HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vermette vs. Langfeld

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 12:33 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Vermette vs. Langfeld

Assuming the team is healthy come playoff time, who do you think should play on the 4th line??

Both bring different ingredients to the table. Vermette brings speed and the PK is better with him in the lineup while Langfeld brings a big, physical body to the table.

My vote goes to Vermette. I like what I've seen from Langfeld, but I love the thought of a Vermette-Fisher-Neil 4th line come playoff time.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Other Dave

vCash: 500
I agree, I think Vermette's speed is more useful on the 4th line than Langfeld's shot.

Having said that if I had to pick one to stay with the team I'd choose Langfeld. It's tough to argue with 14 points in 14 games.

Other Dave

Old
02-23-2004, 01:01 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
I knew this thread was going to come up eventually.

Vermette can still be sent back to Bingo...Langfeld can't I believe.

Makes it pretty obvious who stays and who doesn't.

I think that Vermette can still benefit from top line time in Bingo where Lanfeld, at his age and all, won't really improve past what he is now.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Volchenkov

Well, its more of a question of whether you want Langfeld or Schaefer as your 3rd LW. Langfeld isn't really a third line player and I personally would rather have a more defensive talent on the 3rd line than an equivalent (likely worse) offensive talent. Given that Langfeld really wouldn't be too effective on the 4th line, thus I'd rather have Vermette in there.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
BingoSensFan

Langfeld can be sent back when the lineup becomes full without clearing waivers, I believe. Vermette can be sent back at any time.

I say Langfeld stays and Vermette gets sent down. Like the previous poster stated, Vermette is very young and could benefit from another AHL playoff run.

Langfeld is probably more of a playoff player at this stage. He will get the garbage goals and plant himself in front of the net, something that is invaluable come playoff time. It would also be a sort of reward for the work he has put in so far. Knowing Vermette, he would not complain about being sent down and would work just as hard for Binghamton in the playoffs.

Then again, knowing Muckler, he may keep both of them up there even if neither of them plays, which would be inexcusable.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:23 PM
o-dog

Almost depends on the situation, ie. what type of playoff series they're in at the time. Both of these guys have far exceeded my expectations and they both deserve to be in the lineup. However, it's entirely possible that they'll both be sitting come playoff time if Varada comes back.

I was thinking the other day that the current injury situation the Sens are in is actually a "good" problem. The players that are hurt will come back invigorated from having a layoff and not dealing with the rigors of the regualar season. They will also be hungrier since they've been out so long. And hopefully, they'll get enough games in to get back in synch before the playoffs. So, when guys do start going down in the playoffs (and they will), there will be a plethora of capable bodies who have seen a lot of NHL action this year. Having Langfeld or Vermette to choose from sure gives a lot more options than Van Allen or Hull. You can actually justify putting one of the kids on one of the top 2 lines if need be...

Old
02-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I'd rather have Vermette. He's got more potential and the experience would do him well.

Also, let me restate again that Fisher isn't going to be on a 4th line...every time Martin uses him he's usually 1st or 2nd line and receives the most ice time. IMO he's been their best player other than Havlat since he's come back.

Old
02-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
Also, let me restate again that Fisher isn't going to be on a 4th line...every time Martin uses him he's usually 1st or 2nd line and receives the most ice time. IMO he's been their best player other than Havlat since he's come back.
He needs the ice time to get back into game shape. IMO his timing's been way off.

Other Dave

Old
02-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I'd go with Langfeld given his stellar play and size, although either will do. Vermette may still have more upside long-term, but he's several years younger and the playoffs might be tough on his small frame. Better to have him be an energy guy to step in for a few games when there is an injury.

And the way Fisher has played the last two games, I wouldn't mind seeing him inserted with Alfredsson and Schaefer long-term. His strength and tenacity brings a lot to that line.

That leaves a formidable forward unit with all hands on deck:
Schaefer-Fisher-Alfredsson
Smoke-Bonk-Hossa
Bondra-Spezza-Havlat
Langfeld-White-Neil

Spares: Vermette, Van Allen

Personally, I think Bondra will be a better fit with Spezza and Havlat, both of whom like to dish the puck a lot - something Bondra might take advantage of better. But Smoke and Bondra could be switched around without much trouble.

Old
02-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Doc Hollywood

If Varada comes back then Langfeld won't be playing at all. Also, Langfeld is an emergency call up in place of Varada. So if the Sens wanted to keep him up here when Varada returns he will have to clear waivers which he won't. Somebody will claim him for sure.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:01 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
If Varada comes back then Langfeld won't be playing at all. Also, Langfeld is an emergency call up in place of Varada. So if the Sens wanted to keep him up here when Varada returns he will have to clear waivers which he won't. Somebody will claim him for sure.
Varada is scheduled to return well after the trade deadline, is he not. Doesn't the whole waiver issue disappear after the trade deadline?

Old
02-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Doc Hollywood

Good question. I totally forgot about that. I am pretty sure Langfeld doesn't have to clear waivers after the Trade Deadline cause teams can carry as many players as they want. The roster is unlimited.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:32 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
Good question. I totally forgot about that. I am pretty sure Langfeld doesn't have to clear waivers after the Trade Deadline cause teams can carry as many players as they want. The roster is unlimited.
If Langfeld is up here on an emergency recall, he HAS to go down when Varada is activated. There is no option.

As for the question, I'd keep Vermette. He's a far more usefull player. He can kill penalties, he is a far better skater, and I think he has better hockey sense than Langfeld.

Closed Thread