HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lightning and the trade deadline

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Oceanic39*

vCash: 500
Lightning and the trade deadline

They will be buyers, or stand still.

According to both Tampa papers today:

Feaster staying in Tampa to be close to scouts for deadline
They want an impact forward
They will not give up a player off the current roster
No lateral moves - deal will have to be as "impacting" as the Sydor deal

Watch for Alex Polushin's name to be thrown around. There is potential signing problems with Alex as he wants a 1-way deal and Feaster won't give him a contract if he's not convinced he can crack the TB lineup.

Anton But is another name to consider as a throw-in.

TB has a 1st, 2nd, and 1 4th to deal with. They also have a conditional pick from losing prospal that should be a 2nd or 3rd.

I FULLY expected TB to take the same approach as last year: Keep the team together and no major additions.

I am very surprised at the level of consideration they're giving to getting an "impact forward."

Feaster doesn't usually talk unless there's something in the works.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 02-25-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old
02-24-2004, 11:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
They will be buyers, or stand still.

According to both Tampa papers today:

Feaster staying in Tampa to be close to scouts for deadline
They want an impact forward
They will not give up a player of the current roster
No lateral moves - deal will have to be as "impacting" as the Sydor deal

Watch for Alex Polushin's name to be thrown around. There is potential signing problems with Alex as he wants a 1-way deal and Feaster won't give him a contract if he's not convinced he can crack the TB lineup.

Anton But is another name to consider as a throw-in.

TB has a 1st, 2nd, and 2 4ths to deal with. They also have a conditional pick from losing prospal that should be a 2nd or 3rd.

I FULLY expected TB to take the same approach as last year: Keep the team together and no major additions.

I am very surprised at the level of consideration they're giving to getting an "impact forward."

Feaster doesn't usually talk unless there's something in the works.
Polushin and 2nd for Kovalev?

02-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Doesn't Polushin's first contract *have* to be two-way? I thought that's how it worked...

Old
02-24-2004, 11:29 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Polushin and 2nd for Kovalev?
looks like a nice deal for both teams to me...

Old
02-24-2004, 11:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Doesn't Polushin's first contract *have* to be two-way? I thought that's how it worked...
I'm not sure. The Rangers would not give Zidlicky a one way deal and that is why he would not sign with him and they why they traded him.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Oceanic39*

I don't believe so. Not if they're coming from Europe.

I got that info right from Feaster (via another HF-Lightning staff member), so there's some validity behind it.

As far as Kovalev...

I would say no, as he's hugely expensive and has some character issues... but one of the papers said that Feaster was in on the Bondra dealings.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm not sure. The Rangers would not give Zidlicky a one way deal and that is why he would not sign with him and they why they traded him.
Turns out that wasn't such a good idea.

Tampa Bay is going to make another move. They ARE contenders. They are building their team a lot like Ottawa, from within, and then filled out by trades and signings

Old
02-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
As far as Kovalev...

I would say no, as he's hugely expensive and has some character issues... but one of the papers said that Feaster was in on the Bondra dealings.
What do you mean he's hugely expensive?...The guy's a pending UFA and, at most, TB would be paying for 1 month of his salary......The "character issues" is bogus...He played his heart and guts out for the Pens...Gets to New York, does the same for a little while, then like almost every Ranger in the last 6 years catches a case of Rangeritis...The situation is so screwed up in NY, nobody wants to play, and there is no leadership, no direction, no disciplin and no coaching.....Like Leetch, you put Kovalev on a structured team with a good coach that also likes some offense here and there and you will get a star...Kovalev will help somebody big time....Being a Kovalev fan, I wouldn't mind seeing him in TB, a team I wouldn't mind seeing go places...The price is another issue....

Old
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:

TB has a 1st, 2nd, and 1 4th to deal with. They also have a conditional pick from losing prospal that should be a 2nd or 3rd.
They won't get a comp. pick for Prospal because he was type V or VI or whatever. Only 31 year old plus players garner comp. picks. 99% sure of this. Detriot fans...did you get a pick for Lapointe?

Old
02-24-2004, 06:25 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

By the way...sure Kovalev skills are a nice addition for any team, but I would think the Bolts would look for a more physical player. On the top 2 lines your skill players are Vinnie, St. Louis, Richards & Stillman vs. the most physical forward Modin. I realize Modin has skill and Vinnie will play tough, but in general you see my point I hope.

Define lateral move...would acquiring a forward that is a hybrid between Dingman (consistant hard work) and Roy (some skill and better fighter, but no brains) be a "lateral" move? It wouldn't be a BIG deal, but a potentially beneficial one. Is it worth messing with the chemistry?

Old
02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
Define lateral move...
Yeah, that's tough.

Obviously he's looking for a clear-cut upgrade. I think he means it's got to be a guy who will NO DOUBT bring more to the table than what we've got now (Clymer, Afanasenkov, Cibak, Dingman, Roy), and not a guy who COULD or SHOULD or who seems like he MIGHT. IMO a guy like you describe is probably not a "sure thing," though I guess it depends on the individual player.

To my recollection from today's papers, Feaster didn't exactly make it clear whether they were looking at a rental or not. Perhaps they're willing to go either way. If they want an "impact" player for the long term, I'm not sure Polushin is enough to fetch that. Again, depends on how you define "impact."

Old
02-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
What do you mean he's hugely expensive?...The guy's a pending UFA and, at most, TB would be paying for 1 month of his salary.
True, he could be an interesting pickup, I really like Kovalev and have a lot of faith that he will do well again. But, I don't know how much Feaster would really send for a rental, and it doesn't sound like that's the type of player he wants. I can dream though.

I thought I had read somewhere (but I think it was a Larry Brooks column) that Kovalev has a $6mil+ team option next year? That would be totally out of the question for Tampa, BUT I wonder what kind of price Kovy would get on the open market right now. Hmmmmm

Old
02-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Martin St.Louis is AWESOME.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:12 PM
DJ Spinoza

Character issues is the negative press in New York. Kovalev does not have a bad attitude, or at least never did in Pittsburgh. He actually could make a huge splash in Tampa Bay, but would they pay him? I don't know Tampa's financial situation, or what they are willing to add. No clue, really.

A deal sending Kovalev somewhere would make it a lot easier to pick a team to root for while I am waiting patiently for Ovechkin.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:03 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
What do you mean he's hugely expensive?...The guy's a pending UFA and, at most, TB would be paying for 1 month of his salary......
fine, then i'd offer a 3rd round draft pick for him for the rest of the season.. no use giving up good assets if he's going to walk and therefore be not hugely expensive

Old
02-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Character issues is the negative press in New York. Kovalev does not have a bad attitude, or at least never did in Pittsburgh. He actually could make a huge splash in Tampa Bay, but would they pay him? I don't know Tampa's financial situation, or what they are willing to add. No clue, really.
If he really does have a $6mil player option, I'd say there's NO way Tampa could pick that up. I read somewhere that the Rangers weren't planning to pick it up either, which is why I was wondering what people think his market value might be. Feaster might be able to pick up some salary, but no way could he pick up that option, not when St. Louis and Kubina (among others) are up for new contracts and he has to pick up Khabi's option for $6.5 mil. Due to the re-signing issues, I don't think Kovalev would be going to Tampa unless it's as a rental and the Rangers get a return in keeping with that.

Disclaimer: I really doubt he's on Tampa's radar anyway, I'm just kind of blabbing because I like Kovalev and he's a guy I'd love to see in a Bolts sweater just out of my own selfishness.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:23 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
If he really does have a $6mil player option, I'd say there's NO way Tampa could pick that up. I read somewhere that the Rangers weren't planning to pick it up either, which is why I was wondering what people think his market value might be. Feaster might be able to pick up some salary, but no way could he pick up that option, not when St. Louis and Kubina (among others) are up for new contracts and he has to pick up Khabi's option for $6.5 mil. Due to the re-signing issues, I don't think Kovalev would be going to Tampa unless it's as a rental and the Rangers get a return in keeping with that.

Disclaimer: I really doubt he's on Tampa's radar anyway, I'm just kind of blabbing because I like Kovalev and he's a guy I'd love to see in a Bolts sweater just out of my own selfishness.

While i think Kovalev would play great in Tampa and fit in well, i believe he's off to Detroit, Vancouver or Dallas

Old
02-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Bolthed

I don't think Kovy goes anywhere. But let's get back to the point of this thread - what options are out there for the Bolts? I was thinking of lower-line upgrades for awhile, but after those articles in the Tampa Bay newspapers, I'm considering that Feaster and Barber have eyes for a bigger impact forward.

How about Scott Mellanby (as a rental)? Could Mike Leclerc be available (Bolts would more likely keep a guy like that)? Would they even want Gratton or Sillinger for another tour of duty?

Old
02-25-2004, 02:03 AM
AEKaki

Polushin - Anshakov - Ovechkin would be nice for Pittsburgh...

Old
02-25-2004, 05:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Kovalev does NOT have an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos

Nedved is the player who has an option, and it's a team option for $5 million. Kovalev signed a one-year deal for $6.5 million last off-season. Any team getting Kovalev will have about a million left to pay on his salary. He has a perfect fit for a team looking for an impact top six forward because he is a big time PO performer.

Old
02-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
I don't think Kovy goes anywhere. But let's get back to the point of this thread - what options are out there for the Bolts? I was thinking of lower-line upgrades for awhile, but after those articles in the Tampa Bay newspapers, I'm considering that Feaster and Barber have eyes for a bigger impact forward.

How about Scott Mellanby (as a rental)? Could Mike Leclerc be available (Bolts would more likely keep a guy like that)? Would they even want Gratton or Sillinger for another tour of duty?
I would think Mellanby would be the type of guy that the team would be looking at. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Gratton back either because this team needs size and grit on the lower lines. Gratton is still young enough to be resigned and contribute to perhaps warranting giving up a prospect like Polushin, But... Additionally, the only two players we have over 200 lbs. on the 3rd and 4th lines are Dingman and Roy and Roy has spent all but 20 games up in the pressboxes.
I can't see trading for a marquee guy because Jay Feaster was just in the papers yesterday saying that the fans weren't buying enough tickets to make a trade of significance. Maybe just a sales ploy because when the Sydor deal happened the ownership said that if he had another deal which could improve the team, he could do it.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Oceanic39*

Lateral = I don't know. Papers said the word "lateral" and the words "it won't be a" and "move" around it. This, while saying they are targetting an impact forward. I'd interpret that as it will not be a role player, unless it's an expensive one like a Laracque. I'd interpret "impact" as a top-6 forward.

Re: Mellanby/Gratton/etc...

Both are decent options, IMO. Especially Mellanby. As for Gratton, I've been thinking of him in the past weeks to acquire to use as a checking center (not to break up the new Dirt Line), but more imporantly have for next year to take over as the #3 center when Andreychuk/Taylor are done. Now that Svitov's gone - and that job was his for the taking - there's a need there for a big checking center.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
I'm not sure what his salary is, but I'm sure it is alot cheaper than Kovalev's. Scotty though a former Panther, could provide some more leadership while taking a semi-regular role. What other options are out there?

Here are some names that come to mind (keep in mind I'm not sure of availability so don't shoot me)....

Chris Drury, Curtis Brown, Todd Marchant, Vladimir Orzagh, Dean MCammond, Rob Niedermayer, or maybe take a chance on Ben Savage?

Last edited by Erack82: 02-25-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old
02-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Oceanic39*

Thanks, Jay, for making me look good by going out a day later and trading for AHL depth.

Seriously, though, I doubt he even considers this in the realm of a typical deadline type deal.

TB's AHL defense corps consists of Pascal Trepanier, Gerard Dicaire (who's a frequent healthy scratch in Utah but has a bright future) and Jeremy Van Hoof - who's an ECHL regular and an AHL call-up. The guy they wanted to be ready this year, Andreas Holmqvist, is in Pensacola struggling to adjust to the NA game.

AHL defense depth was in need of help. Cullimore was knocked out of a game recently with a leg bruise. He was back the next game, but perhaps this was an alarm to Feaster that should injuries start to hit, they need some help.

Perhaps, also, Poile looked at TB's AHL dman depth, needed a roster spot for someone in Milwaukee, and initiated the deal.

Old
02-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
I would really like to see how Dicaire handles himself next season. IMO his numbers don't tell the whole story, He was a victom of Lightningittus at the begining of the season, meaning because he wasn't a Dallas property, they wern't playing him. A very fluid skater, solid solid passer, and good offensive instincts, he should at least double his offensive production. Not to mention he almost made the team out of camp.

Closed Thread