HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Capitals Fantasy Discussion/Inquiries/Injuries Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2008, 11:02 AM
  #101
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's what I should have done, rather than actually drafting Turris, Voracek, Okposo and Stamkos... Unproven talent FTW!

At least my goalies and defense are elite.
Is it a keeper league at least?

The Viking Fury is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 07:05 PM
  #102
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's what I should have done, rather than actually drafting Turris, Voracek, Okposo and Stamkos... Unproven talent FTW!

At least my goalies and defense are elite.
Yea those guys won't get drafted in most leagues (Stamkos usually and rarely Turris) get picked in the yahoo and espn drafts I'd done, so I try and wait till the last 3 or so rounds (my bench slots) before I take the prospect guys, like the ones you mentioned. It's not about picking the best player left each round...more about picking the best player that won't make it back to you.

on a side note I did my first keeper league (20 team league) draft this offseason: I got Price in net, with Backstrom, Berglund, Turris as my C then Voracek, Setoguchi RW and Vanek JVR as LW.

I got a few vet fillers for now (Clark, Cole) but I'm pretty happy at the potential my offense has in 2-3 years!

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Old
10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
  #103
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's what I should have done, rather than actually drafting Turris, Voracek, Okposo and Stamkos... Unproven talent FTW!

At least my goalies and defense are elite.
The secret for me the last couple of years is to get a couple of guys that play both D and Forward, then put them in at d while they rank up points as a forward. Last year I had both Mark Streit and Dustin Byfuglien doing it for me.

The moves that let you win your league are always picking up breakout players as the season goes on, and not giving up on players that are big second half players.

Last year I picked up Dan Ellis in January and Mike Green in december. That's how I won the league.

Foy is offline  
Old
10-12-2008, 04:17 PM
  #104
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Last year I picked up Dan Ellis in January and Mike Green in december. That's how I won the league.
Green was a huge waiver pick up for me in 2 leagues last year.

I had a a quick question. What are your guys expectations/predictions for Theodore this year? I took him based on his playing for a good team and the fact he should get a bunch of wins IMO along with his being the started. I know it is early in the season though. Just curious as one guy keeps trying to trade for him in a 20 person head to head league where no one has goalies and I have Theodore, Garon and Islanders back up (who will get a bunch of starts for Glass HIPpietro)

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
  #105
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Green was a huge waiver pick up for me in 2 leagues last year.

I had a a quick question. What are your guys expectations/predictions for Theodore this year? I took him based on his playing for a good team and the fact he should get a bunch of wins IMO along with his being the started. I know it is early in the season though. Just curious as one guy keeps trying to trade for him in a 20 person head to head league where no one has goalies and I have Theodore, Garon and Islanders back up (who will get a bunch of starts for Glass HIPpietro)
If you can get an overpayment, I'd go for it. Theo's a big risk factor, and while you may get burned by trading a 35+ game winner, the rest of his stats may end up killing you in the long run.

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 01:06 AM
  #106
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
The secret for me the last couple of years is to get a couple of guys that play both D and Forward, then put them in at d while they rank up points as a forward. Last year I had both Mark Streit and Dustin Byfuglien doing it for me.
That's a good strategy. If Feds stays on D for a few games, he might fit into that category.

My winning strategy is to draft goalies in the first two rounds. That way I know I'm set at G, and I don't have to reserve roster spots for extra goaltenders, which means I get more games played at other positions.

So far so good on my young studs though. Turris with a goal last night, Voracek has been great so far, and only Stamkos and Okposo have yet to do anything.

And I nabbed Bergeron in a late round, which is a coup.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 01:13 AM
  #107
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
And I nabbed Bergeron in a late round, which is a coup.
I was pissed when he had that multi-point game in preseason, because everyone remembered about him. I had drafted him with every team prior to that.

Btw, trading Zach Parise for Alexander Semin straight up before the season started is starting to look like a stroke of genius. The guy took Semin before I took Parise--don't know why he agreed to the trade...

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 10:54 AM
  #108
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's a good strategy. If Feds stays on D for a few games, he might fit into that category.

My winning strategy is to draft goalies in the first two rounds. That way I know I'm set at G, and I don't have to reserve roster spots for extra goaltenders, which means I get more games played at other positions.

So far so good on my young studs though. Turris with a goal last night, Voracek has been great so far, and only Stamkos and Okposo have yet to do anything.

And I nabbed Bergeron in a late round, which is a coup.
I actually took Feds in the last round of my draft thinking that might happen. Then I had to drop someone to throw Gonchar onto my IR, and Fedorov was who I chose to drop, and then once Gonchar was on the IR, I picked up Temu Selane, who was available for some reason.

I have a bunch of retards in my fantasy league. Unless someone lucks into a couple of guys that have breakout seasons, there's really only one or two people competing with me for the league title.

Foy is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
  #109
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Thanks guys for your help. I was helping my wife with her team during the game last night. Looking at the rosters I think she'll do very well in her standard yahoo league (12 teams). We got:

C: Joe Thorton
C: Joe Sakic
C: Nick Backstrom
LW: Rick Nash
LW: Alex Semin
LW: Patrick Elias
RW: Daniel Alfredsson
RW: David Setoguchi
RW: Steve Bernier
D: Andrei Markov
D: Brett Burns
D: Ed Jovo
D: Ron Hainsey
D: Joni Pitkanen
G: Ilya Bryz
G: Kari Lehtonen

Goalie is the area of question. We'll see how bad that hurts.

HSHS is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
  #110
Tomppav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Kozzie out couple of weeks

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap..._of_weeks.html

"Viktor Kolzov could miss two weeks with an undisclosed left leg injury, General Manager George McPhee said moments again."

Tomppav is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
  #111
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Thanks guys for your help. I was helping my wife with her team during the game last night. Looking at the rosters I think she'll do very well in her standard yahoo league (12 teams). We got:

C: Joe Thorton
C: Joe Sakic
C: Nick Backstrom
LW: Rick Nash
LW: Alex Semin
LW: Patrick Elias
RW: Daniel Alfredsson
RW: David Setoguchi
RW: Steve Bernier
D: Andrei Markov
D: Brett Burns
D: Ed Jovo
D: Ron Hainsey
D: Joni Pitkanen
G: Ilya Bryz
G: Kari Lehtonen

Goalie is the area of question. We'll see how bad that hurts.
Bryz is a great #2 goalie for any fantasy team, but you're definitely going to hurt for a #1. Do you have a goalie on your bench? If not, you'll definitely want to pick one up.

RW's also a bit hit-or-miss after Alfie, but that's a pretty good team.

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 02:12 PM
  #112
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
In my Yahoo league, Bryz is my #3 behind Giggy and Osgood. I'm just waiting for someone to get hurt so I can make a great trade.

Foy is offline  
Old
10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
  #113
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,248
vCash: 500
Might as well post my whole team since we're talking about our own selections:

C Stamkos
C Bergeron
LW Semin
LW D. Sedin
RW Gionta
RW Voracek
F Dustin Brown
D Chara
D Bouwmeester
D Burns
Util Kotalik
Bench Okposo
Bench Perron
Bench Turris
Bench Kesler
G Nabakov
G Giguere

EDIT: 16 team league


Last edited by Devil Dancer: 10-16-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
  #114
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,965
vCash: 500
Nabokov/Giguere is a nice Goalie tandem.

Foy is offline  
Old
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
  #115
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
Bryz is a great #2 goalie for any fantasy team, but you're definitely going to hurt for a #1. Do you have a goalie on your bench? If not, you'll definitely want to pick one up.

RW's also a bit hit-or-miss after Alfie, but that's a pretty good team.
Yeah the other teams went off on goalies early and I targeted Bryz for the 2nd goalie. But then after everyone got their 1st goalies by round 4 then many kept going for their 2nd. Someone took Theo and Cam Ward while Semin and Nash were still on the board.

I figured that I'd load up on the forward positions knowing that I also targeted Setoguchi and Bernier as RW boom players this year as well as Pitkanen. I got them with the last 3 picks.

I took the goalies in round 8 and 12. I wanted to get sure fire starters who I thought would perform better. Bryz will start all year this year (instead of a partial year like last) and have a much better team in front of him. Lehtonen is a wild-card. He's looked so much better but that team in front of him still stinks at the F positions.

We were soooooo pissed as someone took Green with the pick in round 2 right before us.

HSHS is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 12:24 AM
  #116
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah the other teams went off on goalies early and I targeted Bryz for the 2nd goalie. But then after everyone got their 1st goalies by round 4 then many kept going for their 2nd. Someone took Theo and Cam Ward while Semin and Nash were still on the board.

I figured that I'd load up on the forward positions knowing that I also targeted Setoguchi and Bernier as RW boom players this year as well as Pitkanen. I got them with the last 3 picks.

I took the goalies in round 8 and 12. I wanted to get sure fire starters who I thought would perform better. Bryz will start all year this year (instead of a partial year like last) and have a much better team in front of him. Lehtonen is a wild-card. He's looked so much better but that team in front of him still stinks at the F positions.

We were soooooo pissed as someone took Green with the pick in round 2 right before us.
The hard part about drafting goalies is that, so often, you're drafting the team in front of them as much as you are the goalie himself. Given the choice, I'd take Dipietro and Lehtonen over Osgood and Theodore 20 out of 20 times. But a good goalie behind a bad team does not good stats make--and therefore my complete avoidance of players like the former two.

I just replaced a manager in a keeper league (hi Langway!) and my team's massive downfall is goaltending. It's at the point where I have two guys I don't want to drop for long-term purposes in Lehtonen and Ward, but who I also don't trust on any given night not to give up four or five goals. It's usually not a good situation when Mathieu Garon is your undisputed #1.

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 07:31 AM
  #117
Portable Mink
Go Walker!
 
Portable Mink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,391
vCash: 500
J.Staal
M.Richards
M.Nylander
Semin
Elias
Hemsky
Havlat
Hossa
Chara
Burns
Weber
Pitkanen
Plekanec
Toews
Horcoff
Marleau
Cheechoo

Brodeur
Lundqvist
Backstrom

8 teams.
pretty happy with it.

Portable Mink is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
  #118
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
J.Staal
M.Richards
M.Nylander
Semin
Elias
Hemsky
Havlat
Hossa
Chara
Burns
Weber
Pitkanen
Plekanec
Toews
Horcoff
Marleau
Cheechoo

Brodeur
Lundqvist
Backstrom

8 teams.
pretty happy with it.
only two LWs? at least until Marleau gets eligibility... is it head to head or roto? that's a lot of centers you've got there.

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
  #119
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Thanks fras.

The other team was for my wife in her hockey team's league. So I got bored and joined a league last night. Some $%$%$#%$#% jumped and took Semin with the pick right before I was about to get him.

12 teams; Standard yahoo h2h.

C: Toews
C: Marleau
C: Sakic
LW: Nash
LW: Gagne
RW: Boyes
RW: Kovalev
RW: Setoguchi
D: Green
D: Jovo
D: Weber
D: Seabrook
D: Rozsival
G: Nabakov
G: LeClaire
G: Thomas

Not very happy as I screwed myself over a few times trying to hope a few players slide based on "rankings"

HSHS is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
  #120
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
LOL, I rarely post about my fantasy teams; but a reminder: it's like taking a multiple choice test, stick with your first answer; I had set my line-ups and had Backstrom sitting and Mikko Koivu playing at C, but silly me, I flipped them right before the games started convincing myself that Backstrom would have a big night and Minny would have a down night with no Gaborik and on the road; so Backstrom with 0's across the board and Koivu 1g/4a/3PPP, brilliant

HSHS welcome to the darkside

sk84fun_dc is offline  
Old
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
  #121
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
Brodeur
Lundqvist
Backstrom
That's absurd.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
10-17-2008, 12:17 AM
  #122
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
LOL, I rarely post about my fantasy teams; but a reminder: it's like taking a multiple choice test, stick with your first answer; I had set my line-ups and had Backstrom sitting and Mikko Koivu playing at C, but silly me, I flipped them right before the games started convincing myself that Backstrom would have a big night and Minny would have a down night with no Gaborik and on the road; so Backstrom with 0's across the board and Koivu 1g/4a/3PPP, brilliant

HSHS welcome to the darkside
thanks! I love fantasy football. I'm sure I'll learn to like this better.

HSHS is offline  
Old
10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
  #123
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's absurd.
Yeah, I didn't even see that. Yowza.

frasnap is offline  
Old
10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
  #124
Portable Mink
Go Walker!
 
Portable Mink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,391
vCash: 500
Updated Team:

C - Nylander
C - M.Richards
C - Plekanec
LW - Semin
LW - Elias
RW - Havlat
RW - Hossa
W - Cheechoo
D - Chara
D - Burns
D - Weber
D - Pitkanen
----------------
C - Toews
C - Marleau
C - Horcoff
RW - Hemsky
D - Kuba

G - Brodeur
G - Lundqvist
G - Backstrom

I really need to trade a centre. Preferably Toews or even Nylander while he is hot, although with the way the Caps are, he could have a decent year.
I have 5 D for 4 spots but i dont mind rotating one through there, expecially with all the PP points that Kuba is getting.
I dont really want to drop Horcoff if i cant get a trade but i might have to. I really need another LW. 2 is just way too short. Expecially considering i have 6 centres!
Is Marleau going to get LW eligibility?
I think if i can trade a centre for a slightly lesser LW, id be pretty happy.
Not wanting to throw away my assets just yet though. Im leading the league thanks to my goalies.

Portable Mink is offline  
Old
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
  #125
frasnap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: VA/NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
Updated Team:

C - Nylander
C - M.Richards
C - Plekanec
LW - Semin
LW - Elias
RW - Havlat
RW - Hossa
W - Cheechoo
D - Chara
D - Burns
D - Weber
D - Pitkanen
----------------
C - Toews
C - Marleau
C - Horcoff
RW - Hemsky
D - Kuba

G - Brodeur
G - Lundqvist
G - Backstrom

I really need to trade a centre. Preferably Toews or even Nylander while he is hot, although with the way the Caps are, he could have a decent year.
I have 5 D for 4 spots but i dont mind rotating one through there, expecially with all the PP points that Kuba is getting.
I dont really want to drop Horcoff if i cant get a trade but i might have to. I really need another LW. 2 is just way too short. Expecially considering i have 6 centres!
Is Marleau going to get LW eligibility?
I think if i can trade a centre for a slightly lesser LW, id be pretty happy.
Not wanting to throw away my assets just yet though. Im leading the league thanks to my goalies.
Last I knew Marleau was playing on Thornton's left, but I haven't watched the Sharks in a little bit.

frasnap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.