HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-van

Old
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
DFAC

vCash: 500
Pit-van

I know everyone's probably sick of trade proposals involving the Canucks by now, but bear with me here. I don't usually make proposals here and seeing as there are so many horrible ones out there, I'll give it a try....so be nice!

Here's what I propose

To Vancouver
Fleury
Staal
2nd Rounder

To Pittsburgh

Luongo

Why this makes sense?
- Canucks are in dire need of a big, goal scoring center. Now I know Staal had a little bit of an off year last year with only 12 goals and 28 points but I believe that he is capable of at least 25 goals given the right situation. And Canuck fans, picture this; in a few years your 4 centers would be Staal, Hodgson, Kesler, and White AND you'd have a Fleury/Schneider tandem. Not bad...
- It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it'll be hard for the Penguins to keep Staal capwise, with Crosby and Malkin there. Trading him away for Luongo would make Pittsurgh a very, very scary team. Imagine Crosby and Malkin at one end and Bobby Lu at the other...yikes!

Why this deal might not work?
- Pittsburgh may not want to part with Staal because their offence would take a hit. But hey, with Crosby and Malkin in your top 6...I wouldn't be all that concerned.
- Vancouver...is MAF good enough a goalie?
- Cap wise?

Now tell me what you all think? And again, be nice....I don't want to have to get my flame shield

Cheers

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

Pittsburgh says no quite easily.

That makes Vancouver a lot better than Pittsburgh.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
The Polak*

Contracts make this a no for pittsburgh, pretty even value wise though

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry

It would make sense only because Luongo has been involved in two of the worst trades in this century. Why not make it three in a row?

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

From a Pens fan, I'd rather just hold on to what we have. We just locked up Fleury to a great contract and Staal gives us a defensive edge with scoring potential.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:39 PM
1025*

There's absolutely no reason why either team would get rid of their franchise goalie. Especially from the Pens POV, they have a good core of youngsters that they can build up on.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Pittsburgh says no quite easily.

That makes Vancouver a lot better than Pittsburgh.
no it doesn't. vancouver, even with staal, don't come close to pittsburg in offense. and without luongo, their goaltending is nothing special.

not a pens follower so i may be way off base, but if i have crosby and malkin up front, and i can get luongo in net by trading away our "3rd line center" and our starting goalie, i'd be all over that. cap-wise there may be in issue, but just out of curiousity, why wouldn't pens fans want this trade?

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I think the Pens are going to have a big forward depth problem when all of their second contracts kick in, and having a stud like Jordan Staal is going to mean that they can at least roll three decent lines; furthermore with dominant centers on the ice for most of the game and a pretty good defense they don't need Fleury to be any better than he's capable of.

I don't see why Luongo wouldn't resign in Pittsburgh but it's not certain at all at this point; why would they give up two huge pieces of their team when that kind of risk is present.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
God
Free Citizen

There is no reason for Pittsburgh to do this. Fleury is a good enough goalie for them; why make an unnecessary upgrade at the expense of a young roster player who contributes a lot to the team?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
no it doesn't. vancouver, even with staal, don't come close to pittsburg in offense. and without luongo, their goaltending is nothing special.

not a pens follower so i may be way off base, but if i have crosby and malkin up front, and i can get luongo in net by trading away our "3rd line center" and our starting goalie, i'd be all over that. cap-wise there may be in issue, but just out of curiousity, why wouldn't pens fans want this trade?
Because Fleury, at 23, has already shown he can backstop a team to the Cup Finals, and Jordan Staal is too good and promising a player to make up the current difference between MAF and Luongo.

Plus, you know, Fleury's just signed for the next 7 years.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:22 PM
TimeZone
Nylander @ 8!

No from the pens

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Because Fleury, at 23, has already shown he can backstop a team to the Cup Finals, and Jordan Staal is too good and promising a player to make up the current difference between MAF and Luongo.

So did Ray Emery.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

the value is "pretty" fair, but not perfect. i dont think the pens need luongo, especially with a great contract for fleury and the canucks dont need fleury. and they really dont have a reason to give up on staal just yet. i dont think he'll be a penguin for life, but at least a few more years.

not bad tho ill give u a thumbs up

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post

fair enough, i can certainly understand your point of view, and it probably makes the most sense financially. however, as an outsider, i see adding luongo (a goalie who can singlehandedly win you playoff rounds) to that foward group too good to resist. and as much as fleury improve, i still see him as a fair distance from luongo's ability.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky4681 View Post
So did Ray Emery.
Emery was 24.

That and his playoff performance wasn't as impressive as Fleury's in any respect.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
fair enough, i can certainly understand your point of view, and it probably makes the most sense financially. however, as an outsider, i see adding luongo (a goalie who can singlehandedly win you playoff rounds).
We just rolled through three teams before getting outplayed by the best team in the league, in a series where Fleury was by far the best Penguin and basically won Game Five by himself. Right now we're not desperate to completely change the face of the team.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
AK

This is the one of the wildest proposals I've seen. It makes absolutely no sense at all for the Penguins. None.

But you are entitled to your opinion I guess.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Dude this is just plain madness. I think that Staal will get traded, but there's no way that the Penguins are going to give up on their goalie after he took them to the finals this year. Where has Luongo taken his teams?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Hyperkookeez*

if i were van id take this and run to the moon

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Fleury will probably have a slight playoff hangover to begin the season, but I just have a feeling that he's going to have an overall season that will make the Penguins reject the proposal even if it's just Fleury and the 2nd for Luongo.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Gooch

Wow, this is one is pretty bad. The difference between Fleury and Luongo does not offset the penguins trading away a young promising star and a pick. Add to the fact that Fleury has the potential to be Luongo, is actually finally starting to play like it, and is signed long term to a seemingly bargain contract compared to what worse goaltenders are making on the FA market and this proposal gets even worse.

Pens do not need goaltending (for once), please, if you're going to make these proposals address the NEEDS of our team instead of using any possible way to poach our young stars away.

Top 6 winger, top pairing shut-down d. We don't need goaltending, more centers, bottom 6 checkers, depth defensemen, puck moving defensemen. So unless those needs are met just please stop.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Gooch

There are a few teams out there who are in the market for a top Goaltender, they would make much better trading partners with you. I suggest you aim Luongo that way if you want a better response.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:45 AM
JTG

Pens would rather keep what they have. They just signed Fleury to what will amount a complete steal for a goaltender of his caliber. Staal's importance doesn't show itself statistically. It really makes little sense from the Pens perspective.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

No thanks.

Sincerely,
Pittsburgh

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old