HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

I just got fired

Old
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
Dude, blockbuster has both feet out the door anyway. who cares. I worked at a sandwich shop back in HS. A chick I worked with gave one of her friends an extra slice of cheese to one of her friends and was canned 5 minutes later. boss dude was watching on the video cameras.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Hale The Villain

Go back and rent 100 movies under a false name and never give them back

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Retail is serious business.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
algernon

If I were in your shoes, i'd start an online videos-on-demand, or videos-to-your-door service and extract that pound of flesh with some healthy competition... THEN they would rue...RUE!! the day they #^%ed with Jok-at-the-drive-in.

algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
DEMOMAHN*

Send a message via MSN to DEMOMAHN*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylzzz View Post
haha yeah i got a job at mcdonalds just to give my friends free food and got fired the next day. I had like 5 cars go through the drive threw.
Why even bother wasting their time then? You may have beaten out someone who actually needed that job. Youth of today I suppose (At least I hope to god you are a youth. That kind of thing happening with anyone else is really pathetic)

DEMOMAHN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Oh do I have a funny story for you. My first job was working at a chinese restaurant in town. I had to work the phone and register. It was a part time job from 5-8 pm from Wed-Sat night. They paid me $5/hour, yeah, I was racking in some serious dough back then. So my first day was Saturday night and it was quite busy. Now you all know how big a chinese menu is, so people were calling up and ordering tons of stuff and I had no clue where anything was on the menu, so when they were ordering their 6th item, I was just locating the 2nd item on the menu.

So when I first get there, my boss was some chinese lady whose name that 1. I couldnt understand and 2. couldnt pronounce. It was some chinese name, but I'll come back to that later. I then have some Indian dude come in and keep telling me he wanted "green chili". I had no clue what the hell this guy was talking about or wanted so I went in back to get my boss. It took about 5-10 minutes before she realized what he wanted and that we didnt have it.

So now its getting close to 8 pm, and I get a call from someone who said they had a delivery and got the wrong item. They said they ordered boneless spareribs and they got regular ones. Apparantly I saw spareribs on the menu so I circled it. I didnt pay attention whether they were boneless or not. So I tell the people on the phone someone will bring them their ribs. So then I see my mom pull up in front to pick me up. So I walk in back where everyone is chinese and all shouting chinese. So I tell them someone got the wrong order and that someone has to deliver their stuff. Then I tell them its 8:00 and my shift is up and Im leaving. So they pay my hard earned $15 and I leave.

Now the fun begins. I called the next day to tell my boss I couldnt work Wed because I bowled varsity in high school and we had matches M-T-W. I asked for whatever her name was but whoever answered the phone had no clue who I was talking about. So after 5 minutes of trying to get them to understand who I was talking about I said, its the only lady that works here. They said oh, she no here, so I said screw it Im not going to bother with this anymore.

So now Tuesday comes and I am still on my way home from bowling and I get home and my brother says that my job called. It was my boss. He says what his conversation was with her and I am not making this up, this is classic.

My bro: "Hello".
Chinese lady: "Is the kid there"?
My bro: "Who"?
Chinese lady: "The kid that work here".
My bro: "Oh, my bro, no hes still at school".
Chinese lady: "Oh, tell him he no work here no more".

Now how great is that. So there I was with my $15 of hard earned money for that one night, never to work there again. Although I still order my chinese food from that place, its great stuff. Its one of those fake chinese food places, but what can I say, the food is good.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Retail is serious business.
And so is the internet!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
First time ever for me.

I worked at Blockbuster and I gave a friend of mine a discount last week. Turns out that's a form of "theft". **** that stupid company.

Now I am unemployed and have to pay my bills!
I feel for you man. Back when I was a teen I worked at a local sandwich place called dagwoods. Now, I've never been one to steal from where I work. I just feel it is wrong to steal from the person who is writing your pay cheques. I've even had TERRIBLE bosses before who scammed me on pay etc, and I even thought about stealing from them, sort of to make it even, but I never did steal or let anyone have anything for free. I guess I'm just not the type of person to do that.

But back to my story. So I was working at this sandwich place dagwoods and you know what, at the time I was a bit of a shady character or at least, I seemed like one. Many teens do. So I worked there for 2 weeks and then found out last minute I was being invited on vacation with my family, they decided to take me along with them so I told my boss I'd be gone for a week. I left, came back, and worked for one more week.

Next thing I knew, I was being fired for stealing. Apparently 265$ over the course of the 3 weeks I worked was missing.

The worst part is, I worked literally like 19-20 out of 21 of those days. I literally worked all times of the day almost every single day. He had written down the days money went missing and added them up. Accused me of stealing and I denied it because I never even stole a penny.

In the end I was wrongfully fired. I'm assuming somebody used me as their pawn, basically stealing whenever I was working etc. The worst part is he has cameras and couldn't prove I was stealing. (Obviously you can't prove someone was stealing when they weren't)

I guess since I was new and the stealing stopped conveniently when I was on vacation, he had no choice but to fire me in order to protect his business. It would be impossible to trust me anymore. Kind of sucked though cause I didn't do anything, really needed the money and loved the job.

I even told my boss that he was the nicest boss I had ever had, that I wouldn't ever have stolen from him ever and that I'm not a thief! I guess he didn't buy it. Somebody purposely ****ing stole when I was there and not when I wasn't scheduled to take the heat off of them!

Grrr till this day it STILL pisses me off. In the end because of it though I ended up with a much better job, and who knows how **** my life would be at this point had he not fired me. I could still be working at like 10$ an hour working 6-7 day weeks etc.

I guess karma really does exist, I didn't deserve to be fired and because of it, I have a much easier job that pays much more now, and said person who was stealing was probably fired as they probably didn't stop stealing after I left.

It pisses me off though cause my boss was the type of guy I could've seen myself being close friends with, we shared a lot of the same interests and he really did seem like a really nice guy, but now he thinks I'm some sort of thief or something when I didn't even steal jack ****. I never even took too much meat for my free sandwich or ANYTHING.

Plus what kind of moron steals from the first day they get a job? I would've assumed people who actually do steal from a job figure out a system that they can use to get away with it, and that would require you to work there for a bit.

I guess he saw the dates where somebody stole were dates I worked, saw that it stopped while I was on vacation, and coupled that with the fact that I told him I really needed to keep this job and wouldn't ever steal from him. Maybe he thought I was desperate for $ when I said this and it just made him have even less doubt. Funny part is, I really did need the $ and wasn't willing to risk losing a job I needed by stealing.

Another stupid thing is that on one of the days I didn't work and was on vacation, 45$ went missing. It's funny how he doesn't take that into consideration, that maybe late in the week said person got desperate and needed money and couldn't hide it by using me anymore cause I was on vacation, so did it anyways in an act of desperation.

Another stupid thing is that two of the employees were extremely unhappy there (long time employees) where as I loved the job. My boss even told me I was the fastest person he had seen learn how to use a slicer, I was into it, I really liked working there, my boss was a nice guy, most of the people were cool, etc.

Sometimes in life, things just aren't fair.

Hopefully you find a new job that pays more and is something you like doing a lot more.

My point is, I know what it feels like to need the $ and get fired for a stupid reason.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Go back and rent 100 movies under a false name and never give them back
My friend used to know a guy on his street during the n64 era of gaming. He would get a fake id/cc/etc and go sign up at a blockbuster, rent a few times and go and rent like 10 games at once, say he's having a party or something.

Then he'd never go back ever again

People are so dumb with their schemes to get $$$ but back then games cost like 99.99$ each etc.

Old
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Never been fired..

Quit at Wendy's because the manager was a tool...

All of my other jobs I've left because I had to go back to school..

I think I would take a firing really hard...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Never been fired..

Quit at Wendy's because the manager was a tool...

All of my other jobs I've left because I had to go back to school..

I think I would take a firing really hard...
It was for me, the only time I've ever been fired and I took it pretty hard because I needed the job and didn't deserve to be fired, ontop of that I was being called a thief which I was not

It's funny though, when I told my dad about what had happened he flipped the **** out. He didn't even question that I had stolen he asked for my works # and *****ed out my boss right away saying that his son isn't a ****ing thief etc.

It's never a bad thing to have good parents, something I'm really lucky with in my life is that I have good family. I always feel bad when I meet people who are the opposite, like many of my friends.

Old
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Psh. I used to do that at Rite-Aid all the time. Nobody ever asked me where those $15 coupons went

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
JoeHockey

I was accused of stealing one day and I quit. I wasn't even scheduled the days the money went missing. There were three whites working and we were all accused of theft. The manager and the rest were all asians. I just quit, I don't need foreigners coming to my country to discriminate against me when obviously I wasn't even working when the money went missing and every white person got accused and not a single asian person was...bs. BTW..I'm not racist against asians..I married one.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
I've never been fired and I'm not sure how I would take it. That's not what worries me. What worries me is how it would look on a resume. What are you supposed to say at a job interview when they ask you why you left a job? Oh well I stole money and got fired? Whose going to want to hire you?

09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
First time ever for me.

I worked at Blockbuster and I gave a friend of mine a discount last week. Turns out that's a form of "theft". **** that stupid company.

Now I am unemployed and have to pay my bills!
I'm surprised you didn't know you weren't allowed to give out discounts to friends. Sucks that you got fired, but at least now you'll know for your next job that saving your friend a few bucks isn't worth getting fired over.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

I used to work at a fairly busy blockbuster, but I would rent/buy movies at this little indie place because I knew the guys that owned it and liked to go there better.

Apparently one of the things they make you sign when you start working at blockbuster is this non-disclosure waiver or some such thing, that says you can't work at any other video store for three years or something.

Well, one of my 'venerable' co-workers spotted me going into this other place and must have watched me because I was in there for 3 hours.

The next day, I was fired from blockbuster and they were going to take me to court because they thought I was working at the indie place and giving them 'trade secrets'.

So, in summation, Block Buster are the nazis of the video store world!!

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post

Thats funny, I think back to a lot of my highschool jobs and they are just funny now. I never got fired or anything, just funny stuff. I was paid to gaurd some equiptment at night, I would show up then go off and ran sack the town, then come back, everything was always safe where I worked, it was the rest of the town that was in trouble.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
I've never been fired and I'm not sure how I would take it. That's not what worries me. What worries me is how it would look on a resume. What are you supposed to say at a job interview when they ask you why you left a job? Oh well I stole money and got fired? Whose going to want to hire you?
You usually don't put any job down where you were fired, or left on bad terms on resumes

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollen Nation 1 View Post
Well its not advice but:

once someone i went to high school with was on shrooms and drove his car through the front window of a blockbuster
Was he trying to avoid the late fees?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
The Big Dog*

It's not really a "technicality". You *did* commit theft. Giving your friend a discount is pretty much the same as opening the register and giving him a few dollars.

Last edited by The Big Dog*: 09-19-2008 at 12:19 AM.
The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:06 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Find something else a little more fun and learn from your mistake.
Specifically: If you steal, make sure not to get caught.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
excape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
I was accused of stealing one day and I quit. I wasn't even scheduled the days the money went missing. There were three whites working and we were all accused of theft. The manager and the rest were all asians. I just quit, I don't need foreigners coming to my country to discriminate against me when obviously I wasn't even working when the money went missing and every white person got accused and not a single asian person was...bs. BTW..I'm not racist against asians..I married one.

Granted, the guys that accused you were idiots, but still...

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:52 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
My first job was at a hospital kitchen, and we used to totally rip that place off. They didn't keep track of anything in stock. Just ordered more when things got low. If I was hungry, I ate what I wanted, and so did everyone else. Well, the younger people, anyways. The girls in the cafe would make us some great burgers, too. I was bad, but I wasn't the worst. There were people who would literally take cases of soda or whatever. The bosses must have started to catch on as I was on my way out, as they started getting stricter about paying for the cafe food and stuff.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Dude, blockbuster has both feet out the door anyway. who cares. I worked at a sandwich shop back in HS. A chick I worked with gave one of her friends an extra slice of cheese to one of her friends and was canned 5 minutes later. boss dude was watching on the video cameras.
that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard... I used to give extra cheese and meat just because a customer was nice... it was on campus and run by students, though... i once slept through half a shift and nobody really said anything...

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote