HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missiaen stands out.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
  #1
Phil Parent
Moderator
HALL PASS BRAH!!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
Missiaen stands out.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnew...olumnists.atom

The 6'8 goalie is really looking like a nice person.

One inch shorter than Chara heh...too late to learn how to play defense, kid?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
  #2
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Awards:
Really? A 6'8" goalie stands out? You don't say

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
  #3
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 612
Well hopefully his determination is enough to get him working out and listening to Melanson to work on his technique. His size is an asset that no other goalie has, it's pretty much impossible to screen him. Best of luck to him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
  #4
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
lets ask some guys of the team to top net him and lets laugh!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
  #5
Phil Parent
Moderator
HALL PASS BRAH!!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
My opinion is two-fold, one on why Missiaen could be ok and another why he won't be....

It could work because...He really isn't that awkward, he just looks like it. Because we are used to seeing goalie that are generally around the 6' mark. When we see guys like Dryden and Price and Burke and Grahame that are 6'2, 6'3 they look unusual, and often end up looking awkward. And in the same
vein, a guy like Missiaen, who dwarfs men like Dryden and company, looks VERY awkward. He could develop to be a great goalie.

It possibly couldn't work because....to my knowledge, there is no goalie technique that works that great with a man that size. Stand up covers lots of place but leaves a huge 5 hole. In the Buttertly, IMO the traditional weakness butterfly goalies have (Above their shoulders when on the ice) flip-flops for Missiaen and moves to his 5 hole (Naturally larger), and to the space between his legs and his arms; while the place above his shoulder is basically out of the net.

This guy needs to develop a nasty, ugly, unique style based on reflexes and great decision making on what to do in each situation based on his unique size. Or else, I fear he will be prone to be figured out and shellacked fairly quickly when he'll turn pro.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
  #6
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
everyone including Jason knows he got along way to go and everyone in the regard seems to be on the same page. This was one of those high risk high reward type picks we could afford with Halak , Price ,Denis etc. Were pretty deep in goal .

I want to see him in another 5-6 years,6'8 goalies don't grow on trees pretty interesting pick if it ever pans out .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
  #7
ROEN
@OrenWeizman
 
ROEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
He's still growing, I saw him a couple of times, and he's really pretty good ! the only thing is he's still pretty slow, but his agility, flexibility, positioning is impressive when you think of his potential, I was discussing camp with Benoit Brunet earlier this summer and he said something like '' man, what I wouldn't give to take a shot at this guy ''

the kid is just haaaaaa uuuuuge !

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:58 AM
  #8
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Nice read! I hope he'll turn off good, this guy could become a beast in this league...

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:33 AM
  #9
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
My opinion is two-fold, one on why Missiaen could be ok and another why he won't be....

It could work because...He really isn't that awkward, he just looks like it. Because we are used to seeing goalie that are generally around the 6' mark. When we see guys like Dryden and Price and Burke and Grahame that are 6'2, 6'3 they look unusual, and often end up looking awkward. And in the same
vein, a guy like Missiaen, who dwarfs men like Dryden and company, looks VERY awkward. He could develop to be a great goalie.

It possibly couldn't work because....to my knowledge, there is no goalie technique that works that great with a man that size. Stand up covers lots of place but leaves a huge 5 hole. In the Buttertly, IMO the traditional weakness butterfly goalies have (Above their shoulders when on the ice) flip-flops for Missiaen and moves to his 5 hole (Naturally larger), and to the space between his legs and his arms; while the place above his shoulder is basically out of the net.

This guy needs to develop a nasty, ugly, unique style based on reflexes and great decision making on what to do in each situation based on his unique size. Or else, I fear he will be prone to be figured out and shellacked fairly quickly when he'll turn pro.
They'll probably be watching a lot of Stephen Valiquette's tape to develop that technique you are talking about. They'll copy some of his style for sure:

Stephen Valiquette 6'7 227
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 13.00 0 0 2 686 25 1 2 2.19 5 3 3 271 0.916 - - - -

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:53 AM
  #10
sean84*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ontario canada lol
Country: Canada
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
well how come thers anoffer sean in the habs forum lol? well dis missaen dude is relly tall so i fink he must be good lol

sean84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
  #11
Ryan O'Byrne
Registered User
 
Ryan O'Byrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
lol I was going to say something like Missiaen stands out ..................side because he couldn't fit n the locker room , but I decided not too ;-)

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:40 AM
  #12
dre2112
Registered User
 
dre2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US and A
Country: United States
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
well how come thers anoffer sean in the habs forum lol? well dis missaen dude is relly tall so i fink he must be good lol
wow!


Last edited by dre2112: 09-17-2008 at 05:32 AM.
dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:46 AM
  #13
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
They'll probably be watching a lot of Stephen Valiquette's tape to develop that technique you are talking about. They'll copy some of his style for sure:

Stephen Valiquette 6'7 227
2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 13.00 0 0 2 686 25 1 2 2.19 5 3 3 271 0.916 - - - -
Vally is an awesome goalie.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:15 AM
  #14
ctbj
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I know I'm bias because he is from my hometown but the scouts must have seen something special in him concidering he was a back up for the Petes, not very often do you see a backup goalie from the OHL get drafted that high. Just my 2 cents

ctbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
  #15
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean84 View Post
well how come thers anoffer sean in the habs forum lol? well dis missaen dude is relly tall so i fink he must be good lol
post of the year.

__________________
Hello, this is a signature
Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
  #16
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,530
vCash: 500
I spoke with Franz Bergevin-Jean a few days ago (he's the goaltender coach for the Moncton Wildcats and attended the development camp in July) and he said that he was impressed by him. Normally, someone tall like him will be clumsy, but he said that he's already pretty agile. He really likes his potential!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
  #17
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,618
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While I don't see him playing a game for the Habs for at least another 5+ years, I am excited at the idea of a huge goalie like him. One day we might have the largest goaltending duo in history with these two.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
  #18
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Melanson explains that, while the goalie is six-foot-eight, his muscle group and tendons are still at six-foot-four.

"It's very important for his improvement the next few years in junior to stay healthy," he said. "He's experiencing a period of stiffness and soreness that's not normal with other goalies.

Anyone want to venture as to what this means?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
  #19
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
I think Missiaen will be a future back-up for the Canadiens, the guy you can rely on winning his 20 or so games. It'll also be nice to see a Chatham boy succeed.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
  #20
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Melanson explains that, while the goalie is six-foot-eight, his muscle group and tendons are still at six-foot-four.

"It's very important for his improvement the next few years in junior to stay healthy," he said. "He's experiencing a period of stiffness and soreness that's not normal with other goalies.

Anyone want to venture as to what this means?

Well, it seems pretty self-explanatory.

His growth from 6'4 to 6'8 must be pretty recent, probably over the last year or two and his tendons haven't fully adapted yet, as the bones are what makes someone grow in height, the rest of the body must follow, especially the tendons.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
  #21
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
My opinion is two-fold, one on why Missiaen could be ok and another why he won't be....

It could work because...He really isn't that awkward, he just looks like it. Because we are used to seeing goalie that are generally around the 6' mark. When we see guys like Dryden and Price and Burke and Grahame that are 6'2, 6'3 they look unusual, and often end up looking awkward. And in the same
vein, a guy like Missiaen, who dwarfs men like Dryden and company, looks VERY awkward. He could develop to be a great goalie.

It possibly couldn't work because....to my knowledge, there is no goalie technique that works that great with a man that size. Stand up covers lots of place but leaves a huge 5 hole. In the Buttertly, IMO the traditional weakness butterfly goalies have (Above their shoulders when on the ice) flip-flops for Missiaen and moves to his 5 hole (Naturally larger), and to the space between his legs and his arms; while the place above his shoulder is basically out of the net.

This guy needs to develop a nasty, ugly, unique style based on reflexes and great decision making on what to do in each situation based on his unique size. Or else, I fear he will be prone to be figured out and shellacked fairly quickly when he'll turn pro.
A 5'4" goaltender presents a tiny, tiny five-hole but lots of ceiling room and he can't stretch to cover the 6' from post to post along the goal line. He can also be screened by Theoren Fleury. He can't push big forwards out of the crease. He needs not only great reflexes but the ability to fly.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
  #22
Phil Parent
Moderator
HALL PASS BRAH!!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
A 5'4" goaltender presents a tiny, tiny five-hole but lots of ceiling room and he can't stretch to cover the 6' from post to post along the goal line. He can also be screened by Theoren Fleury. He can't push big forwards out of the crease. He needs not only great reflexes but the ability to fly.
Absolutely, it`s the opposite for 6`8" guy. That`s why most goalies are around 6`, it's a good balance between not getting beat standing, and not getting beat on the ice.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
  #23
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
For a goalie 6"3 or 6"4, I wonder if his shoulder reaches the vertical bar when he's in butterfly position.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
  #24
Moon Man*
 
Moon Man*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Humiliation Street
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Hey guys and gals, it's Moon Man. It's great to see that there are limited worries in the pipeline between the pipes. Wait, did that come out right? Let's hope the kid keeps maturing and growing. Growing as an individual that is, not vertically, cause that might be the sign of a thyroid issue.

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
  #25
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, it seems pretty self-explanatory.

His growth from 6'4 to 6'8 must be pretty recent, probably over the last year or two and his tendons haven't fully adapted yet, as the bones are what makes someone grow in height, the rest of the body must follow, especially the tendons.
So does that mean he'll be prone to tendon tears?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.