HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price's potential

Old
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
BulldogFever

vCash: 500
Carey Price's potential

Carey Price has an amazing pedigree, World Junior Championship, Calder Cup Championship, 5 th overall draft pick, etc... The big question is what's his potential? I don't want to put anymore pressure on the kid, but what do people think he's career will be like?
He reminds me a lot of my hero growing up - Ken Dryden - big, athletic. quick
12-15 yr. career, 3 Vezinas, 2 Jennings, 4 cups.
He has the talent, he's going to have great talent in front of him. Wait until his defensive corps is McDonagh, Weber, Subban, Komisarek, Markov, Valentenko, Carle, O'Byrne? Fisher?
And Halak might be not that far away!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:26 PM
TheCH*

Amazing pedigree?

I know his dad was a goalie, but he wasn't amazing.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
As silly as it is to say these words so early in his career: I believe he has Hall of Fame potential

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:53 PM
ed ible*

They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:55 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................
That would be awesome.
Price wins 8 cups and 6 Conn Smythe.

They would lower Roys #33 if he did that and allow him to wear #9 on occasion (as per the request of the Richard family)

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He will be gods. Yes, gods as in more than one

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 02:05 AM
OnePoll*

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:50 AM
lasainteflanelle*

41 shutouts...all at home

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Price will be as good as he wants to be. He can be an above average goalie in the NHL just on talent and size alone. If he wants to be a Roy or Brodeur he will have to be mentally tough and keep working at his craft and constantly push himself. Rollie is a great coach to have if you look at his track record.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:29 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I'm not saying he will become that, but he could be the best goalie in the league during his prime.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
anarmandaleb

Honestly, it all depends on him and how he takes care of his game, mentally and physically. I'd say Brodeur/Luongo status is not impossible but it would take a lot of work on his part.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think carey price's could potentially be ont eh ebst goalies to lace up pads.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

definitely better than Latendresse.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.
How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
definitely better than Latendresse.
Ahhh ... The famous post #15 ... lolll

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals
wow...very interesting

Old
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
HabsGuy19

Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Awesome comparison, that gets me pumped.

HabsGuy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Bobby G

He has the potential to walk on water, especially after losing all that weight.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 05:23 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.
Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards

Old
09-20-2008, 05:40 PM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

I do recall the endless complaints at the drafting of Price 5th overall. I think it's fare to say Hab nation has it's tale between it's legs on that one.

Cary Price has the potential to be as good as...Carey Price.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards

So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?
Sorry but Luongo is nowhere close to Roy, Brodeur or Hasek status. If he had the teams that the three goalies had, where is the guarantee he would win anything? There is no guarantee he could win on the teams that Brodeur and Hasek were on. I doubt Luongo could handle the pressure in Montreal like Roy did.

You actually think Crosby and Ovechkin can be put in the same category as Gretzky and Lemieux? They would not be considered great compared to players such as those. Maybe in 20 years they will be, but at the moment they aren't.

Luongo did that only 1 season. One season doesn't describe a career. I'm interested to know what the other goaltenders save percentages were that season. Also around 2001 or so is where teams started playing a lot better defensively so goalies' stats improved. Another user on this forum had mentioned this before.

You actually are going to argue that Roy did not deserve his Conn Smyths?
Stanley Cups and Conn Smyths are not just any "award."