HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Drill?

Old
09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Blueshirt24

vCash: 500
New Drill?

The coach for our college team decided at the last practice that from now on he's going to call on one player each practice and they have to supply an original drill (in other words, one we don't regularly run) for us to do for 5 minutes during that practice. I've been having trouble coming up with anything so I figured I'd turn it over to you guys as I'm bound to get a wealth or responses here. I'm open to anything but I'd like to do something that works with passing. I've been thinking about a 3 on 2 power play type drill, where a forward line holds the puck in the zone and cycles it against two defensemen, but I'm not really sold on it. Any ideas?

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:48 PM
PensFanInCBus

If your team works the cycle in games, then this is a great drill to run. You could add the wrinkle that you incorporate a streaking defenseman after the 3-man had
held the possession long enough. If you want to make it a more intense drill, start with d-men on the blueline and dump in to gain the cycle.

The best part of your coach asking for drill ideas is that it makes the team really think about the things that make you successful and reinforces that into your system. Smart coach.

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Crazy Carl Spackler
Arch Duke of Raleigh

One thing I had me team do (10-12 year olds) is this:

Go to a face off circle. Two kids stand back to back on the red line that makes the circle. They skate in opposite directions doing their best to stick to the circle. Then, when they get to the opposite side of the circle, they have to dodge each other. They keep on going for a few minutes, keep on circling and side-stepping/dodging each other every 10 seconds or so.

Yes, they will collide at times, but also, they'll learn how to read the body langauge of the on coming player as to see which direction they might go.

Oh...no pucks, no sticks...yet.

If your players are comfortable with this, then add sticks, and then when they are comfortable with sticks, then add pucks. You could also have one player with the puck and the other player must try to "rush" him and get the puck off of his stick and/or gain control of it.

If you have really agressive players, then you could try some hip checking as well with this drill.

See the lame attached drawing. My players could dance around any other team.

Last edited by Crazy Carl Spackler: 11-04-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Crazy Carl Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Ron Jovi

good idea, not bad for an Isle's fan
really though, i like any drill that has progression

Ron Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote