HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price's potential

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
  #1
BulldogFever
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Carey Price's potential

Carey Price has an amazing pedigree, World Junior Championship, Calder Cup Championship, 5 th overall draft pick, etc... The big question is what's his potential? I don't want to put anymore pressure on the kid, but what do people think he's career will be like?
He reminds me a lot of my hero growing up - Ken Dryden - big, athletic. quick
12-15 yr. career, 3 Vezinas, 2 Jennings, 4 cups.
He has the talent, he's going to have great talent in front of him. Wait until his defensive corps is McDonagh, Weber, Subban, Komisarek, Markov, Valentenko, Carle, O'Byrne? Fisher?
And Halak might be not that far away!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:26 PM
  #2
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Amazing pedigree?

I know his dad was a goalie, but he wasn't amazing.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:30 PM
  #3
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
As silly as it is to say these words so early in his career: I believe he has Hall of Fame potential

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:53 PM
  #4
ed ible*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:55 PM
  #5
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................
That would be awesome.
Price wins 8 cups and 6 Conn Smythe.

They would lower Roys #33 if he did that and allow him to wear #9 on occasion (as per the request of the Richard family)

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
  #6
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,159
vCash: 500
He will be gods. Yes, gods as in more than one

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 02:05 AM
  #7
OnePoll*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:50 AM
  #8
lasainteflanelle*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
41 shutouts...all at home

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:03 AM
  #9
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,938
vCash: 500
Price will be as good as he wants to be. He can be an above average goalie in the NHL just on talent and size alone. If he wants to be a Roy or Brodeur he will have to be mentally tough and keep working at his craft and constantly push himself. Rollie is a great coach to have if you look at his track record.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:29 AM
  #10
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
I'm not saying he will become that, but he could be the best goalie in the league during his prime.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
  #11
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,372
vCash: 500
I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
  #12
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Honestly, it all depends on him and how he takes care of his game, mentally and physically. I'd say Brodeur/Luongo status is not impossible but it would take a lot of work on his part.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
  #13
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,599
vCash: 500
I think carey price's could potentially be ont eh ebst goalies to lace up pads.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:35 PM
  #14
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
I really think that he'll be the next Brodeur/ Luongo, of this era. Possible Hall of Fame, if not a bit early.
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
  #15
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 16,701
vCash: 500
definitely better than Latendresse.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
  #16
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
They are going to retire #33 this year for a reason......................It has to be done before #31 makes him look foolish.................
There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:06 PM
  #17
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
There never will be another Roy, especially in a salary cap era.
How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:09 PM
  #18
Prospector
Registered User
 
Prospector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
definitely better than Latendresse.
Ahhh ... The famous post #15 ... lolll

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:25 PM
  #19
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals
wow...very interesting

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
  #20
HabsGuy19
Registered User
 
HabsGuy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PEI, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Only 3 goalies aged 21 or less have ever put up a save % of .915 or more: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals
Awesome comparison, that gets me pumped.

HabsGuy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:50 PM
  #21
Bobby G
Registered User
 
Bobby G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
He has the potential to walk on water, especially after losing all that weight.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 05:23 PM
  #22
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
How does a salary cap mean there won't be a goalie as good as Patrick Roy?? Does not compute.

There will never be a team as good as the 1977 Canadiens in a salary cap era. Agree.
There will never be a player as good as player X because of the salary cap.... Makes no sense dude. I don't see how the salary cap diminishes the talent of one player.
Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 05:40 PM
  #23
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,886
vCash: 500
I do recall the endless complaints at the drafting of Price 5th overall. I think it's fare to say Hab nation has it's tale between it's legs on that one.

Cary Price has the potential to be as good as...Carey Price.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
  #24
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Well it depends on your definition of a great goalie is. In my definition, they need either a high save percentage in comparison to other goalies, multiple Stanley Cups, Conn Smyth trophies or some combination of the 3 characteristics identified above.

I know a lot of people consider Luongo to be a great goalie. However, I feel that he is only a good goalie in comparison to goalies such as Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur etc. My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage nor does he have multiple Stanley Cup rings nor does he have a multitude of Conn Smyth wins. With the salary cap era, it would be pretty tough for any current goalie to top 3-4 Stanley cups combined with 3 Conn Smyth trophies in my opinion. Without those type of criteria, it's pretty difficult for me to justify putting any current goalie in the NHL in the same level as the Roys, Brodeurs, Haseks etc. I just don't see any objective way of putting any of the current goalies on the same level as the goalies of the past. Yeah I know I have really strict standards

So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?


Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
  #25
kovalev47
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
So because Luongo's teams generate no offense, he is a worse goalie than if they did? What do you want him to go out and score goals too? Being a good goalie means stopping the puck and making dominant saves -- things he does. Just because the rest of the team sucks doesn't mean he is only "good" compared to other goalies

Do you even play hockey? If you had a great goalie would you say he'd be better if your line scored enough to win that game? What are you smoking? And how many people have a "multitude" of Conn Smythe wins?

By your definition of needing awards to be considered "great", I guess you could say Crosby is not great yet because well he only got to the finals and didn't win the Cup. Oh Ovechkin's not great he only made the playoffs once

EDIT: and even though you completely ignore it, he does fit some of your bogus criteria...
"My reasoning is that he doesn't dominate the current NHL goalies in save percentage"
well how many goalies get .931sv% while playing 73 games for a team that doesn't make the playoffs?
Sorry but Luongo is nowhere close to Roy, Brodeur or Hasek status. If he had the teams that the three goalies had, where is the guarantee he would win anything? There is no guarantee he could win on the teams that Brodeur and Hasek were on. I doubt Luongo could handle the pressure in Montreal like Roy did.

You actually think Crosby and Ovechkin can be put in the same category as Gretzky and Lemieux? They would not be considered great compared to players such as those. Maybe in 20 years they will be, but at the moment they aren't.

Luongo did that only 1 season. One season doesn't describe a career. I'm interested to know what the other goaltenders save percentages were that season. Also around 2001 or so is where teams started playing a lot better defensively so goalies' stats improved. Another user on this forum had mentioned this before.

You actually are going to argue that Roy did not deserve his Conn Smyths?
Stanley Cups and Conn Smyths are not just any "award."

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.