HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Old
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
It was dark day for sure, I recall crying that day.

I hate to be the downer guy that every one hates, but in reality, if a life is worth a life. Why do we care so much about this day? 2000 people died? I wish, I wish that was a huge amount relative to deaths due to terrorism and war in the rest of the world. Reality is that is just tiny drop and a massive bucked of death. Just look no further then Iraq. don't get me wrong, I don't want to look down on the event, I feel for all the people that lost their lives. However when you start to isolate one atrocity as really bad over the others. Well you are starting to value some people over others. I value those that lost their lives in 911 no more than the 5 mill who have died in the Congo over the past 5 years, or the half a million in the Sudan, or the millions in Iraq. Sadly people need to wake up and realize 9-11 in the whole scope of death in the world, was a drop in a bucket.

Last edited by okgooil: 09-12-2008 at 02:56 PM.
okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post

I hate to be the downer guy that every one hates, but in reality, if a life is worth a life. Why do we care so much about this day? 2000 people died? I wish, I wish that was a huge amount relative to deaths due to terrorism and war in the rest of the world. Reality is that is just tiny drop and a massive bucked of death. Just look no further then Iraq. don't get me wrong, I don't want to look down on the event, I feel for all the people that lost their lives. However when you start to isolate one atrocity as really bad over the others. Well you are starting to value some people over others. I value those that lost their lives in Iraq no more than the 5 mill who have died in the Congo over the past 5 years, or the half a million in the Sudan, or the millions in Iraq. Sadly people need to wake up and realize 9-11 in the whole scope of death in the world, was a drop in a bucket.
i dont like you

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I hate to be the downer guy that every one hates, but in reality, if a life is worth a life. Why do we care so much about this day? 2000 people died? I wish, I wish that was a huge amount relative to deaths due to terrorism and war in the rest of the world. Reality is that is just tiny drop and a massive bucked of death. Just look no further then Iraq. don't get me wrong, I don't want to look down on the event, I feel for all the people that lost their lives. However when you start to isolate one atrocity as really bad over the others. Well you are starting to value some people over others. I value those that lost their lives in 911 no more than the 5 mill who have died in the Congo over the past 5 years, or the half a million in the Sudan, or the millions in Iraq. Sadly people need to wake up and realize 9-11 in the whole scope of death in the world, was a drop in a bucket.
Something else was lost that day that can't be measured in 'a body count'.

And for that to happen in what we call the advanced society, yes it is a big deal, bigger than you think thats for sure.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Airborne Troll*

I watched a video about it yesterday

Geez, it was really a sad day

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I was in 7th grade Math class. My teacher left the room and came running back in and turned the TV on. We watched it all morning without actually having class, and then a few hours later the principal gave everyone the option to leave early.

I didn't understand too much about it back then, but I do today and that was definitely a terrible thing to see happen. I couldn't imagine how bad it was for all of the people involved in the attacks, whether directly or indirectly.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 03:56 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Something else was lost that day that can't be measured in 'a body count'.

And for that to happen in what we call the advanced society, yes it is a big deal, bigger than you think thats for sure.
well clearly as a political event with ramifications, yes it was a huge event. However beyond that how was more lost then other events that kill 2000 people? Becuase in other countries they are use to death? Thus less is lost. I mean really, just asking?

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
FrolundasFinest

I remember that day all too vividly...

I was in 3rd period Gym (about 10am), when the word got out that a plane hit the trade center. Then 15 minutes later it was two planes. Considering I was in Manhattan at the time, that is when things got scary. I spent the rest of the day fearing for my family members that work across the street, my cousin who went to school down the block; fearing for friends at that same school, and fearing for the brave men and women whose job it was to go into the builidings knowing odds were that they were not coming out alive.

Most of you don't know what it is like to sit in school watching this all on TV and wondering what is the closest big building to you and if that is hit will it effect you. It turned out to be the Empire State Building for me and I would not have been at risk of anything major happening to me personally. I was scared to go home from school that day, because the roads were closed so I couldn't take a bus, which meant I had to take the subway. What followed was probably the scariest hour of my life, wondering if there was another attacker on board, and if I was going to die. I made it home and thankfully no one I knew personally passed away that day. But I know at least 40 to 50 people who knew someone who died that day.

To know that the planes flew over me while I was minding my business in physics made me realize how fragile life truly is and how everything can change in an instant. The horrible things that happened in New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania should not be forgotten and I know that they never will. I know that one of you said that what happened is just a drop in the bucket of death, but that wasn't the point. Yesterday was not the 7th anniversary of "September 11th: The Day 3000 People Died," it was the 7th anniversary of the September 11th Terrorist Attacks. That is what they did that day, the put terror and fear into the hearts of millions all over the world. However, n the grand scheme of things, 3000 people in one day in only 3 places is a lot of death, no matter what way you slice it. Not to mention the people that have been effected by the lasting environment change in lower Manhattan that are still dying to this day.

To those that lost people on that fateful day, I hope that yesterday was not that bad for you and that your loved ones rest in peace.

FrolundasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
the plane that hit the pentagon

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
BrentZ10

Quote:

That is a pretty ignorant way to look at it. While the lives lost in Sudan, Iraq, etc. are no less important then those lost on 9-11 that is no way to look at this.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:44 PM
SlowShot

Quote:

Agree. Sure it was a horrible thing that happend, but countries in Africa have lost alot more lifes that you never hear about.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

I understand what you're saying and a lot of people will not take kindly to what you've said but a lot of it just has to do with the situation. Iraq is a war (right or wrong) and casualties are expected. Then you look at things like the Congo, and there is a lack of awareness by many in North America, as you're blinded by the things you have and the things you can do here. It's just a little blip on the radar. When these things happened to us on 9/11, it was finally something tangible and real, it wasn't a celeb OD'ing, or a rapper getting shot, or anything like you're used to in the media... it was our backyard. It was friends and family. We hadn't really been attacked like this since Pearl Harbor (minus the other trade center bombing, although that wasn't as effective) and frankly a large chunk of the population just sees PH as something in a history book that they had to read about for a test, and not really understand the state of the nation and the ramifications of it happening. Sorry, i'm trying to make sense, I know my thoughts are a bit fragmented here.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it was something that many never could ever imagine personally experiencing so it hit people that much harder. That isn't to discredit the things that have happened before, it was just never in our backyard like this was.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I was in American history class - kinda ironic.

My friend's dad was in the exact opposite side of the pentagon.

Scary times.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Your side...

My side...

Whatever your side - humanity lost out that day and no plaque, no war, no revenge will ever bring back what was lost. Go forward in your life and treat everyone with the respect they give you, honor the fallen by rising above the depravity of mankind.
Beautiful and so true. Live, laugh and love. Things are just too short to hate.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
I remember vividly, incidentally I didn't even find out about it til I got to school at about 9 AM pacific, a good 3-4 hours after it happened.
Really? I couldn't escape it that day. It was probably for the best that you did. There were a ton of false "reports" that John Wayne and LAX were hit, which really freaked me out because my wife works right by John Wayne.

I would have rather heard the way you did.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Payaso619*

I was in Whistler, British-Columbia when it happened, I was real skeptical about it, and to this day I still am

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
I was in Whistler, British-Columbia when it happened, I was real skeptical about it, and to this day I still am
What are you skeptical about?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
What are you skeptical about?
That's a discussion that I'll talk about somewhere else.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
I was in 8th grade...I just had religion and went to break and my friend said something about the twin towers getting hit...I thought it was something he learned history because that's where he came from and what I had next. Went to history class and watched the coverage on TV. It hit me that my cousin worked in the second tower that got hit and I was worried. My mom called the school at lunch to let me know he wasn't at work. He was suppose to head to work later an usually because the New York Giants and the Baltimore Ravens played the night before. If it wasn't for that game he would went to work on time. He later said where the second plane hit was around the same floor he worked on.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:
well clearly as a political event with ramifications, yes it was a huge event. However beyond that how was more lost then other events that kill 2000 people? Becuase in other countries they are use to death? Thus less is lost. I mean really, just asking?
Ane no-one can give you that answer, because you're right. It has happened a zillion times before, and the only difference is that this time USA was the victim.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I remember this day very well.

Had first period spare in my senior year of high school, so was flipping through the channels, then caught the footage on CNN of smoke pouring out of the first building, while the reporters were going on about how it was possibly an erroneous pilot who lost his way and crashed.

Then I watched as a second plane hit the other tower. Called up my friend who was about to leave to pick me up for school, and told him to turn it on CNN, quick. He said OK, hung up, then in the car on the way there we speculated over what was going on. By the time we got to school, word still hadn't spread, so I was telling other people what I saw. Teachers as well.

Not long afterwards, PA system alerted the school of the situation. No evac, nothing like that, but a moment of silence, and then the day went on as usual.

Weird thing is, the very next morning I suffered a 100% collapse of my left lung. I remember having attributed it to stress over being glued to the TV the previous morning and evening. Still think there's a connection there.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 50
I can also remember that fateful day.

I was getting a ride to school from my mom (9th grade) when a radio announcement came on that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I thought that it was probably some Cessna that had gotten lost in some fog. I went to my first class and was the first one there (like usual). The second person to that class came in a minute after I did and said we need to turn the TV on.

We set up the TV and got it on about a minute after the 2nd plane hit. From then on, I don't believe I said another word that day. Everyone sat in silence during that first class except for one person crying because her grandmother worked in the WTC. It was at about that time that I relieved that we were not just watching buildings burn, but live lost.

I went to gym after that, I remember watching the towers fall in a small office for the gym teacher. I remember running a mile on a outdoor track south of Denver with a clear view of downtown. I didn't take my eyes off downtown in fear that if I did, it might disappear. I remember the anger I felt when my history teacher refused to let us watch TV that day. How could a little ******* deny us the right to watch our lives change.

To this day, those events still haunt me. I wonder what life would be like if it never happened.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I can also remember that fateful day.

I was getting a ride to school from my mom (9th grade) when a radio announcement came on that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I thought that it was probably some Cessna that had gotten lost in some fog. I went to my first class and was the first one there (like usual). The second person to that class came in a minute after I did and said we need to turn the TV on.
Those were my first thoughts as well when I heard about it. I was pretty shocked when I saw that it was actually two huge airliners that crashed into the towers.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:13 PM
invictus

I just remember staying up crazy late watching news updates. And i remember when my radio alarm went off the next day it was playing "Gone Away" by the offspring. the line "heaven feels so far away" never seemed so fitting

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:17 PM
RangersAM99

i was in fourth grade at the time in (new jersey) and i remember the teachers all put us into a large room and asked us if we had any parents working in the new york city area, of course I had know idea what was going on and later that day when i got picked up at school my dad explained to me what happened, it was a horrible day that day just horrible

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:06 PM
hockeydemon05

Send a message via AIM to hockeydemon05
I was in 6th grade, on the west coast so by the time I had woke up I saw my Grandpa watching TV almost crying (my Uncle was in the 2nd WTC - couldn't get a hold of him). At that point I didn't really understand/realize how big a deal it was. I knew a plane hit the building, but my mom didn't tell me that was where my uncle was working.

I just went to school and everyone was talking about it, but it really hit me when my Friends mom said, this day will be in your history books forever.

I got home and my Grandpa explained to me that my Uncle did make it out, but also the effect this would have on everyone.

hockeydemon05 is offline   Reply With Quote