HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are they really in shape?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Illadelph12

vCash: 500
Are they really in shape?

So I checked "On the Fly" today on the Flyers website and I noticed a little blog about a 2 mile run that the Flyers ran on Sept. 19.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Braydon Coburn won the run with a decent time of 11:08(for a professional athlete). Apparently 2nd place was a AHL player who ran an 11:49. So I guess we can assume the rest of the guys were a bit behind that time.
Ok, I understand running and skating are not the same thing, but these guys are professional athletes! You'd think that the Flyers would at least have most of their guys sub 6 min/mile for 2 miles! I guarantee you some of them were up at 7 and 8 min/miles.
Also check how jacked Carter looks in the picture up there. But I notice that he seems very winded. The season starts in 2 weeks, get it together.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:43 AM
mm6492

they are in great shape. Hockey is all about short sprints and fast recovery, not long 2 mile runs. If you have ever played hockey you will know this.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

sub 6 min. miles?
That's not as "easy" as it sounds.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
curtisinpa

I am sure they paced themselves, nobody was out there busting there ***** to get a good time in a 2 mile run. mm6492 is right, hockey is more about burst of energy & fast recovery than any long physical endurance

Old
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illadelph12 View Post
So I checked "On the Fly" today on the Flyers website and I noticed a little blog about a 2 mile run that the Flyers ran on Sept. 19.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Braydon Coburn won the run with a decent time of 11:08(for a professional athlete). Apparently 2nd place was a AHL player who ran an 11:49. So I guess we can assume the rest of the guys were a bit behind that time.
Ok, I understand running and skating are not the same thing, but these guys are professional athletes! You'd think that the Flyers would at least have most of their guys sub 6 min/mile for 2 miles! I guarantee you some of them were up at 7 and 8 min/miles.
Also check how jacked Carter looks in the picture up there. But I notice that he seems very winded. The season starts in 2 weeks, get it together.
Dude, you talking about People running a mile in 6 minutes, thats not easy unless you can sprint for 2 miles.

Even with a fast pace most young people take 7-8 minutes to run a mile. Even athletes set a decent pace. I don't want them straining themselves before the season even starts.

Hell, Coburn running 2 miles in 11:08 is excellent. Another reason why I love the guy.

Think about it, have you ever run on a treadmill? A 6 mph pace is a 10 minute mile and that is what most average people are capable of at best. A 10 mph pace is a 6 minute mile. Thats fast!!! Coburn kept a pace faster then that for 2 full miles. Impressive.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:

Can you tell what he had for breakfast from that pic too? I'm thinking blueberry pancakes, but I'm looking for your expert opinion.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Illadelph12

I'm sorry, but two miles is by no means a long run. Not only that, but it was a race! There is no way I would expect my whole team to be under 6 minute miles, but I would hope more than two on the whole team. I know that 10mph is fast for running, but 2 miles is nothing. I could almost do it now and I am out of shape.
I know hockey is about sprints, that is what shifts are for...but when I trained for crew we raced sprints and practiced longer distances.
The fact of the matter is that this race is nothing impressive at all, it seems ridiculous to post it. Oh, and by the looks of it, Carter had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The two mile run is a standard in the army. Even the hardcore drinkers like myself can run it in 15 minutes. 13 minutes generally gets a soldier a "perfect" score. The biggest jump seems to be between 14 and 13 minutes in terms of fitness. But anyone who is ripped should be able to run it pretty quickly... sprinting is one of the best ways to reduce one's two mile run time.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Illadelph12

One more thing, I never said running a 6 min/mile is easy, I would just expect more than two guys on a pro team to be able to accomplish this feat. They are getting paid millions of dollars to play hockey.
Also, hockey is about short bursts, but the playoffs are not, we might as well start getting ready early.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
mm6492

Quote:
I'm sorry, but two miles is by no means a long run. Not only that, but it was a race! There is no way I would expect my whole team to be under 6 minute miles, but I would hope more than two on the whole team. I know that 10mph is fast for running, but 2 miles is nothing. I could almost do it now and I am out of shape.
I know hockey is about sprints, that is what shifts are for...but when I trained for crew we raced sprints and practiced longer distances.
The fact of the matter is that this race is nothing impressive at all, it seems ridiculous to post it. Oh, and by the looks of it, Carter had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast
All of my freinds do crew, I do hokcey. I know how they work out. 5 mile runs at the river, long 6k's on the erg's. hockey in nothing like that. Hockey is short quick bursts, fast recovery and being able to survive a beating. Its about running 20 yards sprints, running hills, and haviong leg stregth. They can't be the size off track stars, they would get killed. Many people have said and willl contuinue to say, hockey takes the most conditioning of any sport.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
mm6492

Quote:
One more thing, I never said running a 6 min/mile is easy, I would just expect more than two guys on a pro team to be able to accomplish this feat. They are getting paid millions of dollars to play hockey.
Also, hockey is about short bursts, but the playoffs are not, we might as well start getting ready early.

what the heck does that mean?? we play a different way in the playoffs?? If you mean that they need endurance to make it through teh season, thats where recovery comes in. Eationg the right stuff, taking care of your body, icing it down, strectching and all of that stuff.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
**** even when I used to play lacrosse in high school and ran pretty much 7 miles a day in practice, I only ran the mile once in 6 minutes. Generally in my experience, most athletes are around 7 min or so.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:08 PM
CantSeeColors

Even the best guys on my very good HS XC team barely broke a 6 min pace in our 5k races. And that's after years of training to be a runner. Expecting that out of a hockey player is ludicrous.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Illadelph12

Kambo, you are not a pro athlete, or at least I don't think you are. These guys are professionals in their prime, they should be capable of extraordinary things. Their job is to be extraordinary physical specimens, they should put in work on their cardiovascular fitness every single day for the money that they are receiving.
I hope you guys are right about this because I don't want to see them start off slow.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Illadelph12

You are in high school, they are pro hockey players. Its different. Also, the jump from 2 to 3 miles is pretty significant.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Kambo, you are not a pro athlete, or at least I don't think you are. These guys are professionals in their prime, they should be capable of extraordinary things. Their job is to be extraordinary physical specimens, they should put in work on their cardiovascular fitness every single day for the money that they are receiving.
I hope you guys are right about this because I don't want to see them start off slow.
Yes, they're professional athletes...but they're not professional runners.

Elite world-class runners run the 2-mile in 8+ minutes and finish over 9 minutes. Look at people who run those distance races at those paces. How many of them are 200+ lbs? How many of them are stocky well built muscular guys?

Expecting hockey players of that build to run off low times in a distance race isn't really thinking through the realities here.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Yeah they're pro athletes and they get paid lots of money, but money isn't going to be able to make them run faster. Different sports have different conditioning, and I don't see why being able to run a mile in 6 min or under is going to make a difference. Sure that means they're fast long-distance runners, but that has nothing to do with sprints. Honestly, they can run a 60 min/ 2 mile run, but just as long as they keep winning, I'm not gonna say ****.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Illadelph12

Also, I am not comparing these guys to pro-runners. The guy who won the Philadelphia long distance run(13 miles) finished in 1:01:23. Thats almost 13 miles/hr!!! He beat Coburn's pace over a 13 mile course.
Again, I don't expect them to do that. That is crazy fast, but I still don't think it is a fantastic feat that a pro hockey player run a 6 min/mile for two miles.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
To answer your question, Yes they are in shape.

/thread

Old
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Kambo

Pro-runners are pro-athletes though, and that's the case you're making.

Old
Jester

Pro Runner v. Pro Hockey player.

You're expecting far too much. Pro Runner's aren't carrying upper body bulk...they've trained their running gate and learned specifically how to pace themselves to maximize times in distance runs.

Hockey players haven't.

Old
Illadelph12

Braydon Coburn is 220 lbs and he did it.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Jester

Coburn is also 6'5"...you know how much ground his stride is covering?

I would also hesitate to use any one individual as a determinant for the group. Do you honestly believe the entire team is out of shape? Do you realize how absurd that assumption is? Is it not far more reasonable that people who don't train to run 2-miles aren't going to run as fast as people that do?

Some of the team isn't in exemplary shape...the majority is.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Illadelph12

So are you saying a guy like Chara, because he is tall, is going to run fast?
I think that more are out of shape than are in top physical condition.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Your right they do, and they dont get paid to run. This is the most pointless topic ever. Would you be worried if a sprinter couldnt ice skate fast? So dont be worried when a hockey player isnt a great runner. Since your so into it, find the results of the race, for everyone. Im guessing there are a lot of people in that 12-14 minute range which is still very good. When you can find me a pro player aroudn the 18-20 minute mark then I'll be worried.

Closed Thread