HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Demers All Time Team of Players He Coached

Old
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
David

vCash: 500
Jacques Demers All Time Team of Players He Coached

On Off the Record, Jacques was asked this question and his answer was:

Patrick Roy in net (no brainer)

Stevie Yzerman (another no brainer)
Dougie Gilmour on the wing
Joey Mullen (surprised by this answer)

Eric Desjardins
Mathieu Schneider "who scored 20 goals for me"

The two former Montreal defensmen that Jacques named were very surprising choices to me but I think that his answer indicates that he attributes his greatest success (ie. CH Cup win in '93) was due to Patrick Roy, and the two defensemen Eric Desjardins and Mathieu Schneider!

I think that many would agree with me that after the goalie, the two puck moving defensemen are probably the most important positions for a Cup run...and CH needs to get another one to supplement Markov...and sooner the better IMO.

As tonight's preseason game against Buffalo proved, Montreal desperately needs another PP QB defenseman. When Markov's not playing, Montreal's PP is pretty anemic!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Fire Brunet*

yo, it's preseason

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau View Post
yo, it's preseason
Yeah, preseason where we measure where we are...and I think that our measurement proved that none of our in house guys are ready to be the 2nd PP QB.

Old
09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Markov is a good replacement for Desjardins...

Schneider is a good replacement for Schnieder problem solved

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah, preseason where we measure where we are...and I think that our measurement proved that none of our in house guys are ready to be the 2nd PP QB.
Dude....when we have our full line up there is no real issue.
We didnt have that last season either.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Beakermania*

Holy overreaction batman.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm suprised he picked Schneider over Ramage.

Also, I'd think he'd pick Federko over Mullen.

He coached Goulet and Oates before they hit their primes as well. Oates is a good example of how he completely missed out on a talent right under his nose. He pushed Devallano to trade Oates to get the over the hill Federko.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Prendan Brust

Joey Mullen doesn't surprise me, he was a hell of a player and a better goal scorer than Federko, I guess that's why Demers chose him over Federko. Also, you have to consider that he already picked a center in Yzerman... Yzerman > Federko (No brainer IMO)

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Joey Mullen doesn't surprise me, he was a hell of a player and a better goal scorer than Federko, I guess that's why Demers chose him over Federko. Also, you have to consider that he already picked a center in Yzerman... Yzerman > Federko (No brainer IMO)
Yeah, but I don't think he cared about position since he picked two centers. I think he chose his three best forwards. Nothing wrong with picking Mullen, but IMO Federko was a better player.

Old
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
On Off the Record, Jacques was asked this question and his answer was:

Patrick Roy in net (no brainer)

Stevie Yzerman (another no brainer)
Dougie Gilmour on the wing
Joey Mullen (surprised by this answer)

Eric Desjardins
Mathieu Schneider "who scored 20 goals for me"

The two former Montreal defensmen that Jacques named were very surprising choices to me but I think that his answer indicates that he attributes his greatest success (ie. CH Cup win in '93) was due to Patrick Roy, and the two defensemen Eric Desjardins and Mathieu Schneider!

I think that many would agree with me that after the goalie, the two puck moving defensemen are probably the most important positions for a Cup run...and CH needs to get another one to supplement Markov...and sooner the better IMO.

As tonight's preseason game against Buffalo proved, Montreal desperately needs another PP QB defenseman. When Markov's not playing, Montreal's PP is pretty anemic!
Nothing...absolutely nothing since we didn't ice our full team.

09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Yeah, but I don't think he cared about position since he picked two centers. I think he chose his three best forwards. Nothing wrong with picking Mullen, but IMO Federko was a better player.
I don't know about that, in the first post of this thread the OP specified that Gilmour would be used as a winger (so I guess Demers did the same). Gilmour played as a winger in the NHL, I don't know if Federko ever played as one.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Benzaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Hamrlik can be another puck-carrying defenseman but he lost a bit of his touch since his ''Markov days'' when he was an amazing Offensive defensemen and the habs need him more for his strong defensive play and excellent first pass to get the puck out of the D-zone...it would be great to have a puck-carrying sound right-handed D-man to complement Hammer...its not O'byrne's style but i like him as #4 D but to be honest that spot is open to whoever is hot although the josh ''rubber band man'' gorges- Francis ''frank the tank -- the hulk'' bouillon duo should stay strong...

#4 D spot is up for grabs imo or until o'byrne either takes it as his own or loses it to a better D (via hamilton or trade-ufa signing during the season)

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
I don't know about that, in the first post of this thread the OP specified that Gilmour would be used as a winger (so I guess Demers did the same). Gilmour played as a winger in the NHL, I don't know if Federko ever played as one.
I always remembered him as a center and he was always listed as a center. Perhaps Demers did use him on the wing, but I don't recall that.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Even if we iced the whole team, who else could man the point effectively on the 2nd unit if Markov was out? Breezy? Don't think so. Hammer isn't a good mobile offensive D anymore and on top of that, his game suffers when the pace picks up and the hitting starts. (See this spring's playoffs).

Tanguay was tried there somewhat in this game but you can see that although okay, not a good option, esp. defensively and he doesn't have a cannon from the point to keep the defenders honest with his one timers.

Sergei K. definitely doesn't belong there and Koivu would be the other choice but he also have proven that his defensive play while manning the point is not strong.

In fact, none of our forwards, with the exception of Kovalev has a heavy shot that can be deflected...which by the way was one of the main downfalls of CH this past spring against both Boston and Philly, ie teams that suffocate you with defense.

But Kovy would be so much better served at his usual right slot instead of at the point...and he isn't the passer that the others are.

Because of the marathan that is the playoffs, team depth more than anything has been the most important factor in winning Stanley Cups.

The idea of using a forward on the point is a poor one and exposes a definite flaw in the team...an achilles heel that can be exploited by the other team during our Cup run.

Just as an illustration of my point, take the Boston Bruins of the 70's with the Great Bobby Orr.

Opposing team's strategy was to ALWAYS dump the puck into Orr's corner whenever they got the puck. You would think that you would do the opposite since Bobby was such a dominant player. But the beauty of this plan was that you let Bobby get the puck and just hit him and hit him and hit him. Soon, Bobby was not the old dominating Bobby any more.

If you can do that with the greatest defenseman of all time, you can surely do that with Markov...in fact that's how some of the teams have exploited CH in the recent years.

Montreal needs another offensive, puck carrying defenseman who can distribute the puck and fire one times from the point to off set the work load of Andre Markov.

Here's a list of Stanley Cup winners since our last Cup and the formula is there. We can only up the odds of winning it again for our 100th by adding a good offensive defenseman to the team...and sooner the better.

2008- Wings - Lidstrom/Ralfaski
2007 - Ducks - Niedermeyer/Pronger
2006 - Canes - Kaberle/Tverdovsky/Hedican - only team that used forward on PP regularly I believe and I still maintain that their Cup win was a fluke starting with them gouging Koivu's eyes out.
2005 - season cancelled ()
2004 - Lightning - Boyle/Kubina
2003 - Jersey -Niedermeyer/Ralfalski
2002 - Wings - Lidstrom/Steve Duschene (remember him?)
2001 - Av's -Bourque/Blake
2000 -Jersey - Niedermeyer/Ralfaski
1999 - Dallas - Zubov/Sydor
1998 - Wings - Lidstrom/Murphy
1997 - Wings - Lidstrom/Murphy
1996 - Ave - Ozolinsch/Uwe Krupp
1995- Jersey - Nidermeyer/Stevens (yes, Stevens was a pretty good offensive D once...he actually outscored Nieds in 1995)
1994 - NYR - Leetch/Zubov
1993 - Montreal Canadiens - Desjardins/Schneider

As history shows, while it is not impossible, it would be very, very difficult to go all the way to claim that ever elusive Cup without another offensive defenseman!

Old
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Holy overreaction batman.
Tsk, tsk, I expected more from you...I think that as a moderator you should be contributing something more substantial to the threads.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Rafalski

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Tortue

We got Boulion and Brisbeois? I think they fit in that list pretty good.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 02:04 AM
goman

Quote:
Just as an illustration of my point, take the Boston Bruins of the 70's with the Great Bobby Orr.

Opposing team's strategy was to ALWAYS dump the puck into Orr's corner whenever they got the puck. You would think that you would do the opposite since Bobby was such a dominant player. But the beauty of this plan was that you let Bobby get the puck and just hit him and hit him and hit him. Soon, Bobby was not the old dominating Bobby any more.

If you can do that with the greatest defenseman of all time, you can surely do that with Markov...in fact that's how some of the teams have exploited CH in the recent years.[/B]
I believe this thought is taken from an interview Phil Esposito did, talking about playing against Bobby during his days in Chicago. Players would dump it into his corner and hit him constantly because he already had a bad knee.

I believe you're suggesting there was some sort of league-wide collusion before he developed the bad knee, where every forechecking forward agreed to dump it into Bobby's corner for years and years so that eventually, if they all did it game in and game out, he'd develop problems and start to wear down.

Kind of doubt it.

Also, though I didn't see any of this game, I'd think that Sergei could play the point on the 2nd unit and I think I also saw they had Lang back there but either way, your PP QB does not need to be a D man. You can run plays from the half boards, as the Habs often do.

Finally, look at the offensive options the Habs have for the PP, I think we'll be fine. It's very early on and if there are any glaring holes in the lineup a trade/signing will happen.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

when did he coach gilmour?

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
when did he coach gilmour?
St-Louis

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
St-Louis
see, I didnt even know demers coached in stl... head coach?

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
see, I didnt even know demers coached in stl... head coach?
yeah

you should read his biography, great book

He talks about the young Gilmour and Yzerman he coached.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Mad Habber

Geez, I wasn't aware the playoffs were starting tomorrow. Who are we playing?

The team hasn't played together yet, we have no idea how the PP or even the pk are going to look. 98% of the people thought our PP was going to suffer last year because of the lost of Souray. Why don't we wait a little and see how it shapes out before we start complaining that it isn't good enough.

If BG thinks he needs more help later, at whichever position, he has until the trade deadline to make some adjustment.

No matter how good or poor you are in October or November, it has no bearing as to how good or bad you can be in April, May or June. Ottawa and Pittsburgh proved that last year.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Corey

Quote:
Agree. I thought Federko was slightly overrated.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Pascal

.. and Mullen underrated imo.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote