HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Sullivan SIGNED! - 3 Years / $2.925MM per year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2008, 04:09 PM
  #126
Epatt001
Registered User
 
Epatt001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: IRVINE
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

It is unfotunate that we have a GM who is so pennywise and pound foolish that he cant see past his own short purse strings (and tenure?) to make this team grow an develop together while he is so busy watching out for Poor Phil's pocketbook.
as lousy as aeg is at running the team, if uncle phil limits the amount lombardi can spend. what's he supposed to do?

Epatt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
  #127
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,925
vCash: 500
There's NO reason for DL to spend to the cap this year - or anything close.

I have no doubt any budget laid out allows for signing of core players. I'm certain it also says don't spend to the cap this year because we know the team will suck. This is nothing new. To imply that DL is artificially limited from signing RFA and any necessary UFA pieces is nonsense.

I'm sure DL WIll be allowed to spend more once the team is more competitive and is ready to take that next step of adding key players for a serious playoff push. That isn't happening this year.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
  #128
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Yeah...




When's the last time the Kings had 2 picks out of the first 5?
More importantly, when was the last time that this team was truly competitive?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
  #129
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
More importantly, when was the last time that this team was truly competitive?
Every pre-season I can remember!

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
  #130
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks
 
Zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
More importantly, when was the last time that this team was truly competitive?
92-93






All of which is Dean Lombardi's fault.









Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
  #131
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 20,341
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
More importantly, when was the last time that this team was truly competitive?
Have you driven a Ford lately?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
  #132
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
You seem overly bitter towards POS.
I am. Lombardi took a chance on this kid and now he's dicking us over. He put "faith" in O'Sullivan by trading an established top six winger for him. And after one FIFTY point season he's asking for the bank?

I love O'Sullivan as a hockey player and a (possible) integral part of this team's future winning core. But he's been a headcase from the moment he stepped into juniors, largely due to his retard, caveman father. This holdout bull**** is affecting a fragile rebuild, and POS knows this. Yet he still refuses to come down on his asking price.

If Lombardi were the unreasonable party here, POS would have already signed an offer sheet. Obviously, not one team in the league believes he's worth what he's asking for, otherwise he'd have left LA a while ago.

I truly think Toronto's likely top five pick would have infinitely more value than POS. Could you imagine drafting Hedman/Tavares AND one of Schenn, Duchene, or Paajarvi? Insanity.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
  #133
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
92-93






All of which is Dean Lombardi's fault.








Dean Lombardi was brought in to make the Kings competitive within a reasonable amount of time. Since his contract was for 5 years, that's probably the time frame that AEG expected.

If Lombardi trades O'Sullivan for a 2009 draft pick, it isn't likely that the player selected will even make the team for 2-3 seasons - much less have an impact on the team.

IMO, Lombardi has the majority of the pieces to the puzzle right now - it's time to develop these players, not just exchange performance for potential.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
  #134
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I truly think Toronto's likely top five pick would have infinitely more value than POS. Could you imagine drafting Hedman/Tavares AND one of Schenn, Duchene, or Paajarvi? Insanity.
Just think - you could trade Kopitar, Brown, Johnson, and Bernier and get them ALL!

(Of course, we might not see the playoffs again for another decade, but think of the POTENTIAL!)


PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:18 PM
  #135
deeker*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dustin's jock
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmminc
Take it to the bank... POS new deal will reach the NHL offices by 4:00 Eastern time on the 1st of October and his press conference with the Leafs is scheduled for later that day!! See you all at FF!!
Well, I hope some peeps over there are letting him know that dude may be getting a little too happy about being traded to a sucky "black hole" team. Hope he like freezing winters.

Sucky team sucks.

Well at least they got Jeff Finger... must be good right? I mean the dude makes 4.25/season. Forget about the fact that he was a healthy scratch for 5/10 playoff games last season. LOL


Well, at least Sully will get his $$$.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
There's NO reason for DL to spend to the cap this year - or anything close.

I have no doubt any budget laid out allows for signing of core players. I'm certain it also says don't spend to the cap this year because we know the team will suck. This is nothing new. To imply that DL is artificially limited from signing RFA and any necessary UFA pieces is nonsense.

I'm sure DL WIll be allowed to spend more once the team is more competitive and is ready to take that next step of adding key players for a serious playoff push. That isn't happening this year.

- T

Link?


just sayin', you sure seem uber confident. What makes you so sure that they will do something that they have never done?



Quote:
To imply that DL is artificially limited from signing RFA and any necessary UFA pieces is nonsense.
what exactly are you saying here?

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:25 PM
  #136
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I am. Lombardi took a chance on this kid and now he's dicking us over. He put "faith" in O'Sullivan by trading an established top six winger for him. And after one FIFTY point season he's asking for the bank?

I love O'Sullivan as a hockey player and a (possible) integral part of this team's future winning core. But he's been a headcase from the moment he stepped into juniors, largely due to his retard, caveman father. This holdout bull**** is affecting a fragile rebuild, and POS knows this. Yet he still refuses to come down on his asking price.

If Lombardi were the unreasonable party here, POS would have already signed an offer sheet. Obviously, not one team in the league believes he's worth what he's asking for, otherwise he'd have left LA a while ago.

I truly think Toronto's likely top five pick would have infinitely more value than POS. Could you imagine drafting Hedman/Tavares AND one of Schenn, Duchene, or Paajarvi? Insanity.
He has not been a headcase. By the way, even if he is asking for 4 million (which you only have heard DL's side of the story ) it's very comparable prices based off what we have seen given to comparable players. Also, I guess the rest of the players who just signed after an entire summer of nothing were hardheaded and unreasonable with retarded cavemen fathers? What about all of the other players in DL's career that have littered his resume with holdouts and tough negotiations? Wasn't DL fired for a very similiar situation in the past. He is a natorious lowballer and yet you spread your conjecture around.

By the way, DL himself said at the end of last year that POS has been a model citizen, popular with the team and that he wishes he had a roster full of him. Maybe your headcase comment is as rediculous as the rest of your agenda?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:57 PM
  #137
deeker*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dustin's jock
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
He has not been a headcase. By the way, even if he is asking for 4 million (which you only have heard DL's side of the story ) it's very comparable prices based off what we have seen given to comparable players. Also, I guess the rest of the players who just signed after an entire summer of nothing were hardheaded and unreasonable with retarded cavemen fathers? What about all of the other players in DL's career that have littered his resume with holdouts and tough negotiations? Wasn't DL fired for a very similiar situation in the past. He is a natorious lowballer and yet you spread your conjecture around.
You obviously don't know hockey.

j/k

Quote:
By the way, DL himself said at the end of last year that POS has been a model citizen, popular with the team and that he wishes he had a roster full of him. Maybe your headcase comment is as rediculous as the rest of your agenda?
Hey now, you're arguing with an insider here. Can't you tell by how he "speaks" in absolutes?

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
  #138
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks
 
Zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...0,457832.story

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
  #139
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
What a surprise, Lombardi refuses to give O'Sullivan a short term deal no matter what the money is.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
  #140
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
What a surprise, Lombardi refuses to give O'Sullivan a short term deal no matter what the money is.
What a surprise, he wants to keep the core together long term.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:14 PM
  #141
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,925
vCash: 500
"We're not giving him a one-year contract because I might have to write off this season," Lombardi said during practice Thursday morning.

In fact, Lombardi said he won't offer anything less than a three-year deal. As far as sending the wrong message to other Kings, several of whom will be restricted free agents after this season, Lombardi said he's trying to avoid that scenario.

"The whole message we're trying to send is we want to keep everybody together," he said. "If [O'Sullivan's contract] is not done right, you're going to have a problem with the other guys."


That's refreshing honesty... of course he's saying what we already know - that this season is essentially worthless, but still - at least he's not feeding us some crap about doing some damage this year.

A one year deal is pointless anyway because it's not about THIS season - it's about years 3+. A 2 year deal gets O'Sullivan to arbitration and given the stalemate we're already experiencing - we already know how that'll go.

Part of me HATES that DL won't get this guy signed. The other part of me HATES that O'Sullivan won't sign. Which is the right side? There isn't one.

I agree though with this move toward a long term deal or no deal... at this point - it's a long term deal, or it's over. I don't want to go through this **** again in 1 year or two when he's eligible for arbitration and we have Cammalleri II all over again.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:55 PM
  #142
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
So O'Sullivan is the "sacrificial lamb"?

I think that sends a great message to the rest of the "core". I am not necessarily taking O'Sullivan's side on this....but there has to be some middle ground....this "my way or the highway" mentality will not be conducive to a winning atmosphere.

If O'Sullivan misses the season because of this I predict there will be problems with signing Johnson in the not too distant future.

Kopitar has already accomplished a lot so he might not have as hard a time getting a good contract....but Johnson will want more than I think Dean is willing to give. Then it will be the curse of Cammi all over again.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
  #143
Builditagain*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
You want him, pay him.If AEG doesn't want to commit financially why would a player.
Its funny that they argue that they don't bargain on potential yet they are going to end up with the possibilities of draft picks that may or may not work.Good luck with the rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild.
Its a shame because Patrick really does love playing in LA and has chemistry with alot of the players on the team not to mention friends.
Business is business.LA will regret this for along time just like Minny.
Go Leafs Go.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:03 AM
  #144
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
This paragraph baffled me....

Quote:
Every day that O'Sullivan is held out of training camp, his conditioning and development suffer, Lombardi said. As a result, it's more likely that the team's fourth-leading scorer from last season won't be at full strength until early next year.
The players get 18 days of training camp. So if O'Sullivan misses training camp it will take him 3 months to "be at full strength"?

Also is Dean insinuating that just because O'Sullivan is not in camp that he is not exercising or skating or doing any kind of training what-so-ever? That could very well be the case....but I would assume that O'Sullivan is not just sitting on his ass waiting for a phone call. If he has any common sense he is hitting the gym and skating as much as possible.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:07 AM
  #145
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks
 
Zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
This paragraph baffled me....



The players get 18 days of training camp. So if O'Sullivan misses training camp it will take him 3 months to "be at full strength"?

Also is Dean insinuating that just because O'Sullivan is not in camp that he is not exercising or skating or doing any kind of training what-so-ever? That could very well be the case....but I would assume that O'Sullivan is not just sitting on his ass waiting for a phone call. If he has any common sense he is hitting the gym and skating as much as possible.
Posturing.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:15 AM
  #146
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,397
vCash: 500
I hope Lombardi doesn't have any daughters...sheesh they'll never get married with him as their father.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:18 AM
  #147
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Posturing.
Well if Dean is right he better trade for Schneider soon.....because every day that he is out of camp his conditioning and development are suffering. If the trade is not done soon then Matthieu will not be at full strength until early next year....then what good will he be to the Kings?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:23 AM
  #148
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Well if Dean is right he better trade for Schneider soon.....because every day that he is out of camp his conditioning and development are suffering. If the trade is not done soon then Matthieu will not be at full strength until early next year....then what good will he be to the Kings?

I take 'full strength' to mean more as contribution to the team and less of a physical thing. You can't say that a young player coming off his first good season won't suffer a little from missing camp. He may not, but with a new coach and system, if he is in the line-up early in the season without getting in any of training camp, he will most likely have a harder time adjusting and finding his game within the new system and with the new people. There's a reason they have training camp and it's not because its fun.

On the other hand, 3 months seems to be an arbitrary number.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:01 AM
  #149
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"We're not giving him a one-year contract because I might have to write off this season," Lombardi said during practice Thursday morning.

In fact, Lombardi said he won't offer anything less than a three-year deal. As far as sending the wrong message to other Kings, several of whom will be restricted free agents after this season, Lombardi said he's trying to avoid that scenario.

"The whole message we're trying to send is we want to keep everybody together," he said. "If [O'Sullivan's contract] is not done right, you're going to have a problem with the other guys."


That's refreshing honesty... of course he's saying what we already know - that this season is essentially worthless, but still - at least he's not feeding us some crap about doing some damage this year.

A one year deal is pointless anyway because it's not about THIS season - it's about years 3+. A 2 year deal gets O'Sullivan to arbitration and given the stalemate we're already experiencing - we already know how that'll go.

Part of me HATES that DL won't get this guy signed. The other part of me HATES that O'Sullivan won't sign. Which is the right side? There isn't one.

I agree though with this move toward a long term deal or no deal... at this point - it's a long term deal, or it's over. I don't want to go through this **** again in 1 year or two when he's eligible for arbitration and we have Cammalleri II all over again.

- T
I disagree.

I'd rather have him sign a 1 year deal than miss part of the season and potentially damage his relationship with the org.

If both sides can't come to an agreement on a long term contract, I don't see why a 1 year deal is a negative. Dean doesn't seem to think O'Sullivan has proven enough, so the extra year gives more time to evaluate O'Sullivan as a player. Plus there will still be an opportunity to lock him long term next off season.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:39 AM
  #150
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
He has not been a headcase. By the way, even if he is asking for 4 million (which you only have heard DL's side of the story ) it's very comparable prices based off what we have seen given to comparable players. Also, I guess the rest of the players who just signed after an entire summer of nothing were hardheaded and unreasonable with retarded cavemen fathers? What about all of the other players in DL's career that have littered his resume with holdouts and tough negotiations? Wasn't DL fired for a very similiar situation in the past. He is a natorious lowballer and yet you spread your conjecture around.

By the way, DL himself said at the end of last year that POS has been a model citizen, popular with the team and that he wishes he had a roster full of him. Maybe your headcase comment is as rediculous as the rest of your agenda?
I'll concede that the headcase comment was unwarranted. I don't know that for sure and it was said in anger. Still doesn't change the fact that O'Sullivan's father was horribly abusive and that must have had some effect on O'Sullivan's psyche.

If O'Sullivan was asking for a contract like his comparables (Andrei Kostistyn) he would probably be signed already.

And it's funny how you accuse me of conjecture when your post is full of it.

It's also funny that you accuse me of having an agenda when it's guys like you who run around saying the same tired spiel about how horrible of a GM Lombardi is. I've flip flopped on Lombardi all summer. An "agenda" is the farthest thing from my mind. You, on the other hand, refuse to place any blame on anyone BUT Dean Lombardi.

Conjecture...give me a break. "Notorious lowballer" - what's more conjectural than that? Take a long, hard look in the mirror, son.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.