HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milan Lucic Marc Savard Michael Ryder

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
fufonzo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Lucic has questionable hockey sense and is a 3rd / 4th liner at best? Wow.

I know it's hard to give credit where it's due, but even as a Bruins fan, I can admit how solid Komi is, how great a defenceman Markov is, and how much respect I have for the games of guys like Higgins, Koivu, and Plekanec.

Lucic has incredible vision for a big man, and a great shot. After January 1st last year, still playing limited minutes, Lucic put up 19 points in 43 games as a 19 year old. A 36 point pace with no power play time, and mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes. Pretty decent stats line for a 19 year old dumber than a can of soup.

If you seriously think his potential is limited to being a 3rd / 4th line player, you aren't being objective.
Why was he playing 3rd/4th line minutes if he isn't a 3rd/4th line player?

I understand he's quite young, he will improve and the sky's the limit for him, but to expect him to be a large contributor on a first line as early as this year is a lot to ask of him.

I'm not saying he won't do well in that position, but personally, I think that the OP is out to lunch on this one.

I'll agree with saying that this is an interesting line.

LW: 20 y/o PF with potential to do great things (but only 27 pts last season),
C: elite playmaker,
RW: goal scorer who just had the worst season of his career and couldn't crack the Habs' roster but is hoping that being reunited with Julien and a new team will rejuvenate him.

I'm not going to lie. I actually am pretty interested on how this line will do. But honestly, saying that it even has the potential to be a top-10 line in the NHL is a joke at best.

IMO, it has the potential of being an average top line in the NHL, but also has the risk of tanking, if Ryder doesn't return to form and Lucic doesn't progress as quickly as hoped.

I wouldn't trade any of our top three lines for this line right now (in terms of this season's production). I guess I'm just not confident they'll reach their potential this year.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
CanadienErrant*

The Habs took Maxwell just ahead of Lucic. I would had prefer Lucic, but let's give Maxwell a chance to pove himself.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
cneely

To be honest, I don't love it as a number one line, and would expect our "2nd" of Sturm - Bergeron - Kessel to out score them.

I think Julien is trying ways to give us a more balanced offensive attack. Add a 3rd line of Kobasew - Krejci - Schaeffer, and that gives us some decent scoring depth, IMO.

Top 10 in the league? Nah, I can't see it, and I'm not exactly objective.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
wtf....
he does not have the offensive ability, at least at this point, to play in the top 6.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
To be honest, I don't love it as a number one line, and would expect our "2nd" of Sturm - Bergeron - Kessel to out score them.

I think Julien is trying ways to give us a more balanced offensive attack. Add a 3rd line of Kobasew - Krejci - Schaeffer, and that gives us some decent scoring depth, IMO.

Agreed here. I actually like your second line more than your first.

You guys definitely have a lot of depth and I'm thinking we'll see some really good games between us this year.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Donkeyz

Quote:

True, true; as an opponent, I'd be more concerned by Sturm/Bergeron/Kessel; these 3 players play a complete game. In comparison, Savard & Ryder are defensive liabilities and Lucic might not have the speed to recover his linemate's mistakes ( = Ryder). Anyway, lines combo during preseason don't mean much.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
If you seriously think his potential is limited to being a 3rd / 4th line player, you aren't being objective.
nobody said his potential was limited to a 3rd or 4th liner, just that Lucic is only a 3rd or 4th liner right now.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Habs took Maxwell just ahead of Lucic. I would had prefer Lucic, but let's give Maxwell a chance to pove himself.
Lucic was coming off a 9 goal season in the WHL so his stock wasn't exactly that high while Maxwell was a potential first rounder. Seeing as we lacked depth and still lack depth in offensive center prospects Maxwell was and still is a good pick, now hopefully, he can stay healthy.

Old
09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeyz View Post
True, true; as an opponent, I'd be more concerned by Sturm/Bergeron/Kessel; these 3 players play a complete game. In comparison, Savard & Ryder are defensive liabilities and Lucic might not have the speed to recover his linemate's mistakes ( = Ryder). Anyway, lines combo during preseason don't mean much.
Kessel can certainly be a liability, but Bergeron and Sturm are both play an excellent 2 way game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
nobody said his potential was limited to a 3rd or 4th liner, just that Lucic is only a 3rd or 4th liner right now.
Maybe. With some hard work and improvement over the summer, I could see him coming in as a legit 2nd liner, capable of 15-20 goals, and 40-50 points. Not that big a stretch, like I said, after Jan 1, he played at a 36 point pace.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old
09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeyz View Post
Savard is not the same player he was in ATL. Last year with Bergeron out, he faced the other teams top line more often than not (with the anchor that was Glen Murray on his right), and he finished the season in the "plus" category.

This year, with Bergeron back in the lineup, and his line more than likely squaring up against the opponents #1 regularly, that should free Savard up to think offense more. I don't expect LSR to be a Top 10 line, but it has a great passer, a mucker/banger, and a shooter...all the elements to be effective.

Old
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I think that Lucic will acquit himself reasonably well, especially if it means Savard plays a whole season healthy, because a serviceable middleweight is keeping a lid on liberties taken on him. He was a well spent draft choice, especially if it turns out that he can keep up with that line. Lots of teams would make room for a Neely-lite.

Old
09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
CHestah in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Goals : 8
Assists : 19

Sure, the guy is fearless and as strong as they get, but that is it. He's average at pretty much all other aspects of the game. As we speak he's an excellent 3rd/4th line player and a border line 2nd line player. Latendresse who is a similar player with alot more offensive skills and experience will be playing on our 3rd line.
+freakin1

So tired of hearing Lucic this and Lucic that. He's not Cam Neeley!

Old
09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
+freakin1

So tired of hearing Lucic this and Lucic that. He's not Cam Neeley!
Who said he was?

However, if you watched him play regularly last year, you would know that he has a much better shot and hands than the average banger, and he made a playoff team last year as a 19 yr old.

I would imagine that if MTL had a player with Lucic's game and potential, B's fans would be getting him rammed down our throats as well...no?

Old
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Lucic-Savard-Ryder...

The LuSaR line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Who said he was?

However, if you watched him play regularly last year, you would know that he has a much better shot and hands than the average banger, and he made a playoff team last year as a 19 yr old.

I would imagine that if MTL had a player with Lucic's game and potential, B's fans would be getting him rammed down our throats as well...no?
Sure but will the B's fans listen quietly and take notes? It's all in good fun.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-22-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old
09-22-2008, 04:34 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Sure but will the B's fans listen quietly and take notes? It's all in good fun.
I don't think most B's fans mind when educated MTL fans make comments in jest, it's when people make innaccurate statements, and then believe them to be fact, when I get annoyed.

Good luck this year.

Old
09-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Tortue

They're not playing tonight

Old
09-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Boyes didn't exactly leech off anybody though, which is what Ryder would have to do.

Hell, even Joe Thornton could only get Cheechoo over 40 goals once and frankly, I think they're both better at what they do than Savard and Ryder.

But like I said, flukish things can happen.

"flukish things can happen"...quite the contrary, Ryder is a proven 30 goal scorer even with the weak linemates he had with the Habs.

Old
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I don't know what to do.
He said not to listen, nothing about reading.

Old
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
CTHabsfan

I doubt that this will be one of the top ten lines in the NHL, however, it has the potential to be a good line. It also has the potential to be a poor line. Everyone seems to think that Savard will help Ryder score more goals, which may happen. It is also possible that Ryder may drag Savard down. As far as Lucic is concerned, who knows what to expect from him this year. Maybe he'll become the next Cam Neely. Maybe he suffers from a sophomore jinx. Maybe he's not that good once there are higher expectations from him. Why don't we wait to see what happens once the season starts, assuming that this trio remains a line combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
"flukish things can happen"...quite the contrary, Ryder is a proven 30 goal scorer even with the weak linemates he had with the Habs.
Ask Teemu Selanne if he thinks that Saku Koivu is a "weak linemate".

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-22-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's scored 25, 30, 30 and 14 in 4 seasons.

Even if you discount last year as an anomaly you're asking for a 41% increase in scoring for him to get 40 goals.

That to me would be flukish unless he can consistently do it over the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He said not to listen, nothing about reading.
Touche.

But I'll choose not to read as well.

Old
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Ask Teemu Selanne if he thinks that Saku Koivu is a "weak linemate".

Yes, the way saku has been playing for the past few years and compared to a top 3-5 centre (in entire league) in Savard...So in relative terms for Ryder, Koivu is weak and getting weaker...By the way, I actually love Koivu but he's physically burnt out.

Old
09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Yes, the way saku has been playing for the past few years and compared to a top 3-5 centre (in entire league) in Savard...So in relative terms for Ryder, Koivu is weak and getting weaker...By the way, I actually love Koivu but he's physically burnt out.
Saku had his best statistical season in 2006-07, despite his vision problems that year (hey, Justin Williams, karma is a *****!), so your argument about the way that he has been playing for the last few years doesn't wash. Last year was a down season for Saku, however, he did spend a lot of time with a winger who had a horrible season. What was that guy's name, again?

Old
09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Koivu and Higgins were part of montreals first line in 06-07 with Ryder.

Ryder was the one on this line who didn't get 50 points last year.

Old
09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Boston fans, don't listen to the habs fans on this boards, they'll never ever give you an objective response to anything you ask them. Habs fans always think they're right and if you don't agree with them, then you're the crazy one.

Ryder will have a great year in Boston, that's a given. So he's not great defensively, it's not like he's the only one the league that has below average defensive awarness, even though most of the people on this board admitted that his defensive play improved this year. I love how habs fans always try to put down play his scoring talent by saying "he'll turn over the puck 3 times a shift" or "he'll just feed points off of Savard" Never will they give acknowledgement over something or someone they hate. When you look for faults in a player, trust me you'll find them. Look half the fans here want to trade Higgins, he'll become the new ryder.

On Lucic, how can someone possible say he's a 3rd/4th liner with little vision. Aren't some of you people who are claiming this the same people that blow a load in their pants over Latendresse? Lucic is an incredible prospect with a lot of upside, no he's not going to be a 50 goal scorer, but he won't be a 3rd/4th line player. I think habs fans are just pissed that everytime he plays our team, he makes us look like fools.

Lastly, I don't know how some of you can deny that boston has a good team, they can easily finish anywhere from 4th to 8th place, especially with the kind of coaching they have.

It's no wonder people on these boards hate habs fans, they are the most closed-minded self centered fans of any team in the nhl and sometimes it's really embarressing to be a habs fan.

Just incase some people didn't catch on, I am a habs fan, but I'm not afraid to admit when teams and other players are good.

Trust me, if Lucic played for the habs, 99.9% of fans would drool just thinking about him, proof of that, look how they are with Latendresse, with the way some people are talking how great he is now because he skates well, you'd think we just got Wayne Gretzky.

Habs fans always disagree with everything, always bash other teams, but will always be the first one on other peoples boards defending their own team.

Very refreshing to see an objective Habs fan...I just started thread to discuss the "potential" of this being a top line in the league and by no means indicated that this was a certainty, just that I honestly feel that there is a real possibility for this being an extremely effective line...Furthermore, Lucic could very easily be replaced with someone like Sturm if things don't workout.

Old
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
CTHabsfan

"Me thinks they are going to be a top ten line this year with Ryder being a top 10 goal scorer...But no one can really dispute that it has the potential to be an awesome line"

"a top 3-5 centre (in entire league) in Savard"

Ryder has never come close to finishing in the top ten and the Hockey News has Savard listed as the 18th best center in the NHL, but you're objective

Closed Thread