HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missiaen stands out.

Old
09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

vCash: 500
Missiaen stands out.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnew...olumnists.atom

The 6'8 goalie is really looking like a nice person.

One inch shorter than Chara heh...too late to learn how to play defense, kid?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Really? A 6'8" goalie stands out? You don't say

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Well hopefully his determination is enough to get him working out and listening to Melanson to work on his technique. His size is an asset that no other goalie has, it's pretty much impossible to screen him. Best of luck to him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Iwishihadacup

lets ask some guys of the team to top net him and lets laugh!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

My opinion is two-fold, one on why Missiaen could be ok and another why he won't be....

It could work because...He really isn't that awkward, he just looks like it. Because we are used to seeing goalie that are generally around the 6' mark. When we see guys like Dryden and Price and Burke and Grahame that are 6'2, 6'3 they look unusual, and often end up looking awkward. And in the same
vein, a guy like Missiaen, who dwarfs men like Dryden and company, looks VERY awkward. He could develop to be a great goalie.

It possibly couldn't work because....to my knowledge, there is no goalie technique that works that great with a man that size. Stand up covers lots of place but leaves a huge 5 hole. In the Buttertly, IMO the traditional weakness butterfly goalies have (Above their shoulders when on the ice) flip-flops for Missiaen and moves to his 5 hole (Naturally larger), and to the space between his legs and his arms; while the place above his shoulder is basically out of the net.

This guy needs to develop a nasty, ugly, unique style based on reflexes and great decision making on what to do in each situation based on his unique size. Or else, I fear he will be prone to be figured out and shellacked fairly quickly when he'll turn pro.

Old
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Artyukhin*

everyone including Jason knows he got along way to go and everyone in the regard seems to be on the same page. This was one of those high risk high reward type picks we could afford with Halak , Price ,Denis etc. Were pretty deep in goal .

I want to see him in another 5-6 years,6'8 goalies don't grow on trees pretty interesting pick if it ever pans out .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

He's still growing, I saw him a couple of times, and he's really pretty good ! the only thing is he's still pretty slow, but his agility, flexibility, positioning is impressive when you think of his potential, I was discussing camp with Benoit Brunet earlier this summer and he said something like '' man, what I wouldn't give to take a shot at this guy ''

the kid is just haaaaaa uuuuuge !

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Kenny Powders

Nice read! I hope he'll turn off good, this guy could become a beast in this league...

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
My opinion is two-fold, one on why Missiaen could be ok and another why he won't be....

It could work because...He really isn't that awkward, he just looks like it. Because we are used to seeing goalie that are generally around the 6' mark. When we see guys like Dryden and Price and Burke and Grahame that are 6'2, 6'3 they look unusual, and often end up looking awkward. And in the same
vein, a guy like Missiaen, who dwarfs men like Dryden and company, looks VERY awkward. He could develop to be a great goalie.

It possibly couldn't work because....to my knowledge, there is no goalie technique that works that great with a man that size. Stand up covers lots of place but leaves a huge 5 hole. In the Buttertly, IMO the traditional weakness butterfly goalies have (Above their shoulders when on the ice) flip-flops for Missiaen and moves to his 5 hole (Naturally larger), and to the space between his legs and his arms; while the place above his shoulder is basically out of the net.

This guy needs to develop a nasty, ugly, unique style based on reflexes and great decision making on what to do in each situation based on his unique size. Or else, I fear he will be prone to be figured out and shellacked fairly quickly when he'll turn pro.
They'll probably be watching a lot of Stephen Valiquette's tape to develop that technique you are talking about. They'll copy some of his style for sure:

Stephen Valiquette 6'7 227
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 13.00 0 0 2 686 25 1 2 2.19 5 3 3 271 0.916 - - - -

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:53 AM
sean84*

well how come thers anoffer sean in the habs forum lol? well dis missaen dude is relly tall so i fink he must be good lol

sean84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

lol I was going to say something like Missiaen stands out ..................side because he couldn't fit n the locker room , but I decided not too ;-)

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:40 AM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
well how come thers anoffer sean in the habs forum lol? well dis missaen dude is relly tall so i fink he must be good lol
wow!

Last edited by dre2112: 09-17-2008 at 05:32 AM.
dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
They'll probably be watching a lot of Stephen Valiquette's tape to develop that technique you are talking about. They'll copy some of his style for sure:

Stephen Valiquette 6'7 227
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 13.00 0 0 2 686 25 1 2 2.19 5 3 3 271 0.916 - - - -
Vally is an awesome goalie.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:15 AM
ctbj

I know I'm bias because he is from my hometown but the scouts must have seen something special in him concidering he was a back up for the Petes, not very often do you see a backup goalie from the OHL get drafted that high. Just my 2 cents

ctbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
post of the year.

09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I spoke with Franz Bergevin-Jean a few days ago (he's the goaltender coach for the Moncton Wildcats and attended the development camp in July) and he said that he was impressed by him. Normally, someone tall like him will be clumsy, but he said that he's already pretty agile. He really likes his potential!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While I don't see him playing a game for the Habs for at least another 5+ years, I am excited at the idea of a huge goalie like him. One day we might have the largest goaltending duo in history with these two.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Melanson explains that, while the goalie is six-foot-eight, his muscle group and tendons are still at six-foot-four.

"It's very important for his improvement the next few years in junior to stay healthy," he said. "He's experiencing a period of stiffness and soreness that's not normal with other goalies.

Anyone want to venture as to what this means?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Lone Rogue

I think Missiaen will be a future back-up for the Canadiens, the guy you can rely on winning his 20 or so games. It'll also be nice to see a Chatham boy succeed.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Melanson explains that, while the goalie is six-foot-eight, his muscle group and tendons are still at six-foot-four.

"It's very important for his improvement the next few years in junior to stay healthy," he said. "He's experiencing a period of stiffness and soreness that's not normal with other goalies.

Anyone want to venture as to what this means?

Well, it seems pretty self-explanatory.

His growth from 6'4 to 6'8 must be pretty recent, probably over the last year or two and his tendons haven't fully adapted yet, as the bones are what makes someone grow in height, the rest of the body must follow, especially the tendons.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

A 5'4" goaltender presents a tiny, tiny five-hole but lots of ceiling room and he can't stretch to cover the 6' from post to post along the goal line. He can also be screened by Theoren Fleury. He can't push big forwards out of the crease. He needs not only great reflexes but the ability to fly.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
A 5'4" goaltender presents a tiny, tiny five-hole but lots of ceiling room and he can't stretch to cover the 6' from post to post along the goal line. He can also be screened by Theoren Fleury. He can't push big forwards out of the crease. He needs not only great reflexes but the ability to fly.
Absolutely, it`s the opposite for 6`8" guy. That`s why most goalies are around 6`, it's a good balance between not getting beat standing, and not getting beat on the ice.

Old
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
zzoo

For a goalie 6"3 or 6"4, I wonder if his shoulder reaches the vertical bar when he's in butterfly position.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Moon Man*

Hey guys and gals, it's Moon Man. It's great to see that there are limited worries in the pipeline between the pipes. Wait, did that come out right? Let's hope the kid keeps maturing and growing. Growing as an individual that is, not vertically, cause that might be the sign of a thyroid issue.

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, it seems pretty self-explanatory.

His growth from 6'4 to 6'8 must be pretty recent, probably over the last year or two and his tendons haven't fully adapted yet, as the bones are what makes someone grow in height, the rest of the body must follow, especially the tendons.
So does that mean he'll be prone to tendon tears?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote