HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - Los Angeles

Old
09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I'm not a Kings fan, but if they won't get a better deal for O'Sullivan than Foligno, Schubert and a 3rd then that just illustrates exactly why they probably don't have any interest in trading him.

PS.

As for O'Sullivan's alleged contract demands of ~$5m, I don't see why that's so unreasonable given that Corey Perry (who is the same age) got $5.325m for scoring exactly 2 more points than O'Sullivan last year..
Foligno's really good, but yes, I believe that's why he hasn't been traded. He'll sit out or whatever he wants to do, until he signs a contract at 3-3.5 million. LA has loads of time to wait for him to 'come around'.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Winger23

Quote:
As for O'Sullivan's alleged contract demands of ~$5m, I don't see why that's so unreasonable given that Corey Perry (who is the same age) got $5.325m for scoring exactly 2 more points than O'Sullivan last year..
And in order to keep his stars, Burke must now sell off assets now in order to allow Teemu to play, something that DL is trying to avoid by signing Sully to a lower contract. At that price IMO Perry is overpayed, but thats just my humble opinion. They both should get no more than 3.5 a year....

If Sully gets 5, I'd hate to think what Kopi, Brown and Frolov will be making....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
I'm not a Kings fan, but if they won't get a better deal for O'Sullivan than Foligno, Schubert and a 3rd then that just illustrates exactly why they probably don't have any interest in trading him.

PS.

His agent started negotiations with $4m per for 2 years and the Kings want him to take around that amount long term. I think the term is the sticking point....

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
I've talked comparables over and over again and quite honestly I don't want to get into it once again... but here's 2 quick reasons why Corey Perry gets more than O'Sullivan.

Corey Perry scored 44 points in his first full season and 54 in his second (in only 70 games). That is a .644 PPG average.
O'Sullivan scored 19 points in his first half season and 53 in his first full season. That equals a .571 PPG average.

Corey Perry has been in the playoffs three different years and has 21 points in 35 games. .600 PPG average. He also has a ring.
O'Sullivan has no playoff experience.

That's why they aren't the same. And not even in the same neighborhood...yet.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Saucechucker99

Kings could get more from another team

Saucechucker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Builditagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
I've talked comparables over and over again and quite honestly I don't want to get into it once again... but here's 2 quick reasons why Corey Perry gets more than O'Sullivan.

Corey Perry scored 44 points in his first full season and 54 in his second (in only 70 games). That is a .644 PPG average.
O'Sullivan scored 19 points in his first half season and 53 in his first full season. That equals a .571 PPG average.

Corey Perry has been in the playoffs three different years and has 21 points in 35 games. .600 PPG average. He also has a ring.

Its real simple O'Sullivan is better and has a greater upside.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditagain View Post
Its real simple O'Sullivan is better and has a greater upside.
With comments like this I am beginning to believe you are his dad.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
I won't drag you into it again, then. But I will respond to the rest of your post.

Quote:
Fair enough. The other differences that I see is that Perry is receiving passes from guys like Getzlaf, Pronger and Niedermayer.. I would argue that while LA has some great young players, Anaheim's top line forwards receive better support.

However Los Angeles probably played a much looser defensive system, that is friendlier to scoring forwards of course.

Still, you can't deny that in his career Perry has had better numbers - even though that doesn't necessarily indicate that he will be the better player over the next few years.

Quote:
Hmm, excellent negotiating tactic on DL's part - keep his team out of the playoffs until he can sign his younger players to long-term contracts?

In all seriousness though, I will definitely agree that Perry's experience and production in the playoffs helped his case in negotiations.

Quote:
True - but I was saying why I think O'Sullivan could reasonable ask for that.. not why he deserves to get it.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Airborne Troll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Of course he could, who does he have to beat? Mikhail Grabovski?

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I still can't understand the hype O'Sullivan is getting after putting up one decent season as a 23-year old......

IMHO, it's for a couple of reasons:

1) In the shoot-out, he was 4/5.

2) He performed some serious "eyes in the back of his head" manuveurs last season. Seriously, there was one time he made a play and I was thinking ..........."Modano?" And another time he worked a different kind of magic and I thought........"Forsberg?" I can't say the same of any other young player we have (except maybe Kopitar who scored a "Sakic-like" shoot-out goal). O'Sullivan does, indeed, possess "specialness". Just don't let his agent use this post in negotiations.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
If Sully gets 5....
But if it's for 8+ years, then 5 is a long-term steal (for Lombardi, not Sully). Long-term, I see Sully being a trifle superior to Elias (6).

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
typicaljs

Perry and Getzlaf were the secondary scoring that won the ducks the cup, that is why they deserve more money at this point in time. While I do agree that there may be something to the idea of Corey Perry's numbers being inflated due to playing on a better team, The kid can play playoff hockey and that is valuable to NHL teams.

Osullivan on the other hand has no playoff experience, which is I believe the only aspect of their game that Corey Perry has an advantage over Osullivan.

I am a king's fan, so my opinion maybe just a little bit biased. I do try to watch all hockey as objectively as possible but sometimes I can't help it.

Osullivan IMO is up there with Turris in having those special offensive instincts. He has an absolutely sick shot ( don't worry, you'll see it plenty next year when he gets signed), is money in the shootout, set up Handzus for I think the easiest SH goal I've ever seen in the NHL, and is generally an offensive wizard. Oh, and last season he scored over .5 PPG while learning a role he himself admitted he would have laughed at it if someone told him thats the role he would be playing in the NHL. Oh, and he was the kings best penalty killing forward last year.

Osullivan is obviously not untouchable, but if he can get signed to a decent contract he will be a huge part of the kings core for many years to come.

just my two cents from a kings fan that loves hockey in general. Again, I try not to be too biased, but I have to admit I have developed quite a man-crush on him after seeing the sick offensive skills he has combined with the way he worked hard to be a solid defensive player first, and then one of, if not, the kings most offensively talented players second. And that is why he is so valuable to a team that was the worst defensive team last year. Sorry if that's a little too long, didn't want anyone to give me too much grief since it's my first post I believe.

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
So in other words the Kings could trade a dynamic offensive player who brings leadership elements and feistiness and has always been the go-to guy for his teams in exchange for a player whose ceiling is lower and is worse now?

Oh yeah I forgot, they'd get "ntohing sepcial" back, too.

Where do they sign?
He wasn't asking for Kopitar.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
typicaljs

I don't know so much about leadership abilities, aside from I recall him wearing an A in the AHL. But other than that what he said was correct, and no he wasn't talking about Kopitar because Kopitar's feisteness level is basically at 0, Osullivan on the other hand will play the body more and actually will get involved in scrums. A fiesty Kopitar that plays the body would be a dominant force to be reckoned with. Please hockey gods, give Anze Kopitar a mean streak.

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:21 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
That's low

Taking a shot at our weakness but then again it doesn't surprise me from a Sens fan

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:20 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
That's low

Taking a shot at our weakness but then again it doesn't surprise me from a Sens fan
If he was taking a shot at the leafs, he wouldn't need to be that accurate, Think atomic bomb vs a mouse.

Poking fun at the leafs suckiness is the proverbial hot dog down the hallway.

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Cappo40*

Quote:
I'd take Grabs over Foligno ANY DAY..

I think OTT would have to throw in another Prospect or Pick for this to be considered..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
As of right now, Grabovski > Foligno.

Grabs, actual potential to be a 2nd line player.

At the end of this season, it could be Grabovski<<< Foligno. Grabs will finally get great ice time that he could never get in Montreal. So, it's do, or die for him, in all honesty.

As for the deal, I think LA could get better, as well.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
As of right now, Grabovski > Foligno.

Grabs, actual potential to be a 2nd line player.

At the end of this season, it could be Grabovski<<< Foligno. Grabs will finally get great ice time that he could never get in Montreal. So, it's do, or die for him, in all honesty.

As for the deal, I think LA could get better, as well.
If that were the case, Montreal would never have traded him.

Don't tell me it's because you have too much depth either.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
He wasn't asking for Kopitar.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...ick_o_sullivan

Quote:
Over the course of his OHL career, O’Sullivan has earned many player of the week nods, he was invited to the 2003 CHL Top Prospects Game, he’s been an all-star, and he led the IceDogs in scoring in all three years with the team, easily making it to the franchise leader in all offensive categories.

He attended the Wild training camp in 2003 but was an early cut. He was given instruction by Lemaire and the Wild starting then and he showed a noticeable increase in maturity over the course of the 2003-04 season. The highlight seemed to be his two-goal performance, including the game winner, in the final game of the World Junior Championships in Helsinki, Finland.

The IceDogs eventually double shifted him at even strength most games along with assigning him to first power play and penalty killing units. The bigger the game the better O’Sullivan seems to play, and he thrives on a leadership role.

The picture is not all rosy, however, as O’Sullivan has taken too many penalties, often retaliatory, throughout his hockey career.
Looks to me like a feisty player that has always led his teams in scoring and come up big in the clutch, and has increasingly developed the side of his game that makes him a leader as well.

But no, you're right - they didn't ask for Kopitar.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
they must smoke some really REALLY REALLY good CRACK up there in Senatorville. A Proven NHL player for a cant hack it prospect, a cant hack it on D or O and a 2nd. Makes sense.

I would rather keep and develop Foligno, then bring O'Sullivan in.

Foligno is a cross between a Fisher and a Ruutu, will be one of the top agitators in the game when his development is done.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
That's low

That's low?

Low would be saying your team is stuck in quicksand and will be for the next 5 years, have fun watching them

And Grabovski does have better offensive potential than Foligno but his defensive game, his gritty play, his toughness, his aggravation and his bloodlines make him a lot better. Although Grabovski is clearly better offensively

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

O'Sullivan would be a good pick-up for Ottawa while the other 2 players would add depth to L.A., so good deal for both sides.

09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I think its an alright offer actually. Foligno and O'Sullivan are similar players (O'Sullivan being better though). Schubert switched to Kelly and than L.A might think twice.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:43 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

O'Sullivan should get 2.7 - 3.3 for two years. After that, he will still be a RFA and can be adequately assessed as to whether or not he deserves a 5 year, 5 - 6 per extension well into his UFA years.

I don't understand what's so hard.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote