HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RUMOR: WEEI rumoring Gonchar to Bruins rumor

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
st_roland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Exactly, the Boston owner couldn't even trade for A-rod.

What I suggest is the 110% crew, CKAC, WEEI, Leafs Lunch, Garrioch, Brooks, and anybody else who wants to join in, get together, have a brain storm, and produce the ALL TIME GREAT TRADE RUMOUR tomorrow.

That'd be enough to push me over the edge....I mean i'm already about to self-implode.

Trade rumors rock!!

Old
02-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
I for one won't wait for a link.

Great trade for Boston!

Old
02-25-2004, 01:03 AM
AEKaki

Is there any truth to this?

Old
02-25-2004, 01:42 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
I for one won't wait for a link.

Great trade for Boston!

Whats the trade?

Old
02-25-2004, 06:36 AM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Whats the trade?

You're reading this thread and yet you don't know what the trade is?

Old
02-25-2004, 06:43 AM
dunner97

bruins parting with bergeron?give me a break .they want stajan , or parise but not bergeron ......lol.aint gonna happen

Old
02-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
They reported on the fan590 in Toronto this morning that there are several teams in the hunt this time mentioning both Dallas and the Bruins. Speculation as someone has already mentioned included Samsonov being part of the Bruins package.

And for those link seekers:
Boston.com

Old
02-25-2004, 08:29 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac
You're reading this thread and yet you don't know what the trade is?

I'm asking what the exact trade is? Do you know? .....I didn't think so, so don't get an attitude, bud.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:32 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Anyone seriously think the Boston owner would pay Gonchar 6-7 mil in arbitration?
he won't get that. That will be his arbitration award but any team is going to offer him a maximum of 4 and walk away from arbitration. Doubtful whether any other team will pick it up. High risk though.

I am sure whoever signs Gonchar will already have him signed to a long term deal as part of the transaction.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Anyone seriously think the Boston owner would pay Gonchar 6-7 mil in arbitration?
I am not sure if you have been notified but there is a new CBA coming. IF there is a cap then arbitration will certainly change as well. You wont be able to use comparable salaries from previous non-cap years. Gonchar will not be a 6 million dollar player in a salary cap NHL.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I am not sure if you have been notified but there is a new CBA coming.
And the current one expires on September 15th, so the current free agent and arbitration structure will remain. So unless there is a lockout or strike before July 1, arbitration and free agency will continue as normal this offseason.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I am not sure if you have been notified but there is a new CBA coming. IF there is a cap then arbitration will certainly change as well. You wont be able to use comparable salaries from previous non-cap years. Gonchar will not be a 6 million dollar player in a salary cap NHL.
Gonchar can file for arbitration in the summer. His hearing will be in late July/early August and the award announced between August 1st and August 15th, per the norm. The CBA expires in September after the World Cup. Gonchar will have a new contract and a new salary before the CBA re-negotiations begin... that is, of course, unless the team that gives up a good part of its future assets signs him to a long-term deal before then, which is almost certainly going to happen.

Gonchar will not make it as far as arbitration. His arbitration rights will act as leverage and force his team to give him a pretty nice deal beforehand, over long term, eating into some of his UFA years.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-25-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old
02-25-2004, 09:18 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

ok so why would samsonov be of interest to washington of theyre trying to trade lang gonchar kolzig to shave payroll?

Old
02-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Gonchar can file for arbitration in the summer. His hearing will be in late July/early August and the award announced between August 1st and August 15th, per the norm. The CBA expires in September after the World Cup. Gonchar will have a new contract and a new salary before the CBA re-negotiations begin... that is, of course, unless the team that gives up a good part of its future assets signs him to a long-term deal before then, which is almost certainly going to happen.

Gonchar will not make it as far as arbitration. His arbitration rights will act as leverage and force his team to give him a pretty nice deal beforehand, over long term, eating into some of his UFA years.
True. It will be interesting to see what happens with arbitration this summer. Having the CBA end so late was a bad idea by the owners.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:26 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588

Can't the owners lock out at any time? When do teams report for training camp? I'm assuming the owners are gonna tell them to stay home, if no new agreement is in place. Why waste the $$ just becuase "officially" the CBA expires mid-Septmber. To me, this says the owners can lock out at any time, as long as negotiations are ongoing.

Check this out from a sports law website:

Lockouts

On the other hand, the owners have the ability to lockout the players, that is, to not allow the athletes to report to training camp. The lockout is the owners' primary economic weapon; it is the power to withhold employment. It is used as a means to economically coerce the players to either return to the bargaining table and/or rekindle their desire to continue good faith negotiations. Lockouts are legal as long as bargaining continues in good faith and the lockout occurs only after impasse.

http://www.cce-mcle.com/tests/ss6004.htm

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
02-25-2004, 09:26 AM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
ok so why would samsonov be of interest to washington of theyre trying to trade lang gonchar kolzig to shave payroll?

because he's cheap, young and talented

Old
02-25-2004, 09:30 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

3.65 million compensation is cheap?

that's more than what gonchar makes

Old
02-25-2004, 09:33 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

good article

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-lockout_x.htm

This talks about the implications of going into "contract season" with the new CBA looming. From this...it looks like the lockout can only happen after the CBA expires.

If the players were wise...they would strike before the playoffs....

Old
02-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

A lockout is only a legal option during negotiations, meaning that it is only possible when there is no labor agreement in place. The league and the union will be bound by all terms of the CBA, including the standard arbitration process, through the end of the World Cup. Arbitration operates as it always has, and Gonchar will have a contract, by hook or by crook, before labor armageddon begins in mid-September.

As mentioned above, the league made a mistake in agreeing in '95 to have the labor agreement expire so late in the year.

Of course, it will not come to that. In actuality, the leverage that Gonchar will have by virtue of his arbitration rights will ensure that the team that trades for him initiates contract talks early, possibly before the end of the season, but certainly before August. They will want him long-term, and will offer that term as an incentive to get Gonchar to shave the annual salary down to manageable levels. Gonchar will not accept a one-year offer at $5 million, but he might accept a four-year or five-year offer at $5 million per year. Security will be a powerful incentive for the team to offer a player. Besides, a team will not want Gonchar to reach UFA status too soon, not after giving up a hefty price to acquire him.

This is why only the wealthy teams are players in the Gonchar sweepstakes, why the Caps are trading him, and why Boston's entry has caught everyone off guard. They have the money to spend, although they usually abstain or spend unwisely.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:17 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
For you people that have been begging for a link, here it is.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=73653

Old
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Exactly, the Boston owner couldn't even trade for A-rod.
Am I the only person who's really confused by this line?

Old
02-25-2004, 10:23 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurbruin
Am I the only person who's really confused by this line?
I'm guessing he thinks the same guy who owns the Bruins is the same guy who owns the Red Sox. But Jacobs and Henry aren't the same person.

Silly Canadian!!!

Old
p.l.f.
mvp

i can see boston getting leetch

Old
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=73653&hubName=nhl

all i found

Old
02-25-2004, 10:41 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
I'm guessing he thinks the same guy who owns the Bruins is the same guy who owns the Red Sox. But Jacobs and Henry aren't the same person.

Silly Canadian!!!
It was a joke of course (playing on Boston owner instead of Bruins owner) - as a long time Bruins fan before the Senators were reborn, trust me I've cursed the Bruins owner for many years. Jacobs wouldn't even pay to have his kids meals supersized when out fine dining.

Closed Thread