HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me choose pad color.

Old
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

vCash: 500
Help me choose pad color.

Last week ago I was told that College Hockey East is switching to NHL rules for goalie pads. This means that all my pads are now illegal and I have to switch to 11inch pads by the 28th of September. (First game.) So I don't have time to order custom colors like I usually do so I must buy them off the shelf. Now, it's down to 2 colors. All white, or Marc-Andre Fleury yellow.

The Fleurys: Leaning towards these because these would my my jerseys perfect both home and away. But I will get alot of **** from other teams for wearing yellow pads like Fleury used to. This applys even more because I live in the Pittsburgh area. Plus, everyone and their mom will tell me ''But the study from Ottawa said yellow is bad!!!!111'' Guess what? I don't buy it. If I was playing for millions of dollars, then it would be important to me. But it's not. Please don't tell me about the study about bright pads. Go tell Marty Turco or Bobby Lou that their colored pads are hurting them. They do just fine.

The All white: These are so clean. But they don't match the jerseys very well. I wouldn't put up with the crap, but I think the all white might be too. No personality in them.

My jersey:

(The white ones.) The home jerseys is all dark green.

The pads:

Thoughts?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Brodeur

Do you have a preference to stick to RBK PIIs? You seem to have linked the picture from the Turco break pads as well. Make sure they fit correctly first, the Fleury colors come in 32", 33", 35", and 36". The all white are listed in stock at 32"+1", 33"+1", 34"+1", 35"+2" and 38". Although those sizes are close enough that you could easily deal with 34"+1" or 35".

I've been eyeing the Vaughn 7400 and the Boston (Yellow/Black) might go okay with your colors. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-g...y-7400-sr.html

Definitely a busier leg channel than my RBKs. When I tried the Vaughns, they felt much different since they hadn't been broken in yet.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I want to make the jump to RBK P2s. I've been wearing Vaughn V2's for the last 5 years and they've been great, but I've always felt they have been a bit on the heavy side. I think the RBKs are slightly ligther. I wear 35 inch now, but they are not tall enough to cover the 5 hole. I believe RBK P2s have a built in +1 so I could get the Fleruy 35 inches. My other goalie teammate has Vaughn V3s and has to wear 37+1 to cover his 5 hole area and he isn't much taller than me. And yes, I need to Turco break because my butterfly isn't very wide.

Thanks!

Old
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Crosbyfan

Go with the Fleury's. Someone has to wear them and you don't mind having pads that scream their position to every shooters peripheral vision.

In all seriousness wear them and have fun. If someone says they are a disadvantage you can agree with them- "I know! I'd probably be in the NHL without them. Who wants that kind of stress in their life. etc.etc."

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd probably get white pads with the black stripes. They look a lot more interesting than the all-white, plus you get the "advantage" of white pads. Plus if you switch teams down the road, your pads won't stick out too much. I'm not a goalie, but I do notice that goalies with white pads are harder to shoot on IMO than dark ones because I can't see them as easily out of my peripheral.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
pfloyd75

White pads are where its at. They stand out less to the shooter and have the illusion of being "bigger" than they really are. Besides, your pads will likely last longer than your time on the team and white pads match everything.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
White pads are where its at. They stand out less to the shooter and have the illusion of being "bigger" than they really are. Besides, your pads will likely last longer than your time on the team and white pads match everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
This applys even more because I live in the Pittsburgh area. Plus, everyone and their mom will tell me ''But the study from Ottawa said yellow is bad!!!!111'' Guess what? I don't buy it. If I was playing for millions of dollars, then it would be important to me. But it's not. Please don't tell me about the study about bright pads. Go tell Marty Turco or Bobby Lou that their colored pads are hurting them. They do just fine.

?
Thanks for reading the thread.

Fleurys yellow pads were hurting him because the only thing yellow on him was his pads. The rest of him was black and las vegas gold, not yellow. Shooters would read his pretty easy because they knew yellow was pad. My jersey has lots of the same color yellow that pads do. The center logo of the jersey is yellow. It will blend so the pads aren't the only thing standing out.

Old
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
stick9

Quote:
Thanks for reading the thread.

Fleurys yellow pads were hurting him because the only thing yellow on him was his pads. The rest of him was black and las vegas gold, not yellow. Shooters would read his pretty easy because they knew yellow was pad. My jersey has lots of the same color yellow that pads do. The center logo of the jersey is yellow. It will blend so the pads aren't the only thing standing out.
There's something to his switch. Tim Thomas of the Bruins (another yellow pad guy) showed up to camp with white pads. The reason these guys are switching is because yellow is very easy for the human eye to pick up. The boards are white, why not try and blend in as much as possible.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
There's something to his switch. Tim Thomas of the Bruins (another yellow pad guy) showed up to camp with white pads. The reason these guys are switching is because yellow is very easy for the human eye to pick up. The boards are white, why not try and blend in as much as possible.
The boards are grey, the back of the net is dark grey. White pads don't blend into the back of the net and boards as much as they do in the NHL where everything is fresh white.

Old
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
MikeD

Harv,
We all knew that the NCAA was going to switch to the NHL standard this season. They provided notice that same year. It shouldnt have been a surprise to you.

dont over think it. Do what goalies have been doing since they added color...get what you LIKE. Your over thinking the whole thing. It is amazing to me that you havent picked out the fact that the graphics alone highlight the five hole. Look at them...where does the eye naturally drift to.....at a glace the shooter can lock in.
Graphics are more important than colors once you leave the whites/silver/grey.

My youngest has worn greys silver and whites for most of his 8 years in net. They get puck marks and such...they blend. The marks are his "badges" like stickers on a football helmet. Certain marks he can tell you about the shot and save made...

MITE

BANTAM

Last edited by MikeD: 09-21-2008 at 05:40 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
deanosaur

Banana yellow
or pure white.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

White ...

If you want to look like a tool, go with Yellow.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Harv,
We all knew that the NCAA was going to switch to the NHL standard this season. They provided notice that same year. It shouldnt have been a surprise to you.
They brought me in as an incoming transfer student from another college that didn't have a hockey program. This will be true first season of college hockey. I knew of no such rule. They never told me until 2 weeks practice til the program president came into the locker room to ask me if my pads were legal.

And that's for the tool comment to the poster above. It's not like I'm wearing pads that are pink with a popped collar.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Brodeur

Upon more thought, I'd go with the all white. If you're getting the blocker/gloves as well, you're probably dropping at least $1500 on the PII's and would want it to last past your college career. All white would be easier to match with any future teams you might end up on.

But in the end, get what you like. Unless you're thinking of going pro, this is all for fun anyways.

Old
09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
White ...

If you want to look like a tool, go with Yellow.
yeah, tell him to live his life in a way that makes YOU happy, not him. Just make sure the next time he posts about being sick or in financial crisis you are as interested.

as someone above said, go with what you like. Idiots will give you a hard time no matter what. Unless they're paying for your gear who cares?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:22 AM
rinkrat22

go with what you like. and yellow seems to be where you are leaning. good shooters find holes and it doesn't matter what color the pads are. good shooters whatch your habits as a goalie just like you try to pick up their habits. (you know this guy like to do this in that situation) if you have played hockey long enough and I am guessing you have you know what I mean. the pad color shouldn't matter except for YOUR confidence. which as a coach thats what I want, a confident goalie.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

This thread is pretty worthless now. Called goalie monkey to order and they are fresh out of everything that isn't red or blue. Same with every other online hockey store.

Old
09-20-2008, 08:48 PM
n0pan
waddup doe

Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
Silver/Black/White looks aweshum, but take the Fleury ones.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
MikeD

Quote:
This thread is pretty worthless now. Called goalie monkey to order and they are fresh out of everything that isn't red or blue. Same with every other online hockey store.
if you in a bind on needing the gear...

Give Simmons a call. They have a pad design to suit any ghoalie and can have them in your colors very fast. 1-800-598-9298 ask to speak with Mark. Not to say they are a last choice sup[plier by any means. Its def. Quality gear.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
melubsdonna

pure white pads are sexy.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
noobman

Loud, eye-popping pads are great for butterfly goalies. A lot of players will quickly look up before rifling their shot. The bright coloured pads will be the first thing their eyes catch, and will likely be the target for most shots.

Of course, any player with some level of skill will know to look past the goalie to find the holes. Bright pads are still a distraction for a shooter though.

That being said... I'd vote for the yellow or red pads.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Hope you find something. I've been waiting several months for them to get 34"+1" Vaughns in White/White/Red/Black.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
My Name Is Judge

Scott Battram (http://www.battram.com) can also do pads in a pinch, depending on his current workload at the time. Very customer-focused and friendly fellow.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

hockeygeeks.com ... even though you think I'm a jerk.

They have these P2's in 34+2 - Turco Flex:

http://hockeygeeks.com/display_produ...roduct_id=2164

they also have all Silver and a pair of Black Weave with white in 35 inch ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Thanks for the link, but pads we're ordered yesterday. I'll post pics when they get here. But you found my glove and blocker. (Granted, they have them in stock.)