HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luca Sbisa

View Poll Results: When decision time comes, will he stay in the NHL or be sent back to juniors?
Yes, he will stay with the Flyers 98 75.38%
No, he will be sent back to juniors 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-23-2008, 07:27 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 179
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Sbisa had another poor game tonight. What he's done for his age is extremely impressive, but he just isn't ready yet and needs to be sent back to juniors.

My guess is as soon as Jones or Parent returns from injury, they take his spot.
I dont believe he can be sent down now. Or can he? But he still counts as a contracted player? I forget.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If Sbisa is made the 7th defenseman, he should be sent back to Lethbridge.
No problem here. Once everyone is healthy kid is back to Lethbridge.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Sbisa is doing his best, and he's not costing the team, but he clearly needs a game or two off. The Flyers have another tough stretch and a busy December. They would be well served to do that when Vaananen comes back. Hanzal spun him around like a rag doll last night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Sbisa is doing his best, and he's not costing the team, but he clearly needs a game or two off. The Flyers have another tough stretch and a busy December. They would be well served to do that when Vaananen comes back. Hanzal spun him around like a rag doll last night.
I agree. A game or two in press box would help him.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:00 AM
chaosof99*

I concur. I hope he gets a game or two off when Ossi returns.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
sbisa's the ****. it seems like hes getting better and gaining confidence with each game. my only fear is that he gets worn down over the long haul. makes me wonder if they'll sit him a game or two here and there to give him a blow when parent/jones come back.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
chaosof99*

I think he is definitively working on himself. Yesterday he tried a few hip-checks first time I've seen him do that. I still believe that a day or two off would do him good.

Old
11-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I dont believe he can be sent down now. Or can he? But he still counts as a contracted player? I forget.
He can be sent down to juniors at any time this season. It counts for a year on his rookie contract if he plays more than 9 games, and it counts for a year on his RFA status if it's more than 39 games (I think).

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
blah

Can we see what Syrvet can do? There's no reason to expect big things, but still, he has been tearing up the AHL.

At the very least, saving that extra year on Sbisa's RFA might be a wise move, especially with him starting to look his age.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
chaosof99*

I watched the last game against the Pens yesterday again and I wouldn't wonder if Malkin developed a distaste for Sbisa. Luca prevented a goal from him, even though he hooked Malkin. On the resulting power-play for the Penguins, Cannon grabbed the puck and we went off to the races as Malkin could only helplessly skate backwards as Malkin played the point on that power-play watch Richie pass the puck to Gags who sunk it behind Fleury.

Also, Luca had a good hit on Malkin that night. The next game against the Penguins should be interesting in that regard.

Old
12-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Vodka_Tonic

does anyone know if he has to fullfill his army service when he's 20?

i guess it shouldn't be a problem to get away from it, but you never know...

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:53 AM
WeberStreit

No, that's not a problem. He just has to pay... Today, they have some pics (and a little story) in the biggest newspaper in Switzerland:

http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/...delphia-107378

It's about fans.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:26 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
No, that's not a problem. He just has to pay... Today, they have some pics (and a little story) in the biggest newspaper in Switzerland:

It's about fans.

Translation of the article for people who don't speak german:

Quote:
Heartbreaker in Philadelphia

Luca Sbisa is already used to the world of hockey. «The Kid» now also conquers the hearts of women in Philadelphia.

«The Kid», they call Luca Sbisa in the sports-crazy city of Philadelphia. In the media. In the arena. «My teammates call me ‹Sbees› or ‹Luke›», Sbisa told BLICK yesterday.

The Kid. The 18-year-old Sbisa is so popular with the fans, that Lindsey Domers, the Marketingmanager of the Flyers begins to swoon: «Luca is really appreciated.

The fans want signed jerseys, sticks, pucks and other stuff. Especially the young ones love Sbisa. When we started selling the alternate jersey's in the old look, his was one of the most popular.» (note: retranslated, not the original quote)

The Kid. The fans are always waiting for this Zug-native (note: Zug is a major city in Switzerland) to leave the Arena after games or practice. With camera's, banners, merchandise. Especially the young women get flustered when Luca plays.

«Some girls even wait for two hours for an autograph. Recently a few girls brought a banner to the stadium which read: ‹We love you, Sbisa›. That's something special. Something I'm not used to», he says.

His popularity with the female fans is no secret to his teammates: Their advice was to stay single and enjoy his life. The swiss guy with italian roots often gets talked to by women during Dinners.
And by god, are those picture captions cheesy.

Old
12-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Vodka_Tonic

Quote:
No, that's not a problem. He just has to pay...
wouldn't that be something like 3% of your income before taxes? that's going to amount to quite some money over 10 years...

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Zorkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka_Tonic View Post
wouldn't that be something like 3% of your income before taxes? that's going to amount to quite some money over 10 years...
Worth every penny though...

(And the missing time would cost him more)

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:26 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

It's about fans.
He's definitely a cute kid, I can see where the young'uns would like him.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

who does Sbisa live with, one of the vets or is he on his own?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:37 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Holmgren has arranged for Sbisa to live with a local woman, who, over the years, has become the unofficial housemother for some of the younger Flyers.

Former Flyers Maxime Ouellet, Justin Williams and Todd Fedoruk also lived with her. Sbisa will move in with her - she lives about four miles from the team's practice rink in Voorhees, Camden County - when he finalizes the purchase of a car this week.

"She's a principal or a vice principal at a high school near here, so she's used to dealing with kids that age," Holmgren said.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
who does Sbisa live with, one of the vets or is he on his own?
I believe he's set up with a lady in the area that's possibly a local school Principal? Could be wrong here.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
Holmgren has arranged for Sbisa to live with a local woman, who, over the years, has become the unofficial housemother for some of the younger Flyers.

Former Flyers Maxime Ouellet, Justin Williams and Todd Fedoruk also lived with her. Sbisa will move in with her - she lives about four miles from the team's practice rink in Voorhees, Camden County - when he finalizes the purchase of a car this week.

"She's a principal or a vice principal at a high school near here, so she's used to dealing with kids that age," Holmgren said.

Thanks....that's so much better than I put it.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

He's been living with the Cotes up till now. Lucky bugger.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:

I love how Homer isn't sure if she's a principal/vice pricipal.

"She's a principal, or a teacher, or something. I don't know. She's really cool, and the kids love her!"

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
JorgeRocks!

Luca Sbisa

How has he been for you guys? See he is 5th in D Men Ice Time per game for the Flyers, so he is a solid 3rd pair d man? 2nd pair guy? I hope he hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and are the Flyers looking at getting Jones back in the lineup soon, or are they looking to move him?

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
chaosof99*

He's done pretty well and has definitely not hit his ceiling yet. He needs more experience, needs to beef up and work on his accuracy, but he has been one hell of a draft pick.

Old
12-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Luca Sbisa talk here...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=554316

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote