HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Streaming links now officially allowed!

Old
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
zaius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
http://www.justin.tv/rangers05fan

Best place for streaming live games. live chat too.
beautiful. i love that it streams in the browser and not on an independent windows only program!

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Okay what is this streaming and is it legal? I won't be able to get my center ice so is this an actual 2nd option? Are there any charges involved? Sorry guys but i'm new to this streaming stuff. Any info would be great.
Yes it's free, but is it a viable alternative to center ice? It's up to you.. coverage of games is spotty, and the quality is generally not good.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Okay what is this streaming and is it legal? I won't be able to get my center ice so is this an actual 2nd option? Are there any charges involved? Sorry guys but i'm new to this streaming stuff. Any info would be great.
1. Streaming is watching a live feed(video/audio) of a program(in this case, an NYR game).
2. Legal.
3. Yes because even though the quality may be a bit worse than CIO, you get home game broadcasts.
4. No charges. Just need internet.

That site streams every game live and there is also a live chat.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Yes it's free, but is it a viable alternative to center ice? It's up to you.. coverage of games is spotty, and the quality is generally not good.
Drumez thank you for answering. So you can watch the games for free on the internet huh? Well to be honest if that is the case I have no idea why there is evne a center ice. I will give it a shot (I have no other options) so lets see how good it is. But to be able for the first time to watch some CHL games and college is what i'm most pumped about. I couldn't do that with center ice.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
1. Streaming is watching a live feed(video/audio) of a program(in this case, an NYR game).
2. Legal.
3. Yes because even though the quality may be a bit worse than CIO, you get home game broadcasts.
4. No charges. Just need internet.

That site streams every game live and there is also a live chat.
Thank for the info. I won't need to watch the Rangers online, I get my MSG. I am more interested in the out of market games, college, and CHL. Anyway we can get KHL or other Euro leagues?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Thank for the info. I won't need to watch the Rangers online, I get my MSG. I am more interested in the out of market games, college, and CHL. Anyway we can get KHL or other Euro leagues?
http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?...line=icehockey

You have to install a program such as Sopcast, and configure the settings using this method:http://www.myp2pforum.eu/sopcast/11734-sopcast-vlc.html.

That method worked the best for me.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Remember, live streaming over the Internet is dependent on a person having a TV-card in his/her computer and the appropriate software and bandwidth to share with us.
Low bandwidth = poor quality (but much better than nothing at all...)

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Levitate

I really don't think you can say it's legal...unless the NHL is giving people permission to provide these streams, then it's just not legal. There's a reason hfboards used to ban for posting them

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I really don't think you can say it's legal...unless the NHL is giving people permission to provide these streams, then it's just not legal. There's a reason hfboards used to ban for posting them
Check the Buffaloed quote in post #3 in this thread...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Quote:
Well it is basically legal when you scan the topic more closely. The streamer is paying for cable and therefore paying to watch the game. They are just streaming the games to their computers. One can argue that the streamer doesn't own a separate monitor for their TV or both the TV/PC share the monitor. If it was illegal, then Slingbox would definitely be illegal. Also Windows Media Station(or w/e it's called) allows you to record TV from your connected cable box and save it on to your PC. Would Microsoft allow their hardware to do something illegal? Definitely not.

And let's say you argue that it being a live stream makes it illegal, one can say the user is storing/streaming to an internet service which specifically state in their T&C that it is perfectly legal.

Old
09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
samash

Quote:

I'd have to agree with that.

samash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:17 PM
zaius

Quote:
If someone was selling subscriptions to view these streams or recording them and selling it. yes it'd be illegal. but thats not the case.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
you can watch every QMJHL game for free and some NCAA games for free here:

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/
Thanks! Now if only I could get the AHL, OHL, and WHL and I'll be set!

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Check the Buffaloed quote in post #3 in this thread...
Buffaloed doesn't speak for the NHL. All he's saying is that moderators on official team boards aren't banning it, so he's not going to ban it on here. He even still refers to them as illegal.

Quote:
Well it is basically legal when you scan the topic more closely. The streamer is paying for cable and therefore paying to watch the game. They are just streaming the games to their computers. One can argue that the streamer doesn't own a separate monitor for their TV or both the TV/PC share the monitor. If it was illegal, then Slingbox would definitely be illegal. Also Windows Media Station(or w/e it's called) allows you to record TV from your connected cable box and save it on to your PC. Would Microsoft allow their hardware to do something illegal? Definitely not.

And let's say you argue that it being a live stream makes it illegal, one can say the user is storing/streaming to an internet service which specifically state in their T&C that it is perfectly legal.
Since you're distributing it to other people, that's pretty much what makes it illegal. You know how all the broadcasts say that any unauthorized reproduction, blah blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaius View Post
If someone was selling subscriptions to view these streams or recording them and selling it. yes it'd be illegal. but thats not the case.
Nah. Since the NHL is offering a per pay product that's essentially the same thing (streaming NHL games over the Internet), they've created a legitimate market and these free games being streamed by unauthorized sources are essentially undercutting that market. And since the NHL owns all the broadcast rights to these games...

This reminds me of all the contortions people try to go through to justify pirating music instead of paying for CDs (or authorized MP3's).

I ultimately don't really care, personally, but I can't see any way that this is legal. Maybe if I get the motivation (and can find an e-mail address), I'll e-mail the NHL and ask.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:

This link should be stickied.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

any good streaming sights for mobile applications???

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:23 PM
frozenrubber

Many here in this thread are misunderstanding HFBoards position in no longer banning posts related to non-NHL sanctioned internet video streams.

Everyone must understand, viewing internet streams when you haven't paid for the service in either NHL online CenterIce or the cable subscription streaming the video (ie. a Slingbox in your own home) is illegal.

As everyone knows, "illegal" has many different degrees. And if you are wondering, it lies more in the semantics grey area, but illegal nonetheless. However, unlike in the RIAA/MPAA copyright infringement cases, if the NHL and sports cable networks were to take action, they would mostly certainly take action against the providers of the stream, not the viewers.

If you enjoy these internet streams, there are two things you can do to ensure they will continue to exist for those in need.

1) Discretion. The sooner the NHL and networks see this as encroaching on their viewership, they will crack down and crack down hard on the providers. In respect to the great effort and time that people devote to providing these services, keep excessive posts about streaming sites to a minimum. Even though HF has relaxed their policy, partly because I assume they haven't received static from the media providers, the whole internet streaming issue is still in a precarious legal situation. Sticky a few of the main providers, but limit streaming posts to limit exposure. If other services exist, FEEL FREE TO SHARE, but use the PM system to help out other fans. Less of a paper trail should allow this to exist much longer than if we scream it from the mountain tops.

2) Subscribe. This may sound cold or difficult for some, but if you have access to games, purchase the service necessary to see them. Everyone can come up with some sob story or another, but if you have the ability to get the games, just get the service. If you are within the MSG broadcast range, purchase the cable subscription. If you can get CenterIce on DirectTV, buy it. Recently, the NHL now offers a legal streaming site of it's own. If you are out of the broadcast service area, purchase the NHL online product.

Internet streaming is a wonderful source to catch up the occasional game when you're out of town or have no other option, so let's keep these video services available for these reasons.

If we are all responsible in using and not abusing Internet video streaming, these services will be available for the foreseeable future.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:11 PM
nyrmetros

bump

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote