Flames Training Camp Schedule and Roster: News and Notes

Old
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
At 37, Conroy never gets old - Calgary Herald

Quote:
"Craig MacTavish told me once that adaptability is the key to longevity. I've done all kinds of jobs in this game over the years. In the minors, the AHL, I was a scorer. I go to St. Louis, I'm a checker. I come here, get put on a line with Jarome, and I'm a points guy again. And now I'm back to being a checker.

"I won't sulk.

"I'm not mad.

"I don't take it as a negative. I don't view it as a demotion. You can always find fulfilment in this game.

"If fulfilment in my role means going up against top guys, like say, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and holding them pointless, so be it. That's an important job, too. Besides, as you get older, the only real fulfillment is in winning. I want a Stanley Cup ring before I'm through. I remember how much fun we had in 2004 and how much better it could've been. I still haven't won the last game of the season. I look at our team and we have an incredible goaltender, a solid D and more depth up front.

"I want to score, don't get me wrong, and if I score in two or three games in a row maybe I will get some powerplay time or more chances in offensive situations. But if I go 10 games in a row without a point and our line is doing the job defensively and we've won all 10, then I've done my job and I'll be satisfied.''

Quote:
Conroy's fondness for this city, his loyalty to this organization, is genuine. Potsdam, N.Y., is his place of birth, but there's no doubting he took a "hometown" discount to remain a Flame.

"This is just ... a really good fit for me, and for my family. When I talked to Darryl (Sutter) and Mike (Keenan), I always wanted to stay.

"I consulted my family; I talked to my two girls. It's still ultimately my decision, but they're old enough now to have input. They're in school. They love it here. I've asked them to move before. We left Calgary once and realized how much we missed it.

"Why miss it again?''

And the pay drop?

"It's still VERY good money. You'll won't hear me complaining.''

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...248a14f095&p=1

There should be a Conroy article in the paper every morning. I love reading them.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
LOL there should be a lone section in the paper just for Connie.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
There should be a Conroy article in the paper every morning. I love reading them.
Have to agree, I love reading Conroy articles the guy just makes me smile.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Have to agree, I love reading Conroy articles the guy just makes me smile.
No kidding. Very lucky to have guys like Iggy and Conroy on this team.

Quote:
It's still VERY good money. You'll won't hear me complaining.''
Wow isn't that refreshing. Seriously love Conroy. Just an awesome guy to have here.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Lunatik*

I love Conroy... people seem to forget he could have very easily gotten at least $1.5 million if he had left... he is still solid defensively... he still skates pretty well... he is a great leader... and he still puts up respectable offensive numbers... he is an asset to any team... I can only hope Connie remains a Flame after his career is finished... he would be the perfect color guy for all Flames broadcasts

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Sutter: Get off Kipper's back

Quote:
Darryl Sutter has a message for Miikka Kiprusoff's critics: Get off my goalie's back.

To those who would question Kiprusoff's physical conditioning or training habits, the Calgary Flames general manager says: "He looks fantastic. I've already talked enough about the fitness testing, but (Kiprusoff's conditioning) is not an issue."

Quote:
Along with Kiprusoff, another Flames matter that is attracting a lot of attention at camp is the payroll. Calgary is approximately $900,000 over the limit and must trim the fat before opening night.

"We have so many options, it's not really tricky at all," said Sutter. "We have a number we're going to be at, it's simple. (Performance) at training camp will determine (what way the Flames will go to get under budget).

"(Around the NHL) there will 10 or 12 major-league salaries playing in the American League. That's something we haven't done, but we might graduate (to that level) now."
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...c-9bd6ba19d36c

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
No kidding. Very lucky to have guys like Iggy and Conroy on this team.

Wow isn't that refreshing. Seriously love Conroy. Just an awesome guy to have here.
He's a guy you can tell just loves to play hockey, its not about the money to him, He's always so excited to play with his buddies and for his teams and never have I heard him complain about lack of Ice time or being yelled at or taking dumb penalties. He's a guy who refreshingly feels fortunate to have the ability to play hockey at that level, with great people like Iginla.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote