HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dane Byers

Old
09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

vCash: 500
Dane Byers

Was it just me, or did he look like Ryan Hollweg out there
fast, but hitting with reckless abandon. Im suprised they didn't give him a 5 minute major on that check from behind. He was skating all over the place trying hit everything that moved, which is fine, but you also gotta do more, or else you'll be, well, Ryan Holleg

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 07:55 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
fast, but hitting with reckless abandon. Im suprised they didn't give him a 5 minute major on that check from behind. He was skating all over the place trying hit everything that moved, which is fine, but you also gotta do more, or else you'll be, well, Ryan Holleg
am i the only one or was that hit not as bad as made out to be. looked to me like he turned right before beyers hit him. i could be wrong i was once back in 86

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:23 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
am i the only one or was that hit not as bad as made out to be. looked to me like he turned right before beyers hit him. i could be wrong i was once back in 86
I think he did turn a bit, but Byers still had time to react and not throw the hit

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Garv23

Too many penalties. I wanted to see more of this guy.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
That sounds great.

Byers got allot of qualitys; but his biggest weakness IMO have been that he have not had that mobility to get himself involved enough in a NHL game. So if he have become faster that could help him a great deal.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
NYR Viper

if he can improve on his skating he will be an nhl player with snarl.....but until he can gain some more speed i thibk he goes back to hartford

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The thing with players needing to improve their skating... if they are not a good skater by the time they are in the AHL, they have no business even being in NHL camp.

If you can't skate, have limited speed, and limited skill, how the hell are you supposed to keep up with guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev, among many others in the conference that you will be playing numerous times this year.

If you can't skate, you can't play.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

Check from behind was questionable...but also retribution. The guy took a run at Dubinsky before that play. Byers exacted a little revenge. All part of the game!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The thing with players needing to improve their skating... if they are not a good skater by the time they are in the AHL, they have no business even being in NHL camp.

If you can't skate, have limited speed, and limited skill, how the hell are you supposed to keep up with guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev, among many others in the conference that you will be playing numerous times this year.

How do you explain Dubinsky's progress? He was probably one of the worst 3 skaters in camp 3 years ago.

Old
09-21-2008, 12:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
How do you explain Dubinsky's progress? He was probably one of the worst 3 skaters in camp 3 years ago.
I don't know what he's talking about but Byer's isn't a bad skater. Don't make assumpions about players you don't een know about.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I don't know what he's talking about but Byer's isn't a bad skater. Don't make assumpions about players you don't een know about.
I actually think he should of been on this team but with Rissmiller and Voros he has to bide his time for one more year in Hartford

Next yr I think they need to make room for Byers, Korpikoski,Aminisev, Cherapanov

Betts, Orr, Rissmiller are FA and they should just be let go for the younger guys

I also think Greg Moore deserves to be on this team this yr

I know it's a risk but if their is a deal out there that can bring a bigger winger for Prucha, Betts combo I say they will do it

How about Ponikarovsky of the Leafs............not a hitter but big and defensive

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Too many penalties. I wanted to see more of this guy.
I imagine he'll play tomorrow if he is indeed contending for a roster spot, and by Pearn's comments he is.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I imagine he'll play tomorrow if he is indeed contending for a roster spot, and by Pearn's comments he is.
I don't think anyone who played last night will play Monday. They will all be playing on Tuesday in Tampa.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah, he isn't a bad skater -- but also wasn't a "good enough" skater last season when I saw him the last time.

Byers probably have to become a very skater before he could make a impact in the NHL, even if its on a 3rd or 4th line. But these days with the support we give our prospects -- there is plenty of room for them to develop their skating.

Old
09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
I agree, watching him I was saying the same thing, Hollweg with much better size and hopefully hands and brains too.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
hlundqvist30*

Yes, and Petr Nedved looked like Pavel Datsyuk...

Amazing how many conclusions people can draw from a single, absolutely meaningless game.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Yes, and Petr Nedved looked like Pavel Datsyuk...

Amazing how many conclusions people can draw from a single, absolutely meaningless game.
They are meaningless as far as the standings but for a player who thinks he has an opportunity to make the team they are not meaningless at all. He has to play as best as he can.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
They are meaningless as far as the standings but for a player who thinks he has an opportunity to make the team they are not meaningless at all. He has to play as best as he can.
Yes, but even so, the game is played at half the pace of a normal game, with many of the players unmotivated, etc. Making a judgement about a player in any sport based on a single regular season game is just plain stupid, let alone a preseason game.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
ogie

either way be it Voros or Byers, it is an upgrade from Hollywood

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Edge

Byers is one of the reasons I was suprised they made the moves they did this offseason.

Not that Byers was a sure shot or even ready, but it seemed like the deals pretty much sealed his fate for making the team out of camp.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

If the expectation is for him to be a premier power forward, this is probably true.

But for a fourth liner who can add some points, he's heading in the right direction.

I think we always think of physical play when talking about Dane, but don't forget that this kid has put up some really solid AHL numbers the last two years as well.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:00 PM
NYR Viper

edge, i think you feel like pretty much everyone else around here....the rangers have too many(and yes, it is too many) players who should be in the NHL right now.....i can list 15-20 forwards who havent looked out of place at all so far this preseason and who would most likely be playing on other NHL teams if they werent in the system....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
i said this exact thing in the game thread except it was short more like

"byers is the new hollweg"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Byers the new Hollweg? are you guys smoking some good stuff? Byers has potential to be a Daniel Cleary type IMO.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:17 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Byers the new Hollweg? are you guys smoking some good stuff? Byers has potential to be a Daniel Cleary type IMO.
and he really showed it tonight by impersonating Hollweg.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote