HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colaiacovo for Viktor Kozlov

Old
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Grandpabuzz

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
Colaiacovo for Viktor Kozlov

Brought this up on the leafs board with a lot of resentment. As a leaf fan however, I would love to see this trade. Kozlov brings some experience, solid offensive numbers, and a strong defensive game.

Colaiacovo is a risk move. He could be great. He could be Sheldon Souray. Washington's over the cap and could use some space. The leafs already have a lot of dman, making Carlo expendable.

Grandpabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Barney Gumble

If the Leafs are going to be trading Cola....and since they're in a rebuilding mode, why trade him for Kozlov (could be a one year rental)?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

no thx

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Have to say that I can't believe that Kozlov had two straight 50 point seasons. He could possibly be used as bait at the deadline, but with the current roster, he'd only be taking away a spot from a youngster, and unless it's a true impact player, there's no point in doing that.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
txpd

There is a remote chance that the Caps might trade Kozlov to clear some cap space particularly if a younger/cheaper option emerges in preseason. That said the Caps don't need another young defenseman and they really don't need another young offensive defenseman.

If the Caps were to trade Kozzie, they would probably be looking for a draft pick

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
WisdomMarigo

Because the Leafs have 9 defenseman Kaberle,Kubina,Stralman,Finger,White,Coliacovo,Fro gen,VR and Schenn the Leafs will have to cut 2 defenseman so this might be a key move

WisdomMarigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:52 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
There is a remote chance that the Caps might trade Kozlov to clear some cap space particularly if a younger/cheaper option emerges in preseason. That said the Caps don't need another young defenseman and they really don't need another young offensive defenseman.

If the Caps were to trade Kozzie, they would probably be looking for a draft pick
No point in me adding to this. 100% correct from the Caps perspective.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

I don't think the Leafs move Cola, he still needs to keep healthy, but once he does, he'll get huge respect around here.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 10:59 PM
JeffYear92*

if im toronto i do this.

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 11:02 PM
glucker

Colaiacovo, when healthy is the Leafs best defenseman

this is a terrible trade

terrible.

how does this, in any way shape or form help the Leafs?

we loose an awesome defenseman for a veteran signed to a 1 year deal?

our top 2 lines are made up of players like him already...

better off trading Van Ryn for whatever pick some team will give up for him, or going back in time and slapping the pen out of Fletcher's hand just before he signed Finger(stupid stupid stupid).

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 11:02 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomMarigo View Post
Because the Leafs have 9 defenseman Kaberle,Kubina,Stralman,Finger,White,Coliacovo,Fro gen,VR and Schenn the Leafs will have to cut 2 defenseman so this might be a key move
White and Van Ryn, easy

Old
09-13-2008, 11:03 PM
JeffYear92*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post

this is a terrible trade

terrible.

better off trading Van Ryn for whatever pick some team will give up for him, or going back in time and slapping the pen out of Fletcher's hand just before he signed Finger(stupid stupid stupid).
if your toronto who do you give up then?

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
if your toronto who do you give up then?
Van Ryn and White, easily... although I like White, and am sure Van Ryn could be a good player, they are easily the ones to get the boot.. I wouldn't mind keeping 1 in case of injury

the fact of the matter is Van Ryn does everything Colaiacovo does, but not as well, Finger was just given that idiotic contract and isn't going anywhere, Kubina was stupidly kept instead of actually being traded for something of value(unlike McCabe, who we had to pay to give up), Kaberle clearly isn't going anywhere, Stralman is an awesome prospect, so he's staying, and Frogen bought out his own contract to come play with Stralman

right now our top 6 is cemented as

Kaberle Kubina
Colaiacovo Finger
Stralman Frogen

keeping Van Ryn and Kronwall as backups and letting White(who doesn't really fit in with a Wilson style of game) go seems like the best option, it's not like we have any cap problems, with 7.6M available

Old
09-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Lexicon

vCash: 1000
Bad idea for both teams. Toronto is rebuilding and does not want vets while Washington wants vets for another playoff push.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 02:11 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

this is a terrible trade

terrible.

Awesome? Really? The guy turns 26 years old this winter, has played only 100 NHL games, and has like 30 career points. The fact he may be the Leaf's best defensemen on the 4 days a year when he is healthy does not make him "awesome". It just means the Leafs have a crappy roster.

But I do agree that there isn't much upside to this trade from the toronto side either. No point in displacing young players from the lineup at this point. If Kozlov were known to be some sort of awesome lockerroom guy who could inspire the youngsters and help tutor them, maybe it would have an appeal. But I've never heard that about Kozlov.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I don't think the Leafs move Cola, he still needs to keep healthy, but once he does, he'll get huge respect around here.
For what?

Staying healthy?

Even though the Leafs "rebuilding phase" is a spin for the stupid and Colaiacovo can't be counted as he is made of glass, Toronto has no reason for this deal as they're still high on him.

Unless they feel like he is the odd man out and want to get something out of him before he is useless. Which is fast approaching as his 15:00 minutes are almost up before he turns back into a pumpkin.

Despite his history, he would fetch more than say Ian White

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpabuzz View Post
Brought this up on the leafs board with a lot of resentment. As a leaf fan however, I would love to see this trade. Kozlov brings some experience, solid offensive numbers, and a strong defensive game.

Colaiacovo is a risk move. He could be great. He could be Sheldon Souray. Washington's over the cap and could use some space. The leafs already have a lot of dman, making Carlo expendable.
I'd rather roll the dice that Cola stays healthy and becomes what he can, than to add what I already know Kozlov is.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
If Kozlov were known to be some sort of awesome lockerroom guy who could inspire the youngsters and help tutor them, maybe it would have an appeal. But I've never heard that about Kozlov.
Being fair to Kozlov, he is not generally known for anything except having the skill set to be an elite player and production that doesn't match the skills. There are other facts about Kolzov that are lost in that reputation. One of which is that he is a player that is always very well liked in the locker room. His mates tend to love him.
He may not be unusually inspirational, but he is certainly is a positive force in the locker room.

Its also lost that Kozlov is arguably the best shootout player in the league(this means you can make a case for him as well as a handful of others). That means he is worth standings points.

These are reasons why the Caps would probably not trade him. As a Russian he is part of a tight knit Russian component of an unusually tight knit team. After the Caps made the playoffs by the hair on their chinny chin chin last season, they could point directly to Kozlov's shootout success as a reason they made it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I fail to see the benefit for the Leafs in that trade.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Glass, for a fat ass?

I think Toronto would prefer to trade him for prospects and picks.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Quote:
Van Ryn and White, easily... although I like White, and am sure Van Ryn could be a good player, they are easily the ones to get the boot.. I wouldn't mind keeping 1 in case of injury

the fact of the matter is Van Ryn does everything Colaiacovo does, but not as well, Finger was just given that idiotic contract and isn't going anywhere, Kubina was stupidly kept instead of actually being traded for something of value(unlike McCabe, who we had to pay to give up), Kaberle clearly isn't going anywhere, Stralman is an awesome prospect, so he's staying, and Frogen bought out his own contract to come play with Stralman

right now our top 6 is cemented as

Kaberle Kubina
Colaiacovo Finger
Stralman Frogen

keeping Van Ryn and Kronwall as backups and letting White(who doesn't really fit in with a Wilson style of game) go seems like the best option, it's not like we have any cap problems, with 7.6M available
The Leafs will role a 7 man rotation on D this season, Van Ryn is much more valuable come deadline and heck he's gonna prove to be hard to part with, hes easily our #3 dman the problem was the signing of finger when I believe Kronwall is ready and willing to play that part.

Back to the trade, no thx

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote