Notices

Giordano?

Old
09-22-2008, 08:39 AM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

vCash: 500
Giordano?

What's the story with him? I am now hearing he will be looked at by Keenan to partner up Phaneuf on the pp. Is that right? What do you guys expect from him this season. What happened to Aucoin?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
What's the story with him? I am now hearing he will be looked at by Keenan to partner up Phaneuf on the pp. Is that right? What do you guys expect from him this season. What happened to Aucoin?
if he plays with Phaneuf it will be because Phaneuf quite often plays almost the full PP and Aucoin doesn't... but I think they may try him with Phaneuf (or Sarich if Dion does get tried with Regehr) at even strength

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 07:02 PM
cross16

I was down at camp today and Gio was paired with Phaneuf. I was actually impressed by how well they played together. They seemed to have a pretty good natural chemistry. They were communication well together, had a good idea of when one was pinching and where the other should go, both moved the puck well back and forth which each other.

I thought playing them on the PP was a given, but now I'm thinking that playing them 5 on 5 is an option too. I would be concerned with Gio playing close to 20 mins a night and against top players, but they did look quite good out there.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I was down at camp today and Gio was paired with Phaneuf. I was actually impressed by how well they played together. They seemed to have a pretty good natural chemistry. They were communication well together, had a good idea of when one was pinching and where the other should go, both moved the puck well back and forth which each other.

I thought playing them on the PP was a given, but now I'm thinking that playing them 5 on 5 is an option too. I would be concerned with Gio playing close to 20 mins a night and against top players, but they did look quite good out there.
Gio wouldn't have to play that much though... if Aucoin plays with Vandermeer he can take the occasional shift with Phaneuf as well and it would distribute the icetime in a fashion that is more favorable for the Flames

Old
09-23-2008, 12:15 AM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Gio wouldn't have to play that much though... if Aucoin plays with Vandermeer he can take the occasional shift with Phaneuf as well and it would distribute the icetime in a fashion that is more favorable for the Flames
Yeah I know its easy to spread around the ice time. The bigger thing is how many times? ARe they going to rotate Gio out if they want Phaneuf to go up against better dmen?
I don't think it hurts them from an ice time perspective, but it sure makes it more difficult to match defensive pairings. It would pretty much have to be a revolving door with Phaneuf. I don't believe he is ready for that. He seemed to struggle at times when they were constantly switching partners on him.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

so would it be correct so say

pp1: Giordano - Phaneuf

even stregnth: possibly Giordano - Phaneuf, could be Aucoin Phaneuf or a rotation.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
so would it be correct so say

pp1: Giordano - Phaneuf

even stregnth: possibly Giordano - Phaneuf, could be Aucoin Phaneuf or a rotation.
even strength last year Phaneuf spent regular time with each Sarich (in the opening couple weeks of the season)... Aucoin (until he missed a game a with a shoulder injury)... Eriksson (until Vandermeer was acquired)... then Vandermeer to end the season

in all honesty Phaneuf's defensive partner is up in the air... I think the only guys under contract that won't get any solid consideration if they make the club are Sarich & Warrener... I expect Keenan to give Phaneuf/Regehr at least a look in the pre-season or early in the regular season... if that happens i think you could see Giordano/Sarich and Aucoin/Vandermeer... personally I think Aucoin is the best fit with Phaneuf though... i think Vandermeer and Giordano will compliment each other

Old
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Rudolf Yaber

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cammaleri on the point with Phaneuf on the PP, but I'm sure Gio gets PP time in some capacity this year.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote