HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Male and Female cats indoors

Old
09-23-2008, 03:13 AM
ThatOneGuy*

vCash: 500
Male and Female cats indoors

Anyone have or had a male and a female cat living in the same house? I plan on having the female spayed. Long story short, I have a male cat, who seems to be lonely. All he does is run around and meow loudly. We had another male cat that died of old age.

Can I expect our male to pee all over the house if a female is brought in? Should I get him fixed to?

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:31 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I would probably get both BROKEN. Having a non-broken male cat hanging around a broken Female cat might create some funny scenarios and youtube videos but It's probably not good for the stability of the house.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

snip 'em both and you'll have a harmonious *****-filled home in no time.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Anyone have or had a male and a female cat living in the same house? I plan on having the female spayed. Long story short, I have a male cat, who seems to be lonely. All he does is run around and meow loudly. We had another male cat that died of old age.

Can I expect our male to pee all over the house if a female is brought in? Should I get him fixed to?
My roommate had a male and female cat... but they were different breeds. They were both spayed/neutered/whatever, and they both hated each other.

Actually, the only time they hung out together was when they were fighting for food, or hiding from me. They wouldn't even playfight together.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Johnny Law

Who knows ? Cats like people don't always get along.

Your male cat is more likely to spray as it is one of their primary methods of territory marking. If you get him fixed you can basically forget about spraying being an issue.

Unless he is real laid back they aren't going to get along right away and he will probably try to get a little rough. Separate them with a spray bottle as the vet is expensive. Make sure you have separate food dishes and litter boxes and eventually they will work something out.

Most likely if he is meowing he is trying to get your attention. Cat to cat communication is mostly nonverbal. Humans suck at nonverbal communication so cats meow, make sure he isn't sick and then figure out what he wants. For most cats its on of the big four food, poop, water, and play.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Get them both fixed.

But when you get the second cat, make sure they are separated from each other (different rooms) so they can get used to each other's scent. After about two weeks, you can begin to integrate the two.

09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Growing up we had both and had them all fixed ... I definitely would snip the male.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:05 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I would have them both fixed. we have a male and two females and didn't want to take a chance with spraying etc and have had no problem.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Dude, don't get him snipped! That stuff can get you high, like really really high.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Admiral*

My cousin has like 8 cats for some reason. He brought in a male cat one day and had 3 non-spayed females in the house. As you can probably figure out, the male had his happy time with all of them and give him about 12 or so kittens.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
My cousin has like 8 cats for some reason. He brought in a male cat one day and had 3 non-spayed females in the house. As you can probably figure out, the male had his happy time with all of them and give him about 12 or so kittens.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM
BBFan

I have a male & a female and both are in neutral. They get along fine though the female (who is older) gets irritated sometimes when he wants to play.

The key with a male is get him fixed before he gets into the marking of his territory etc phase of life. Otherwise it won't matter if he's fixed or not, he will spray etc etc.

BBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Dude, don't get him snipped! That stuff can get you high, like really really high.

...yeah, we're talking Major Boobage high here!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote