HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Pre-Season #1 - Sat 9/20/08; 7PM, MSG - NY Rangers @ Ottawa Senators **

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Whats up with the man-love on Korpedo. already slotted in on 3rd line and some 2nd's and he has yet to play a game this season, i understand players like Gomez, Naslund, and Zherdev, but Korpedo?

Old
09-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ive got my post game wrap on my site for anyone interested.
great read, you should replace dellapina

Old
09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

My assessment of Game #1

- Del Zotto - nice to see a young kid with a surprising amount of composure. Pretty deft in the offensive zone and to be honest didnt look too out of place out there after making quite a few nice plays.

- Potter - Would like to see more of him to get a better read. Struggled a little in the corners, but made a few Girardi like plays that impressed me. In the running for the 7th man, but again, i need to see more.

- Rissmiller - Didnt see a whole lot. Not very fast, patient with the puck. Made a few nice passes but he didnt look like a player the Rangers need.

- Voros - To the net he goes. Gotta love it. Hes a big guy and i think hell be valuable to the team once he finds the right line. Would love to see him on the PP in front Graves style. Loved that he stuck up for Cally right off the bat.

- Dubinsky - Hasnt skipped a beat. This kid is no joke. He definitely could be top 6, but i think the line with Callahan and Fritsche is going to be ferocious as hell.

- Vally - Didnt look sharp. Covers a lot of net, but hey, hes Vally, hes going to let one sneak through each game.

- Wiikman - Thought he showed a lot of poise despite the little work he faced. I actually think hes a better goalie than Vally, but he'll most likely be in Hartford.

- Moore - Didnt see enough. Worked hard, skated hard, but I just think there are too many players in front of him that offer more. Need to see more, but I think he'll be a mid-season call-up if necessary.

- Callahan - Played well. Looks like he means business this year and really wants to earn the spot he deserves on this team.

- Sjostrom - Had flashes of good play, but hes going to have to get more involved in the offensive zone to secure a spot.

- Prucha - Started off like a buzz saw, and going to the net as usual. Then he had that terrible giveaway at the blueline leading to the Spezza goal. Hes got to make himself a little more available in spots where Dawes and Drury can find him IMO. Dawes and Drury have a good connection right now and hes got to fit in better.

- Fahey - Not good enough for the NHL. Decent hands once hes over the blueline, but hes just not positionally sound enough to get the 7th spot. I thought Del Zotto showed more defensive posture than Fahey.

- Mara - Playing hard. He'll be in the bottom pair.

- Stall - Like the testing of the waters on the rush and pinching. I think hes going to add to his offense this year. Continued to use the stick well... Nothing outstanding tonight though.

- Rozsival - Oh Rozy. Bad giveaway, great play, bad giveaway, great play. Story of his career.

Drury and Dawes - Both played well. Skating well.

Byers - Throwing the body around big time, he really wants a spot. I wont think itll happen though. Need to see him get more touches next game, he wasnt in the thick of things offensively and didnt see to get into any open lanes.

Last but not least -

Orr - what can I say, he continues to impress. He seems to improve a little each summer. For me, hes a lock to make the team. Whether he plays every single night is up to Renney, but i believe he'll add a little more offense this year. Hes always around the net. He plays the puck hard, he digs out pucks and makes plays around the net. He makes the smart plays defensively and doesnt give the puck away. If he doesnt make the team, rest assured the Rangers have good depth on the 4th.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Whats up with the man-love on Korpedo. already slotted in on 3rd line and some 2nd's and he has yet to play a game this season, i understand players like Gomez, Naslund, and Zherdev, but Korpedo?
Because:

He is ridiculously fast.
He has skill.
He is versatile, i.e. can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES) and any forward position.
Two way player.
Better then Voros.
Better then Callahan.
Better then Orr.
Better then Rissmiller.
Better then Moore and Byers.

That's why.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
- Del Zotto - nice to see a young kid with a surprising amount of composure. Pretty deft in the offensive zone and to be honest didnt look too out of place out there after making quite a few nice plays.

- Potter - Would like to see more of him to get a better read. Struggled a little in the corners, but made a few Girardi like plays that impressed me. In the running for the 7th man, but again, i need to see more.

- Rissmiller - Didnt see a whole lot. Not very fast, patient with the puck. Made a few nice passes but he didnt look like a player the Rangers need.

- Voros - To the net he goes. Gotta love it. Hes a big guy and i think hell be valuable to the team once he finds the right line. Would love to see him on the PP in front Graves style. Loved that he stuck up for Cally right off the bat.

- Dubinsky - Hasnt skipped a beat. This kid is no joke. He definitely could be top 6, but i think the line with Callahan and Fritsche is going to be ferocious as hell.

- Vally - Didnt look sharp. Covers a lot of net, but hey, hes Vally, hes going to let one sneak through each game.

- Wiikman - Thought he showed a lot of poise despite the little work he faced. I actually think hes a better goalie than Vally, but he'll most likely be in Hartford.

- Moore - Didnt see enough. Worked hard, skated hard, but I just think there are too many players in front of him that offer more. Need to see more, but I think he'll be a mid-season call-up if necessary.

- Callahan - Played well. Looks like he means business this year and really wants to earn the spot he deserves on this team.

- Sjostrom - Had flashes of good play, but hes going to have to get more involved in the offensive zone to secure a spot.

- Prucha - Started off like a buzz saw, and going to the net as usual. Then he had that terrible giveaway at the blueline leading to the Spezza goal. Hes got to make himself a little more available in spots where Dawes and Drury can find him IMO. Dawes and Drury have a good connection right now and hes got to fit in better.

- Fahey - Not good enough for the NHL. Decent hands once hes over the blueline, but hes just not positionally sound enough to get the 7th spot. I thought Del Zotto showed more defensive posture than Fahey.

- Mara - Playing hard. He'll be in the bottom pair.

- Stall - Like the testing of the waters on the rush and pinching. I think hes going to add to his offense this year. Continued to use the stick well... Nothing outstanding tonight though.

- Rozsival - Oh Rozy. Bad giveaway, great play, bad giveaway, great play. Story of his career.

Drury and Dawes - Both played well. Skating well.

Byers - Throwing the body around big time, he really wants a spot. I wont think itll happen though. Need to see him get more touches next game, he wasnt in the thick of things offensively and didnt see to get into any open lanes.

Last but not least -

Orr - what can I say, he continues to impress. He seems to improve a little each summer. For me, hes a lock to make the team. Whether he plays every single night is up to Renney, but i believe he'll add a little more offense this year. Hes always around the net. He plays the puck hard, he digs out pucks and makes plays around the net. He makes the smart plays defensively and doesnt give the puck away. If he doesnt make the team, rest assured the Rangers have good depth on the 4th.
Orr is horrible.

Can't skate. Has no hands.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I dont want to go into who played well or who didn't because most of the people who have posted did a better job than I could lol. But I will say that this game today was enjoyable and I cant wait to see a full roster assembled!

Old
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Those bottom 2 lines are bad.

Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Naslund - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Prucha - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Fritsche - Betts - Sjostrom
Voros, Callahan

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara
Kondratiev

Lundqvist
Wiikman
They aren't going to release Vally because of one bad game and I don't think they would leave Hartford without a starting goalie so Wiikman could play 10-12 games (which is not a practice I agree with but I don't think the Rangers would do it). I hope Anisimov is ready but I'm going to wait until I see him before I give him a spot. If he is though, I agree that he is the best fit there. And I wouldn't be so quick to take Voros and Cally out, that might be the softest lineup I've ever seen. (Assuming Anisimov is ready,) I'd prefer to see those two in place of Sjo and Prucha (I am a fan of Prucha but he doesn't belong on the bottom 6 and he isn't worth keeping Dubie out of the top 6 imo) and have the bottom 6 look like:

Korpikoski-Anisimov-Fritsche (I understand your concern that Voros and Callahan aren't the most offensively inclined guys so I'll keep them on the fourth)
Voros-Betts-Callahan

I would keep Orr as an extra for when we need him and the other extra forward is Prucha for me as a top 6 insurance guy and also because we can't trade him for equal value and to lose him without that would be a waste.

However, all of this is on the condition that Anisimov is ready (which is TBD this week). If not, I'd stick with the first lines I had for the time being (going on Inferno's word that Korp can play center which I haven't seen [though I don't really pay attention to Hartford so it would have been easy for me to miss]).

Old
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Prucha - Started off like a buzz saw, and going to the net as usual. Then he had that terrible giveaway at the blueline leading to the Spezza goal. Hes got to make himself a little more available in spots where Dawes and Drury can find him IMO. Dawes and Drury have a good connection right now and hes got to fit in better.
that was rozy's giveaway, wasnt it?

Old
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
NYReign

HBNYC,

Just wanted to make a small correction. It was Rozsival's turnover that led to Spezza's goal, not Prucha's. However, Prucha made a very similar one to Vermette which Valiquette made the save on.

And I agree with you 100% on Orr. I'm still undecided about his spot in the lineup everyday but he definitely has a spot on this team and it is necessary that he be here because there's no adequate replacement. I am thrilled to see him working so hard on his skating because imo he had a roster spot, even if he showed no improvement there, solely for his toughness. His commitment to getting better has really impressed me, though, and I am glad he's on the team.

edit: ah well, Cherepanisimov beat me to it

Old
09-20-2008, 10:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
They aren't going to release Vally because of one bad game and I don't think they would leave Hartford without a starting goalie so Wiikman could play 10-12 games (which is not a practice I agree with but I don't think the Rangers would do it). I hope Anisimov is ready but I'm going to wait until I see him before I give him a spot. If he is though, I agree that he is the best fit there. And I wouldn't be so quick to take Voros and Cally out, that might be the softest lineup I've ever seen. (Assuming Anisimov is ready,) I'd prefer to see those two in place of Sjo and Prucha (I am a fan of Prucha but he doesn't belong on the bottom 6 and he isn't worth keeping Dubie out of the top 6 imo) and have the bottom 6 look like:

Korpikoski-Anisimov-Fritsche (I understand your concern that Voros and Callahan aren't the most offensively inclined guys so I'll keep them on the fourth)
Voros-Betts-Callahan

I would keep Orr as an extra for when we need him and the other extra forward is Prucha for me as a top 6 insurance guy and also because we can't trade him for equal value and to lose him without that would be a waste.

However, all of this is on the condition that Anisimov is ready (which is TBD this week). If not, I'd stick with the first lines I had for the time being (going on Inferno's word that Korp can play center which I haven't seen [though I don't really pay attention to Hartford so it would have been easy for me to miss]).
Those are much better.

As long as you are maximizing the offense, without sacrificing the defense.

If Prucha doesn't make it, it would be a waste of talent, IMO.

Anisimov's skill set is needed. Dubisnky absolutely needs to be in the top 6 and someone needs to replace him in the bottom 6. If he is not ready, then something needs to be done. Korpikoski and Fritsche are versatile and can play both C and both wings.

I am really down on Orr. I think he is horrible. When i look at him, i think of beer league players. He can't skate. And he has no hands at all. He is just flat out a horrible NHL player. Bad bad bad. People say he improved and he is STILL horrible.

Rissmiller is also really bad.

Sjostrom is another player that is very useful. He adds speed and skill to the 4th line. And he can make the PK potentially dangerous.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Jimmy Collins

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy Collins
Quote:
Because:

He is ridiculously fast.
He has skill.
He is versatile, i.e. can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES) and any forward position.
Two way player.
Better then Voros.
Better then Callahan.

Better then Orr.
Better then Rissmiller.

That's why.
nope. hes played one game his entire career, you guys really need to chill with this guy. im sure he'll be good, but better than these guys? no.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Am i the only one that thought Sjostrom played below-average?

Old
09-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Because:

He is ridiculously fast.
He has skill.
Two way player.
Better then Voros.
Better then Callahan.
Better then Orr.
Better then Rissmiller.

That's why.
thats really saying much. and i think your jumping the gun a bit much, no? Callahan is already proven to be a good 3rd liner I'd rather let Korpedo get better in the AHL and groom him in the 2nd line role.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Collins View Post
nope. hes played one game his entire career, you guys really need to chill with this guy. im sure he'll be good, but better than these guys? no.
Those guys listed have proven nothing.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
thats really saying much. and i think your jumping the gun a bit much, no? Callahan is already proven to be a good 3rd liner I'd rather let Korpedo get better in the AHL and groom him in the 2nd line role.
Callahan has proven that he has very limited scoring ability.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
He had a few flashes, but youre right.

Hes got to do more out there especially in the offensive zone. His speed through the neutral zone is great, but he doesnt finish plays or get creative enough in the zone to set up anything. Hes going to have to step it up IMO if he wants to beat out a few guys, including Korpikoski.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
HBNYC,

Just wanted to make a small correction. It was Rozsival's turnover that led to Spezza's goal, not Prucha's. However, Prucha made a very similar one to Vermette which Valiquette made the save on.

And I agree with you 100% on Orr. I'm still undecided about his spot in the lineup everyday but he definitely has a spot on this team and it is necessary that he be here because there's no adequate replacement. I am thrilled to see him working so hard on his skating because imo he had a roster spot, even if he showed no improvement there, solely for his toughness. His commitment to getting better has really impressed me, though, and I am glad he's on the team.

edit: ah well, Cherepanisimov beat me to it
Oh ok, it was Rozy's my mistake. But Pruchas giveaway was still a bad one.

About Orr.. we are on the same page.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Callahan has proven that he has very limited scoring ability.
because he has played a full season already right? terrible analyst on the subject. Callahan is good at what he is supposed to do, Forecheck.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
He had a few flashes, but youre right.

Hes got to do more out there especially in the offensive zone. His speed through the neutral zone is great, but he doesnt finish plays or get creative enough in the zone to set up anything. Hes going to have to step it up IMO if he wants to beat out a few guys, including Korpikoski.
Agreed. in the 2nd half he was invisible to me, even when i first saw him i was shocked i even forgot he was playing in the game

Old
09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
because he has played a full season already right? terrible analyst on the subject. Callahan is good at what he is supposed to do, Forecheck.
Callahan has limited scoring ability. Plain and simple.

Forechecking is fine.

When you forecheck hard and can't score, that is called a 4th line player. Not 3rd.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Forechecking is fine.

When you forecheck hard and can't score, that is called a 4th line player. Not 3rd.
Ill give him a full season to see how he plays. After it, then i may or may not agree with you. But as for now i'd rather have Cally over Korpedo in the 3rd line spot, and i think Renney does too.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:51 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
nope. I agree he looked like a player losing a spot on the team.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
great read, you should replace dellapina
hehe, if they were even remotely interested, id drop everything today and go and do it. that would be a dream job.

Old
09-20-2008, 10:54 PM
MuffinMan*

Sens fan here, just got back from the game. Dubinsky looked awesome, always playing hard and I was surprised by his skill. Some of you may disagree, but I thought Fahey was fantastic. I didn't even know who he was until tonight, but he will be a very, very good Dman. Cheers!

Old
09-20-2008, 10:55 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:

Forechecking is fine.

the guy can and will score....hes shown he can score at every level of his career....and he'll score at the nhl level too.....15 to 25 goals every yr ...and thats a very good 3rd liner

Closed Thread