HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer buys out Mission Itech

Old
09-24-2008, 06:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*

vCash: 500
In a statement released by Bauer, they decided they will not carry over ANY of Mission's ice products. No skates, no sticks, no protective gear.

**** Bauer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
In a statement released by Bauer, they decided they will not carry over ANY of Mission's ice products. No skates, no sticks, no protective gear.

**** Bauer.
I'm not surprised. Personally, I've never been impressed with anything Mission had to offer. Itech on the other hand, Bauer better leave them be.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
DinkusMaximus

Itech will be fine. They're too big with too many big name players for Bauer to just blow off. Itech's name in goaltending is huge, especially in the mask department. I'm sure you'll keep seeing their stuff. Mission on the other hand wasn't as big and mimicked the itech stuff in many ways.

TPS is indeed up for sale. They filed for Bankruptcy already from what I was told.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I'm not surprised. Personally, I've never been impressed with anything Mission had to offer. Itech on the other hand, Bauer better leave them be.
Have you used the Fuel Ti sticks? Or the Fuel AGX skates? Or the Intake helmet?

All great products.

And by all accounts the Fuel 130 gloves are great too.

IMO, the Fuel AGX skates are much better then anything Bauer put on the market lately. The Vapors are extremely uncomfortable and so are the One95 and not nearly worth the money they cost.

Better heal lock, better ankle cushioning, ankles act more naturally because of the lower lacing height, no boot slop like the Vapors.

And the Ti sticks are much better then the crappy Vapor sticks that don't allow you buy any of the lower end models with no stick'um.

They re release the Supreme One90 stick with a new paint job and that stupid yellow stripe.

I USED to like Bauer, but i can't buy a product from a company with no ethics. **** Bauer.

I'll stock up on Mission stuff now, and then use CCM or Easton after that.

Old
09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:

I USED to like Bauer, but i can't buy a product from a company with no ethics. **** Bauer.
It's a business. Nobody put a gun to Mission's owners and made them sell. Bauer went with a smart move for their company. If you don't want to buy Bauer products fine, but they did nothing unethical.

You're also not buying from a lot of people who are Bauer employees today that were Mission employees yesterday.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
What exactly did they do that was unethical?

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
What exactly did they do that was unethical?
when somebody is a lot better than everybody else they are clearly unethical.

Old
09-24-2008, 08:06 PM
GOONSQUAD

Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
doesnt nike own bauer?
Nike Sold off Bauer

http://bulgingthetwine.blogspot.com/...lls-bauer.html

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
when somebody is a lot better than everybody else they are clearly unethical.
Putting over 140 people into unemployment is crappy, IMO.

I communicated with an employee of theirs, and it is crappy.

The other unethical part is to phase out competition and their products. Completely ignoring what they brought to the table. Forgetting their innovations and not continuing their work.

I own plenty of Bauer products.

But i won't buy their skates, due to the fact they're uncomfortable. And i dislike their sticks.

My point is that they could have bought them, and still allow their products to continue. I.E RBK/CCM, Mission/Itech, Nike/Bauer...

I'm sure i'll change my tune if i see then incorporating some of the innovations that Mission had achieved.

Old
09-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Stripes

I tried Mission skates a few years ago. I could not break them in, even after having them baked and molded to my feet. I switched to Graf after 3 months with the Missions.

I don't play anymore, so I don't know what kind of sticks they have. I officiate, so skates and helmets are the biggest things we need, and Mission failed with both in my opinion. I wear Graf skates and the latest RBK helmet. Both top products.

Bauer skates may be uncomfortable for YOU. They are for me as well. That's because they're made for a not-so-wide foot. With skates, it's not just about the brand, it's about the fit.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Wouldn't this put the blame on Mission's owners for either a) running a company that couldn't stay afloat, thus putting over 140 people into unemployment or b) selling off their successful company to a company that would put over 140 people into unemployment?

I'd imagine that Mission's roller hockey stuff, which is much more popular than their ice hockey stuff, will continue.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:43 PM
factsarefacts

Here are some facts (and opinions gleaned from the press releases):

1) if Mission/Itech was so profitable, why did the owners decide to sell? They were private. No private company sells if they are making money. They have been in trouble for a while.

2) Bauer bought Mission/Itech for the goalie business, the visor business, the neck protection/jock short business. Everything else was surplus (and pretty much crap) so was not needed. Mission roller hockey business is a plus since Bauer can stop wasting their time here and just sell Mission stuff.

3) The hockey business is not growing. It's a share battle. Consumers decide who will survive and who won't. Easton Bell and Vaughn (hope I spelled that right) are pretty much the only somewhat valuable companies left, besides Bauer and CCM/Reebok. Easton for the sticks and Vaughn for the goalies. TPS is gone. Sherwood and Graf are bit players.

4) To those whining about job cuts - Job losses are a fact of life. Sorry to those out of work but why have duplicate staff? To sit around doing nothing? Anyone here would have done the same thing.

5) To the guy complaining about Bauer skates being uncomfortable - maybe so but you ain't felt anything as bad as the CCM U skate. :

Regards
Facts

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsarefacts View Post
Easton Bell and Vaughn (hope I spelled that right) are pretty much the only somewhat valuable companies left, besides Bauer and CCM/Reebok. Easton for the sticks and Vaughn for the goalies. TPS is gone. Sherwood and Graf are bit players.
Easton is also much more than just a hockey company. I'm not sure if the same can be said for Vaughn.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:49 PM
factsarefacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Easton is also much more than just a hockey company. I'm not sure if the same can be said for Vaughn.
You are right about Easton. I forgot they are big in other sports. They will probably be around as long as they can sell sticks and skates.

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:53 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

I had a mission stick and tried out their gear and it was terrible, they don't have a single good product I've seen or used. I really only think there are three big hockey groups out there:

Bauer, Easton, RBK

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
You are right about Easton. I forgot they are big in other sports. They will probably be around as long as they can sell sticks and skates.
Yep. They seem to be big in pretty much anything requiring aluminum or carbon fiber fabrication. Archery, bicycles, tent poles, etc. etc. etc.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorgie 06 View Post
I had a mission stick and tried out their gear and it was terrible, they don't have a single good product I've seen or used. I really only think there are three big hockey groups out there:

Bauer, Easton, RBK
For sticks Warrior is pretty big (I see quite a lot of players using them these days) and for skates Graf, but overall equipment, I think you're right.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:04 AM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:

The other unethical part is to phase out competition and their products. Completely ignoring what they brought to the table. Forgetting their innovations and not continuing their work.

But i won't buy their skates, due to the fact they're uncomfortable. And i dislike their sticks.

My point is that they could have bought them, and still allow their products to continue. I.E RBK/CCM, Mission/Itech, Nike/Bauer...

I'm sure i'll change my tune if i see then incorporating some of the innovations that Mission had achieved.
Sorry but that is called business, not unethical. Why do you think the company was sold in the first place? They weren't doing the business to keep the operation successful and running as it was. Hence the need to sell the company before it loses it's value further. Sometimes layoffs are necessary. It's the way business and the world works. Sucks, but it happens everyday. Just unlucky people who happen to be working for a failing product line.

They also aren't just phasing out the competition. Competition means products that are competing in sales with you. If the company is going out of business then obviously those products aren't selling. Thus they are no longer competition. Bauer is keeping the products that sell, and discontinuing the products deemed "losses". If the products that you're talking about were so good, then they obviously would be selling more and this would not be necessary to begin with. Mission wasn't pulling their weight. They weren't doing it before when Itech originally bought them. They apparently didn't change enough to help prevent Itech from being bought seeing as now Itech is being sold. Bauer is simply discontinuing a product line that they don't foresee as profitable.

Did you even think of the marketing costs that would be involved to keep selling Mission going? Bauer would be forced to pay all those NHL fees to have those Mission products visible in the NHL for only a handful of players. That's not exactly cost effective. Plus the RBK argument is also flawed. RBK totally discontinued the Jofa line and they also discontinued the oldest name in hockey equipment in CCM. However you don't seem to have issues with that.

It's great that you like Missions products. I do too. I wear Mission skates. However that doesn't mean Bauer is doing anything unethical nor does it mean they don't have a right to do with the product line as they wish. It's fine to be mad that products you like are being taken off the market, but it's silly for you to call Bauer unethical for it. It's simply common business practice.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Heat McManus

Would people have preferred Mission Itech just go out of business? I'm pretty sure more than 140 people would have been out of a job then.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Itech will be fine. They're too big with too many big name players for Bauer to just blow off. Itech's name in goaltending is huge, especially in the mask department. I'm sure you'll keep seeing their stuff. Mission on the other hand wasn't as big and mimicked the itech stuff in many ways.

TPS is indeed up for sale. They filed for Bankruptcy already from what I was told.
where did you hear that? can anyone else confirm?

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
where did you hear that? can anyone else confirm?
I do work within the industry. From what I was told they filed last week and are set to sell. Once sold things will be run like normal.

Old
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:

Who ever said they were not going to let Mission's product lines continue? Bauer is the dominate ice skate line, no one is even close. Mission is barely keeping a minimal marketshare in ice hockey, why keep the line? They're keeping the name and most likely the technology in roller hockey, they also plan on keeping some of those Mission employees as well as financially helping MIH employees. Real unethical.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I'll be p***ed if they can the whole Mission Ice program and don't at least re-badge some of their products. They are the only manufacuter that has a line dedicated to femail players. My daughter tried on every brand of skate in her size with nothing fitting - except for the Mission AG-W (women's AG line). The arch and general dimensions of women's feet are a bit different than males feet. Mission is the only manufacturer to recognize and cater to that. In fact, I just placed an order for new skates for her as she just outgrew her old pair.

They are also ahead of the curve in areas such as the adjustable pitch. No need to mess with profiling your skates. You can do it on the fly by merely adjust ing the pitch.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
I do work within the industry. From what I was told they filed last week and are set to sell. Once sold things will be run like normal.
Ok. I'm only asking because I am very good friends with the owners son. He hasn't mentioned anything about it to me, but at the same time, im sure he wouldn't be broadcasting it to everyone. I'll try to find out for sure.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Here are some facts (and opinions gleaned from the press releases):

1) if Mission/Itech was so profitable, why did the owners decide to sell? They were private. No private company sells if they are making money. They have been in trouble for a while.
This is just wrong, very profitable businesses are bought and sold all the time. They could very well be in trouble but they were private so we will never know but to automatically infer that they were in trouble is bogus. It is certainly as plausible that Bauer saw them making money and figured this is a good time to buy if we ever want to. i.e. the Microsoft approach. Additionally they could be concentrated that market share was decreasing or simply wanted to become a one stop shop for everything hockey.

Everything else in your post is spot on.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote