HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

What is up with the B Sens Schedule?

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Calorissi

vCash: 500
What is up with the B Sens Schedule?

I was looking to see how many games Rob Ray will play for the B Sens when I noticed this:

Sat. Feb. 21 Providence 7:05:00 PM
Sun. Feb. 22 Springfield 4:05:00 PM
Mon. Feb. 23 Manchester 7:05:00 PM
Wed. Feb. 25 Wilkes-Barre 7:05:00 PM
Fri. Feb. 27 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sat. Feb. 28 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sun. Feb. 29 Hershey 5:00:00 PM

How can a team be expected to play 3 games in three nights, and do it again the next weekend, oh ya, lets throw another mid week game in there.
7 games in 9 days. That is insane!

They do another 3 in 3 session to close the season as well:
Fri. Apr. 2 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sat. Apr. 3 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sun. Apr. 4 Philadelphia 5:05:00 PM

How are players supposed to stay healthy for the playoffs?
How is that fair to the fans, there must be a pile of terrible games?

To anyone who knows more about the AHL, is this standard practice?

Old
02-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi
I was looking to see how many games Rob Ray will play for the B Sens when I noticed this:

Sat. Feb. 21 Providence 7:05:00 PM
Sun. Feb. 22 Springfield 4:05:00 PM
Mon. Feb. 23 Manchester 7:05:00 PM
Wed. Feb. 25 Wilkes-Barre 7:05:00 PM
Fri. Feb. 27 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sat. Feb. 28 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sun. Feb. 29 Hershey 5:00:00 PM

How can a team be expected to play 3 games in three nights, and do it again the next weekend, oh ya, lets throw another mid week game in there.
7 games in 9 days. That is insane!

They do another 3 in 3 session to close the season as well:
Fri. Apr. 2 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sat. Apr. 3 Norfolk 7:30:00 PM
Sun. Apr. 4 Philadelphia 5:05:00 PM

How are players supposed to stay healthy for the playoffs?
How is that fair to the fans, there must be a pile of terrible games?

To anyone who knows more about the AHL, is this standard practice?
It's similar to major junior hockey, where teams will load up on weekend games, often playing three in three nights, to free up the week days. The idea is that junior player need the week to do school work, so mid week games are limited big time. Some minor league players need to work second jobs, not everybody has a big NHL contract even if it's a two-way deal.

I don't know how common it is, but that's why you see games loaded up on the weekends.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Calorissi

I know they do that in Major Junior, but they are also teenagers. If I remember correctly, I had energy to burn at 18, and I healed almost instantly. Can the same be said for the average AHLer? How is Rob Ray going to keep up?

I guess I see the AHL as a development league, but how much can you develop with that schedule (other than endurance)?

It must be easier to get a crowd to go to the games on weekends as well. That is most likely another reason to have the games centred on weekends.

Old
02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
BingoSensFan

You got it. It's all about the fans. Three games in three nights is par for the course in the AHL. And then in the playoffs, you'll see a team play two games in ten days or more. AHL scheduling has always been like this and it's tough for the players, especially with the bus rides. I guess it makes the players stronger mentally.

Old
02-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Iced

The AHL is a "weekend" league. Weekday games are death for most teams. Most franchises only take Wednesday night games, because they have to.....seems that all teams have to have their share. Like BSF said, 3 games in 3 nights in 3 different cities is par...happens alot. We've already 6 other weekends like this so far. It can make for a grueling grind for fans as well. I'll be at our home game tomorrow night against Providence. Then, Sunday morning, I'll be up and make the 3 1/2-4 hour drive to Springfield,MA for the 4pm game. Monday morning, I'll make the 2-3 hour drive to Manchester, NH for the game that night....then make the 6+ hour drive home on Tuesday morning. Tough on players and tough on fans. But, this is the way it is in the minors.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Calorissi

Iced:

You are a true fan(atic).
Please update the Ottawa crowd on any games that BingoSensFan misses, or add your two cents into the BSens game threads.

We really appreciate the first hand input on the BSens. Keep it up.

Old
02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Iced

The B-Sens played a inspired game against Providence on Friday night and pulled out a 2-1 win. They dressed 14 players (3 short) but then, just a few minutes into the game, Giroux got into a fight and was tossed for his tie down not being connected. So, they played 2 1/2 periods with 13 guys and really gutted out a big win.

However....then came the two road games on Sunday afternoon & Monday night. On Sunday in Springfield, the Falcons built a quick 3-0 lead and throughout the first couple of periods, it was clear that our guys were always a step behind Springfield and that cost them and they fell 5-3. On Monday night in Manchester, it was the Ray Emery show for over 2 periods. The score was 0-0 going into the 3rd period...but Manchester out shot the Senators 14-2 & 12-8 through 2 periods. A couple of defensive mistakes 7-8 minutes into the 3rd cost us the game as Manchester went on to a 2-0 win.

A side note...the 3rd period was delayed by 25 minutes when the pipe that holds up the protective netting behind one goal snapped, causing the mesh to fall onto the ice. They finally, after failing to get the netting back up in position, the arena staff gathered up the mesh and put it behind the glass and had all the fans in about 8 sections relocate to other parts of the arena. Minor league hockey...gotta love it.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Calorissi

Thanks for the updates!

Since you have seen so much of the BSens, is Emery ready for the big time?

Closed Thread