HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers popularity in New York

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2008, 02:20 AM
  #51
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So when the Knicks were making the playoffs and going to the Finals and the Rangers weren't sniffing the playoffs, why weren't the Rangers on the back pages?
Because basketball is a more popular sport than hockey. The Rangers' increase in popularity has been a recent thing and it took the Knicks becoming the worst franchise in sports just to finally make the Rangers even comparable to the Knicks.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
  #52
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Cool thread. From an Islanders' fan perspective:

1. Yankees
2. Mets
3. Giants
4. Jets
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Nets
8. Islanders
9. Devils

I do think that the Rangers could theoretically pass the Knicks if the Knicks put up another 3-5 years of garbage. I put the Nets over the Isles and Devils b/c they became a pretty big deal (with lots of area basketball fans crossing over) in the beginning part of the decade with Jason Kidd and their run to the finals. They have a hidden potential IMHO to stake out claim in the market (especially when the Knicks suck) that the Islanders and Devils will never have unfortunately.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
  #53
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Basketball is a much bigger sport in NY than hockey is. In the winter how many times are the Knicks on the back pages? How many times are the Rangers?
So because the Knicks get more back pages that makes them more popular?
How about the fact the Rangers draw better even when both teams are good or bad?
The lack of backpages happened post lockout...I really think it is unfair to say the Rangers are below the Knicks.

The Rangers are one of the most popular teams in the NHL...they have a great fanbase...inner city...less so...suburbs...more than the Knicks.

Whatever it is...NY is a better hockeytown I believe than Boston.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
  #54
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,148
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
So because the Knicks get more back pages that makes them more popular?
If the goal is to sell more copies of your paper to more people, you put the more popular team on the back pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
How about the fact the Rangers draw better even when both teams are good or bad?
So attendance figures dictates popularity? I'll give you that the Rangers have a more loyal fanbase but not larger.n.[/QUOTE]

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
  #55
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Pucked...

the Knicks are a great deal more popular than the Rangers in the City. It's not because everyone loves the Knicks, it's the fact that basketball is followed by more people. The back pages of the papers are totally meaningful. Newpapers will put what's going to sell on the back pages.

Regarding the fact that the Rangers draw more than the Knicks - I'd like to see that fact. I'd also like to see what the viewership (TV) for each has been, as well as the revenue for each team.

The Rangers may be one of the most popular teams in the NHL, but that doesn't make them more popular than the Knicks.

As for Boston vs. NY in terms of hockey towns...I'd have to say Boston. There's just a greater interest in hockey from that city. Much more places to play, more people playing, and you have the college teams in the area all with hockey teams the locals follow.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
  #56
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Excellent point Fletch about Boston. The Bruins struggle to fill the building from time to time, but College Hockey is popular in New England and HS hockey is fairly popular too.

I still can't get over some of these people who think the Rangers are more popular than the Knicks and the Mets are more popular than the Giants.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:27 PM
  #57
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

So attendance figures dictates popularity? I'll give you that the Rangers have a more loyal fanbase but not larger.n.
Agreed. That is what I was trying to say in my earlier ramblings about Knicks vs Rangers fans and the comparison of Yankees and Giants. Thank you for the Cliff Notes version!!!!

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
  #58
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,148
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Agreed. That is what I was trying to say in my earlier ramblings about Knicks vs Rangers fans and the comparison of Yankees and Giants. Thank you for the Cliff Notes version!!!!
But I don't agree with your Yankee/Giants stance.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
  #59
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The Giants are so far ahead of the Jets and mets it is not even funny. Even without Super Bowl XLII. The Knicks are also way ahead of the Rangers.

As for the Giants vs Rangers, right now it is the Yankees, however for a long time, the Giants were top dog in this city. All the sell-outs, the wait list for season tickets. The Giants could go 0-16 three years in a row and they still will not have a dent in the season ticket waiting list. The Yankees have past the Giants because of WFAN. Guys like mike and the mad dog do not know about any other sport so they talk baseball all year round. It trickled down to other hosts. Going to Yankee games has become a trendy thing to do, similar to going to Knicks games in the 90's. If the Yankees have 2 or 3 more years out of the play-offs, you will see how fair-weather their fans really are.
I disagree with a few points in this one. First of all... The Yankees >>> Giants. Throw TV ratings out the window, if the Yankees played 16 games a year their ratings would be through the roof too. And if the Giants played 162 games than they'd be hard pressed to even get a quarter of the ratings they get now. The Yankees aren't just the corner stone in NYC but the corner stone team amongst all sports. PERIOD. They're probably the most well known team in America and probably the best known team outside of America. This is the baby of sports, it doesn't get any bigger than The Yankees. And aren't that worth over $1 billion and the Giants are barely worth $800 million? Those numbers speak for themselves. According to Forbes they are. No one tops the Yankees, period.

And secondly, the Knicks are not as popular as the Rangers in 2008. Nor were they in 2007, or 2006. The Knicks have not been popular for a long time. The Knicks can't even sell out the Garden anymore. The Rangers don't go a game without selling it out. The Knicks will have to string along a few good years before they surpass the Rangers again. In the mid 90's were they more popular than the Rangers... Yes... In the late 2000's... No. TV Ratings would suggest that one too. Rangers have sky rocketed and the Knicks continue to take a heavy hit every year.

And the Rangers should never be overlooked for hockey. IF they aren't the most popular team in the NHL they are darn close. To me, its either them or the Red Wings. No one comes close to those guys in the NHL.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
  #60
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
isn't it tough to compare the Giants and the Yankees? One sport plays everyday and the other, in many seasons, only 16 times. The amount of fans that get jazzed up for a regular season football game is insane; from those attending the game to those in the bars watching the game or those at home watching the game. How is this popularity measured? By sheer number of people following the game, and by following, what is meant? Tough to compare when you're talking about 162 games vs. 16 games.

Fataldogg - I think the point is the Yankees do not play 16 games per season. I'd also guess that more people, NY or otherwise, would watch a Giants playoff game over a Yankees playoff game, and that includes the bars, homes, etc. Totally different midset. Each football game is an event and we can't play the "if" game.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
  #61
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Fatal...

again, regarding popularity...on any given night if you go to a bar in NYC and there is a Knicks game on and a Rangers game on, and there was one TV, which game do you think would be on more TVs? The Rangers will have a hard time being more popular than the Knicks due to the following of each sport. Still far more basketball fans than hockey fans out there, unfortunately.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
  #62
nineteenforty*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: new jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
yankees
giants
mets
jets
knicks
rangers
nets
devils
islanders

nineteenforty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:55 PM
  #63
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,352
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
1 yankees
2 mets
3 giants
4 jets
.
.
major seperation
.
.
5 rangers
6 knicks
.
.
the media covers the knicks a little more, and it just has to be something that comes from the history of basketball in the city, because for people 30 or 35 and under there's no doubt in my mind the rangers are more popular...and the clarify i know there may be bigger numbers out there of basketball fans versus hockey because its new york city, but the majority of people out at the bar or something will be rangers fans than knicks fans, imo

another major seperation
.
.
devils, nets, isles, red bulls in no order


all of the other ones in terms of new york city are just too irrelevant and be ranked. in the suburbs its a different story.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
  #64
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I never thought this was a fair question.

Being popular in NY, just based on size and culture, is still leap years ahead of being number one anywhere else.

It's like being the 10th smartest scientist in NASA. You're still smarter than a lot of other people.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:14 AM
  #65
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Knicks are a great deal more popular than the Rangers in the City. It's not because everyone loves the Knicks, it's the fact that basketball is followed by more people. The back pages of the papers are totally meaningful. Newpapers will put what's going to sell on the back pages.

Regarding the fact that the Rangers draw more than the Knicks - I'd like to see that fact. I'd also like to see what the viewership (TV) for each has been, as well as the revenue for each team.

The Rangers may be one of the most popular teams in the NHL, but that doesn't make them more popular than the Knicks.

As for Boston vs. NY in terms of hockey towns...I'd have to say Boston. There's just a greater interest in hockey from that city. Much more places to play, more people playing, and you have the college teams in the area all with hockey teams the locals follow.
I lived in Boston...they don't care anymore, if at all, of hockey than New York.
The Rangers have a MUCH BETTER fanbase than the Bruins...and while Boston has a very good college and youth hockey program...a lot of their star players in college come from the NY tri state area.

New York is an outstanding hockeytown...I think it gets lost/overshadowed by having 8 other pro teams.
I don't think you can say Boston is better...because frankly...nobody cares about the Bruins...they have no fanbase.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:41 AM
  #66
Hemlawk86
Registered User
 
Hemlawk86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Last season I was walking down 7th street before a game with my jersey on. Some black dude (not that it matters) shouted "**** the Rangers" as we walked past each other in a croud. I just turned back looked at him funny and said **** the knicks... because I HATE basketball.

hockey still has a ways to go...

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
  #67
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Excellent point Fletch about Boston. The Bruins struggle to fill the building from time to time, but College Hockey is popular in New England and HS hockey is fairly popular too.

I still can't get over some of these people who think the Rangers are more popular than the Knicks and the Mets are more popular than the Giants.
What I can't get over is your ridiculous obsession of comparing two completely different sports and situations and acting like it's a given that you're right. You're trying to prove the Giants popularity over the Mets by saying you have friends who sell memorabilia? So one person who sells things and says they sell more Giants things means the Giants have a better fan base? Plus your own attendance and wait list argument has already been disproven by others on here. Unfortunately you can't comprehend 8 home games versus 81. If anything, I'd find it much easier to argue for the Yankees and Mets popularity averging 50 and 40 thousand people every night for 81 games then the Giants beind able to sell out 8 football games for the most popular league in the country in the biggest market. Also, you tried saying this Yankees thing is an aberration due to their success and you used 1962 I believe to show the Yankees averaged 21,000 right? The Boston Red Sox had 14,000 for their home opener that year. The Chicago Cubs, while having over 25,000 for their home opener that year, consistently had crowds under 10,000. Including TWICE having crowds of LESS THAN 2,000 in the first week of the season. You really need to put things in proper context before you compare them. For someone who can't believe how anyone could put the Mets ahead of the Giants, you're the one who looks mighty foolish.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk86 View Post
Last season I was walking down 7th street before a game with my jersey on. Some black dude (not that it matters) shouted "**** the Rangers" as we walked past each other in a croud. I just turned back looked at him funny and said **** the knicks... because I HATE basketball.

hockey still has a ways to go...

So some guy being a jerk in New York City (Suprise, suprise) means that hockey still has a way to go? 1 in 8 million. Good logic. Cute story though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
  #68
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
I think in the entire tri-state region the Rangers are more popular...in the city...less so...and due SOLELY to racial composition.
If you accound for that factor...NY is one of the three best NHL towns in the US.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
  #69
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Pucked...

I guess when I go to bars and hang out very few people are watching/talking hockey. Too often I have to ask to put the hockey game on, or the game's on the smaller TVs. Perhaps I'm not going to 'hockey' bars, but of course if it's a hockeytown most bars would have a focus. And I think that because it gets lost within the other 8 teams in the area, it does take a back seat which prevents it from becoming a hockeytown since there's so much more out there. And by hockeytown I'm not talking about sheer numbers of people following the sport. There's 8+ million people in the City and surrounding areas. I'm talking about the percentage of those following the sport, which I still consider to be quite low.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
  #70
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Also, Pucked...

you can't back out the racial diversity in the town, because it does exist. It's like saying if the Yankees won those games against Boston in August, with all else being equal, they'd still be in the Wild Card race. While this is a true statement, it doesn't change the facts of where they are today.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
  #71
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Do you think people in Boston have the B's on in bars?
Ha!

Hockey is not number 1 in NY..so what...it doesn't mean NY still isn't a big hockeytown.
The Rangers are immensly popular...and look at all the players in the NCAA and NHL from the US who are from the tri state area.

Do you think it's any different in Philly...or the northeast in general?
Outside of Buffalo/Minnesota/Det...this is what you're going to get.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
  #72
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
Do you think people in Boston have the B's on in bars?
Ha!

Hockey is not number 1 in NY..so what...it doesn't mean NY still isn't a big hockeytown.
The Rangers are immensly popular...and look at all the players in the NCAA and NHL from the US who are from the tri state area.

Do you think it's any different in Philly...or the northeast in general?
Outside of Buffalo/Minnesota/Det...this is what you're going to get.
You obviously do not know Philly wery well. The Eagles are tops, but the Flyers are more popular than the Phils and Sixers.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
  #73
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
isn't it tough to compare the Giants and the Yankees? One sport plays everyday and the other, in many seasons, only 16 times. The amount of fans that get jazzed up for a regular season football game is insane; from those attending the game to those in the bars watching the game or those at home watching the game. How is this popularity measured? By sheer number of people following the game, and by following, what is meant? Tough to compare when you're talking about 162 games vs. 16 games.
Agreed, it is tough. My point is that from what I have seen when the Yankees struggled, noone cared about them. When the Giants had tough years, they still received attention.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
  #74
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
What I can't get over is your ridiculous obsession of comparing two completely different sports and situations and acting like it's a given that you're right. You're trying to prove the Giants popularity over the Mets by saying you have friends who sell memorabilia? So one person who sells things and says they sell more Giants things means the Giants have a better fan base? Plus your own attendance and wait list argument has already been disproven by others on here. Unfortunately you can't comprehend 8 home games versus 81. If anything, I'd find it much easier to argue for the Yankees and Mets popularity averging 50 and 40 thousand people every night for 81 games then the Giants beind able to sell out 8 football games for the most popular league in the country in the biggest market. Also, you tried saying this Yankees thing is an aberration due to their success and you used 1962 I believe to show the Yankees averaged 21,000 right? The Boston Red Sox had 14,000 for their home opener that year. The Chicago Cubs, while having over 25,000 for their home opener that year, consistently had crowds under 10,000. Including TWICE having crowds of LESS THAN 2,000 in the first week of the season. You really need to put things in proper context before you compare them. For someone who can't believe how anyone could put the Mets ahead of the Giants, you're the one who looks mighty foolish.
Actually, I have a very good comprehension of the difference between 8 home games and 81. We are not talking about the Red Sox, or the Cubs. I have said many times that the Red Sox selling out is recent. When I visited Boston University in April 1994 I could have bought tickets to that night's Sox-A's game at the box office that day. Didn't stay because I didn't feel like waiting around for another 4 hours for the game to start.

The Mets attendance numbers are bs. I have been to plently of Mets games where they announced 40K+ and it was obvious the building was more than 1/2 empty.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
  #75
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
As far as I'm concerned, hockey is #1. Rangers are #1 in NY, every other team is below.

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.