Notices

Preseason Opener: Florida Vs Calgary - 7pm

Old
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Hyde

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Sounded like Boyd could really step it up for you guys this year.

For those of you who were lucky enough to go to the game....or even watch the highlights, who were the panther players that had strong games?
How did Frolik and Repik look? I listened to the broadcast and heard Frolik's name a lot but obviously seeing the game live is a totally different perspective.
Goodluck this season. Thanks a lot!
Thanks, I thought that Olesz looked good tonight for the Panthers.

My take on the game tonight for the Flames:

*Backlund - He was okay. Really need to see what what he look likes after a couple more games.
*Negrin - Played an ok game some brain farts but not bad.
*Lundmark - Very, very nice game. He was shooting the puck, using his linemates.
*Bertuzzi - Was OK, he had this one breakaway....oh so close.
*Bourque - Hit everything that was near him. Looked good with Lombardi (which can't be bad). Best Flame of the night IMO.

Those were the guys that I noticed .

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:26 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Post-game notes and quotes

Quote:
Head coach Mike Keenan said he was not concerned with the loss but rather evaluating the players in the line-up.

"It's an evaluation process. It's an opportunity to look at people under game competition," said Keenan.

Quote:
"I feel way better with the puck. It's like night and day," said Boyd, who was a part-time player with the Flames last season.

On Backlund:

Quote:
"I think he held his own for the most part," said Keenan. "He turned the puck over in the defensive zone and showed some inexperience. He showed some great moves and skill, too. It was certainly a challenging game for him playing with two big players like that. I believe players like Mikael deserve a chance to play with players of that calibre."

Quote:
NUMBERS....
Matthew Lombardi, Jamie Lundmark and Dustin Boyd all had five shots on net for the Flames who had a total of 26... Newcomer Rene Bourque led the Flames hit parade with five of the Flames 24 hits... Lombardi was the top face-off man winning nine and losing just three.

Quote:
Couldn't help but notice that Todd Bertuzzi was wearing an assistant captain's A on his jersey. Very similar to another veteran from last year as Owen Nolan was given an A by the coaching staff. We'll see if it sticks for the regular season. Bertuzzi, by the way, was not booed by the Saddledome faithful.

And he just missed on a breakaway in the third period as his backhand went over the net.

"I got a little too much wood on it," he said. "The first game is the toughest. It takes some time. You are finding your linemates, you are finding your feet and you are finding the puck."

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=383118

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
The grinders really stood out tonight. Bourque stood out to me the most, constantly throwing his body around, and hustling all over the ice. Glencross created a few turnovers with his speed, tenacity and forechecking. Moss was back to his 06-07 form, providing solid work along the boards, and forechecking great as well. Boyd made the most of his chances tonight, hopefully he gets a shot in the top 6. Backlund looked alright in spurts, you can clearly see the skills he has when the puck is on his stick. Very calm, doesn't panic, great passer. On D, I thought Pardy played very well. He's very close to making the jump. Negrin didn't stand out much IMO.

The ugly, to me from the game is simply put in two words: Anders Eriksson. This guy should not be on an NHL ice surface, at least he better not be here. He's just way too careless with the puck...

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Thanks for all the reports guys. Unfortunetly was only able to listen to the first ten minutes. Nice to see Boyd played well and was noticable. Hell of a pass on Iggy's goal and great instincts on his goal to be where he was. Really think he is ready for a top 6 role.

Anything on Prust? Noticed he didn't get much playing time.

Really looking forward to watching tomorrow nights game.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
GoFlames

Is the game today (Wednesday) in Winterpeg on TV? I am in Vancouver and as long as it is TSN or CBC I can get it as NHL Centre Ice does not kick in untill the regular season...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Is the game today (Wednesday) in Winterpeg on TV? I am in Vancouver and as long as it is TSN or CBC I can get it as NHL Centre Ice does not kick in untill the regular season...

I believe it will be on Sportsnet.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I too read in the paper about Bertuzzi not being booed and as that hack Eric Francis wrote: "being cheered." I don't think so. He wasn't exactly booed out of the building but it's wrong to say that he wasn't booed. I was one of many that booed him when they showed him before the anthems and when he first won the puck. Francis' article to me sounds like propaganda to make the move look good. Bertdouchebag certainly didn't impress me with me each passing give away, play where he was out of position, poor pass, bad cycling or flubbed breakawy. He will, however, get better. It's terrible seeing him in a Flames jersey.

As for Florida, I don't notice many standouts to be honest. Weiss, Bouwmeester, Repik and Frolik were all average, although Booth is feisty and had a strong game.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
special_loob

boyd looked improved, more confident

backlund was maybe a little nervous, hope to see him get better this week. still hoping he cracks the squad.

bertuzzi was mediocre. you could see florida keep both of their D well back on their blueline when he was up there looking for the stretch pass. definitely created more space for our breakout, which was good. i boo'd him after he squandered that breakaway.

negrin didn't look too good imo. though, that might be more to do with playing with eriksson (who was awful).

lombardi looks to have been praticing a couple of open ice moves all summer. unfortunately he still hasn't learned how to finish.

bourque will be a solid 3rd liner as will glencross.

aucoin and sarich looked slow. i can't believe how much we're paying these two combined. makes bert look like a steal.

disappointed i didn't see as much physical play from a guy like prust who should be roughing it up trying to make this team.

optimus primeau was decent in a 4th line role (which is where he should be kept).

iggy had a clinical finish on his goal. just a laser.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
@Cactus Jack:
As all the other attendees of last night's game, who have posted so far, have agreed with Francis and have contradicted your point of view, don't you think, that it is possible, that you are the one, who is biased and is spreading propaganda?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
@Cactus Jack:
As all the other attendees of last night's game, who have posted so far, have agreed with Francis and have contradicted your point of view, don't you think, that it is possible, that you are the one, who is biased and is spreading propaganda?
All the other attendees back Francis? Maybe but looking back at the thread none of them wrote that thus far. Read the thread again: I booed him, Qubax said it was tough to stomach him in a Flames Jersey and Special Loob said he booed him after the breakaway. That's 3 negatives to zero people saying they agree with Francis thus far. I was actually in attendance and I know I wasn't the only one that booed him because when I shut my mouth there were still some people booing him. I was actually at the game, so despite the spin that hack Francis tries to put on it, there were more people than just me booing him. Even if I am the only one at the Dome for all 41 games booing him, I will continue to do so. Last night proved to me I'm won't be the only one.

Don't you think it's possible that the Sun is spreading the propaganda and so far no one has supported your post, Snoil11? It wasn't like half or the whole dome booed him but he was booed.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
@Cactus Jack:
I was at the game and never heard a single boo (Bert got the second loudest cheer next to Iggy) now that being said I'm sure there were a few (Cactus Jack admited to being one).

Though I have to second your post, who is spreading the propaganda here Cactus Jack?

Old
09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Cactus Jack

Right, you all discovered my agenda to spread my "propaganda" to the 10 people that read the Flames board on this site. God, can you people just accept the fact that some people have a different opinion and don't buy all the crap this organization sells and call it ice cream? My god.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Everyone I've talked to that was at the game basically said the same thing Francis said, that there were cheers for Bertuzzi, with of course the few who choose to boo him. But that the cheers heavily outweighted the boos, which was nice to hear.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
See, it is not only about the booing, but also about the assessment about his game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
-Bertuzzi was as expected. It was hard as a Flames fan to stomach the reality of watching him in practice, watching him in the game...being one of OUR guys. But he played just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
The ugly:
Bertuzzi - Floated, provided no offense, didn't go to the net and was barely noticeable.
Showed no hands and often lost the puck in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
*Bertuzzi - Was OK, he had this one breakaway....oh so close.
Looking at these three assessment of Bertuzzi, yours is the outstanding one, isn't it? Even special_loob's posting, which backs your point to a certain degree (was written at the same time as mine, so I could not consider it in my post), isn't as harsh as yours.
So, Francis is the only one, who is biased, right?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Cactus Jack

Absolutely! Everyone follow me to the church of Cactus Jack so we can reflect all day and night on the poor performances of Todd Bertuzzi! Let's push our anti-Bertuzzi agenda in the hopes of achieving all our goals of world domination. Right, my bias and propaganda. At least I'm honest. If you told people a year ago Bertuzzi would be on our top line everyone would've hated the idea and called out the move for his past, his injury track record, his perimter play since the incident and his poor numbers. All of the sudden, all is forgotten and you cheer him? Do whatever you want and I will never turn my back on the Flames but I also will never cheer for this dbag ever. Have it your way but have the decency to respect someone else's opinion. This is just a message board, it holds no important or relevance to the real world, I think people need to realize that.

I don't know why I even bother posting here anymore.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Good to hear that Lundmark's ready to go. Maybe this is the year that he finally realizes some of that potential.

Also, can we end the Eriksson experiment now? The guy is completely useless.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Hyde

Steve MacFarlane's opinion of the game last night:

Quote:
REPORT CARD

Goaltending
Curtis McElhinney -- Made a few nice saves. Not stellar. B-

Defence
Cory Sarich -- Good work with his stick, but like many Flames was a little rusty. B-
Adrian Aucoin -- Kept it simple and earned an assist on the powerplay. B-
Adam Pardy -- Looked pretty comfortable. B-
Anders Eriksson -- Giveaways hurting his chances to make the team. C-
Robyn Regehr -- Quiet night for the bruising blueliner. C+
John Negrin -- Looks strong in the offensive zone but gets caught up ice. C+

Offence
Dustin Boyd -- Showed hustle and skill, earning a goal and an assist. A
Jarome Iginla -- Slow start but scored a beauty on the powerplay. B+
David Moss -- Had a couple of great setups for Boyd and Lundmark. B+
Jamie Lundmark -- Chemistry with linemates. Nearly scored twice in the first half of the opening period. B+
Wayne Primeau -- Hard worker. Good on faceoffs. B
Todd Bertuzzi -- Didn't show much finish in his first game as a Flame. B-
Rene Bourque -- Finished every check and dove in front of pucks. C+
Matthew Lombardi -- Brief flashes of confidence. Long periods of invisibility. C+
Mikael Backlund -- First impression: Needs another year in Sweden. C+
Eric Nystrom -- Some good penalty killing. C+
Brandon Prust -- Spent most of his night on the bench. N/A
Curtis Glencross -- Threw more hits than the old No. 20. C
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...61911-sun.html

Old
09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Pomeranian

For what its worth, I was at the game and only heard cheers for Bert, though I am sure there were some booing if thats what they are admitting to. I think the cheering was because it was The Flames, and we wanted to support the team and Bert is part of it. My reflections are that I was surprised at Lundmark, happy to see #17 and #18 looking good together, (very speedy) and really noticed a lot of conversation/talking going on between the vets and Backlund. This was so obviously a pre-season game and I was happy to see hockey in the Dome again.

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM
AndersEriksson*

C- for Eriksson?

Now THAT'S spreading propaganda!

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
C- for Eriksson?

Now THAT'S spreading propaganda!
Meh, I didn't think he was awful but I do agree with most that he needs to go. Honestly MacFarlane seems to be playing in rather safe with his grades. Come on that C+ for Bourque seems way to low, I thought he was great last night.

Old
09-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Qubax

I was there and I didn't boo or hear boo's just my 2 - 1/2 cents

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Ticonderoga

I am curious what his reception will be when he comes back to Vancouver. I got tickets to the game on the 1st so I will be there to witness the return of Bertuzzi to GM place.

It's also going to be on TSN that night for those interested.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
I am curious what his reception will be when he comes back to Vancouver.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet on him being boo'ed.

Old
09-24-2008, 06:54 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Francis' article to me sounds like propaganda to make the move look good.
Since when does Francis write anythig pro flames? Highly doubt it is propaganda to make the move look good. Maybe if it was a Sportak, Levebre or MacFarlane article then sure maybe that would make sense. From reading 3 sites it seems Bertuzzi was cheered more then he was booed.

No doubt many fans like yourself probably booed him and will continue to all year, but I think most fans are willing to give him a shot.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote