HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

GDT--PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins--7:30 pm EST, Sep. 24/08

Old
09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Tlusty will do better when he gets a feel for which guys have stone hands - like Mayers - so he can shoot on breaks like that

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Sergei Berezin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsIn7 View Post
Still early but...

Looked good: Luke Schenn, Niklas Hagman
Unspectacular but I see the potential: Kulemin, Tlusty, J. Mitchell
Gritty but looking like an AHL defenseman: Frogren
Good most of the time but taking too much punishment: Stralman
Did a few things but looked weak on the puck: Van Ryn, Grabovski
Can't quite keep up with his faster linemates: Steen
Surprisingly good on faceoffs: Jamal Mayers
Most definitely does not look like a 1st line center: Antropov
Nothing but AHL fodder: Stapleton, Newbury, Boumedienne
Perhaps his best game as a Leaf: Blake
I'd have to say that frogren wasn't THAT bad, and I really think that Stapleton will get another look on a more offensive line as I can see some potential and correct me if im wrong but i believe that RW put him out there as the extra attacker and he played pretty good. Also, i thought that Tlusty was prettty darn good by the end of the game. I was dissapointed with Antropov but he did get better as the game went as was the case for most Leafs. I was however the most dissapointed with Poni, he just was makin bad plays, tryin to dangle through 2 defenders when he clearly doesn't have any hands and should've passed it off or dumped the puck but instead caused a turnover. Grabovski got tougher as the game went on - seemed very timid at the start. Can't blame Pogge for any of the goals. Schenn isn't ready for the NHL physically IMO. Hagman played very well and impressed me; he has better hands than i thought and also showed he has a bullet. Blake was playin with a chip in his shoulder ever since he got rocked and did, indeed, play very well. John Mitchell was by far the most impressive player for me, if he doesnt make the Leafs or at least get a few games with the big team, not only will I be surprised but also dissapointed. Boumedienne is by no means an NHL calibre defencemen. Steen seemed uncomfortable, almost like he didn't want to be there, as the second line centre, but I dont think he played bad by any standards. Van Ryn wasn't bad at all either, he showed good signs of vision on the ice. Kulemin has continued to show he's gettin more comfortable and showed a flash of what to expect late in the third, I'm expecting more of that in the coming weeks. Mayers was...Mayers. As a team, the Leafs started really slow, yet by the third they really got it together, and idk if the Pens just decided not to play or what, but the Leafs kept them hemmed in the zone for the better part of the period. They are still, however taking a lot of lazy and bad penalties.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Malkin is fantastic. People don't forget Leafs just played a SC finalist. even w/o Sindy they are awesome. Malkin can beat the Leafs by himself.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
The guy was invisible out there. I know it's still early, but so far I'm not impressed.
I disagree. He's a smart player, he's got an active stick and forced some turnovers tonight. His forecheck on the defender directly led to Grabovski's goal.

Invisible in terms of flashy plays, but he was responsible defensively and contributed in more ways than just scoring.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:48 PM
LeafsIn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Penguins scored on Pogge.
It's sad that you were so hyped about correcting me that you completely missed the point.

LeafsIn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
BrianR7

k i dont understand how some ppl seem to easily say kuleman and MVR who one has never played in NA and the other played alot of hockey and is still getting his feet wet. Same with frogran how can u say he is a ahl d man after one game in NA common. Yet always stand by stralman who played like crap costing us two goals tonight but i noticed someone saying he was on of our best d man tonight and an other having him on our top pair but if it was someone like white who had a game like that he would've got bashed left and right on this forum. like common lets be fair and understanding now

BrianR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Also, is it pronounced cool or cull at the start of his name?
i dont know how he spells it, to be honest

but here what i can make out is...

KOOL-??-MIN

ive heard russian guys on here say its "koolyomin" but, im not sure since i cant make out the text

its "KOOL" and not "CULL" for sure though

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
First 2 periods weren't the best. 3rd was much better.

Leafer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Cool+Lemon

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Still early but...

Most definitely does not look like a 1st line center: Antropov

maybe because he was playing on the wing???

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
yea its KoolYOmin.. not kOOlemin

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
HellasLEAF
I want Capt'n Crunch

Schenn - I am a little shocked at the praise he is getting. he was good not great. he looked pretty slow at times on the puck and in general making a few errors. good overall but still not using his size as an asset really. some good heads up plays and good on the boards. not NHL ready by any stretch based on these last two games.

Kulemin - a long road ahead before we see the player we have been hoping for. but his linemates in both games haven't done him much favours either.

Van Ryn - average. cant wait to get him off the books really.

Grabovski - good hands. time will tell. not a force out there

Antropov - good and average. Poni too.

Stralman - blew a tire but looked good.

Pogge - good performace. not a single goal was his fault.

Mayers - did his job well.

Tlusty - looks really smooth on the ice

Steener - going through the motions it seams.

overall a really poor performance from the whole group. there is such an obvious difference between the two clubs right now and it shows.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Cool+Lemon

Old
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Tlusty will do better when he gets a feel for which guys have stone hands - like Mayers - so he can shoot on breaks like that
That was the exact same spot he scored his first NHL goal from.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's sad that you were so hyped about correcting me that you completely missed the point.
I didn't correct you. As far as I know you were correct. Were you wrong?

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Reading through this thread really makes me sick.

#1: We all know this team isn't loaded with skill.

#2: It's the second game of the pre-season.

#3: This squad has players seeing their first game action.

#4: Players like Kulemin, Frogren, etc.. Are new to the NHL style of play. Give them a chance to get it going.

#5: We're facing a Pittsburgh team that is nearly their regular roster.

I'm thinking the mods are going to have a hell of a time this year in the GDT's.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagerbomb View Post
I'd have to say that frogren wasn't THAT bad, and I really think that Stapleton will get another look on a more offensive line as I can see some potential and correct me if im wrong but i believe that RW put him out there as the extra attacker and he played pretty good. Also, i thought that Tlusty was prettty darn good by the end of the game. I was dissapointed with Antropov but he did get better as the game went as was the case for most Leafs. I was however the most dissapointed with Poni, he just was makin bad plays, tryin to dangle through 2 defenders when he clearly doesn't have any hands and should've passed it off or dumped the puck but instead caused a turnover. Grabovski got tougher as the game went on - seemed very timid at the start. Can't blame Pogge for any of the goals. Schenn isn't ready for the NHL physically IMO. Hagman played very well and impressed me; he has better hands than i thought and also showed he has a bullet. Blake was playin with a chip in his shoulder ever since he got rocked and did, indeed, play very well. John Mitchell was by far the most impressive player for me, if he doesnt make the Leafs or at least get a few games with the big team, not only will I be surprised but also dissapointed. Boumedienne is by no means an NHL calibre defencemen. Steen seemed uncomfortable, almost like he didn't want to be there, as the second line centre, but I dont think he played bad by any standards. Van Ryn wasn't bad at all either, he showed good signs of vision on the ice. Kulemin has continued to show he's gettin more comfortable and showed a flash of what to expect late in the third, I'm expecting more of that in the coming weeks. Mayers was...Mayers. As a team, the Leafs started really slow, yet by the third they really got it together, and idk if the Pens just decided not to play or what, but the Leafs kept them hemmed in the zone for the better part of the period. They are still, however taking a lot of lazy and bad penalties.

I agree with everything here.
Schenn looks good positionally, but he really needs more time before making the jump.
For all the gaffs in the first two periods, and shoddy defensive positioning and penalties galore, a 3-2 loss isn't that bad at ALL! especially considering how 3 of those goals came about. And the onslaught at the end of the game was a really good sign, grit, and determination and all that.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Thats what the preseason is for
may take longer then that.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Grabovski hasn't made the team yet, unless you know something.

I think that he should try John Mitchell there, just to see what happens.
Your still holding on to that dream aren't you

Even if Grabs begins firing pucks over Toskala's shoulder (ala McCabe) he's still on starting day roster and IMO on the top two lines.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Reading through this thread really makes me sick.

#1: We all know this team isn't loaded with skill.

#2: It's the second game of the pre-season.

#3: This squad has players seeing their first game action.

#4: We're facing a Pittsburgh team that is nearly their regular roster.

I'm thinking the mods are going to have a hell of a time this year in the GDT's.

I don't know but I saw some good things tonight.

Potential showing in:

Tlusty, Kulemin, Frogren, Mitchell, Schenn

However, as you point out it is extremely early in camp, so we hope players like Van Ryn and Steen are just out of sync.

After 2 games I'd be going with in no particular order:

Antropov, Ponikarovski, Hagman
Kulemin, Mitchell, Moore
Hollweg, Stajan, Blake
Tlusty, Bell, Grabovski
Steen

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Are people watching the same game I did?
I thought he looked real good out there.

Showed his speed quite a bit, nade some plays out of nothing. What more can you ask of a kid?

I was very impressed with Pogge tonight. His rebound control especially.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Metallian*

okay, wikipedia says "Кулёмын"

the picture i showed has no ы after the M.

ё (yo) is generally acceptable to be spelled with a normal 'e' in Russia, though the dictionary correct form would be with the 'yo'

example, Gorbachev is spelled with the e and everyone knows how to pronounce Mickey's name as such, but the correct spelling is really with a 'yo' (Gorbachyov). either way we have it pretty close

Old
09-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Metallian*

nevermind guys, found the official website. russian guys on this site are either full of crap or going by the wiki page or something, but the OFFICIAL metallurg website lists him as:

Кулемин
http://www.metallurg.ru/base/player/3209/

phoenetically that is KOOL-EMIN, case closed

Old
09-24-2008, 10:17 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Schenn - I am a little shocked at the praise he is getting. he was good not great.
If you temper that with the reality that he is an 18 year old kid who has just played his 2nd pro game ever, especially against some of the world's best players, then it's hard to not be impressed by how he did out there.

Everything is relative.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Also, Schenn is not the type of player that makes you jump out of your seat. Not often, at least. Maybe if he rocks someone, then yeah.

He's a defensive defenseman. Something we're not used to in Toronto. Not lately.

But it's often said that as a defenceman; when you're not singled out, you're having a good game.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote