HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-van

Old
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
eklunds source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
Staal and Beech, for Kesler, Burrows, Raymond and a 2nd.
Hells no. Kesler scored 21 goals last year in a checking role. Staal, in his rookie year, put in 29. We give up Burrows (a fantastic pest/pker/pk threat), our fastest skater and a former 2nd rounder that is just starting to pay dividends, and a 2nd round of our own... for a fairly small upgrade?

I think you're selling Kesler a bit short here - he's not as good as Staal offensively, but he's not all that far behind that it would require a prospect, pick, and roster player to upgrade to him.

Maybe Kesler + (Raymond+5th OR Burrows+3rd) I would do? And you can keep Beech.

Quote:
This could potentially grow into a Gonchar/Sydor+Gill salary dump onto Vancouver for Krajicek+Ellington? Value might seem not fair in Pen's fans' views, but if you dump Gonchar's salary, you can potentially use it to sign a top 6, or even top 3 winger next off season.
Canucks wouldn't give up two young players with value for 2 players who are likely to retire in the next few years, along with Gill.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Because they won't be able to afford to hold onto Staal? He's going to be worth 5 mill minimum after next season.
And why would that be a problem for the Pens? They just finished offering Hossa 7.4 mil a season long-term, so they can obviously afford to add that much more salary if they so choose.

It's a great scenario. If Staal scores a fair bit this season - perfect, they can sign him knowing he's a proven offensive contributor, because no matter what, he won't cost more than Hossa would've. If he struggles offensively, they can sign him at a lower rate. There's no way it can play out that doesn't somehow benefit the Pens, unless he all of a sudden turns into Shane Endicott, which is pretty unlikely.

Staal's ours. Deal with it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Fleury doesn't need some obnoxious guy in the crowd to tell him when Iginla's going to shoot. Advantage Fleury.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Agreed. The offer would have to be malkin/staal/2nd rounder for luongo for it to even be reasonable. The offer as it stands now is a joke.
Add Crosby, Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, and our next 5 1st round picks and MAYBE this deal might get some intrest....MAYBE. The deal would stand as

To Pittsburgh

Luongo

To Vancouver

Crosby
Malkin
Fleury
Staal
Gonchar
Whitney
Letang
next 5 1st round pens picks
2nd round pick in 2009

Yup, might have to add more going to Vancouver...maybe Eaton, and Orpik. The deal sounds about right now.

Time to rebuild in Pittsburgh. Get Tavares? that would be nice, maybe there is a Malkin in the 2010 draft? and a Fleury in the 2011 draft?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
Laugh.

As real as the trade proposal in this thread?
Cry

Touche

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Airborne Troll*

Everybody would take Luongo

Imagine Crosby, Malkin and Luongo

Dynasty...

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Pens get the better side of this deal. Staal isn't that amazing to fans other than the Pens, Fluery is a good young goalie, but no Luongo.

Pens would beat Detroit with this team. Crosby and Malkin playing with the puck for 70% of the game and Luongo shutting the door. They don't even need defence anymore.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:34 AM
DFAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
Pens get the better side of this deal. Staal isn't that amazing to fans other than the Pens, Fluery is a good young goalie, but no Luongo.

Pens would beat Detroit with this team. Crosby and Malkin playing with the puck for 70% of the game and Luongo shutting the door. They don't even need defence anymore.
Exactly. I'm still baffled as to why Pen fans don't like this deal.

If I can have Malkin, Crosby and Luongo on one team, I take it and run...fast.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 12:57 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Add Crosby, Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, and our next 5 1st round picks and MAYBE this deal might get some intrest....MAYBE. The deal would stand as

To Pittsburgh

Luongo

To Vancouver

Crosby
Malkin
Fleury
Staal
Gonchar
Whitney
Letang
next 5 1st round pens picks
2nd round pick in 2009

Yup, might have to add more going to Vancouver...maybe Eaton, and Orpik. The deal sounds about right now.

Time to rebuild in Pittsburgh. Get Tavares? that would be nice, maybe there is a Malkin in the 2010 draft? and a Fleury in the 2011 draft?
How would they rebuild if there 1st were going to Vancouver . Pittsburgh right now is not going to want to upgrade MAF for Luongo atm unless MAF burns out. and Right now at most it would take to balance out a MAF for Luongo swap would probably be Staal. (High price but Luongo in net means Pittsburgh would be free to play even more offensive and could challenge some old goal totals in a season. But makes no sense for Pittsburgh to deal for Luongo if they have a very capable young goalie.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Exactly. I'm still baffled as to why Pen fans don't like this deal.

If I can have Malkin, Crosby and Luongo on one team, I take it and run...fast.
If I can have Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Staal for 6 or 7 years instead I take my chances with the 4 personally. Luongo doesn't make the Pens so significantly better in net that they're guaranteed Stanley Cup champs. What Detroit did to the Pens in the cup wasn't something a better goalie would've fixed so it's not really an area that needs upgraded, which is reflected in the fact that Fleury was given a 7 year deal. People are acting like Luongo is the best goalie in the world or something, but the man doesn't even have a Vezina.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:21 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
People are acting like Luongo is the best goalie in the world or something, but the man doesn't even have a Vezina.

Brodeur didn't win his first Vezina until 9 years into his career. If you don't think Luongo is at LEAST top-3 in the world, that's fine - I used to be ignorant too. Lundqvist, Giguere, Nabokov, Turco, Vokoun don't have Vezina trophies either, and I'd take any one of them over Fleury in a heartbeat.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:53 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
If I can have Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Staal for 6 or 7 years instead I take my chances with the 4 personally. Luongo doesn't make the Pens so significantly better in net that they're guaranteed Stanley Cup champs. What Detroit did to the Pens in the cup wasn't something a better goalie would've fixed so it's not really an area that needs upgraded, which is reflected in the fact that Fleury was given a 7 year deal. People are acting like Luongo is the best goalie in the world or something, but the man doesn't even have a Vezina.
How are you going to keep Staal? You know he's going to push for 3-4 million. Can he play wing?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
How are you going to keep Staal? You know he's going to push for 3-4 million. Can he play wing?
how are we not going to keep Staal? they had the money free to offer Hossa much more than 3-4million, guys like Satan and Fedotenko only have one year deals. Yes he can play wing he put up 29 goals spending time at wing in his rookie season. Seriously how many Staal to Vancouver deals are we going to see come through here? pretty much the same thing always someone makes a proposal for Staal, Pens fans respond that he is not getting traded atm, everyman and his dog jumps on the Pens fans for overrating Staal which leads to accusations of Pens fans overrating all of their players in general. The Pens have zero reason to move Staal unless you have some wing around Staals age with as much potential as Staal.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:22 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen25 View Post
Yeah, this would be a joke ..... to the Pens. Luongo hasn't led anybody anywhere.
And he won't be for quite awhile.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:52 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Brodeur didn't win his first Vezina until 9 years into his career. If you don't think Luongo is at LEAST top-3 in the world, that's fine - I used to be ignorant too. Lundqvist, Giguere, Nabokov, Turco, Vokoun don't have Vezina trophies either, and I'd take any one of them over Fleury in a heartbeat.
Take out Lundqvist and what did those goalies accomplish before their 24th birthday? That is why I'm taking Fleury. He has done what he has thus far and he hasn't even touched his potential peak yet.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:40 AM
HappyHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Because they won't be able to afford to hold onto Staal? He's going to be worth 5 mill minimum after next season.
Well if they wouldn't be able to afford Staal, (which is possible) they wouldn't be able afford Luongo in 2 years when his deal is up. So I would say it's better to lose a RFA in Staal and get good compensation, than it is to have no number goaltender in 3 years.

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Gooch

I'm Sorry, I just don't see the HUGE difference between an elite goaltender and a great goaltender. Certainly not enough of a difference to give up the better contract, the stud 19 year old shut-down centerman, and a 2nd round pick.

There would be an overall net loss because our main defensive center will be going away and will probably result in more goals given up even with a better goaltender.

We all realize Luongo is pretty much regarded as the 2nd best goaltender. We arent disputing that, but we are questioning just how much of a difference he can make when the goaltending situation in Pittsburgh is pretty solid right now and set to be that way for a whole while longer.

I doubt the penguins would even pitch for Luongo's services if he was a free agent, let alone trade valuable assets for him. It just isnt a need of ours, and like I said earlier there are other teams that do NEED him and can offer a much better return. Ottawa comes to mind.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
ttam103

UGh, yeah i dont understand why Pens fan doesnt like this far fetched proposal.

If we are trading Luongo, we need an offensive stud back in return. Not someoen whose potentially a stud, we need a stud now.

Hence why I keep saying we better get Malkin back. We dont want potential in return for Luongo.

I like fleury. Hes stuck it out and the pens had patience with him and hes developed into a solid NHL goalie. He's stil not Luongo.

Im not trading one of teh best young goalies in the league for a overhyped and maybe a little more potential version of Kesler and a goaltender who has matured into a solid NHL goalie.

Im done with our goalie rotating. We have Luongo. We hold onto Luongo for dear life.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:55 AM
HappyHuman

Quote:

Staal played wing his first season on a line with Malkin. I think this season he will at least get another shot at it with the lack scoring wing forwards on the team. Besides his salary increase isn't as much as people think it's going to be. With bonuses he already counts as 2.2 million against the cap. So even for those that think he's going to make 5 million next season, that's only 2.8 million more. Sydor's 2.5 million will be gone next season so the problem is pretty much already solved.

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
WingsLove88

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
i meant blanket statements like the one you responded to not yours. kinda confusing how i worded that but i was in agreeance.
Oh... yes there was massive confusion. Thank you for agreeing

I don't think Pittsburgh should shake things up, they were that close to having a Cup team so I would think they can do it again, if not win it all within a couple years.

WingsLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Nothing appears to have changed in that regard, why such a high opinion of yourself now? None of those guys is so significantly better than Fleury that you could trade necessary roster players from other positions for any of them and upgrade to a point where the Penguins are better than the Wings, not a single one of them. The point of making the deal would be to win a Stanley cup, and not a single one of them would've done significantly if any better than Fleury did last year.

To the people who keep saying Malkin would have to be going back, perhaps Gillis can call Shero and offer him a 50 dollar bill in exchange for a 100 dollar bill because that deal is quite unrealistic. A top goalie will never be worth a top forward unless a team is in Ottawa's situation, and even they wouldn't trade their best forward in Alfredsson for Luongo. As I discussed in my earlier post, Malkin's potential salary that he gave up and then the discount that he accepted are both far higher than anything Luongo can realistically expect to make. Goalies do not have the same value in this league as a top forward, that sentiment is reflected in the pay scale that both positions have at the top end.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote