HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers popularity in New York

Old
09-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Macke*

vCash: 500
Rangers popularity in New York

Granted The Yankees will always be king that is never changing..

Does it ever bother you where the Rangers stand in the city?

But do you think the Rangers could pass the Knicks?

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:56 PM
hlundqvist30*

Have they not already?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:58 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Have they not already?
Yea. No one talks about the Knicks anymore.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I personally think they have passed the Knicks or are close to doing so in the minds of the people. Radio/TV still put more time into the Knick's IMO. If/when they(the Rangers) make it to the finals I think you will see much more buzz about them. My 2 pennies

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post

Does it ever bother you where the Rangers stand in the city?

But do you think the Rangers could pass the Knicks?
Why do people out of state seem to think the Rangers are a ghost of NY?

Theres plenty of Rangers fans all over, and MSG does a great job of covering them. I dont really care that the newspaper does a crappy job, who reads a newspaper anyway? And by the way, the Rangers have long passed the Knicks.

09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
bumrusherer

Knicks are probably still above us but that doesnt mean that there isnt a good amount of Ranger fans in the town.
It just means that Basketball gets more shine.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
1994 solidified a lot of Ranger fans in the NY area. and the fanbase prior to 94 was very loyal and dedicated. i wonder how the fanbase is with the younger fans in NY. hopefully with the 3 years of playoffs and the knicks waning popularity, more fans are gravitating towards the Rangers...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Macke*

I don't think the Rangers are a "Ghost" but Basketball just always seems to get all the talk over hockey.

And I remember a thread here about a year back talking about this very same subject and the Knicks and basketball in NEw York being more popular.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
There was a thread with this same exact title just a few months ago, which I remembered from some strange reason.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=popularity

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Younger fans=NYR fans
Older fans=Knicks....groupies

I am 15 and a bunch of my friends watch the Rangers over the Knicks.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

No one watches the knicks because they suck. but if they ever do get better(when they get LeBron James) they will boom and they will be the most talked about. In NY it probably goes, Yanks, Giants, Mets, favre, Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, Red Bull, and Liberty.

Last edited by Burlington Bomb 26: 09-20-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
No one watches the knicks because they suck. but if they ever do get better(when they get LeBron James) they will boom and they will be the most talked about. In NY it probably goes, Yanks, Brett Favre, Mets, Giants(they've fallen due to Favre), Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, Red Bull, and Liberty.
The Giants are so far ahead of the Jets and mets it is not even funny. Even without Super Bowl XLII. The Knicks are also way ahead of the Rangers.

As for the Giants vs Rangers, right now it is the Yankees, however for a long time, the Giants were top dog in this city. All the sell-outs, the wait list for season tickets. The Giants could go 0-16 three years in a row and they still will not have a dent in the season ticket waiting list. The Yankees have past the Giants because of WFAN. Guys like mike and the mad dog do not know about any other sport so they talk baseball all year round. It trickled down to other hosts. Going to Yankee games has become a trendy thing to do, similar to going to Knicks games in the 90's. If the Yankees have 2 or 3 more years out of the play-offs, you will see how fair-weather their fans really are.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:27 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
That is not true.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
No one watches the knicks because they suck. but if they ever do get better(when they get LeBron James) they will boom and they will be the most talked about. In NY it probably goes, Yanks, Brett Favre, Mets, Giants(they've fallen due to Favre), Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, Red Bull, and Liberty.
you actually think brett farve gets more popularity than the defending super bowl champion giants, which had more popularity before that in the first place?

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
you actually think brett farve gets more popularity than the defending super bowl champion giants, which had more popularity before that in the first place?
Uhh, yeah. have you seen the papers lately. Of course the Giants are going to surpass them, but as or right now i believe they have more attention mainly because of Favre. Plus it was only an opinion, no reason to get bent over something worth nothing.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
mucker*

Some of you guys are way off.

Hockey overall in the US is the 3rd of 4th sport.
New York has 9 pro teams...4 in combined MLB/NFL.
There just isn't enough print space...yet the Rangers are one of the most popular NHL teams and NY is one of the best US hockey towns.
That said...WFAN does a good job with hockey outside of Mike Francessa.
Boomer/Joe and Evan/Somers all talk hockey,

Francessa barely talks football...he's baseball and horse racing.

New York has 3 pro area teams...the Rangers are quite popular...they sellout nightly..even when awful in the late 90s...and amateur hockey in the NY tri state region is quite strong.

Philly might give more press to the Flyers...but they are not a good baseball town...and have less teams.
Also...they don't have much in the way of youth hockey compared to New York.

Boston has better amateur leagues...but the Bruins are completely irrelevant.

Buffalo is a small two sport market with an NFL team that has not made the playoffs this decade (may change this year) and Detroit...well they are the best...but they had problems selling out playoff games...and again...how's there NFL team?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Uhh, yeah. have you seen the papers lately. Of course the Giants are going to surpass them, but as or right now i believe they have more attention mainly because of Favre. Plus it was only an opinion, no reason to get bent over something worth nothing.
The Mets get more press in the papers now than the Yankees...does that mean they have surpassed?
No.
The Jets have not surpassed the Giants...they simply are the bigger story...in NY and across the US.
Using newspapers as the sole barometer is really misguided.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:54 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
At least the Metrostars are ahead of the Liberty.

nyrmetros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Darkgriffer

Well you got the Giants Yankees Mets Bills Sabres Islanders Knicks and Rangers. And I Live In Albeny Ny, and devils were huge here when i was younger bc of the ahl team. It may not be that way anymore, but i am still a Devs fan. I did get to meet Mike R. at my grandfathers store in Lake Placid and he is way nice.

Darkgriffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
Some of you guys are way off.

Hockey overall in the US is the 3rd of 4th sport.
Actually according to one of the Sporting Goods Industry's trade magazines hockey is about 47th out of 50...It's sad.

I wish the Rangers success would get more press than the Knicks implosion, but that's NY media for you.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

I'd say that the Rangers have surpassed the Knicks in popularity (it would be interesting to see what happened if the Knicks were actually good though).I'd argue that they have even surpassed the Jets (well maybe it's different now with Favre).

Here's how I think it is

1) Yankees
2) Mets - NYC is truly a baseball town although the Giants could very well be here.
3) Giants - Maybe if I wasn't a biased Mets fan then they'd be number two
4) Rangers
5) Jets
6) Knicks
7) Islanders

I must be weird though. The Mets are the only team I actually like from New York and I've been living there all of my life.

Last edited by ChicoEats: 09-20-2008 at 10:57 PM.
ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
At least the Metrostars are ahead of the Liberty.
lol are you sure? If that were true you would know that they changed their team name a couple years ago!

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
I'd say that the Rangers have surpassed the Knicks in popularity (it would be interesting to see what happened if the Knicks were actually good though).I'd argue that they have even surpassed the Jets (well maybe it's different know with Favre).

Here's how I think it is

1) Yankees
2) Mets - NYC is truly a baseball town although the Giants could very well be here.
3) Giants - Maybe if I wasn't a biased Mets fan then they'd be number two
4) Rangers
5) Jets
6) Knicks
7) Islanders

I must be weird though. The Mets are the only team I actually like from New York and I've been living there all of my life.
The thing about New York is that from era to era, year to year, it changes. Back in the 1980s, the Mets were the team and the Yankees were just about off the map. Win a couple of world championships and that changes quick. The Giants have always been immensly popular but I don't think they have ever surpassed a hot baseball team. The Jets are always the 4th of that group. After that so much depends on who's hot etc. Those of us who were around in 1994, 1979 and 1972 will tell you that there were long stretches of time when the Rangers were the hottest team in town. Unfortunately hockey just doesn't have the sticking power of the other sports.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
To echo alot of other feelings, the Rangers are currently more popular than the Knicks. The Rangers sell out every game, the Knicks need to advertise tickets. I see people all around the city wearing Rangers stuff even on non-game days, now you almost never see people wearing Knicks stuff. The Rangers get better ratings too.

But since the media cares more about basketball and creating a story (mainly that being how much a proud organization has been run into the ground), the Knicks get more attention. I don't completely get it, but that's the way it goes.

In my opinion, the order of most popular teams goes like this:

1) Yankees...and it will stay this way unless they miss the playoffs for several years and the Mets have success in their stead.
2) Mets...New York is a baseball town, simple enough
3) Giants...Although I do agree that the Jets have been talked about more recently, kind of amusing actually
4) Jets....Still, this is clearly a Giants area in terms of fandom
5) Rangers...in terms of fan popularity. In terms of media attention, the Knicks are ahead
6) Knicks....Isiah Thomas is a piece of garbage...sorry, random thought
7) Islanders...They still have a decent-size Long Island following
8) Nets....I think they are interchangeable with the Devils
9) Devils...Not even a blip on the media radar although they do have a core fanbase

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
lol are you sure? If that were true you would know that they changed their team name a couple years ago!
I know that. I refuse to ackowledge it whenever possible. Been going to games since 1996.

nyrmetros is online now   Reply With Quote