HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luca Sbisa

View Poll Results: When decision time comes, will he stay in the NHL or be sent back to juniors?
Yes, he will stay with the Flyers 98 75.38%
No, he will be sent back to juniors 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that was bringing him along slowly. He started for the Flyers a year after he was drafted.
Difference between Pitkanen and Sbisa, is Pitkanen was definitely physically ready for the NHL, its between the ears where he has issues...

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Difference between Pitkanen and Sbisa, is Pitkanen was definitely physically ready for the NHL, its between the ears where he has issues...
Being mentally ready though can more than make up for any physical issues. You can't teach hockey sense and it's clear Sbisa has it. I think the longer he gets accustomed to playing, you'll see his confidence level grow and grow. You'll see him become more confident in his decision making and I think it will cover up any 'physical' deficiencies there might be.

I know this may kind of sound far fetched, but in terms of hockey sense, I really liken Sbisa to Mike Richards in the sense that nobody questioned Mike's hockey smarts, but that they questioned his physical ability (too small, gets knocked off the puck easily, not sure if he's an offensive hockey player, because he's small he's not a defensive presence like Primeau was, etc.....). I'd definitely say it was Richards' hockey smarts that catapulted him to the next level. Same with Sbisa. He's got the smarts and he's got a real good sense for the game. Why not keep him around as a 5 or 6 to start his rookie year and then progress along the way? By the time his third year rolls around, he's ready for a top four pairing and replaces Randy Jones. And for the record, Sbisa was more impressive his first game than what Jones has been his entire NHL career.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Being mentally ready though can more than make up for any physical issues. You can't teach hockey sense and it's clear Sbisa has it. I think the longer he gets accustomed to playing, you'll see his confidence level grow and grow. You'll see him become more confident in his decision making and I think it will cover up any 'physical' deficiencies there might be.

I know this may kind of sound far fetched, but in terms of hockey sense, I really liken Sbisa to Mike Richards in the sense that nobody questioned Mike's hockey smarts, but that they questioned his physical ability (too small, gets knocked off the puck easily, not sure if he's an offensive hockey player, because he's small he's not a defensive presence like Primeau was, etc.....). I'd definitely say it was Richards' hockey smarts that catapulted him to the next level. Same with Sbisa. He's got the smarts and he's got a real good sense for the game. Why not keep him around as a 5 or 6 to start his rookie year and then progress along the way? By the time his third year rolls around, he's ready for a top four pairing and replaces Randy Jones. And for the record, Sbisa was more impressive his first game than what Jones has been his entire NHL career.
Yeah, but Richards is a forward, they develop much quicker than dmen, and he also didnt come into the league at 18 years old.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

So with Alberts here does that mean Sbisa's gone? I'd rather keep Sbisa than Kukkonen...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So with Alberts here does that mean Sbisa's gone? I'd rather keep Sbisa than Kukkonen...
no I think it means Kukkonen is going to be the 7th. Sbisa was our 3rd best dman the other night, if that continues there's no way they can send him back with Parent and Jones out 3 months

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
no I think it means Kukkonen is going to be the 7th. Sbisa was our 3rd best dman the other night, if that continues there's no way they can send him back with Parent and Jones out 3 months
They can easily send him back after 9 games. Nobody looked exceptionally great against the Rangers. It was game four for them and game one for the Flyers. Alberts makes it an almost certainty that Sbisa is headed back to juniors. The Flyers have too many dmen to use to waste a year of Sbisa's service time.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hes only the 50th contract once he plays 10 games

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:04 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Sbisa looks good so far, but he's still going back to juniors on October 29th.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
JGalt

Right now Sbisa may be the 3rd best defenseman on this team regardless of Jones/Parent. Not to say he can necessarily sustain that throughout the season, but from what I can see on the ice I am very, very impressed.

JGalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

He's had a very good game so far tonight. If he keeps playing like this it's harder to send him back to junior, but I still think it's the right call. 9 games isn't enough to prove he can withstand 82+ games at this level.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:49 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Sbisa looks good so far, but he's still going back to juniors on October 29th.
I think you're wrong.Coburn and Sbisa are really showing some good chemistry. No way he goes back in my opinion. Pitt didn't send Staal back and that proved to be a very good decision on their part. Whats the difference between a guys like Doughty, Bogosian and sbisa? not much right now. (Schenn I think is just better defensively than all three)

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
blah

I have no problem putting him in the Flyers top 3 prospects with JVR and Giroux after this game. He looks really good right now.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He's had a very good game so far tonight. If he keeps playing like this it's harder to send him back to junior, but I still think it's the right call. 9 games isn't enough to prove he can withstand 82+ games at this level.
He tested way above avg on some test that determines if you can handle the season, Coatsey was talking about it

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
He tested way above avg on some test that determines if you can handle the season, Coatsey was talking about it
Yeah in terms of conditioning, he's in great shape right now, but you have to consider an 18 year old frame taking a beating on the forecheck for all that time too.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
I think you're wrong.Coburn and Sbisa are really showing some good chemistry. No way he goes back in my opinion. Pitt didn't send Staal back and that proved to be a very good decision on their part. Whats the difference between a guys like Doughty, Bogosian and sbisa? not much right now. (Schenn I think is just better defensively than all three)
Dmen and forwards are apples and oranges for starters. Staal was also a manboy physically. LA and ATL suck and the Flyers have a good team. Those are huge differences.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Yeah in terms of conditioning, he's in great shape right now, but you have to consider an 18 year old frame taking a beating on the forecheck for all that time too.
True, but I think this kid could be the exception !!
If he keeps playing like this, he is going to make it real hard on Mgmt.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
BlackTuuk

This past draft yielded many great NHL-ready d-men. I think Luca is in this group and watching tonight (against one of the best in the conference) I hope he stays.

Thank you, NHL Center Ice free trial. I think I have to get the package again, though, I hope they keep their word on the possible HD broadcasts because the typical SD offering is brutal on a 1080p.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Dmen and forwards are apples and oranges for starters. Staal was also a manboy physically. LA and ATL suck and the Flyers have a good team. Those are huge differences.
Correct they do, but the flyers D is also bruised up. And the word is that Sbisa is beyond his years in the physicality department. I wouldn't send him down at least from what I've seen so far. If his play drops I say send him back. But right now I see no reason to send him down. There is nothing he can gain from staying in a less competitive level when he can compete at the NHL level.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
True, but I think this kid could be the exception !!
If he keeps playing like this, he is going to make it real hard on Mgmt.
He could be, and I really don't know how I'd manage it. Thankfully the decision isn't up to me. If he plays like this, how can you not want him in the lineup? But, what if it doesn't continue after the 9 games is up? You've lost a year off his contract for nothing.

Old
10-13-2008, 08:02 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
He could be, and I really don't know how I'd manage it. Thankfully the decision isn't up to me. If he plays like this, how can you not want him in the lineup? But, what if it doesn't continue after the 9 games is up? You've lost a year off his contract for nothing.
Gonna be a tough decision for Homer !!

Old
10-13-2008, 08:19 PM
ELab2

well he's the 2nd best dman out tonight after Coburn

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
JesterOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
well he's the 2nd best dman out tonight after Coburn
Perhaps (hopefully) he'll be to the Flyers as Vlasic was to the Sharks a couple years ago. He was also on the ten day tryout and played so well that the team couldn't send him down. Vlasic was also smaller and dominated physically, but more than made up for it. Seems as if they have a lot in common from the little I've seen of Sbisa.

JesterOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Bodrovs Dog

Sbisa was 3rd in ice time among Flyer defensemen tonight with 21:03.

In comparison, Vaananen had 16:29, Eminger had 14:28, and Kukk had 12:38.

That tells you all you need to know. Sbisa's staying. Frankly, it's scary to think how bad the D would be without him.

Bodrovs Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Bodrovs Dog

BTW, Sbisa led the team in even strength ice time tonight.

Bodrovs Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
bennysflyers16

And once idiot Stevens gets him to buy into the 40 min effort rule that he expects out of his players, he will be fine physically.