HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk proposals

Old
09-16-2008, 02:04 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
You might want to look up Tampa and Buffalo's attendance record for starters before you pull random teams out of your ass. Remember when the Islanders had a hockey dynasty on their hands? No? If you think one bad owner is reason enough to fold a historic franchise then why did you leave Chicago and Toronto off your list? Bill Wirtz kept the Blackhawks in the gutter for a very long time, and MLSE hasn't really done much better for the Leafs. Original six? Who cares, poor management and on-ice product, shut em down! Tampa won the cup 4 years ago and just grabbed the 1st overall pick to play alongside a couple of proven all-stars. Better fold em up! Anyway, long story short you just suggested shutting down 6 teams and then didn't give any reasoning beyond "the NHL has too many teams". Wow. Next time you decide to regurgitate something a talking head on TV taught you you might want to include the line of logic behind it.
The retards on TV don't talk much about hockey over here in China.

1. Shutting down the Leafs and Hawks would be smart based on what I said previously, but it would be heresy to get rid of an original 6 team.
2. On moving teams which had previously won cups: They wouldn't be the first teams to have won a cup and later on moved or shut down.
3. Well you can't say that the NHL isn't watered down these days. How many goalies bounce from team to team every year because their previous teams lost faith in them and others are willing to go out on a limb that they can put a good season or two together.

HAHA remember Chris Terreri? He wasn't THAT bad, but in the NEW NHL he'd get a job in a heartbeat.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
This is the HF way after all, take one point/one premise (real or perceived) and use it as the be-all, end-all rationale of a very complex decision that is still a year or two away.

Never mind that only several dozen factors can change for the better (or worse) in that time, even fans of their favorite team don't really know what takes place within the organization regarding hockey operations and player personnel, and Kovalchuk likely doesn't know what he wants to do in two years.
Probably because it is two years away, and unlike many here he knows that a lot can change in that time. With the team, and with himself.

I worked in an economics related field for a while. Trying to predict future results based on present data is for all intents and purposes impossible. Probably the reason why I left, didn't get too much out of work when it was all theoretical. But I digress...
Anyhow, predicting the future can't really work even if it is only numbers. When you add in the human factor, forget it; not gonna happen. You have a better chance of predicting the correct lottery numbers five times in a row.

I get why some people are giving all these proposals. Kovalchuk potentially on the market for their favorite team to have a crack at is quite appealing, so rational thinking kinda goes out the window. It is the internet after all. If they want to keep at it, so be it. I don't know what's going to happen in the future, you don't; nobody knows. Anyone who says that they do know is either ignorant, arrogant, or stupid; likely a combo of all three.
Bingo. HF, or better this trade board, is just a playground for teens who have gone from making silly trades in NHL 2Kx+1 games to making silly trade proposals here. Along the way, they fail to see the real life implications of trades.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 04:09 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
Bingo. HF, or better this trade board, is just a playground for teens who have gone from making silly trades in NHL 2Kx+1 games to making silly trade proposals here. Along the way, they fail to see the real life implications of trades.
Completely agree. I said along time ago to make these boards 18 and over, but, well...

In a reality, Kovalchuk would be traded from Atlanta if he refused to sign with Atlanta. He is 25. one of the best pure goal-scorers in the game, plus is maturing as a player. Teams do not trade a player like that. Pavel Bure was traded because he had injury problems, couldn't find the defensive end, and was a head-cause. Kovalchuk has none of these problems.

Pure and simple, he won't be traded unless he wants out.

If he does, an example of the kind of trade it would take to land him is:

Top young player(Carter, Frolov, Bouw, Bergeron, etc., not a superstar, but good nonetheless)
1st round pick
Good prospect
Additional player, and I mean someone that Atlanta would want, not a salary dump, or a player that is often mentioned on these boards as having high value to a homer.

Say, Detroit:
Kronwall
1st 09
Kindl/Ericsson
one of Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

From a Detroit prospective, well, thats all they got considering their own Superstars(doubt they could afford his salary anyway) but gives people an idea of what Atlanta might be looking for.

Honestly, I doubt they would take the offer as other teams could give them something better.

09-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Completely agree. I said along time ago to make these boards 18 and over, but, well...
Buffaloed stated that he wants a quality board (that's why the invite system is now in place.) Haha...cleaning up the junk on the trade and general NHL board would be a much better start.

Quote:
In a reality, Kovalchuk would be traded from Atlanta if he refused to sign with Atlanta. He is 25. one of the best pure goal-scorers in the game, plus is maturing as a player. Teams do not trade a player like that. Pavel Bure was traded because he had injury problems, couldn't find the defensive end, and was a head-cause. Kovalchuk has none of these problems.
Correct. He's probably not too pleased with the offseason acquisitions. At least that's what I'd do, if I were Kovy, nevertheless they are (positive) changes around the Thrashers. The coaching staff looks promising and has a history of winning and developing talent in the AHL.

Pure and simple, he won't be traded unless he wants out. Your statement goes without saying.

Thinking about deals is kinda pointless ATM. You need to know when the trade is being made. Now, at the 2010 deadline or in between? The trade value differs greatly over the given time frame. Currently, Kovy's trade value is high, but in February 2010, it will be lower. I don't wanna think about trading Atlanta's franchise, I only wanna think about the season.

Old
09-16-2008, 08:50 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

Pure and simple, he won't be traded unless he wants out.

If he does, an example of the kind of trade it would take to land him is:

Top young player(Carter, Frolov, Bouw, Bergeron, etc., not a superstar, but good nonetheless)
1st round pick
Good prospect
Additional player, and I mean someone that Atlanta would want, not a salary dump, or a player that is often mentioned on these boards as having high value to a homer.

Say, Detroit:
Kronwall
1st 09
Kindl/Ericsson
one of Franzen/Filppula/Hudler

From a Detroit prospective, well, thats all they got considering their own Superstars(doubt they could afford his salary anyway) but gives people an idea of what Atlanta might be looking for.

Honestly, I doubt they would take the offer as other teams could give them something better.
If he gets traded to play in the 08-09 season far before the trade deadline, a deal like that might be possible... but if he gets traded to play in the 09-10 season, it's not likely that they'll get that much in return.

Wash '09 1st rounder
Alexander Seminov
Prospect

OOo that would be nuts. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk on the same line. Backstrom would be under so much pressure to keep up with those guys. Would be the best european line of all time, no? Wouldn't that beat Federov-Mogilny-Bure??? Well it would at least put that line to the test. That's for sure. That line would surely have a special name, which would be remembered for generations.

Old
09-16-2008, 11:10 AM
TheGooooch

The original proposal is horrible. One team clearly gets ripped in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Wash '09 1st rounder
Alexander Seminov
Prospect
Did Alex Semin and Alexei Seminov have a child?

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post

Obviously all the 'retards' (as he puts it) that he watches on the toob in China have melted his brain.

This poster is a new low on HF...yeah, Atlanta would love for their division rival to have a line with Ovechkin and Kovalchuk on it. That would be just ducky.

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 09-16-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Yeah, stop posting Kovalchuk proposals, dammit! I'm so mad I'm going to start a thread on the Trade board! That'll learn 'em!

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
TOML

If they were serious about keeping Kovy, they would've kept Hossa, imo.

But perhaps he's onboard with tanking, getting Tavares, and rebounding like Tampa is.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post

But perhaps he's onboard with tanking, getting Tavares, and rebounding like Tampa is.
Arrgh. DW put money on the table several times. Hossa even said if he wanted the money he would have signed with Atlanta because they offered the best deal. Both of his agents (he fired one) during
negotiations never gave a counter offer. Hossa just didn't want to stay...after all he was traded to Atlanta against his will.

Atlanta already tanked...we got Bogosian. Time to rebuild.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post

Sorry was obviously a typo.

Old
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well sorry dude, but that's just how I talk to everyone.

1. Do you think making him Captain is a good idea?
A) Puts more pressure on him.
B) If he doesn't stay, then the next captain will just be given the "C" not because he's earned it, but because the guy they thought to be the man for the job got up and left. Fans don't like that.
2. Welll #2 isn't fair of me to say, but it's how I see it. There are too many teams in the NHL right now and Atlanta should not be relocated, but just shut down. Atlanta, Tampa, Florida, NYI, L.A and either Buffalo or Columbus should have all player contracts bought out by the NHL and have the teams eliminated from the NHL based on how their organizations have been run, what they've acomplished and the hockey markets in the areas. Being a Thrasher fan, you have every right to disagree with me and refer to me as an ignorant fool.
4. You overpaid to get Hainsey, Reasoner was let go of Edmonton because he wasn't worth putting on their 4th line, Williams has a nasty injury history and almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
5. Armstrong played with Crosby because they didn't have any other choice. Some better choices came along and he found himself wearing a thrasher uniform. He wasn't someone Atlanta was trying hard to get. Atlanta just wanted to get as much return as possible for Hossa.

You said: Waddell has already said that from the moment of Ovechkin's resigning with Washington that he has been preparing the owners and structuring the team to facilitate giving Kovalchuk a massive contract on the scale of Ovechkin's.

I say: Yeah that's all fine and dandy, but what makes you think Kovalchuk wants to play along? 2 seasons from now he'll have the choice of playing with a team who's struggled to do anything properly since their birth... or signing with a team that his talent alone can change into a very competitive team capable of going deep into the playoffs.

Sure all the Thrasher fans want to believe that Kovalchuk is a great guy that Atlanta wants to have in their city for years to come. It's called proper PR. Until Kovalchuk tells the public "I'm on board with helping this team build itself into a good team" I refuse to believe that anything out of #6 is remotely possible.
Buffalo's on your list of teams that should be removed from the NHL huh? You obviously have no idea what your talking about when you make a comment like that. The Sabres made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years and had the second highest average attendance in the league last year. Please do us all a favor and think before you post or just stop posting if you can't do that.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:

Excuse me, but I think your ignorance is showing.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:

Yeah because Atlanta made no effort to keep Hossa around or anything like that.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Safir*

Quote:

Waddell and the Spirit put 8.0 to 8.5 million on the table, in an effort to keep Hossa.

How has Tampa rebounded? Did we miss the start of the new season?