HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Game 4 - 10/15/08 - Nashville @ Dallas - 7:30 CT

Old
10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Game 4 - 10/15/08 - Nashville @ Dallas - 7:30 CT

Nashville (2-1-0) @ Dallas (0-1-1)

Date:
10/15/08 - 7:30 Central

Arena:
American Airlines Center
Dallas, TX

Link to NHL.com Gamecenter:
http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cons...?id=2008020047

TV:
FSN-S (Nashville), FSN-SW (Dallas)

Projected starting goaltenders:
Nashville - Dan Ellis (2-1-0) - 2.61 GAA, .881 SV%
Dallas - Marty Turco (0-1-1) - 3.99 GAA, .864 SV%

Injuries:
Nashville:
Jason Arnott (Hand), Nick Tarnasky (Hand), Steve Sullivan (Back), Jed Ortmeyer (Knee)

Dallas:
Jere Lehtinen (Groin), Sergei Zubov (Hip)

Season series:
Nashville leads 1-0

10/11/08 - Dallas @ Nashville - 1-3

All time series:
This will be the 38th meeting between the two clubs. Nashville is 14-21-1-1 against Dallas.

Team leaders:

Nashville:

Goals - Jason Arnott (2)
Assists - J.P. Dumont (5)
Points - J.P. Dumont (5)
+/- - J.P. Dumont (2)

Dallas:

Goals - Trevor Daley (2)
Assists - Stephane Robidas (3)
Points - Stephane Robidas (3)
+/- - Brad Richards (1)

Other items:
J.P. Dumont will skate in his 600th career NHL game tonight.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 10-15-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Jarnberg

Regarding filling the shoes of Arnott:

Quote:
The Predators won't recall any players from Milwaukee of the American Hockey League. Nashville can move forwards currently playing wing such as Rich Peverley, Vern Fiddler or Jerred Smithson to center.
Regarding Klein:

Quote:
Switching up? Should the Predators go with six defensemen against Dallas, they might switch Kevin Klein with Ville Koistinen, who's been a healthy scratch for the past two games.

Klein played just over six minutes Monday.

"There were some things I noticed in his one-on-one play and a little bit of casualness in certain areas,'' Trotz said of Klein, who scored Nashville's second goal on a breakaway.
Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....810150415/1028

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
What is it that Trotz sees with Klein that I don't. IMHO he is better than koistenen, zanon, and de vries.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Trotz has consistently baffled me over the years. This is just another example.....He calls out Klein's play, despite only giving him 6 minutes and in those minutes, seeing Klein once again make something happen offensively.

10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Two phrases to characterize the coach:
1) blind spot(s)
2) Man crush(es)

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:38 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
besides that Ville also seems a bit softer than Klein. This game will need some muscle.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
lugnut76

I found it interesting that Trotz also takes a shot or two at Legwand. He might be right but I don't think you use the media to motivate guys. Overall I have been a supporter of Trotz, but calling players out in the media is the one part of him that I can't stand. But I guess if Legwand comes out and scores himself a hat-trick I will gladly eat my words.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Oh, why don't we split the difference...

Trotz (like all of us) see special talents within Klein and know that he has not reached his full potential yet. Obviously, Trotz (et al) see that too and believe that it is Klein's attention to detail or whatever that are holding him back from living up to that full potential. Whatever it is, the most direct and usually most effective way of getting that message through is taking away a player's ice time. Trust me, whatever the issue is, Klein has heard about it repeatedly from the coaching staff.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Oh, why don't we split the difference...

Trotz (like all of us) see special talents within Klein and know that he has not reached his full potential yet. Obviously, Trotz (et al) see that too and believe that it is Klein's attention to detail or whatever that are holding him back from living up to that full potential. Whatever it is, the most direct and usually most effective way of getting that message through is taking away a player's ice time. Trust me, whatever the issue is, Klein has heard about it repeatedly from the coaching staff.
So, hard work trumps results?

Koisitinen sucks. You can say that I'm being extreme or glossing the issue. But it's a fact. He is not good. Not even offensively. Nothing he does is better than what Klein does, even when he's being "casual." So what's the benefit? Our roster takes a step back to help someone "reach their potential?"

Going back to my first statement...it's the explanation why year in and year out, the Vernon Fiddlers, Jerred Smithsons, and even going back a few years the Greg Johnsons and Vitali Yachmenevs are consistently rewarded and even put in roles they're not suited to. Trotz really likes the butt-busters, and isn't afraid to misuse them to reward them.

As for the game, we're in for an asskicking. We dominated Dallas the last game, but we're now without Arnott, we're in their building, and they're likely ticked off.

4-1 Stars.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

First - lets stop saying Koistenen "sucks". He doesn't. He isn't a number 1, a number 2, or heck, even a number 4. However, he is a decent number 5/6 defender who has the ability to be a bonus on the PP. Now, he has obvious issues - skating stands out....as does his tendency to let people skate past him in the defensive zone.

Second - Klein obviously has some knocks on him as well, yet, he is easily more talented than Koistenen and Zanon and just about every aspect of their game.

Third - Trotz has always rewarded the hard workers, i.e. his practice warriors to a fault. We know that.

Lastly - I think that at some point Klein is going to get the spot full time. It may take an injury, but it is clear that Poile does not want to give up on Klein regardless of Trotz's tendencies.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
First - lets stop saying Koistenen "sucks". He doesn't. He isn't a number 1, a number 2, or heck, even a number 4. However, he is a decent number 5/6 defender who has the ability to be a bonus on the PP. Now, he has obvious issues - skating stands out....as does his tendency to let people skate past him in the defensive zone.

Second - Klein obviously has some knocks on him as well, yet, he is easily more talented than Koistenen and Zanon and just about every aspect of their game.

Third - Trotz has always rewarded the hard workers, i.e. his practice warriors to a fault. We know that.

Lastly - I think that at some point Klein is going to get the spot full time. It may take an injury, but it is clear that Poile does not want to give up on Klein regardless of Trotz's tendencies.

I disagree that Koistinen has even offensive merit. His passing on the PP is rushed and often shows poor judgement. His skating hurts him in regard to staying open, and he's worse than Zidlicky at holding the puck in. He reminds me of Zids in some ways...but at a level that I think would only shine through in the minors.

I speak somewhat out of frustration with Trotz and the way he does things..but remember I think Trotz should have been fired two seasons ago. I do think Klein is being subjected to what we've seen in the past, and it IS frustrating because he is clearly better than a lot of people that are playing over him.

Old
10-15-2008, 01:21 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I found it interesting that Trotz also takes a shot or two at Legwand.
Who's Legwand? When did we get him?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM

is Pekka Rinne going to play any time soon?

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesKnowsBest View Post
is Pekka Rinne going to play any time soon?
Look for him to probably see his first action in one of our next two games - a back to back, home and home set with Columbus this Friday and Saturday.

BTW, if I haven't said it enough...Rinne is the real deal.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Look for him to probably see his first action in one of our next two games - a back to back, home and home set with Columbus this Friday and Saturday.

So was Lasak, according to a couple of nameless coaches in the organization

I have a hard time assigning 'realdealness' until a goalie comes in and shows it...a couple of seasons in a row.

Old
10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
So was Lasak, according to a couple of nameless coaches in the organization

I have a hard time assigning 'realdealness' until a goalie comes in and shows it...a couple of seasons in a row.
Wasn't Finley the "real deal" too?

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
Wasn't Finley the "real deal" too?
Nah, I think Finley was iffy from the day he was drafted. It was just a tough draft, in regard to the first round.

Old
10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Koistinen in the lineup = 1 more viewer for the debate

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I can totally see why Klein is scratched... only played 6 minutes yet managed a penalty and 2 turnovers that I remember (one of which led to a very good scoring chance). Yea he got a pretty goal, but it was a situation attributed to luck. I can understand why Trotz doesn't want to let Klein think he made up his defensive errors just because he scored a lucky goal.

It may seem like I'm a Klein hater. I love the guy. He's got great potential. But right NOW, he is no better defensively than Zanon or deVries. Klein needs time to develope. Trotz doesn't believe in sacrificing team play for the benefit of an individual. And I agree with him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I can totally see why Klein is scratched... only played 6 minutes yet managed a penalty and 2 turnovers that I remember (one of which led to a very good scoring chance). Yea he got a pretty goal, but it was a situation attributed to luck. I can understand why Trotz doesn't want to let Klein think he made up his defensive errors just because he scored a lucky goal.

It may seem like I'm a Klein hater. I love the guy. He's got great potential. But right NOW, he is no better defensively than Zanon or deVries. Klein needs time to develope. Trotz doesn't believe in sacrificing team play for the benefit of an individual. And I agree with him.
Seeing as how he is significantly better than Devries, Zanon, and Koistenen offensively - saying he is only "just as good" defensively is not a sound reason to exculde him from the lineup......

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
kakemono

I can see us using Klien in a year or two to fill out our top 4.

Weber, Suter, Hamhius, Klien.

I can't really say the same for Koistenen or deVries. Zanon I could not see in our top 4... ever, but I could see us keeping him for quite a while. I don't think our 5-6 combination will be getting hardly any ice time behind that front four. We have already seen 3 of these guys start taking on 1st pairing minutes.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:

That is good, I picked him up as a free agent in my fantasy pool, hopefully he can help me out!

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Seeing as how he is significantly better than Devries, Zanon, and Koistenen offensively - saying he is only "just as good" defensively is not a sound reason to exculde him from the lineup......
Well my reasoning is in the first paragraph. And I never claimed to be any good at making arguments, lol. I guess "just as good" doesn't really help my case . Rephrased: Klein is not as good defensively as Zanon or *gulp* deVries. Yeah. I said it.

I assume thats the plan, kake. Let deVries walk this offseason and have Klein fill his spot. In 3 years, our defense top 4 will be sick (as long as Hammer re-signs). I'm not sure I have an opinion on Koistinen yet. He's streaky from what I've seen. And who knows how well he'll perform without Zidlicky this year.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think I know how to make my fortune-- get royalties on the phrase 'Predators on an odd man rush... and the shot goes high against the glass by ________' (fill in the blank with Tootoo, Fiddler, Nichol, etc.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

pathetic defensive zone coverage to allow Mr. Overrated Brunnstrom to net his first NHL goal

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote