HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/min

Old
09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Edm/min

Well the Oil need a super star scorer and have a ton of young talent. The Wild have a superstar who is unhappy enough to look at leaving as a UFA.

Here is my Proposal.

Edmonton gets Gaborik

Minn gets Cogliano and Horcoff.

The drop of in Talent from Gaborik to Horcoff is offset by including Cogliano. Horcoff would excel in the Minn system and Gaborik is ideal for the Oilers system. Cogliano has the making of a very good 1st to 2nd line forward and would be in the minn system for years to come.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 11900
Horcoff was just signed to a ling extension and Cogliano is a great young player while Gaborik is a very injury prone pending FA. Please...

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:03 PM
IBleedOil247

Horcoff will put up more points in the same amount of games as Gaborik this year! Mark my words!

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
Horcoff will put up more points in the same amount of games as Gaborik this year! Mark my words!
The question isn't what Gaborik would produce in Minny its what he would produce with Hemsky and Gagner.

I am also using the assumption that the Oilers new owner would buck up to keep gaborik, so the contract would have to be non issue.

As good as it is that Horcoff is extended, we still need a game breaking scorer and he just isn't it.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:15 PM
BattleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
The question isn't what Gaborik would produce in Minny its what he would produce with Hemsky and Gagner.

I am also using the assumption that the Oilers new owner would buck up to keep gaborik, so the contract would have to be non issue.

As good as it is that Horcoff is extended, we still need a game breaking scorer and he just isn't it.
Of course it would be an issue. Gaborik would just leave after 1 season. Edmonton gets hosed on this deal. I'd rather just wait a year and sign Hossa.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Fairest Gaborik proposal I've seen.. guys, this is what a star player costs in the NHL (unless you're dealing with an insane GM bent on moving their franchise player, like O'Connell with Thornton or Keenan with Luongo).

The question marks around Gaborik mean that Edmonton might not want to take this chance - it is very much a high risk, high reward scenario - but I don't see them acquiring a player with Gaborik's ability any other way given their apparent difficulty attracting UFAs.

Realistically, they won't trade a guy like Horcoff at this point though.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
IBleedOil247

Gaborik is very overrated. The guy gets paid way to much money right now and just had his highest point production season ever last year at 83 points!!!! He is a UFA next year and will no doubt recieve a hefty raise! Not worth the hassle, especially for a guy who is VERY injury prone.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Of course it would be an issue. Gaborik would just leave after 1 season. Edmonton gets hosed on this deal. I'd rather just wait a year and sign Hossa.
Or Gaborik for nothing.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Brian28

I don't see this beinga good trade. If Gaborik was locked up for another year or two I might be tempted, but if he was Minn wouldn't be trading him anyway. They'll only trade him if they don't expect to resign him...but if that's the case why would we have to give Cogliano and Horcoff for a player they're dumping before he walks?

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Section337

Despite Gaborik being the best player of the three and if you ignore the possibility of his not resigning, the Oilers cannot make this deal after having dealt Stoll and not signing Reasoner. This would leave them with Brodziak as the only guy who was a full time centre last year, and Gagner who shared the duty with Cogliano. Further centres would be Pouliot (?), Schremp (?).

If they were to trade Horcoff, they would be giving up 3000+ face-offs from last year, which would mean on a defensive zone face-off the linesman may as well just throw the puck to the opponents' defense. It would make them even worse at holding a lead at the end of the game, which was the worst aspect of their play (as shown by all the OTs and SOs).

Then there would be the penalty kill. Losing Horcoff, on top of Stoll and Reasoner, would mean that 3 of the top 4 (add Pisani) PK forwards from last year are gone. And adding Cogliano means 4 of the top 6 (add Brodziak) PK forwards are gone. Then there is the 5 on 3 PK, where Pisani/Brodziak would have to step up to replace Horcoff (#1) and Stoll (#2).

This trade would be disastrous and points out how much the Oilers will depend upon Horcoff this year.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
mxk83

This trade would leave Edmonton awfully thin at centre. Losing a potential 80pt solid 2 way centre in Horcoff and up and coming 60+ pt centre in Cogliano could not be made up with a one dimensional injury prone Gaborik. That being said, Gaborik is a great goal scorer, I think if Edmonton could make a trade with Penner, Cole, or Nilsson as the primary piece and add on from that it would be more doable. As it would keep our depth at centre and we could fill spots on the wing much easier.

mxk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
resigning Gabby is the key---I he is heading to UFA and that would concern the oiler fans

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Hyperkookeez*

gaborik and hemsky would be insane to see play together

but yea edm probably wont want to trade away a heart n soul player they can use in all situations and a promising prospect

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
me123456789

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Fairest Gaborik proposal I've seen.. guys, this is what a star player costs in the NHL (unless you're dealing with an insane GM bent on moving their franchise player, like O'Connell with Thornton or Keenan with Luongo).

The question marks around Gaborik mean that Edmonton might not want to take this chance - it is very much a high risk, high reward scenario - but I don't see them acquiring a player with Gaborik's ability any other way given their apparent difficulty attracting UFAs.

Realistically, they won't trade a guy like Horcoff at this point though.
Laughable. From 2006 to present the signings go.

Oilers. Marty Reasoner, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Petr Sykora, Sheldon Souray, Dustin Penner (I know he wasn't unrestricted but we didn't trade for him), Dick Tarnstrom, Jason Strudwick

Canucks
- Marc Chouinard, Jan Bulis, Rory Fitzpatrick (hey he was almost an all-star ), Brad Isbister, Willie Mitchel, Aaron Miller, Curtis Sanford, Darcy Hordichuk, Ryan Johnson, Nolan Baumgartner, Mark Cullen, Rob Davison, Pavol Demitra, Jason Krog

I know, it's not alot of people Edmonton has signed, but come on! The at least can say that all of our signings are NHL caliber players. I would take Petr Sykora over anyone of those players. I would take Souray and D*Pen over everyone except Mitchel because of his great defense and leadership.

Just because some ****** with horrible hair and big gap teeth (i'm not gonna say who it is cause that would just stir things up) decided to skip out on Edmonton AND his contract does not mean that every UFA is going to avoid playing there. It's a great City. Definatly not the best but definatly not the worst. I live in Vancouver now and it's beautiful here. But if you compare the looks of the two cities and their UFA signings it almost seems like they should be reversed with the way you're thinking.

me123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Or Gaborik for nothing.
28 other NHL teams say hi...

Probably one of the most reasonable trade proposals involving big talent around. The contract is an issue...Edmonton shouldn't do it without an extension or some assurance that Gaborik will stick around.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
me123456789

The original trade is fine. But I think if Gabby doesn't re-sign with the Oil they should get Horc and Cogs back.

me123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123456789 View Post
The original trade is fine. But I think if Gabby doesn't re-sign with the Oil they should get Horc and Cogs back.
That would be the most monumental "future considerations" ever

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Oilers would have to find another center somewhere or run the risk of never winning a face off again, ever.

Although I imagine Gaborik-Gagner-Hemsky would be pretty good.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
6 years of Cogliano and 7 years of Horcoff for 1 year of Gaborik?

Pass.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
oilerfan17

No way this happens. This deal would leave Edmonton extremely thin down the middle both now and in the future, lacking any proven defensively sound centers, lacking any proven faceoff men, and lacking the team's most valuable player for one year of Gaborik. How does that make any sense at all?

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
6 years of Cogliano and 7 years of Horcoff for 1 year of Gaborik?

Pass.
add to that division rivals

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
what about:

Penner,Smid,1st,Brule
for Gaborik?

Gaborik-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cole-Gagner-Nilsson
Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
Potulny-Brodziak-Stortini

OR the Oilers could take a chance and wait to see if he makes it to FA to take a run at him next year.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

No for Smid. No for Brule (we already got enough smallish players on our team) and Penner is overrated and overpaid.

Coliagno would be an intriguing piece but he would have to swing out from center and so would Horcoff.

I don't see Minnesota moving Gaborik for two centers when right now they have a bunch of centers.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
RNHall

yeah im really not wanting to give up Cogliano or any of the young guys quite yet, plus from the oilers pov i think thats giving a little to much up right now, just my thoughts tho

RNHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:54 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Well the Oil need a super star scorer and have a ton of young talent. The Wild have a superstar who is unhappy enough to look at leaving as a UFA.

Here is my Proposal.

Edmonton gets Gaborik

Minn gets Cogliano and Horcoff.
If it was a straight up trade I'd totally go for it. I think that Horcoff is being overpaid a bit... but to throw in Cogliano isn't fair, because he'll be an RFA in 2 seasons, while Gaborik would be able to just walk away from it all if he doesn't want to stay with the Oil.

What about

Edmonton gets Gaborik
Minn gets Horcoff and Schremp

??

I think that would be a fair trade. But it won't happen. I really don't get why Edmonton has invested so heavily in Horcoff. I hope to learn why in this upcoming season. I think we're a little heavy at center, though. Gagner will take the job away from Horcoff after next season, while Nilson, Cogliano and Brodziak would all look good playing 2nd line center. (All of them can play center, and for at least two of them it's their natural position.)

Cole - Gagner - Gaborik - Cole wins battles in corners and scores big goals standing in front of the net. Gagner looks like an absolute wizard with the put setting up his wingers. Playing under Edmonton's system with a good playmaker and a good group of defensemen Gaborik breaks 50 goals. Defintely like the look of that line.

Penner - Cogliano - Hemsky
Nilson - Brodziak - Pisani
Moreau - Poliot - Stortini

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote