HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT--PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins--7:30 pm EST, Sep. 24/08

Old
09-24-2008, 11:21 PM
LTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cob View Post
If you temper that with the reality that he is an 18 year old kid who has just played his 2nd pro game ever, especially against some of the world's best players, then it's hard to not be impressed by how he did out there.

Everything is relative.
Agreed.

Every doubter out there will be eating those comments in two years AND for the next 10-15 after that.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
If you temper that with the reality that he is an 18 year old kid who has just played his 2nd pro game ever, especially against some of the world's best players, then it's hard to not be impressed by how he did out there.

Everything is relative.
Exactly. He was good, not great. But the fact that we forget hes the only 18 year old out there is a testiment to his play.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Its KoolYomin. Both Wiki sux and I bet that whomever wrote that for mettalurg was drunk.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:22 PM
LC

vCash: 50
My take:

Frogren - He is a dump truck out there. Not agile, but tough and steady. Still may need some adjustment but I'm not expecting anything more that a third pairing guy.

Tlusty - He is fast, agile, big, tough, has good hands, shot, and vision. There isn't really anything I don't like about him. He has really stepped it up from last year.

Schenn - Agree with Eazy about his stickhandling in close when pressure is on. It does remind me of Lidstrom, in that he can hold off one guy, then stickhandle around another to clear the zone. He also makes some pretty good outlet passes. He seems to move laterally fairly well considering his size, and recovers well. But I think sending him back to Kelowna and letting him win Gold in the WJs will be more beneficial to his development. All in all, can see why he was so highly touted.

Blake - So much better than last year. Seems to enjoy being out on the ice, and being a pest. More of a team player.

Kulemin - Looks like he doesn't really know where he is supposed to be most of the time. There have been three times during the first two games where I've seen him stick handle extremely well but then has seemed invisible for the rest of the game. Looked better with Grabs at the end.

Grabovsky - Although they have been hyping the Poni - Grabs - Antro line for most of preseason, I really don't think they compliment eachother. Grabovsky should be with two of Tlusty/Blake/Kulemin/Hagman. Nice goal at the end, not much to judge as its only the first game.

Stralman - Made some mistakes but its the first game. He is getting his slapshot through more and his wristers. I'm sure we'll see more of his skill once he gets through a few games.

Hagman - Not much needs to be said. Fast and defensively responsible. Can chip in with some offence. Good pickup for 3 mil a year.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Its KoolYomin. Both Wiki sux and I bet that whomever wrote that for mettalurg was drunk.
yeah, the metallurg website is wrong and his jerseys are wrong

ps: wiki agreed with you

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Agreed.

Every doubter out there will be eating those comments in two years AND for the next 10-15 after that.
I'm of the opinion he should go back down to the Dub, but I'm actually really surprised as to how he has handled himself.

He does a lot of little things very well. Looks like Cliffy got us a real player.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Again, it's early..

But I think in order to get all three going:

Poni-Steen-Antropov

And have Kulemin and Grabovski together on a line. Grabovski does not fit at all between Poni and Antropov, IMO.

For fun:

Poni-Steen-Antropov
Tlusty-Grabovski-Kulemin

Or substitute Tlusty with someone else, and have him paired with Blake. They seem alright together, as well.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Has anyone seen any post-game interviews? The sportsnet broadcast had quite a few after the game, and it looks like TSN packed up and left Pits asap.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Kulemin - Looks like he doesn't really know where he is supposed to be most of the time. There have been three times during the first two games where I've seen him stick handle extremely well but then has seemed invisible for the rest of the game. Looked better with Grabs at the end.

Communications?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Anthrax442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
yeah, the metallurg website is wrong and his jerseys are wrong

ps: wiki agreed with you
in Russian lots of times the two dots are dropped above the letter Ё but the meaning remains the same. The don't print Ё on any jerseys.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

McCabe over 30 minutes tonight.

Wonder if they lost a defender?

Old
09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
TheLeafman94

Too early to judge any player too harshly.
Some looked like they were trying too hard to impress and made some mistakes, like Stralman, Frogren,
Ponikarovsky. Hagman was good but also seemed to be trying too hard which led to a few bad plays.
Stapelton was poor.

Kulemin looked good in flashes, he seemed more comfortable in this game the the last.
He seems to be trying too hard to not make mistakes. But I think he will slowly be the player we expect.

Grabovski wasn't great in the Defensive end, but when they needed him to be there like in the final minutes he showed why Fletcher believes in him. He will improve and I like the confidence and skill level it took to score his goal. Thats what game breaker do. He'll take time to develop his defensive game, but it will come.

Schenn was the most solid D we had out there tonight.

Kaberle, Antropov and Steen seemed to be going through the motions until the last half of the third period.

Tlusty for me was their most exciting player out there. He set up a couple of really nice chances that just weren't capitalized on, but he showed speed and a solid drive for the net.

Pogge was solid when he had to be, his shot if properly coached can be an great weapon. Catching the other team in line changes, clearing out dump-ins and such.

I'm actually pleased at the outcome of the game, Pittsburgh didn't beat us, we actually beat ourselves.
All in all the team just looked overwhelmed in the beginning by the reputation of Malkin and company, and seemed confused and nervous. They are breaking in new players some which have never played a game in North America and learning a new defensive system at the same time. When you put things in perspective they actually did quite good.

I actually think they will struggle the first couple of months, but by December I believe we will see the team gel and start to surprise teams. A push towards a playoff spot seems likely.

TheLeafman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
LTL

Quote:
I'm of the opinion he should go back down to the Dub, but I'm actually really surprised as to how he has handled himself.

He does a lot of little things very well. Looks like Cliffy got us a real player.
Playing D at 18-19 against NHL men is very difficult (as I'm sure everyone knows). From what I've seen so far he's well ahead of where I expected him to be when we drafted him.

His issues are confidence based not ability based. A few years of seasoning in juniors and MAYBE the AHL and he'll be solid as a rock once he enters the leafs lineup. Schenn hasn't even started throwing his weight around which is a huge part of his game.

LET'S ALL REMEMBER: Coli at 18 playing exhibition games in Toronto. He was great offensively but his defensive game was terrible. Around the age of 21 there was a noticeable difference in his two way game. If it weren't for his injuries he would be a #2 at the moment without question.

Point being, Schenn's game is defense so in that respect he's already much further ahead of where Coli was at 18 and now look at him.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Vintage93

Tlusty - Wow. This kid could hardly take a pass in some games last year. He has either worked really hard or just found a ton of comfort - most likely both. He has shown more in the first two games than I think he showed all of last year, the speed, strength, shot, confidence and his agility is a ridiculous upgrade. He looks like our best winger out there, but im sure Antro, Blake, and even Poni are ahead of him on Wilson's list. I can hardly wait for the season to see what he is capable of.

At the start of the year I would have been happy with just over 10 goals but now I don't think 20 is too far fetched.

Perhaps we need a urine sample?

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Anthrax442

I still have a little heart atack every time I see #24 handling the puck around the net.

Old
09-25-2008, 12:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I still have a little heart atack every time I see #24 handling the puck around the net.
36 and 24 killed lots of PK tonight, including a successful 5 on 3.

Stralman definitely looks stronger early, so both the kids from last year look stronger this year.

24 with the shoot-out winner in Edmonton.

Old
09-25-2008, 12:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Third period coming up on TSN2.

So which starters were missing from the Penguins line-up?

Old
09-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
in Russian lots of times the two dots are dropped above the letter Ё but the meaning remains the same. The don't print Ё on any jerseys.
i guess so, i did post that too....lol

i dont see e being an unacceptable form though

the wiki was way off with the yankeznyak thing though

Old
09-25-2008, 12:40 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Kaberle 25:14
Stralman 23:28
Schenn 19:08
Boumedienne 18:19
Van Ryn 17:13
Frogren 16:58

9 and 10 minutes special teams respectively for Kaberle and Stralman so a good job of TOI management for the d.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Metallian*

watching the 3rd as well right now on leafs tv

grabo so far looks awesome
antropov seems better than i remember, i think he'll have a good season

of course, this is on limited viewing so far

Old
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Agreed.

So far anyone who has said he isn't "Excellent" is a hater.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Anthrax442

In a lot of cases Russian players try to simplify their names coz of the harsh mispronunciations by foreign media.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
In a lot of cases Russian players try to simplify their names coz of the harsh mispronunciations by foreign media.
i think immigration just handles the translation according to the book

Old
09-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
nevermind guys, found the official website. russian guys on this site are either full of crap or going by the wiki page or something, but the OFFICIAL metallurg website lists him as:

Кулемин
http://www.metallurg.ru/base/player/3209/

phoenetically that is KOOL-EMIN, case closed
It's KOOL-YO-MIN and stop

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:12 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
McCabe over 30 minutes tonight.

Wonder if they lost a defender?
Doesn't look like it. 9:45 of PP time, must be close to a record.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote