Flames Training Camp Schedule and Roster: News and Notes

Old
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Flames Training Camp Schedule and Roster: News and Notes

Quote:
The first on-ice sessions are scheduled for Saturday, September 20th with Group A starting at 9:00 am and Group B hitting the ice at 12:00 pm.

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ng_Camp_Roster

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Hyde

Iggy, Connie and Bertuzzi interviews after Medicals today:

http://flames.nhl.tv/team/console.js...=fvod&id=20876

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:38 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Anyone going to watch training camp? Thinking about maybe driving down on Sunday to catch the day.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Anyone going to watch training camp? Thinking about maybe driving down on Sunday to catch the day.
I was thinking of going, the only thing holding me back is eveyone I'd go with is working this weekend.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Hyde

MOD EDIT: I've updated the Title please for all news regarding Flames training camp post in this thread.

Thank you.

Old
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Hyde

Kipper has returned to town and has addressed the media:

Quote:
Calgary's publicity-shy netminder addresses the media today after completing his fitness testing. He talks about Mike Keenan and shows a glimmer of his seldom-seen sense of humour.
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...k-in-town.aspx

There is a YouTube video of the interview in the link provided.

Old
09-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Hyde

More Articles:

Some Areas to keep an eye on in camp:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=382373

A new start for Roy

Quote:
"When my agent told me about the Flames, I thought it would be a great fit," Roy said. "They play with a gritty style which fits me perfectly so I was glad to come down here."

Last season, Roy totalled 108 PIMs in 63 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning. He also added three goals and four assists.
http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=382383

Old
09-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Noori

vCash: 100
Really hoping Roy doesn't see as much time as Godard did last year. That was the problem with Godard last year, he started thinking he was something more than a fighter and he started believing in himself, not the best way to think when you're a tough guy in the NHL.

The Calgary Flames can more than handle themselves in the physical and fighting departments. The only games Roy should play are those against Minnesota and a few others so what Boogard did to Smith doesn't happen again this year.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Sticking around Turku longer this summer, Kiprusoff also added a little more aerobic activity to his routine.

"I was running a little more than usual. I feel pretty good right now," Kiprusoff said after the fitness testing. "I feel real good right now. I don't know the scores, the test scores, right now, but hopefully those are good, too."

Quote:
Flames GM Darryl Sutter isn't too concerned with the speculation at the end of last season and over the summer.

"He had 39 wins. I don't get too caught up in what people outside say," said Sutter.

"All he needs is a better start than he's had the last two years, and when you have that many wins, that's what's important."

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...23546-sun.html

Old
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Hyde

Day 1: Round Up
Quote:
Saturday, Bertuzzi was worth studying — if only to be reintroduced to the hulking winger's skills, kind of hazy since his Canucks heyday.

Those little drop passes. The in-tight deking, with net-roof finishes. The searing wristshot. The scything two-handers (Rich Preston's pad-less shin being the unfortunate and inadvertent target on this day).

As they say, great hands for a big man. Whether that translates into 20 points or 50 points or 80 points, who knows?
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...s/default.aspx

Flames - Iginla, Langkow, Bertuzzi - YouTube Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3tGESG_8Q

Last edited by Hyde: 09-20-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old
09-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Melanson33

Send a message via ICQ to Melanson33
How did the Lines of Group B look ,like yesterday?

Melanson33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Training camp notebook 21.09.09

Quote:
Early in camp Giordano is paired with Dion Phaneuf, the Flames top producer on the back end last seson and his off-ice buddy.

"It's good, obviously, to get a chance early in camp like this," said Giordano. "We talk a lot out there and we are not afraid to tell each other where we are. We have lots of communication. It's nice to play with a good friend."

Quote:
THE ENERGY FACTOR

"This is definitely the biggest hockey year of my life. I have to make the best of it," said Prust, who, after recovering from surgery on his hip last August, spent the season toiling in the American Hockey League with the Flames top affiliate in Quad City where he racked up 248 penalty minutes, 10 goals and 37 points.

"It meant a lot that they had the trust and the faith in me. They are letting me know that they are going to give me an opportunity," said Prust of the two-year contract.

"I'm not going to change my game. That's the way I play. If the physical stuff needs to be taken care of, I'll be there. I am going to try and make sure I am good offensively and defensively out there," said the former London Knight.

Quote:
LOMBARDI LOOKING SHARP

Matthew Lombardi, who will be given every chance to become the No. 2 centre on the Flames this season, was flying in practice Sunday. He is slightly leaner than in previous seasons, which can only help his speed, already a strong asset.

"He's had some good years but I think he is ready for a breakout season. He looks awesome," said Flames captain Jarome Iginla.

Quote:
MAKING THE JUMP

Adam Cracknell wants to make the jump.

After playing in the East Coast Hockey League last season -- and going to the league championship -- he feels it's time to move upwards. That would mean leaving the lights of Las Vegas behind and moving to Quad City to join the Flames top affiliate in the American Hockey League.

"I have to show them I can be seen out there and be one of the top guys," said Cracknell, 23. "I want to bring my physical game and make room for myself out there."

Quote:
NOTEWORTHY: The big hit Sunday was delivered by Flames d-man Rhett Warrener who corked Kris Chucko with an open ice hit... G Miikka Kiprusoff did not practice on Sunday because of flu-like symptoms... G Kevin Lalande is still on crutches after suffering a high ankle sprain during the prospects camp which preceded main camp... For the second straight day Jarome Iginla, Daymond Langkow and Todd Bertuzzi skated on a line... Rookie Mikael Backlund skated on a line with newcomers Rene Bourque and Mike Cammalleri.

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=382814

Old
09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

As per Boomer's blog:

Quote:
A few observations through 2 days of Flames main training camp:

- based on only a couple of practice sessions, I’ve been pretty impressed with Rene Bourque. I didn’t have much in the way of an opinion on him as a player, and so fare I’ve liked his size, speed and skill.

- Mike Cammalleri is not only a terrific player, but a great guy. He was hanging out outside the dressing room sharing stories about life in Los Angeles. He said he wasn’t a big night life kind of guy, more into the dining scene. He did hob nob a bit with some celebrities though. He said of hanging out with Kid Rock,” he’s just a rock star. He comes in wearing a sweat suit with no shirt on underneath and gold chains around his neck. If I did that I’d look like a total ‘chach’, but he pulls it off. He’s a rock star.”

- Rhett Warrener isn’t going to go quietly. No one has been more physicall than #44. He’s been down right nasty. He absolutely laid out Kris Chucko with a hit in the morning session Monday. Chucko was out on his feet and stumbled off to the dressing room.

- Phaneuf and Giordano look pretty natural as a pairing once again.

- Bertuzzi, Langkow and Iginla likely won’t see too much playing time this preseason, but I look forward to it. Bertuzzi is regarded mainly as a power forward, but there is no shortage of skill there.

- Matthew Lombardi hasn’t gotten any slower over the summer. His explosive speed was on display again, resulting in a couple of pretty goals off the rush.
http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/b...going-camping/

As per Rob Kerr's blog:

Quote:
Day 3 Main Camp

What a day 2 for Rhett Warrener, he beat the crap out of anybody who came with 5 feet of him. I blogged yesterday about his abuse of Kris Chucko, but that intense play was consistent through out the 2nd group yesterday. After the practice I interviewed Craig Conroy who showed me a Warrener induced welt on his back. Say what you will about Rhett’s situation when it comes to the salary cap he is not going quietly into the night.

Really quietly David Van der Gulik has fit in very well with Conroy and Glencross through 3 days of camp. I hope that they play a couple of games together in the pre-season, as the old saying goes practice is one thing prove to me you can do it under fire. David is a guy though that coaches talk about as doing the little things very well, not flashy but a solid pro.
http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/r...y-3-main-camp/

Old
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
AndersEriksson*

I LOVE RHETT WARRENER!!

To even consider dumping him is ridiculous.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Ticonderoga

I must say that is good news regarding Rhett!

Lets hope he can stay healthy this year as I have always loved his determination.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I do like Warrener and it is nice to see him playing well in camp, but his heart and drive has never been questioned. Definetly not surprising to see him playing well in camp. The fact that he is injury prone and carries a pretty hefty salary though may cost him a spot. As much as I love the guy he just can't stay healthy.

Nice to see Van der Gulik getting some props from Kerr. Was a guy I always considered a sleeper and I hope he gets some preseason games.

Old
09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Updated on Rob Kerr's blog:

Quote:
The Flames won't release the official fitness testing results but they did give us the top finishers. No surprise that the Captain was number one when it comes to the vets with Lombardi a close second. As far as the rookies go Matt Pelech was number 1 with Brett Sutter right behind him. The word around the Dome is that Coach Keenan demanded more attention to fitness this off season and strength and conditioning Coach Rich Hesketh delivered that to the players.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/r...y-3-main-camp/

Old
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Hyde

Training Camp thoughts over the last three days is just one of the topics on CP Radio tonight at 8 pm (MTN) to tune in just click the link below:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/calgarypuck-radio

Old
09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
FLAMESTR

Let me apoloize for horrible writing but my heart was in the right place

TRAINING CAMP REPORT

We went to all of the Group A Session. I did miss half of group B, we left around 2 pm. So in all fairness, my Group B impression might not be as good. I am just writing on the players who made the best showing in the practice to me.

Rhett Warrener

Rhett looks in better condition this year. He played very well this afternoon. He still lacks a little in speed, but his speed has really improved. Rhett must have really worked hard over the summer. The key for Rhett this season is to stay healthy.

Curtis Glencross

Curtis played very well. I did not realize he was so fast. Glen showed something to myself with his hard shot. He placed some very good shots; I really like his speed and he looked really good with Conroy.

Craig Conroy

Craig looks very good today. He played with a lot of heart. He and Glencross were excellent together today. Craig has not slowed down this season. His speed is his greatest asset. He made some nice passes to his linemates.

Todd Bertuzzzi

I figured a lot of people would be wondering how he looked today. He showed a lot of rust at times. He is trying to fit with Iggy and Langkow, but it is really not fair to compare him to those two. It may take a bit to find his niche with Langkow and Iggy, but once he does, I really feel he will do fine. Todd did make the pass of the practice, a behind-the-back no-look right on the stick.

Group A was fun to watch. Iggy and Langkow were very good. Langkow made quite a few nice passes to Iggy. Like I said, Conroy and Glencross were very good together, and played very well.

I missed most of Group B, having to take my son home sick. The part I did see kind of surprised me with the line combos for the first two lines.

Cammalleri Backlund Bourque

The line combo made me think that maybe there trying to test if Backlund is ready to make in the big leagues.

Mikael Backlund

I felt cheated because I did not get to see him enough. But in the first half, I thought he was very good today, he made a couple of nice shots. He fit in very nicely with Cammy and Borque.

Mike Camalleri

I thought he was very good today. He was a little rusty and made a few really good shots. I thought he was very good with puck, and of course I love his speed.

Wayne Primeau

I really liked Wayne in the first half of the practice. I thought he was great. I love his speed. He is very fast for a big man. He also made a few good passes and got one really nice goal that made the crowd buzz for a bit.

Robyn Regehr

Robyn was, well, his complete self. Robyn does not look like he quit playing over the summer. Regehr is our most stable defensemen, and looked like it today.

Dan Ryder

I really kept an eye on him during the practice while I was there. He was very good today. I wish they would have put him with better linemates to see him show off his talent more. Ryder was with Trembley and Seitsonen.

One thing with group B today was that the Moss Boyd and Lombardi line had their problems. It seemed they were out of sync with each other. Maybe it is because they did not play on the same line together.

Hey if there is anyone you want to know about send me an pm or email at thefanblogger@gmail.com.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:48 AM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Definetly not a surprise to see Iggy once again the fittest flame. Very encouraging to see Lombardi 2nd in the fitness testing.

Old
09-23-2008, 12:55 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESTR View Post
Curtis Glencross

Curtis played very well. I did not realize he was so fast. Glen showed something to myself with his hard shot. He placed some very good shots; I really like his speed and he looked really good with Conroy.

Craig Conroy

Craig looks very good today. He played with a lot of heart. He and Glencross were excellent together today. Craig has not slowed down this season. His speed is his greatest asset. He made some nice passes to his linemates.

I've come to realize how fast Glencross is from last season, which unfortunately was on breakaways as he scored on the Flames. I will love seeing that this year, though, being how he will be doing so while skating in the opposite direction from Kiprusoff.

I've been hearing nothing but positive feedback regarding Conroy and Glencross and how they've played together in training camp. I'm anxious to see our revamped bottom 6.

Thanks for the heads up, FLAMESTR.

Old
09-23-2008, 02:32 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESTR View Post

Rhett Warrener

Rhett looks in better condition this year. He played very well this afternoon. He still lacks a little in speed, but his speed has really improved. Rhett must have really worked hard over the summer. The key for Rhett this season is to stay healthy.

Cammalleri Backlund Bourque

The line combo made me think that maybe there trying to test if Backlund is ready to make in the big leagues.

Mikael Backlund

I felt cheated because I did not get to see him enough. But in the first half, I thought he was very good today, he made a couple of nice shots. He fit in very nicely with Cammy and Borque.
Thanks for your thoughts
Two things though:

1. The equation that Warrener is out due to the cap seems to be the problem. Would there be a way to re-arrange his contract (Roman Turek style) to keep him with the team?

2. I fear the same when I saw that line was training together (that they are trying Backlund out with those two, seeing if there is any chemistry). I still believe rushing him will be a bad idea to his long term development, and by doing this he could be another Flames prospect who never realizes his potential in Calgary.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts
Two things though:

1. The equation that Warrener is out due to the cap seems to be the problem. Would there be a way to re-arrange his contract (Roman Turek style) to keep him with the team?

2. I fear the same when I saw that line was training together (that they are trying Backlund out with those two, seeing if there is any chemistry). I still believe rushing him will be a bad idea to his long term development, and by doing this he could be another Flames prospect who never realizes his potential in Calgary.
this much I can tell you is that Sutter has told the media that warrener and ERickson have been given a shot at spots. As far as I have been told nothing has changed.

Flamestr

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13 View Post

Unfortunitly no. Under the currrent cba teams can't restructure a players existing contract.It would make it way to easy for gms to stay under the salary cap.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:18 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Unfortunitly no. Under the currrent cba teams can't restructure a players existing contract.It would make it way to easy for gms to stay under the salary cap.
Fair enough, thanks for letting me know

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote