HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
Question, if Nedved is signed what money do you think he would be offered and what do you think he expects?
if he is deemed ready.....I would not pay more than 600-750.000 for him...

Old
09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
The problem of course is that Scott Gomez isn't a 1st line center but he's treated as such. Drury is the best 3rd line Center in the game and is being played in the top 6. Sather over payed by a lot for both of them and the talent in the system is going to suffer bc of it...

I have been saying this ever since the acquisition.....somebody here argued that naslund will play better because he will be paired up with Gomez instead of Sedin when I argued Naslund was in steep decline despite having a great center like Sedin to play with.

The proof is in the pudding......last year rookie Duby displaced Gomez from the top center spot just because he was more adept playing with Jagr. Does this lead me to believe that Gomez will be great playing with Naslund......of course not! Like last year they will be looking for each other until November when we are 15 points adrift.

So in a very complicated way having nedved around as a very inexpensive and soft option to have an offensively skilled winger/center as cover is not such a bad idea.

still I reckon Slats will not admit he screwed up signing Gomez and Drury to these
whopping contracts and Nedved will return to Liberec.

Old
09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
eco's bones

I wouldn't say that Gomez isn't a 1st line center but he is a bit of a reach there. He is a mediocre 1st line center. There are probably in the neighborhood of 20 more better offensive centers in the league. As for Drury he's not much of a set up guy--he's a shoot first center. Either can play in the slots they have but neither will be a league standout. It will help both of them a lot though if Dubinsky and the line he centers can be a legit threat. It would help also if the 4th line can be dangerous. If the Rangers can get balanced scoring throughout all their lines then teams will not be able to focus all their efforts just on stopping Drury and Gomez. It may be the best way to go to have a 4th line center with scoring skills.

Old
09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dubinsky should be getting groomed to be the #1 center on this team. He has all the tools. I just hope that they know when to bump Dubinsky over Gomez for good when the time comes.

Old
09-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I wouldn't say that Gomez isn't a 1st line center but he is a bit of a reach there. He is a mediocre 1st line center. There are probably in the neighborhood of 20 more better offensive centers in the league. As for Drury he's not much of a set up guy--he's a shoot first center. Either can play in the slots they have but neither will be a league standout. It will help both of them a lot though if Dubinsky and the line he centers can be a legit threat. It would help also if the 4th line can be dangerous. If the Rangers can get balanced scoring throughout all their lines then teams will not be able to focus all their efforts just on stopping Drury and Gomez. It may be the best way to go to have a 4th line center with scoring skills.
bingo! But neither Gomez and Drury are go to guys for scoring.

Old
09-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Dubinsky should be getting groomed to be the #1 center on this team. He has all the tools. I just hope that they know when to bump Dubinsky over Gomez for good when the time comes.
Frankly I agree but maybe grooming starts with 3rd line duties?

Old
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think that's fair. if Nedved just wanted to win a paycheck, I bet he could earn more in the KHL without having to try-out for more money.
How is that not fair?

Why should we think Nedved will play any different then he has over the past few years if he gets a contract? Lazy, soft, uninterested hockey.

Because he played a very uptempo game with an NHL contract on the line means he's going to all of a sudden play like that if he gets a contract, play like hes 25 again every game and every shift like he was yesterday?

At his age..he's not changing the way he plays...and Sather would be a fool to think the Nedved he saw yesterday, would be the Nedved he signs.

Old
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
DontStepanMe

i still think that any nedved would make this team better than Betts as a 4c. Would Nedved be my first choice probably not but, Ani isn't completely ready yet, and Korps is better suited for Wing (although he can play center).

Old
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Gotta admit, I laughed really hard when Nedveds first shift he takes the puck over the blueline and goes offsides, classic Nedved.

But it was a nice goal he had later and he didnt seem to look out of place against a weak Ottawa squad. Not sure he's won anything yet though.

Old
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Gomez is being underrated here.

Over the last 3 years Gomez is 24th in the league in points (235 GP, 214 points).

And 12th in assists over the last 3 years (152 A).

Is he Thornton or Lecavalier? No. But to say he is a mediocre first line center is way off base.

There are 30 teams in the league. He is at least the 10th best center in the league.

Also, this is not about having the best center n the league, it is about constructing the right team.

You have to overpay for EVERYONE on the market.

Gomez is a 70+ point guy.

Old
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
i still think that any nedved would make this team better than Betts as a 4c. Would Nedved be my first choice probably not but, Ani isn't completely ready yet, and Korps is better suited for Wing (although he can play center).
Does Nedved penalty kill, does he block shots, is he as good in the faceoff circle as Betts? No.

There are roles to be filled on this team, and taking an aging, washed up, former 2nd line center and sticking him on the 4th line does not "make this team better"

Old
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The point with Nedved is as follows: if he plays the way he played tonight...skating well, and creating chances offensively...he fits what Renney is preaching to a tee. He also allows Renney to move Dubinsky up to the top six, and move Drury to the wing.
Totally agree... Nedved playing well makes this team a deeper offensive team. It also accomplishes two other things that will probably work out well. Dubi should be a 2nd line player because he is playing like it and Drury would do VERY well with Gomez.

Plus, Voros showed something along with Nedved and could easily play on Nedved's wing on the 3rd line.

Nedved is also motivated... And it's not like he's finished either. The guy has something left and thankfully Renney realizes that.

Old
09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Over the last 3 years Gomez is 24th in the league in points (235 GP, 214 points).

Is he Thornton or Lecavalier? No. But to say he is a mediocre first line center is way off base.

There are 30 teams in the league. He is at least the 10th best center in the league.

Also, this is not about having the best center n the league, it is about constructing the right team.

Gomez is a 70 point guy--not an 80 point guy. Within the division Crosby, Malkin, Briere are better offensive players. Within the conference adding the unsigned Sundin, Savard, Eric Staal, LeCavalier, Washington's Backstrom, Spezza are IMO all better players. Arguably Mike Richards, Pominville, Patrice Bergeron are on a par. That's just the East. Now you may argue for Gomez over someone like Savard or even Backstrom but Savard is an 80+ guy and Backstrom is only 20 years old. Gomez would be nowhere near my top 10.

Old
09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Nedved has was the best player on the ice last night and has been great in camp and it doesnt matter. Renney doesn't reward play (see nigal dawes last season)

Parentau has been a point a game guy at every level he's ever played. He will score 60 points for SOMEONE ELSE bc again, Renney does not reward the best players with ice time. The problem of course is that Scott Gomez isn't a 1st line center but he's treated as such. Drury is the best 3rd line Center in the game and is being played in the top 6. Sather over payed by a lot for both of them and the talent in the system is going to suffer bc of it...
I agree with all of that!

Old
09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Does Nedved penalty kill, does he block shots, is he as good in the faceoff circle as Betts? No.

There are roles to be filled on this team, and taking an aging, washed up, former 2nd line center and sticking him on the 4th line does not "make this team better"
Penalty Kill? Check
Face Offs? Check
Blocking Shots? Maybe if he gets into the way by accident lol

Nedved>Betts

Also I dont know why but I really want to see a line with Prucha/Nedved/Paranteau in the next game or two.

Old
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Do you think Michael Nylander is a true first line center? I don't and Gomez is a younger Nylander. Thier game is almost identical.

Old
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

I believe nedved does kill penalties. and he isn't bad at faceoff circles. and by the way i believe Betts was under 50% last year in faceoffs, so it isn't like he is a god at taking faceoffs.

also w/ Pking we have Drury, Gomez, Cally, Fritsche, Nedved, Dubi started to, and if Korps and Sjo make the team they also pk. Not like we are doomed.

Old
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Fletch

Betts is OK on faceoffs. I think his numbers were inflated in years past because he mostly went against fourth liners with not-so-great PK abilities. He faced touger competition for a while last season and at one point I believe he was around 46-47%. It increased as his play against top lines lessened. Nedved was always decent at faceoffs.

Old
09-23-2008, 03:03 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Gomez is a 70 point guy--not an 80 point guy. Within the division Crosby, Malkin, Briere are better offensive players. Within the conference adding the unsigned Sundin, Savard, Eric Staal, LeCavalier, Washington's Backstrom, Spezza are IMO all better players. Arguably Mike Richards, Pominville, Patrice Bergeron are on a par. That's just the East. Now you may argue for Gomez over someone like Savard or even Backstrom but Savard is an 80+ guy and Backstrom is only 20 years old. Gomez would be nowhere near my top 10.
Every single one of those players either resigned with their respective team or will resign soon. It's not like we had the opportunity to just yank off their team or something. The only one who is comparable is Briere, since he was also a UFA. He's obviously a better goal scorer, but both players had about the same amount of points last season.

Yes both Drury and Gomez are being overpaid, but we had no depth at the time and basically needed to overpay for these players. If you look at our options at the time, and consider the fact that Sather still wanted to go for the Cup, it was pretty much our only choice. Can't see what else we could have done, unless signing no one and then tanking is what you were hoping for.

Now we have Dubinksy who could possibly take over as first line center at some point, but even that is hugely questionable. Anisimov is still about a year away from the NHL.

It is still hard to look at these contracts without squirming a little bit, and no one is going to disagree with that. The Rangers can only hope now that the cap goes up again and that these two players have good seasons

Old
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
MrZ123

Send a message via AIM to MrZ123
I was at the game night.

There is no question Petr Nedved was the most impressive Ranger on the ice (and this was my first time seeing Naslund play).

Not only did he have a goal, he also hit the post, and had about 4 other scoring chances, one or more of which could easily have gone in.

This guy has heart and skill, and seeing him play last night, and play damn well, makes me say that if they don't at least give him a chance during the season, they are making a big mistake.

Let Nedved play this year and let the 18 year old rookies mature at the farm. Then next year bring in a young gun.

Old
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
nedved did look great last night i want to see how he does in the remainder of the preseason but if he plays like that and we sign him to a contract if he doenst play well we can always put him on waivers.. the last time he was on waivers with the flyers he cleared and went to the phantoms

Old
09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
So true. I really would not want to see him on the third line this year. We KNOW he can play first line, and I think he will be fine without Jagr. Dubi really seems to create his own space very well, with or without Jagr.

Never though we would be complaining about having too MANY centers on this team, especially at the end of the 06-07 season (prior to the signings).

That said, Nedved is playing good hockey now. But what's to say that he will keep it up? Should we be replacing a comparable younger player for him? As far as we know, he could be playing hard now just for the paycheck and roster spot, and after that....

Old
09-23-2008, 04:16 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
but if he doesnt do well we can always waive him

Old
09-23-2008, 04:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Every single one of those players either resigned with their respective team or will resign soon. It's not like we had the opportunity to just yank off their team or something. The only one who is comparable is Briere, since he was also a UFA. He's obviously a better goal scorer, but both players had about the same amount of points last season.

Yes both Drury and Gomez are being overpaid, but we had no depth at the time and basically needed to overpay for these players. If you look at our options at the time, and consider the fact that Sather still wanted to go for the Cup, it was pretty much our only choice. Can't see what else we could have done, unless signing no one and then tanking is what you were hoping for.

Now we have Dubinksy who could possibly take over as first line center at some point, but even that is hugely questionable. Anisimov is still about a year away from the NHL.

It is still hard to look at these contracts without squirming a little bit, and no one is going to disagree with that. The Rangers can only hope now that the cap goes up again and that these two players have good seasons

the question though wasn't about the availability or the cost of bringing in any of those centers I mentioned as better. I responded to a post claiming that Gomez was among the top 1st line centers (top 10 even) in the league--the response coming after I said he was a stretch as a 1st line center.

And not to get me wrong I think Scott is a very good player but he is nowhere near being an elite player.

It all cropped up as regards the Rangers moving Betts and going with Nedved as a 4th line center giving the team maybe 4 lines that score--taking pressure off Gomez and Drury to be something they aren't--elite players. I don't think that it's necessarily a bad idea if Nedved can live up to that. Judging from the very small sample of last nights game it looks like maybe that's something to consider. I don't think there's too many who would say he didn't look good last night. In any case I don't believe either Petr or Blair can count on being with the team next season. Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky and I'm guessing Anisimov will be our 4 centers.

Old
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
edtezky

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
typical Ranger fan super quick overreaction. Where are the "Del Zotto will be on the opening night roster! Who should we trade?!??!???!!!!!1" threads?
lolol

Closed Thread