Flames swing deal with Hawks

Ville Nieminen for Jason Morgan and a draft pick

www.sportsnet.com

Old
02-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I got this on some other site. is this real?

Old
02-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Hot damn it is true! I really liked Nimmen when he played in Colorado, and back then (2 yrs ago I think) people thought he had lots of potential. So he could come in and really help out the bottom two lines and maybe rekindle some of that lost offense he had. He played a really gritty game and I think he was a good acquisition. Especially seeing how we only gave up Jason Morgan and a conditional pick. Good deal Sutter. Now, this is definitely not at trade that'll put Calgary over the hump, but it could potentially be good and we gave up nothign really for it.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:57 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
I got this on some other site. is this real?

It's real:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...24_122519_4224

Old
02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
Hot damn it is true! I really liked Nimmen when he played in Colorado, and back then (2 yrs ago I think) people thought he had lots of potential. So he could come in and really help out the bottom two lines and maybe rekindle some of that lost offense he had. He played a really gritty game and I think he was a good acquisition. Especially seeing how we only gave up Jason Morgan and a conditional pick. Good deal Sutter. Now, this is definitely not at trade that'll put Calgary over the hump, but it could potentially be good and we gave up nothign really for it.
Ville can be a great locker room guy. If things are tight, he can get people laughing. He's a total nut with a Joker-like grin that's rather infectious. You should all be pretty familiar with Chris Drury and his stoic personallity both on and off the ice. I remember in a game where Drury assisted on a Ville goal and Ville was celebrating, Chris was not just cheering and smiling he was flat out laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I've never seen Chris laugh like that, before nor since. Skill wise, he will drive to the crease and act as a pest. Oh, and you'll love his quotes.

Old
02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Good move IMO. Nieminen has a far higher upside than Morgan. I've always been intrigued by him and thought he would be somebody to go after this summer when he was UFA. Hopefully he injects some grittier play into our bottom two lines.

Old
02-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Good move by the Flames.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Nieminen is a flames kinda kinda guy. Works hard as hell and earns every point he gets. A gritty and decently talented guy who hopefully finds his niche with the Flames, who IMO would be the best fit for him in this league. He will be a solid leader one day...

Old
02-24-2004, 04:04 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Nieminen is a flames kinda kinda guy. Works hard as hell and earns every point he gets. A gritty and decently talented guy who hopefully finds his niche with the Flames, who IMO would be the best fit for him in this league. He will be a solid leader one day...
He's perfect for the Flames because he always plays well against Edmonton (6pts in 9GP). I hate when the Oil play against his team.

Old
02-24-2004, 04:14 PM
kruezer

Sounds good to me, any word on Green or Loyns going down? Or is Sutter going to keep 14 forwards now? Someone must be headed down, especially if Yelle is really going to be back soon (he's a game timer tonight according to calgaryflames.com)

Old
02-24-2004, 05:08 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I really like this deal. He's an definite upgrade over Green and Loyns and is a Sutter type of player.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Nice move. I'm impressed.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Good depth move. Nieminen should fill a third-fourth line role very nicely. Good energy guy, and he could score a few goals too....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
02-24-2004, 06:46 PM
vega007

Green has got to be going down to make room. It's embarassing to the league and its fans that a guy like him can get ice team on any team in the league.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:34 PM
ForeignFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Sounds good to me, any word on Green or Loyns going down? Or is Sutter going to keep 14 forwards now? Someone must be headed down, especially if Yelle is really going to be back soon (he's a game timer tonight according to calgaryflames.com)
Loyns got sent down again. Green is a scratch. Ville is not playing either, but Yelle is BACK!!!

Old
02-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Shappa

Niemenen a Flame

Ville Niemenen to Calgary for "Captain" Jason Morgan and a conditional.

Honestly, I've never liked Niemenen, but I guess it gives the team depth at a fairly cheap price. Hopefully him and the other two ex Av's click together and he plays well here.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:57 AM
AEKaki

Nieminen is talented.
He never really got a chance in Pittsburgh, dunno why, and I am guessing his role was limited in Chicago. Great pick-up. This kid can play better if he gets more ice time.

Old
02-25-2004, 04:39 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
He could become really valuble in the playoff too. Maybe the last piece for a succes in the playoffs. Honestly, I think Calgary has a good team and role players to succed in the postseason, hard working forwards and a defense where all six men share the ice-time. Bright future.

And next season hopefully Jonas Frögren arrives.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Badger Bob

The Blackhawks sacrificed an asset when they could've just snatched Jason Morgan off the waiver wire last week from Nashville. No complaint from this end, though.

Old
02-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

NOTE: I've merged the two threads about the Nieminen trade. Please try and look to see if news is already posted before starting a new thread about it. The comments complaining about the duplicate thread and the comments complaining about those comments were removed so we can stick to the topic.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:13 AM
DarioinDenver

I'd say I scouted that ok?

Ville can be a great locker room guy. If things are tight, he can get people laughing. He's a total nut with a Joker-like grin that's rather infectious. You should all be pretty familiar with Chris Drury and his stoic personallity both on and off the ice. I remember in a game where Drury assisted on a Ville goal and Ville was celebrating, Chris was not just cheering and smiling he was flat out laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I've never seen Chris laugh like that, before nor since. Skill wise, he will drive to the crease and act as a pest. Oh, and you'll love his quotes.

Oh, and Robertsson 4-ever called it like this:

He could become really valuble in the playoff too. Maybe the last piece for a succes in the playoffs. Honestly, I think Calgary has a good team and role players to succed in the postseason, hard working forwards and a defense where all six men share the ice-time. Bright future.

And next season hopefully Jonas Frögren arrives.

When you think back to Ville's days with Hartley he did exceptionally well. So well in fact the Avs felt confident he could take the Deadmarsh role and made the Blake trade. I think Ville is irony personified at times, he does well with hard-nosed coaches like Sutter and Hartley yet plays an almost wreckless style of hockey at times. When Ville played for a more player-friendly coach he played a rather unispired conservitive brand of hockey. Hartley just about lost it with Ville when he showed up to training camp "out of shape" as he put it and there were rumors that he was smoking pretty heavily at the time (along with Skoula). He's anything but boring and I miss him on the Avalanche at times, especially watching the energy he's playing with right now.

Closed Thread