HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

McLaren to be traded

Old
09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
He is exactly what we need, a tough, physical, stay-at-home guy that can play 20 mins a night.
Who doesn't need that? But if McLaren is your guy to fill that role, you'll give Garon yet another groin injury.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't want him for free.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I'd take him but you'd have to take Peter Schaefer back in exchange.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
typicaljs

Unless DL knows something I dont, I can't see why the kings wouldn't be interested. I would much rather have McLaren than Schneider. Especially because I'm assuming the left handed veteran D-man DL is looking for would be Doughty's partner. I would much rather have Doughty paired with a hard ass like McLaren than Schneider or Gauthier.

To Kings:
Kyle McLaren
2nd round 09/10 (kings choice)

To Sharks:
4th round picks, 2011 &2012

The Sharks obviously are trying to get rid of McLaren, and don't even want him at training camp to pretend they do and he has some value to them. They give up a 2nd either this or next years, whichever the kings prefer. And in return, in line with DL's policy of trading away or for picks 2 or three years from now DL snickers and offers up 2 consecutive fourth round picks after the 2010 draft. In all seriousness I think the kings offer maybe a 5th and 3 rd or 2 4th's to try and pick up a 2nd or third round pick along with McLaren, sound good ?

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Airborne Troll*

The guy isn't coming to Ottawa for sure unless he has puck-moving skills

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators Master View Post
The guy isn't coming to Ottawa for sure unless he has puck-moving skills
He ables aid the puck get into his own net, does that count?

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I know Schneider was on a big contract but at least he could potentially bring something of value to a franchise. If he had to be waived, I don't see anyone wanting McLaren at $2.5m per to be a bottom pairing blueliner.

I can't help but think that getting any return for him other than 'future considerations' would be a misguided hope for us Sharks fans.

Clearing the cap is fine - waiving him is always an option. But not too many teams will be willing to pay that salary for a farm club player, nor will Sharks ownership.

We're stuck unless someone gets desperate. I'd take anything, frankly - we've shown our hand.
There is a difference. Many more teams can fit a 2.5 million dollar overpayment than a 5.65 million dollar overpayment. Even if the 5.65 gets you a much more useful player.

With Schneider it's more an issue of circumstances, with the few teams having the cap space not having the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
He ables aid the puck get into his own net, does that count?
Chris Phillips agrees with you.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicaljs View Post
Unless DL knows something I dont, I can't see why the kings wouldn't be interested. I would much rather have McLaren than Schneider. Especially because I'm assuming the left handed veteran D-man DL is looking for would be Doughty's partner. I would much rather have Doughty paired with a hard ass like McLaren than Schneider or Gauthier.

To Kings:
Kyle McLaren
2nd round 09/10 (kings choice)

To Sharks:
4th round picks, 2011 &2012

The Sharks obviously are trying to get rid of McLaren, and don't even want him at training camp to pretend they do and he has some value to them. They give up a 2nd either this or next years, whichever the kings prefer. And in return, in line with DL's policy of trading away or for picks 2 or three years from now DL snickers and offers up 2 consecutive fourth round picks after the 2010 draft. In all seriousness I think the kings offer maybe a 5th and 3 rd or 2 4th's to try and pick up a 2nd or third round pick along with McLaren, sound good ?
The Sharks are not going to make a Malakhov-lite type of deal to jettison Kyle McLaren's 2.5 mil cap hit for one season. If no team is willing to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder straight up, then they would be wiser to just send him to the AHL and pay him out for his final season.

Sharks are not going to be giving a 1st or a 2nd in any deal to dump McLaren. Plain and simple.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'd love to see him in Edmonton. He is exactly what we need, a tough, physical, stay-at-home guy that can play 20 mins a night.
At who's expense?

Souray/Visnoski
Grebeshkov / Gilbert
Staios/ Smid
Strudwick

I'm not sure he's a step forward. If we're changing this up it should be for a Schneider type big name.

Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Nope Tampa doesnt do it, they need a number 1 dman, they have plenty of depth defensively, and as it is they have Ranger, Meszaros, Carle, O'Brien, Lundin, Smaby, Wishart, Mihalik, Niskala and Hutchinson all fighting for the 7 spots available. Also in the 2 preseason games so far Jussi Jokinen has been the best player and it is thought that he will become the third line centre while Halpern is out and then move back to wing once he returns. But Ouellet is available for trading if anyone is interested as I dont think anyone knows where he would fit in in tampas plans.
Does the team and management believe this statement, because if that is the case, then they have handled their entire offseason completely wrong. They had a number 1 defenceman, and traded him away for depth. Then they signed a bunch of aging forwards and now they need a #1 dman, and they won't trade JJ because he has been better than Vinny, St Louis, Stamkos etc? My guess is JJ and Oulette both get traded for depth defenceman.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I was in a live chat last week with Steve Zipay, who is the NY Rangers beat writer. I posed this question to him...

"With all of the new additions for the Rangers, they failed to address that the defense still lacks a physical presence. Sather himself touched on this at the end of last season. With the wealth of 3rd and 4th line players already in the syatem do you see them(Rangers) packaging some forwards for a physical defenseman that can knock somebody down?"

His response was a bit of a riddle itself, but he actually mentioned McLaren.

Rangers are almost certain to make a deal relatively soon. But there are literally 13 players or so fighting for the last six spots. But on defense, there is not too much competition at all, nor is there much depth. So the team has plenty of tradable assets. McLaren has a relatively small cap hit 2.5 mil, Rangers are sitting 2mil under the cap now. Plus of course if theyt send some the other way, that salary will be subtracted. Rangers have the following players fighting to make the team, and many of them are RFA's next season.

Orr, Voros, Betts, Fritche, Sjostrom, Korpikoski, Nedved, Callahan, Moore, Byers, Jamtin, Rismiller and Anisimov. Alot to work with there. Point I am making is that the Rangers and Sharks here might be pretty good trading partners.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
ToadFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I was in a live chat last week with Steve Zipay, who is the NY Rangers beat writer...

...response was a bit of a riddle itself, but he actually mentioned McLaren....

...Rangers are almost certain to make a deal relatively soon...

...Orr, Voros, Betts, Fritche, Sjostrom, Korpikoski, Nedved, Callahan, Moore, Byers, Jamtin, Rismiller and Anisimov. Alot to work with there. Point I am making is that the Rangers and Sharks here might be pretty good trading partners.
If there really is potential to deal McLaren to the Rangers, I think the Sharks might be very happy to work something around Korpikoski. Left wing depth is certainly an area where the Sharks could stand to improve. Not sure what would need to be added to either side to balance things out though (if anything).

ToadFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
My guess:

To Tampa Bay for Jussi Jokinen.

Clears some cap space, replaces Mitchell's minutes and makes TB a better squad defensively.

Everyone wins.
Jokinen probably isn't going to be traded at all, more than likely. Hes really impressed in camp and I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

Michel Ouellet for McLaren, I'd do. But not Jokinen for McLaren.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
He doesn't wear the yellow visor anymore
so does that mean his trade value went up?

If Edmonton gets a injury to Smid, Staios or Souray Id love to see Lowe/Tambellini pick him up for next to nothing

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:01 AM
VilleLeino

maxim afinogenov

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWolfe View Post
maxim afinogenov
The Sharks have no cap room

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
maxim afinogenov
Quote:
The Sharks have no cap room
If healthy this year he could put up big numbers IMO. But the cap space is the main reason McLaren would be traded

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
maxim afinogenov
The only way that would work is if it was Maxim Afinogenov for Kyle McLaren and Mike Grier (pending his NTC) or Brad Lukowich. I'd like for the Sharks to make such a deal but not likely to happen given they're over the cap right now by a smidge.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:50 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

How about this trade between San Jose and Florida:

To Florida: Kyle Mclaren, Devin Setoguchi and Patrick Marleau
To San Jose: Jay Bouwmeester, Nathan Horton, a mid level draft pick.

09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post

Patty Marleau has an NTC and will not waive it. Setoguchi and McLaren about = Horton, so you are trading Jaybo and a mid-pick for Marleau.

Also, I think Doug Wilson learned his lesson with Brian Campbell, and the only way he would trade for Jaybo would be if he already had a contract signed and agreed to by both parties before doing the deal.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post

Just take out Horton, and it starts to look okay.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
maxim afinogenov
Woah.....I"m not sure McLaren is worth a 3rd round pick (at the trading deadline - he'll get more than that, but not right now IMHO). Therefore, the Canucks offer a 3rd round pick for Max (that is assuming we still have a 3rd round pick to give).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:02 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Patty Marleau has an NTC and will not waive it. Setoguchi and McLaren about = Horton, so you are trading Jaybo and a mid-pick for Marleau.
So not true.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
So not true.
As far as the Sharks are concerned, it is. That last thing they really need is yet another Center. And while Horton is a very nice young player, he's basically a skilled 2nd-line center, which the Sharks already have 2 in the line-up (Pavelski and Marleau), and 2 prospects due to hit the NHL in the next couple of years (Couture and Zalewski), and Torrey Mitchell who is injured, currently plays the 3rd line, but who could also play a 2nd-line role with no problem. So while Horton's value is high to Florida, his value to the Sharks is much less. The only way Horton has much value for the Sharks is if he can play the LW better than any of their current players in that position (Marleau, Michalek, and possibly Clowe).

Setoguchi is probably still the Sharks top offensive prospect (although he played about half a season last year) and who still put up nearly as many points as Horton did in his first year despite playing in nearly 20 fewer games.

All in all, I'd be fine with leaving Horton and Seto out of the deal, but then it becomes Marleau for Jaybo, and I don't see that happening because of Marleau's NTC and because Jaybo is not signed to a contract that would let the Sharks keep him.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
As far as the Sharks are concerned, it is. That last thing they really need is yet another Center. And while Horton is a very nice young player, he's basically a skilled 2nd-line center
Actually to my knowledge, Horton has mainly played wing in the NHL (due to the needs of the Panthers). Course, the Sharks seem to be pretty decent on the right side as well.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote