HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD David Musil (2011, 31st overall, Edmonton)

Old
09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
LD David Musil (2011, 31st overall, Edmonton)

Came across this quote in a Jim Matheson article for the Edmonton Journal about Frank Musil's son David and thought it would be interesting to pass along

Quote:
Frank Musil's 15-year-old son David, who grew up in Edmonton, is playing in the Czech Elite League for Dukla Jihlava. The six-foot-five blue-liner isn't eligible for the Canadian Hockey League's European draft for two years.

"He's just graduated Grade 9," said Musil.

David, the youngest player in the Czech League, played here with Kevin Lowe's son, Keegan, and Craig Simpson's son, Dillon.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...bbeee7bffa&p=2

Blue Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Mirinho

he will be czech version of Victor Hedman

David (190cm/6'3'' and 84kg/186lbs) is really excellent talent from hockey family - his father is former NHL player František Musil and his grandfather is one of the best czech hockey players from 60's and 70's Jaroslav Holík

here is some short video from his 1st match

Last edited by Mirinho: 09-20-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
JFA87-66-99

I've been hearing about David Musil for a while now. How does he stack up against Victor Hedman and Adam Larsson right now? From what I've been hearing is that he's the best D-men to come from the Czech in quite some time, and looks to have Franchise D-man Potential.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
I've been hearing about David Musil for a while now. How does he stack up against Victor Hedman and Adam Larsson right now? From what I've been hearing is that he's the best D-men to come from the Czech in quite some time, and looks to have Franchise D-man Potential.
That's not a huuuge feat

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:21 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
That's not a huuuge feat
Well it's still saying something.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
That's not a huuuge feat
Are you suggesting the Czechs have a bunch of plugs on the blueline?

Tomas Kaberle, Frantisek Kaberle, Roman Hamrlik, Marek Zidlicky, Filip Kuba, Pavel Kubina suggest otherwise.

If you take Lidstrom off Sweden, it's a better group of defenceman, IMO, than Sweden has. It's also equal to, or better than the group Finland could put up.

Hedman is the best Swedish defenceman to come along since Lidstrom, whose NHL career started in 1991. The Czechs don't have anyone to compare to Lidstrom like the Swedes do, I agree, but to say Musil could be their best d-man in a long time puts him in select company.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:59 AM
rye&ginger

Musil had a hat trick last night vs the Kamloops Blazers. He likes to shoot wrist shots from the point. His puck skills are very good considering his size. I was at the game and he was the best player on either team.
Posted via Mobile Device

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Musil had a hat trick last night vs the Kamloops Blazers. He likes to shoot wrist shots from the point. His puck skills are very good considering his size. I was at the game and he was the best player on either team.
Posted via Mobile Device
boy am i glad the giants got him I have been following him for a few years now and now he gets to play in the city I live.

so far so good for him, especially considering he has been playing on a biger ice surface for several years now in Czech republic.

Should add that he leads the team in plus minus at +4...the next guy is at +2. Not bad for a 16 year old dman.

Last edited by 0123456789*: 10-04-2009 at 05:06 PM.
0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Are you suggesting the Czechs have a bunch of plugs on the blueline?

Tomas Kaberle, Frantisek Kaberle, Roman Hamrlik, Marek Zidlicky, Filip Kuba, Pavel Kubina suggest otherwise.

Not for anything within a reasonable definition of "for quite some time" they don't - Tomas Kaberle is the young buck among them, at age 31 and drafted in 1996.

There's always Zbynek Michalek, but that's about it as far as really good Czech defensemen over the past decade or so is concerned.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Bump.

When is he draft eligible? This summer or 2011.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Bump.

in 2011

He turns 17 April 4th.

I watch him play all the time and im incredibly impressed.

He leads the Giants with a +22. The next closest player is a +10, then two at +9, then +5, then +3, then two at +1 and the rest are minus players. While he does this he shuts down the top opposition lines, plays huge minuits(by my observation the most minuits on the team now), and is still the third highest scoring dman on the team(with hardly any pp time). Always on the opening line up and put on the ice in key situations.
IMO he skill set is very impressive and transferable to the NHL, he is progressing well and looks like a top 5 pick, imo top 2.

43 games - 4 goals - 11 assists - 15 points - +22 - 32pim

Old
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
wings5

Quote:
Bump.

His birthday is April 9th, 1993 so that makes him eligible for the 2011 draft. He is very highly ranked and should go in the top 10. Not to be rude or anything but couldn't you have checked yourself?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:09 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
His birthday is April 9th, 1993 so that makes him eligible for the 2011 draft. He is very highly ranked and should go in the top 10. Not to be rude or anything but couldn't you have checked yourself?
Yeah, but i thought i would just bump this to get some conversation about him going.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Yeah, but i thought i would just bump this to get some conversation about him going.
Skating B- : Good for a big kid but can use improvement. His excellent positioning means he rarely needs to use his skating abilities to the max to get back in to position.

Wrist shot B+ : His wrist shot is actually pretty good but hasnt got in to a position to use it much as he takes his defensive responsibilities very seriously and doesnt get much pp time.

Slap Shot C- : His slap shot needs work but that will come and is one of the easier things to learn.

Release C : His release needs work but its by no means a weakness. I think as his PP responsibilities come and he gets to use it more then he will gain more confidence and get better.

Positioning A+ : Nothing to complain about, always in position, not allot of players as good as him in the WHL.

Strength A : Very strong and doesnt get knocked down much, big kid and uses his size. Is hitting more and more.

Hockey IQ A+ : Excellent, kinda ties in to positioning.

Passing A : Extremely good passer, good vision, finds the open guys.

Just a quick summary by me.

Old
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Didn't really notice him in last nights game, mind you I didn't notice too many positive things out of any of the Giants, so maybe they just had a bad game.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Avery4Byng*

Heard the hype but havent been impressed with his play in the couple of times i have seen him play.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Vector

In the one game I saw him I was impressed considering his age. Was paired with Connauton on the top pairing. Made some mistakes and at times looked lost but overall was solid.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
in 2011

He turns 17 April 4th.

I watch him play all the time and im incredibly impressed.

He leads the Giants with a +22. The next closest player is a +10, then two at +9, then +5, then +3, then two at +1 and the rest are minus players. While he does this he shuts down the top opposition lines, plays huge minuits(by my observation the most minuits on the team now), and is still the third highest scoring dman on the team(with hardly any pp time). Always on the opening line up and put on the ice in key situations.
IMO he skill set is very impressive and transferable to the NHL, he is progressing well and looks like a top 5 pick, imo top 2.

43 games - 4 goals - 11 assists - 15 points - +22 - 32pim
I'm really curious to see how he does next year when more offensive and PP time opens up. He's clearly the early front runner for 2011's best defensive d-man. But, if he's able to take to an offensive role next year, he could be an elite prospect.

01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I'm really curious to see how he does next year when more offensive and PP time opens up. He's clearly the early front runner for 2011's best defensive d-man. But, if he's able to take to an offensive role next year, he could be an elite prospect.
He will do just fine imo. He has already shown his offensive play in Czech juniors and shows it at times this year when he is relied upon, or when he got that hat trick, but really in his position on the team right now he needs to be solid defensively, and that he is. He is by no means a defensive dman, he is 16 still, and he is doing what he needs to do, that is perfect his positional and defensive play, after he can work on scoring more(which he really is doing already). Also everyone needs to remember that he just came over from a larger ice surface, not the easiest thing to do for a dman and it takes a long time to adjust.

Compare him to.

Karl Alzner 5th overall
same age 66games - 0goals - 10assists - +8 (5th place on team)
one year before draft 70games - 4goals - 20assists - +14(5th place)

Luke Schenn 5th overall
same age
60games - 3goals - 8assists - +1(18th place)
one year before draft
72games - 2goals - 27assists - -10(25th place)

Jared Cowen 9th overall
same age one year before draft
66games - 4goals - 14assists - +27(tied 5th with 2 others)

Musil
one year before draft year
45games - 4goals -11assists - +19(first on team and the closest player is +7, not even close)

Tuebert, Myers etc. all worse.

So just for comparisons sake for those that dont get to watch him much. Or those who dont appreciate the more important and harder part of the game to learn for a dman, positioning and defensive play. Leading his team in +- where no one is even remotely close to him is beyond amazing, and its not like he isnt producing at his age. If he decided to jump in to the play more his +- would drop, but he would get more points, really the +- rating is more important for a dman then points when your discussing prospects. None of the players from the WHL listed(all the highest recent drafted dman) were close to doing what he is at the same age/pre draft season.
Keep in mind Musil is also biger now then all the players except Cowen and Myers, and when its all said and done he will be as big as Cowen(maybe even biger but likely not much)

Last edited by 0123456789*: 01-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
He will do just fine imo. He has already shown his offensive play in Czech juniors and shows it at times this year when he is relied upon, or when he got that hat trick, but really in his position on the team right now he needs to be solid defensively, and that he is. He is by no means a defensive dman, he is 16 still, and he is doing what he needs to do, that is perfect his positional and defensive play, after he can work on scoring more(which he really is doing already).
I know he's capable of taking the step up. But ability and action are very different things. Also, the degree to which he steps up is very relevant.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
0123456789*

I posted the same info in the 2011 thread today but though it would be good to throw in a post here also. Yes I am very excited about Musil as you can see. Probably better to keep discussion about him in this thread anyways.

David Musil 50games - 4goals - 15assists - 19points
+24, highest on the team, the closest player is almost 21 year old Toigo who is a +7.

*just had a quick look, his total +- lead on the team both in raw numbers and percentage wise is the largest lead in the entire WHL. and I didnt even see anyone really close. There is not one player in the WHL that is so far ahead in plus minus on their team. Now I think thats a accomplisment and I wonder who the last 16 year old dman did this. My hunch is that no one. And his offesive output is increasing, 6 helpers in the last 10 games and 19 points is pretty darn good for a 16 year old dman.

Here is a quote from a November 2009 article,
Quote:
Giants coach Don Hay likes to use one rearguard and two forwards when opponents are on a two-man power play, and Musil is generally the first blueliner he sends out.

The 6-foot-3, 191-pound son of former NHL rearguard Frank Musil is so active with his stick that you half wonder if it jumps around when he puts it down. Musil, who was born in Edmonton and played last year in the Czech Republic, is not a picturesque skater, yet his brain always leaves his one step ahead of opponents.

Old
01-26-2010, 03:52 AM
passive voice

Quote:
Very cool. Any idea whether he considers himself Czech or Canadian?

Edit: I see he's played for CZ internationally once. I guess that answers my question?

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post
Very cool. Any idea whether he considers himself Czech or Canadian?

Edit: I see he's played for CZ internationally once. I guess that answers my question?
He definately considers himself Czech but as someone who grew up in BC I have heard he has an English accent to his Czech.;

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Mcjlockhart89
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
David Musil

I'd like to know a little more about David Musil of the Vancouver Giants. I've only seen him play a couple of times and he seems like he has a fairly good skill set along with an already impressive frame.

For those who've seen him a little more can you tell me some of him strengths and weaknesses? Is it fair to say he'll likely be a safe bet to go top 5 next year?

He's a guy I think the Oilers need to target if they don't get a crack at Larsson or Nugent-Hopkins next year.

Mcjlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89 View Post
I'd like to know a little more about David Musil of the Vancouver Giants. I've only seen him play a couple of times and he seems like he has a fairly good skill set along with an already impressive frame.

For those who've seen him a little more can you tell me some of him strengths and weaknesses? Is it fair to say he'll likely be a safe bet to go top 5 next year?

He's a guy I think the Oilers need to target if they don't get a crack at Larsson or Nugent-Hopkins next year.
There is a thread about him on the second page.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=553341

mods please merge the two threads so the topic doesnt get fragmented.