HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk proposals

Old
09-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk proposals

Everyone please stop.

There is a general opinion that everyone around these boards thinks that Atlanta needs to re-build. How is trading the teams best player and face of the franchise (who is only 25) going to help the teams re-building process.

The thrashers are already a young team but if they wanted to further invest in youth they would look to overload Kozlov, White, Klee, Havelid and Hedberg not a 25-year old who is a top 10 player in the NHL.

Don Waddell has shown is hand with the Marian Hossa situation that he is willing to wait until the last minute to get a contract extension to keep the teams stars. Therefore please put your silly proposals and ideas for getting Ilya Kovalchuk from Atlanta away because he is not going anywhere soon.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Everyone please stop.

There is a general opinion that everyone around these boards thinks that Atlanta needs to re-build. How is trading the teams best player and face of the franchise (who is only 25) going to help the teams re-building process.

The thrashers are already a young team but if they wanted to further invest in youth they would look to overload Kozlov, White, Klee, Havelid and Hedberg not a 25-year old who is a top 10 player in the NHL.

Don Waddell has shown is hand with the Marian Hossa situation that he is willing to wait until the last minute to get a contract extension to keep the teams stars. Therefore please put your silly proposals and ideas for getting Ilya Kovalchuk from Atlanta away because he is not going anywhere soon.

Pretty poor example, seeing how Hossa was eventually traded.

Anyways, worlds smallest violin Don't like trade proposals? Don't come to this b.oard

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 12:35 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Everyone please stop.

I don't give a damn about the trade proposals, but your reasoning is flawed.

Kovalchuk might not be traded until the deadline of the final year in his deal, essentially 1 and 3/4 seasons from now, and in fact I don't think he will be, but I really don't see him re-signing there.

I'm not one of these people that things these Southern cities don't deserve to have teams or anything like that, so this is nothing personal about Atlanta, but the Thrashers are a terrible organization.

I think the job Don Waddell has done is atrocious, and the future is not that bright. They have a few good young players, but not enough to make that team competitive, especially considering two of the teams in their division are seriously improving at a fast pace, and another is significantly better than them as it is. I don't want to mention the Panthers, as they're as poorly operated as the Thrashers.

Outside of Pavelec, Bogosian and Enstrom, and possibly Esposito, they have little to look forward to. Lehtonen I feel may never reach his potential, Little doesn't look that great. They overpaid badly for Hainsey.

Now recall that they have failed to replace Savard with a playmaker for Kovalchuk and that beyond him, there is little else in their cupboard offensively. Colby Armstrong and Gramps Kozlov are not very intimidating to opposing defense. They have one legitamite offensive threat, and don't seem capable of acquiring another one to help. They couldn't keep the one they had, either.

Much like Hossa, Kovalchuk is not going to waste more of his career in the wasteland that is the Thrashers organization. I feel bad for the fans in Atlanta because they have to put with a really bad job. And yes, I understand that in that market, things don't come easy to Waddell. But when I look at what David Poile has been doing for years in Nashville, what Don Maloney is doing in PHX and what Jim Rutherford did in Carolina, I think that Waddell could do a lot better.

Kovalchuk is going to get traded like Hossa did at the deadline before his deal ends, and probably will be the biggest free agent available two summers from now.

And personally, I think (and hope) he will sign with the Rangers. I just think it would make too much sense. But that's still very far away. I'm sure I'll get flamed all the same, though.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Pretty poor example, seeing how Hossa was eventually traded.

Anyways, worlds smallest violin Don't like trade proposals? Don't come to this b.oard
Kovalchuk is the heart and soul of the Thrashers, unlike Hossa.

What you (+ the majority of posters, mostly younger posters) need to realize is that you have fans, who actucally realise what a trade means. For you this board is just a friggin game, fun or simply a way to kill time.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Kovy is a winner and being stuck in a losing situation with nothing to really give him any thought that the situation will be changing anytime soon is not going to keep him around. Likely when it comes to the deadline before Kovy his free agency the Thrashers will still suck (and I don't want to attack the Thrashers I like them because I love Kovy and still have a man crush on Army) and what are the odds he will want to sign back up? at that point they will likely have go grab all they can for him at the deadline so in a way it does make sense to look at moving him now for an even bigger return unless your confident that the Thrashers are going to turn things around between now and Kovy becoming a free agent and turn things around to the point where Kovalchuk thinks hey we have a good thing going here and I want to be a part of it, right now what are the odds of the Thrashers reaching that point? and as much as Thrashers fans love Kovy, as much as they say he is the heart of the team do any of you really like your chances of keeping Kovalchuk at this rate? it sucks to think about losing such a talent sure but to be realistic this is a guy with so much pride and just loses time and time again with a management team that has done piss all to help him.

However the Kovalchuk proposals around here do suck.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Kovy is a winner and being stuck in a losing situation with nothing to really give him any thought that the situation will be changing anytime soon is not going to keep him around. Likely when it comes to the deadline before Kovy his free agency the Thrashers will still suck (and I don't want to attack the Thrashers I like them because I love Kovy and still have a man crush on Army) and what are the odds he will want to sign back up? at that point they will likely have go grab all they can for him at the deadline so in a way it does make sense to look at moving him now for an even bigger return unless your confident that the Thrashers are going to turn things around between now and Kovy becoming a free agent and turn things around to the point where Kovalchuk thinks hey we have a good thing going here and I want to be a part of it, right now what are the odds of the Thrashers reaching that point? and as much as Thrashers fans love Kovy, as much as they say he is the heart of the team do any of you really like your chances of keeping Kovalchuk at this rate? it sucks to think about losing such a talent sure but to be realistic this is a guy with so much pride and just loses time and time again with a management team that has done piss all to help him.

However the Kovalchuk proposals around here do suck.
There are some big names on some really crappy teams that also fall into this category that will be used to build the team around. I don't see Atlanta moving Kovy unless they are all but assured of the 1st overall pick. The package to get Kovy would be huge that would require a 1st round pick in next years draft and at least 2 proven roster players.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
There are some big names on some really crappy teams that also fall into this category that will be used to build the team around. I don't see Atlanta moving Kovy unless they are all but assured of the 1st overall pick. The package to get Kovy would be huge that would require a 1st round pick in next years draft and at least 2 proven roster players.
If they moved Kovalchuk with some time on his contract you could get a high ranked prospect, 1st round pick, and more. The closer he gets to the end of his contract and the lower the returns would be. Would you give your highest ranked prospect, 1st round pick, and more for Kovy when he's got over a year left or when he's simply months away from being able to walk?

If Atlanta decides they can't keep Kovy then shopping him sooner than later will yield a higher package to build on for their future than letting him be a rental to a playoff team. As such it might be annoying to see all the Kovy trade threads, but it's something to expect to see unless he signs a new contract extension with Atlanta.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Gah. None of you fan boys live in the real world. Great OP.

Thrashers fans get it...we don't expect outrageous return for Kovalchuk...we just know that trading him would absolutley destroy the team...and it's not even a plausible scenario yet. You could kiss even more STHs away next year.

I'm sick of the "DW sucks and the Thrashers will never win" chorus.

They are finally going to be a consistently competitive team this year. So they'll probably just be middle of the pack in the SE...but they are not going to be the messed up disaster (win or lose) that they've been since the lockout.

The committee ownership of the Thrashers micro-manages both the Thrashers and the Atlanta Hawks. Few GMs would put up with the crap that DW does: that's why they don't fire him. He does their bidding. They made him do all the trades for the playoffs, and they also made him make the team "go old" after the lockout.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post

What you (+ the majority of posters, mostly younger posters) need to realize is that you have fans, who actucally realise what a trade means. For you this board is just a friggin game, fun or simply a way to kill time.
If you think it's any more than that, you take this board WAY too seriously.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
What the **** does that even mean?

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
What the **** does that even mean?
It means it'll be different this time, he won't ever want to leave.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Gah. None of you fan boys live in the real world. Great OP.

Thrashers fans get it...we don't expect outrageous return for Kovalchuk...we just know that trading him would absolutley destroy the team...and it's not even a plausible scenario yet. You could kiss even more STHs away next year.

I'm sick of the "DW sucks and the Thrashers will never win" chorus.

They are finally going to be a consistently competitive team this year. So they'll probably just be middle of the pack in the SE...but they are not going to be the messed up disaster (win or lose) that they've been since the lockout.

The committee ownership of the Thrashers micro-manages both the Thrashers and the Atlanta Hawks. Few GMs would put up with the crap that DW does: that's why they don't fire him. He does their bidding. They made him do all the trades for the playoffs, and they also made him make the team "go old" after the lockout.
Honestly, I wish I could believe that, as I do like the Thrashers, especially Kovalchuk.

But I just don't see them competing for a playoff spot this year. Colour me surprised if they make it in.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Magnus Fulgur

They won't make the playoffs, and that's okay.

ATL will be middle of the pack in the SE. An around-.500 team. What will be different is that they'll be going on 2 and 3 game losing streaks, not four-to-six game losing streaks. They'll be in more games than usual, not rely on their shootout powress, and not get blown out as often. If this happens, this will be their best season ever in terms of progressing.

Kovalchuk will captain this team, and at the end of the season be happy that he did a great job.

Old
09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
BattleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:

ATL will be middle of the pack in the SE. An around-.500 team. What will be different is that they'll be going on 2 and 3 game losing streaks, not four-to-six game losing streaks. They'll be in more games than usual, not rely on their shootout powress, and not get blown out as often. If this happens, this will be their best season ever in terms of progressing.

Kovalchuk will captain this team, and at the end of the season be happy that he did a great job.
Exactly. Atlanta will finish somewhere between 20th-27th place. Which puts them just outside of drafting a bluechip prospect. If Atlanta's managment had any brains they would get a nice package for Kovy now and not worry about winning any amout of games this season. Piss poor managment. Reminds me of how they didn't trade Olli at the deadline. They basically pissed away a first round pick for nothing.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 05:29 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Exactly. Atlanta will finish somewhere between 20th-27th place. Which puts them just outside of drafting a bluechip prospect. If Atlanta's managment had any brains they would get a nice package for Kovy now and not worry about winning any amout of games this season. Piss poor managment. Reminds me of how they didn't trade Olli at the deadline. They basically pissed away a first round pick for nothing.
What? Are we still talking about the Thrashers?

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
GAH!!! I can't stand you people.

They don't need blue chip prospects. The one thing they've got is prospects...at every position.

Hmm...trade Kovalchuk and "not worry about winning any amount of games this season." Okay, and how many people will renew their season tickets next year? Twelve? Fourteen. Oh, that's right you're the one with a brain...whatever.

They didn't trade Olli at the deadline. Fine. WE'RE ONE AND A HALF FREAKIN' SEASONS FROM THE DEADLINE!!!

You freakin' people. Bunch of fanboy know-it-alls.

Hey, if your team isn't good, there's no way you'll resign them...so you'd better trade them TWO YEARS before their contract is up! You might be left holding the bag!!! That's what I learned at HF!!!

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 09-15-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

I might be Naive but what has Atlanta done this season to be better then they were last season with Hossa in the Line-up up until the TD? IMO there a lock to draft top 5, if they get lucky they might get Tavares and he could potentially be the top line center they've been waiting for.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Half of Atlanta's defense was Zhitnik, Exelby, and McCarthy.

They were among the league leaders in Minus. They are gone, and in Exelby's case he won't be playing very much.

They will be replaced with Bogosian, Hainsey, and Valabik (who was strong in his call-up at the end of the year). Much better.

Last year's centers were
White
Perrin
Holik
Thorburn

This year:
Christensen
Little
White
Reasoner
(Perrin and Thorburn will play wing on various lines).

Again, this is a huge improvement...and they got Williams to replace Recchi, who perhaps never backchecked all year.

Last year's Thrashers was one of the oldest teams in the league...with no real coaches. Now we're a younger team with a coach...who has already worked successfully with most young Thrashers, even if only at the Championship-AHL level.

Old
09-15-2008, 07:54 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
GAH!!! I can't stand you people.

They don't need blue chip prospects. The one thing they've got is prospects...at every position.

Hmm...trade Kovalchuk and "not worry about winning any amount of games this season." Okay, and how many people will renew their season tickets next year? Twelve? Fourteen. Oh, that's right you're the one with a brain...whatever.

They didn't trade Olli at the deadline. Fine. WE'RE ONE AND A HALF FREAKIN' SEASONS FROM THE DEADLINE!!!

You freakin' people. Bunch of fanboy know-it-alls.

Hey, if your team isn't good, there's no way you'll resign them...so you'd better trade them TWO YEARS before their contract is up! You might be left holding the bag!!! That's what I learned at HF!!!
This is the HF way after all, take one point/one premise (real or perceived) and use it as the be-all, end-all rationale of a very complex decision that is still a year or two away.

Never mind that only several dozen factors can change for the better (or worse) in that time, even fans of their favorite team don't really know what takes place within the organization regarding hockey operations and player personnel, and Kovalchuk likely doesn't know what he wants to do in two years.
Probably because it is two years away, and unlike many here he knows that a lot can change in that time. With the team, and with himself.

I worked in an economics related field for a while. Trying to predict future results based on present data is for all intents and purposes impossible. Probably the reason why I left, didn't get too much out of work when it was all theoretical. But I digress...
Anyhow, predicting the future can't really work even if it is only numbers. When you add in the human factor, forget it; not gonna happen. You have a better chance of predicting the correct lottery numbers five times in a row.

I get why some people are giving all these proposals. Kovalchuk potentially on the market for their favorite team to have a crack at is quite appealing, so rational thinking kinda goes out the window. It is the internet after all. If they want to keep at it, so be it. I don't know what's going to happen in the future, you don't; nobody knows. Anyone who says that they do know is either ignorant, arrogant, or stupid; likely a combo of all three.

cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Half of Atlanta's defense was Zhitnik, Exelby, and McCarthy.

They were among the league leaders in Minus. They are gone, and in Exelby's case he won't be playing very much.

They will be replaced with Bogosian, Hainsey, and Valabik (who was strong in his call-up at the end of the year). Much better.

Last year's centers were
White
Perrin
Holik
Thorburn

This year:
Christensen
Little
White
Reasoner
(Perrin and Thorburn will play wing on various lines).

Again, this is a huge improvement...and they got Williams to replace Recchi, who perhaps never backchecked all year.

Last year's Thrashers was one of the oldest teams in the league...with no real coaches. Now we're a younger team with a coach...who has already worked successfully with most young Thrashers, even if only at the Championship-AHL level.
I think your getting a little ahead of yourself thinking Bogosian will play in the NHL this year. Even if he does the chance that he is a difference maker is VERY slim. Hainsey was a good pick up and I won't comment on Valabik because I have never seen him play. I still think Atlanta was a better team with Hossa then they are now. But that is just my opinion. I will gladly say I was wrong if they make the play-offs or are an above .500 team.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Bogosian will make the team. He almost has to to make the cap floor!

Seriously, he'll make the team and again, he won't be amazing but the point is he won't be dreadful like Zhitnik, McCarthy, or Exelby. Those three alone ruined the team. They were over -20 playing third pairing minutes!

Old
09-16-2008, 12:29 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Everyone please stop.

Dude consider where you are. You're the one talking non-sense. None of us have buddies who know people who know the truth of what's going on or what might happen. This place for people to speculate on what they would like to see or what they think is going to happen.

Sure you get the odd bozo who comes up with retarded ideas like Crosby being traded for one of the Sedin brothers... but on Kovalchuk:

1. You can't read his mind.
2. He hasn't extended his contract yet.
3. His team's management hasn't had an idea of what the hell they've been doing from the start. Proof? The only time they made it to the playoffs they ended up giving up their future so that they could be swept out in the first round... and all of the dudes on TV were laughing about it before it even happened.
4. He hasn't been given a reason to believe that the team is committed to winning. What does that mean? I means saving your draft picks and prospects. Training them properly so that they actually turn out to be as good as they're expected to be. Going after key free agents who'll play well under their system.
5. Is going to be playing with should be 3rd line Coby Armstrong next season.
6. Wouldn't make anyone flinch by doing what Hossa did in the off-season.
7. Wouldn't make anyone flinch by going after a big long contract like Gomez.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Dude consider where you are. You're the one talking non-sense. None of us have buddies who know people who know the truth of what's going on or what might happen. This place for people to speculate on what they would like to see or what they think is going to happen.

Sure you get the odd bozo who comes up with retarded ideas like Crosby being traded for one of the Sedin brothers... but on Kovalchuk:

1. You can't read his mind.
2. He hasn't extended his contract yet.
3. His team's management hasn't had an idea of what the hell they've been doing from the start. Proof? The only time they made it to the playoffs they ended up giving up their future so that they could be swept out in the first round... and all of the dudes on TV were laughing about it before it even happened.
4. He hasn't been given a reason to believe that the team is committed to winning. What does that mean? I means saving your draft picks and prospects. Training them properly so that they actually turn out to be as good as they're expected to be. Going after key free agents who'll play well under their system.
5. Is going to be playing with should be 3rd line Coby Armstrong next season.
6. Wouldn't make anyone flinch by doing what Hossa did in the off-season.
7. Wouldn't make anyone flinch by going after a big long contract like Gomez.
Goodness, it's embarrassing enough that you insist on calling people Dude in a condescending manner...

1.) You can't read his mind either. He will be made captain this year and that changes everything.
2.) He hasn't extended his contract yet. EXACTLY. A season and a half from now the situation could be greatly improved in Atlanta. If not, then fine...he leaves. If the team isn't improved in a season and a half the franchise is doomed anyhow.
3.) Giving up the future to be swept...ah...
a.) The Tkachuk trade was overpayment. Really? For Glen Metropolit, a 2007 3rd and a 2008 2nd? Atlanta got their conditional first pick back from St. Louis.
b.) They got Belanger for Vishnevski. Freakin' Vishnevski.
c.) The got Zhitnik for Coburn. Nobody wants to admit (or knows) that Coburn was in fact an utter bust for Atlanta. He stunk. I saw him play and I saw him in practice...he was terrible in Atlanta. Now, Atlanta deserves full blame for not developing him, but you can't criticize the trade as it was made at the time. All you Fantasy Fanboys poo-pooing the trade now are talking out of your hindsight-driven backsides.
d.) NYR was better, but the reason why they were swept was Hartley's horrible coaching. It was ghastly.
4.) Hartley was a huge reason why Atlanta couldn't develop players. Now he's gone, and in his place is the AHL coach who did develop some of their good young guys like Lehtonen, Kulda, Little, Valabik, Lavallee, etc. We picked up Hainsey, Williams, and Reasoner; and almost had Campbell and Rolston. That's better than most teams did this summer.
5.) Kovalchuk might play with CoLby Armstrong...but he'll probably play with Williams. So, CoLby's a borderline 2nd-3rd liner. He was good enough for Crosby. Or did you forget about that?
6 and 7...Waddell has already said that from the moment of Ovechkin's resigning with Washington that he has been preparing the owners and structuring the team to facilitate giving Kovalchuk a massive contract on the scale of Ovechkin's. So your assumptions yet again aren't grounded on what is actually going on with the team.

Nice try, though.

Next.

Old
09-16-2008, 01:59 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Goodness, it's embarrassing enough that you insist on calling people Dude in a condescending manner...

1.) You can't read his mind either. He will be made captain this year and that changes everything.
2.) He hasn't extended his contract yet. EXACTLY. A season and a half from now the situation could be greatly improved in Atlanta. If not, then fine...he leaves. If the team isn't improved in a season and a half the franchise is doomed anyhow.
3.) Giving up the future to be swept...ah...
a.) The Tkachuk trade was overpayment. Really? For Glen Metropolit, a 2007 3rd and a 2008 2nd? Atlanta got their conditional first pick back from St. Louis.
b.) They got Belanger for Vishnevski. Freakin' Vishnevski.
c.) The got Zhitnik for Coburn. Nobody wants to admit (or knows) that Coburn was in fact an utter bust for Atlanta. He stunk. I saw him play and I saw him in practice...he was terrible in Atlanta. Now, Atlanta deserves full blame for not developing him, but you can't criticize the trade as it was made at the time. All you Fantasy Fanboys poo-pooing the trade now are talking out of your hindsight-driven backsides.
d.) NYR was better, but the reason why they were swept was Hartley's horrible coaching. It was ghastly.
4.) Hartley was a huge reason why Atlanta couldn't develop players. Now he's gone, and in his place is the AHL coach who did develop some of their good young guys like Lehtonen, Kulda, Little, Valabik, Lavallee, etc. We picked up Hainsey, Williams, and Reasoner; and almost had Campbell and Rolston. That's better than most teams did this summer.
5.) Kovalchuk might play with CoLby Armstrong...but he'll probably play with Williams. So, CoLby's a borderline 2nd-3rd liner. He was good enough for Crosby. Or did you forget about that?
6 and 7...Waddell has already said that from the moment of Ovechkin's resigning with Washington that he has been preparing the owners and structuring the team to facilitate giving Kovalchuk a massive contract on the scale of Ovechkin's. So your assumptions yet again aren't grounded on what is actually going on with the team.

Nice try, though.

Next.
Well sorry dude, but that's just how I talk to everyone.

1. Do you think making him Captain is a good idea?
A) Puts more pressure on him.
B) If he doesn't stay, then the next captain will just be given the "C" not because he's earned it, but because the guy they thought to be the man for the job got up and left. Fans don't like that.
2. Welll #2 isn't fair of me to say, but it's how I see it. There are too many teams in the NHL right now and Atlanta should not be relocated, but just shut down. Atlanta, Tampa, Florida, NYI, L.A and either Buffalo or Columbus should have all player contracts bought out by the NHL and have the teams eliminated from the NHL based on how their organizations have been run, what they've acomplished and the hockey markets in the areas. Being a Thrasher fan, you have every right to disagree with me and refer to me as an ignorant fool.
4. You overpaid to get Hainsey, Reasoner was let go of Edmonton because he wasn't worth putting on their 4th line, Williams has a nasty injury history and almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
5. Armstrong played with Crosby because they didn't have any other choice. Some better choices came along and he found himself wearing a thrasher uniform. He wasn't someone Atlanta was trying hard to get. Atlanta just wanted to get as much return as possible for Hossa.

You said: Waddell has already said that from the moment of Ovechkin's resigning with Washington that he has been preparing the owners and structuring the team to facilitate giving Kovalchuk a massive contract on the scale of Ovechkin's.

I say: Yeah that's all fine and dandy, but what makes you think Kovalchuk wants to play along? 2 seasons from now he'll have the choice of playing with a team who's struggled to do anything properly since their birth... or signing with a team that his talent alone can change into a very competitive team capable of going deep into the playoffs.

Sure all the Thrasher fans want to believe that Kovalchuk is a great guy that Atlanta wants to have in their city for years to come. It's called proper PR. Until Kovalchuk tells the public "I'm on board with helping this team build itself into a good team" I refuse to believe that anything out of #6 is remotely possible.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:36 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well sorry dude, but that's just how I talk to everyone.

1. Do you think making him Captain is a good idea?
A) Puts more pressure on him.
B) If he doesn't stay, then the next captain will just be given the "C" not because he's earned it, but because the guy they thought to be the man for the job got up and left. Fans don't like that.
2. Welll #2 isn't fair of me to say, but it's how I see it. There are too many teams in the NHL right now and Atlanta should not be relocated, but just shut down. Atlanta, Tampa, Florida, NYI, L.A and either Buffalo or Columbus should have all player contracts bought out by the NHL and have the teams eliminated from the NHL based on how their organizations have been run, what they've acomplished and the hockey markets in the areas. Being a Thrasher fan, you have every right to disagree with me and refer to me as an ignorant fool.

4. You overpaid to get Hainsey, Reasoner was let go of Edmonton because he wasn't worth putting on their 4th line, Williams has a nasty injury history and almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
5. Armstrong played with Crosby because they didn't have any other choice. Some better choices came along and he found himself wearing a thrasher uniform. He wasn't someone Atlanta was trying hard to get. Atlanta just wanted to get as much return as possible for Hossa.

You said: Waddell has already said that from the moment of Ovechkin's resigning with Washington that he has been preparing the owners and structuring the team to facilitate giving Kovalchuk a massive contract on the scale of Ovechkin's.

I say: Yeah that's all fine and dandy, but what makes you think Kovalchuk wants to play along? 2 seasons from now he'll have the choice of playing with a team who's struggled to do anything properly since their birth... or signing with a team that his talent alone can change into a very competitive team capable of going deep into the playoffs.

Sure all the Thrasher fans want to believe that Kovalchuk is a great guy that Atlanta wants to have in their city for years to come. It's called proper PR. Until Kovalchuk tells the public "I'm on board with helping this team build itself into a good team" I refuse to believe that anything out of #6 is remotely possible.
You might want to look up Tampa and Buffalo's attendance record for starters before you pull random teams out of your ass. Remember when the Islanders had a hockey dynasty on their hands? No? If you think one bad owner is reason enough to fold a historic franchise then why did you leave Chicago and Toronto off your list? Bill Wirtz kept the Blackhawks in the gutter for a very long time, and MLSE hasn't really done much better for the Leafs. Original six? Who cares, poor management and on-ice product, shut em down! Tampa won the cup 4 years ago and just grabbed the 1st overall pick to play alongside a couple of proven all-stars. Better fold em up! Anyway, long story short you just suggested shutting down 6 teams and then didn't give any reasoning beyond "the NHL has too many teams". Wow. Next time you decide to regurgitate something a talking head on TV taught you you might want to include the line of logic behind it.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote