Prospect Predictions for Next Season

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 10:45 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Prospect Predictions for Next Season

Trevor Daley: takes Numinen's spot in the lineup and quarterbacks the PP.

Antii Miettinen
: takes a spot in the lineup once again after getting through training camp makes an impact scoring 40 pts on a line with Lehtinen

Dan Ellis: traded at the trade deadline

Jussi Jokinen : Comes to the US and is one of the final cuts at training camp. He joins an AHL team.

Jason Bacashihuia: becomes the backup goalie for Turco, but several poor performances land him in the AHL.

Louis Erikkson: He will be one of the training camp cuts and will return to Europe where he lights it up.

Mathias Tjarnquist will make the opening day roster mainly because of his size, but still won’t produce much offensively.

Yared Hagos:
makes the team and plays on the 3rd line. He will have a solid rookie season scoring 25 pts.

Joel Lundqvist:
traded at the trade deadline

Vojtech Polak: doesn't come to training camp and plays another season in Czech Republic.

Tobias Stephan: comes to training camp, but is a late cut and plays on an AHL team.

Martin Vagner: Earns a spot on the team as the 6th or 7th defensemen.

Marius Holtet: attends training camp but doesnt make the team, he then plays in the AHL

Matt Nickerson: Stays at Clarkson University and continues playing collegiate hockey.

Brandon Crombeen:
is cut from the team at training camp and returns to juniors.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Dr GLU

I do have to say that expecting the Stars to sign 5 Europeans over the summer, especially when the rules for such signings aren't in place at all (the IIHF-NHL agreement expired this summer), is totally unrealistic.

Some rough predictions (for nearly all the prospects):

-Miettinen: 3rd liner all year
-Tjärnqvist: 4th liner for a good chunk if he's re-signed
-Daley: QB PP, depth defenseman
-Jancevski: Called up after injury and cements a spot on the roster
-Ellis: Wrests starting job in AHL from Bacashihua
-Bacashihua: Loses starting job to Ellis, continues to slide in organization
-Smith: Backs up Turco, traded in offseason
-Stephan: Struggles in the Swiss Nationalliga A after recouping from his injury
-Jokinen: Plays in Finland again and finally manages to lead Kärpät in scoring
-Eriksson: Moves up in Frölunda's lineup and posts 25-30 points, named to U20 WJC and is a scoring leader for Sweden
-Hagos: Finishes his contract with Timrå, plays for Sweden at the World Championships, getting a lot of notice for his play
-Lundqvist: Comes to NA and starts on the Stars when Arnott holds out, then sent to the AHL
-Polak: Plays in the Extraliga again with limited ice-time, named to U20 WJC and puts up solid numbers for Czech Rep.
-Holtet: Moves on to Bofors' top line and threatens to lead the 2nd tier in goal scoring
-Naurov: Recovers from his injury completely and makes a niche for himself with Yaroslavl
-Immonen: centers Espoo's 3rd line and puts up marginal point totals (~15).
-Granath: Makes Leksands full time after Lars Jonsson goes to NA.
-Vas: Sticks with MIF, but in a depth role, poor production
-Nickerson: Stays with Clarkson, tones down the PIMs, and establishes himself as a top D in the ECAC
-Bagnall: Leads SLU in defenseman scoring and continues his strong play
-Crombeen: Returns to junior and leads Barrie in scoring, reg. season and playoffs
-Vagner: Fails to make the team, plays in the AHL
-Wathier: Sucks
-Bararuk: Finds more of his touch in the AHL, puts up respectable totals
-Cox: Leads AHL team prospects in scoring, promoted to captain, maybe sees brief call-up
-Draney, Heisten, Bateman: Continue to be depth AHL players
-MacMillan: Anchors AHL defense, again
-Waugh: Remains a solid defensive D for NMU
-Guyer: Boosts his offensive output for Minnesota while remaining a solid 2-way player
-Rosa: Signed coming out of college, sent to ECHL, where he establishes himself as a top 2-way C
-Tereschenko: Plays well with Dynamo again, overlooked because of mediocre point totals
-Khomitsky: Surprise signing of the summer, goes to AHL and establishes himself as a quality D
-Mikkonen: Shows that he does not have much more offensive potential in an average season for JYP
-Kilpelainen: Starts for KalPa A again, named to U20 WJC

Old
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Starsdude

Glu Where do you see the stars looking in the draft. I have been concerned about the defense but it seems the colllege guys (nickerson, Bagnall, Waugh) have all exceeded expectation and Jancevski and Daley should be ready to challenge soon for a full time spot. I think given that the other spots will be filled with vets so there seems to no longer be a pressing need there although another puck mover would be nice (granath?)

I guess still could use some wingers with scoring ability and size but those are hard to come by picking 20 or 35 or whatever the comp pick for Hatcher brings. BTW I mentioned Khomitski early this year and he is intriguing. Other questions maybe you can help with:

What will it take for Holtet to move forward as a player?
Has Vas' speed returned since I think that was part of the attraction?
Will macMillan ever get a chance?
Can Joel Lundqvist skate well enough to play here?
Which forward prospects have top 6 25 goal potential?

BTW really miss you work here but stay on the boards please

Old
02-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Glu Where do you see the stars looking in the draft.
Wait a couple of months. I don't start looking at the draft until the end of the season because I like to know exactly where the pick will be first.

Quote:
  • Holtet is going to have to get more ice time with a better team to show big progression. Whether that is by leaving the Farjestads system or getting moved up by retirements or free agents leaving doesn't matter.
  • Speed wasn't really a big draw. He's always be a big, strong, stable skater with average speed. So he didn't have much to lose.
  • Probably not with Dallas, and he didn't exactly instill a lot of confidence with his few games earlier this year. MacMillan probably is a last ditch guy if they can't fill out the D next year.
  • Average skaters can make it in the NHL. They have to compensate with something else, and for Lundqvist that probably will have to be physical play. I can see him making it, but the chances that he's used as a scoring center look diminished.
  • I think these guys may reach 25 at some time in their career: Miettinen, Jokinen, Eriksson, Polak, Holtet. For those that may consistently reach 25, remove Miettinen (see him as mor of a 20/30+ guy). There are others who could sneak in, but none that I'm comfortable putting in that class right now.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Perry91502

Just a heads up here guys, but as a Merrimack College fan, watch Marco Rosa. The kid has some sick talent, and I really see him being a solid two-way center at the NHL level. He really went under the radar going in the 8th round a few years ago, and he has had some injury problems in college (btw, two big injuries, neither his fault as he was cheap shotted twice!!! both of which caused him to miss serious time). He is captaining the team this year and shows great leadership as well. Maybe not on the NHL roster his first year, but definetly in a few, hes got talent, watch him.....

Old
02-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry91502
Just a heads up here guys, but as a Merrimack College fan, watch Marco Rosa. The kid has some sick talent, and I really see him being a solid two-way center at the NHL level. He really went under the radar going in the 8th round a few years ago, and he has had some injury problems in college (btw, two big injuries, neither his fault as he was cheap shotted twice!!! both of which caused him to miss serious time). He is captaining the team this year and shows great leadership as well. Maybe not on the NHL roster his first year, but definetly in a few, hes got talent, watch him.....
I kind of favor Rosa, but I'm not sure he'll be able to make the NHL. I know he's talented, but tons of talented college players can never make the AHL to NHL jump. Work ethic and leadership should help him, but it'll be a wait and see case with him, I feel.

I'm glad the fans up there are high on him though. That's at least a good sign.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:22 PM
EverythingSens

I don't know about anyone's predictions about Nickerson here... As I am a Clarkson student myself, I see him play nearly every other weekend, and I just do not see a future of not so many penalty mins... the refs know exactly where he is and they throw him in the box for nearly every "big" hit he dishes out, which is about 1 a period... Also, I have the feeling that he'll be leaving Clarkson if he's given the opportunity, only because there are rumors here that he may fail out. Just the deal from Cheel (the clarkson rink)...

Old
02-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Dundalis

Quote:
Glu Where do you see the stars looking in the draft. I have been concerned about the defense but it seems the colllege guys (nickerson, Bagnall, Waugh) have all exceeded expectation and Jancevski and Daley should be ready to challenge soon for a full time spot. I think given that the other spots will be filled with vets so there seems to no longer be a pressing need there although another puck mover would be nice (granath?)

I guess still could use some wingers with scoring ability and size but those are hard to come by picking 20 or 35 or whatever the comp pick for Hatcher brings. BTW I mentioned Khomitski early this year and he is intriguing. Other questions maybe you can help with:

BTW really miss you work here but stay on the boards please
They may end up getting someone like Lukas Kaspar, who projected around our range, and is a highly skilled big guy (round 6'2 200), or Meszaros for a defensemen.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
GlueleG

What kind of future does Jeff Bateman have? I used to watch him play when he was with the Brampton Battalion... he just doesnt seem to have elevated his game too well at the pro level. Does anyone see him in Utah next season?

Old
02-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG
What kind of future does Jeff Bateman have? I used to watch him play when he was with the Brampton Battalion... he just doesnt seem to have elevated his game too well at the pro level. Does anyone see him in Utah next season?
Well, the Stars won't be affiliated with Utah next year. However, if he can't stay on Utah this year with the poor quality of talent that that team has, it doesn't look too promising for Bateman. I like Bateman a lot, but I think he's probably not going to do a whole lot better than being an AHL role-player when all is said and done.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry91502
I'm not sold on Rosa myself. I've already seen Merrimack about a half dozen times with the exception of one game against BU (I think it was), he showed me nothing that made me take notice. Frankly, I was more impressed by the play of Brent Gough and Tim Reidy than I was of Rosa as far as Merrimack players are concerned. Rosa definitely has got some skill, no question, but I've seen ALOT more NCAA players (and not just from HE schools) who were/are FAR more impressive than Rosa has been. Right now, I just don't see Rosa being NHL material for the not-so-distant future.

Just my two cents.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Dallasman

I can see the Stars signing Tereshencko(sp?) and bringing him over to play in NA this year. However, his size may be one thing that could hurt him and is usually a knock against him.

By the way, I don't see anyone signing in NA until they work out the CBA AND the contract with the IIHF. The 2nd contract is a huge issue as well because of the amount of talent that could possibly be diverted from the NHL.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:35 AM
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
Wait a couple of months. I don't start looking at the draft until the end of the season because I like to know exactly where the pick will be first.

• Holtet is going to have to get more ice time with a better team to show big progression. Whether that is by leaving the Farjestads system or getting moved up by retirements or free agents leaving doesn't matter.
  • Speed wasn't really a big draw. He's always be a big, strong, stable skater with average speed. So he didn't have much to lose.
  • Probably not with Dallas, and he didn't exactly instill a lot of confidence with his few games earlier this year. MacMillan probably is a last ditch guy if they can't fill out the D next year.
  • Average skaters can make it in the NHL. They have to compensate with something else, and for Lundqvist that probably will have to be physical play. I can see him making it, but the chances that he's used as a scoring center look diminished.
  • I think these guys may reach 25 at some time in their career: Miettinen, Jokinen, Eriksson, Polak, Holtet. For those that may consistently reach 25, remove Miettinen (see him as mor of a 20/30+ guy). There are others who could sneak in, but none that I'm comfortable putting in that class right now.
LOUI ERIKSSON scored his first and Frolundas play off goal this season against Djurgarden 10 min in period 1, the game stopped with 8-1 for Frolunda

Old
03-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Pekka Lampinen

Is there a specific reason why you expect Miettinen to stay up all year or is it more like wishful thinking that now he's more adjusted?

Old
03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laituri
Is there a specific reason why you expect Miettinen to stay up all year or is it more like wishful thinking that now he's more adjusted?
I expect him to be up all year partly because he's adjusted some but moreso because the Stars have some spots opening up due to free agency. Most of them are on defense, but there are a few forward positions that will be free (namely, Scott Young's). That's not even accounting for things that might happen at the deadline or in the offseason (assuming there is a season).

But it's partly wishful thinking too.

Really, he's had a tough go this year. Had an excellent preseason, ended up playing with the Stars when they were just awful, and then separates his shoulder (which might not be completely healed since his return) in Utah after a few strong games to start. I expect he'll impress at camp again and should get another chance to start off the season.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
MC Fan

Without question, Marco Rosa is one of the best defensive forwards in college hockey. He plays on the top squad in all situations - PP, PK, 4-4, etc. It is a shame that they don't keep track of minutes played in college, because he logs an awful lot of ice time per game. He is extremely unselfish. His puck handling skills are simply amazing. For two years now, he has been the player that other teams key in on, double, sometimes triple teaming. The only possible negative is that he doesn't find the back of the net as often as he might like. However, he still leads his team in goal scoring with 15 goals - 18% of his teams goal production.

In the locker room, Rosa is definitely a leader. He has fire and determination to win, but has an amazing ability to keep a cool head, he has only 5 penalties for 10 minutes in 34 games.

Off the ice, he could not be a better ambassador for his team, school or the sport. He always has time for fans - autographs, chats or even taking kids for visits to the locker room. He is wonderful with children and is far and away the favorite at the Skate with the Warriors - playing chase with the boys, skating with the young ladies and teaching the little ones to skate.

All the way around Marco is a huge assest to any team. I'm sure he'll start in the minors, but I believe his strong work ethic, skill and character will take him as far as he wants to go. Chances are good that he won't be a superstar and won't be known for flashiness ... but more because it just isn't his style. He'll do his job incredibly well and leave everything he has on the ice every night and the fans will love him.

Closed Thread