HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer buys out Mission Itech

Old
09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
factsarefacts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
This is just wrong, very profitable businesses are bought and sold all the time. They could very well be in trouble but they were private so we will never know but to automatically infer that they were in trouble is bogus. It is certainly as plausible that Bauer saw them making money and figured this is a good time to buy if we ever want to. i.e. the Microsoft approach. Additionally they could be concentrated that market share was decreasing or simply wanted to become a one stop shop for everything hockey.

Everything else in your post is spot on.
nope. you are wrong. it's a tough market that isn't growing. it's a share battle. their products weren't successful enough at retail to recoup the money they were sinking into pro players sponsorships.

so Mission was raking it in hand over fist but decided to sell anyway? why? to put people out of work? owners lost enthusiasm? just because?

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsarefacts View Post
nope. you are wrong. it's a tough market that isn't growing. it's a share battle. their products weren't successful enough at retail to recoup the money they were sinking into pro players sponsorships.

so Mission was raking it in hand over fist but decided to sell anyway? why? to put people out of work? owners lost enthusiasm? just because?
just out of curiosity, what makes you think you know this is what happened, or are you reading pages out of a commerce book?
The buisness wasnt doing as badly as you think. wasnt doing great, but not bankrupt either.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 06:06 AM
factsarefacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
The buisness wasnt doing as badly as you think. wasnt doing great, but not bankrupt either.
if that was really the case i would be very upset at the owners. if they had a stable business they just shafted 140 people (maybe more later) out of a living and turned their lives upside down. but i know Mission wasn't doing so well.

if a private company is doing OK they don't usually sell. if they are making a return in investment for the financial backer then why sell out? they surely didn't get a premium offer from Bauer in this environment.

Old
09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
stick9

Quote:
if that was really the case i would be very upset at the owners. if they had a stable business they just shafted 140 people (maybe more later) out of a living and turned their lives upside down. but i know Mission wasn't doing so well.

if a private company is doing OK they don't usually sell. if they are making a return in investment for the financial backer then why sell out? they surely didn't get a premium offer from Bauer in this environment.
Doing OK doesn't get it done. You don't run a business to break even. I'm sure they didn't sell to Bauer just to sell, and I'm sure they didn't just give the company away.

I feel for the people who are about to or already lost their jobs. In the grand scheme of today's economy, that's a drop in the bucket. The company I work for laid off more than twice that when we moved our production to China.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:

In sum
i wont point out all the facts, but....Bauer is strong in areas Mission-Itech isnt.,...meaning stick, skates. Mission-Itech originally was going to purchased Bauer, before an investment banking company purchased Bauer. Truth is this is the way the hockey industry is going and merging will be nothing new.

There were just better ways of conducting buisness and employee loyalty. I know people who worked there, etc etc, and the way it was handled left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.

Old
09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
db88

so no more nike bauer?

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Corgidequebec

No more Nike Bauer.
It's just Bauer.
My guess is that part of the move involves Itech having a very strong Goalie Division and having the facial protection Market and Mission leading the way in Roller...all areas that Bauer was not at their best in.

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
so no more nike bauer?
Nope, Nike sold off Bauer. Starting spring of 2009 they will no longer carry the Nike name on products.

Old
09-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgidequebec View Post
No more Nike Bauer.
It's just Bauer.
My guess is that part of the move involves Itech having a very strong Goalie Division and having the facial protection Market and Mission leading the way in Roller...all areas that Bauer was not at their best in.
In terms of exposure, what a great way to combat Reebok's helmet monopoly on the CHL by having a Bauer logo on every visor.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
In terms of exposure, what a great way to combat Reebok's helmet monopoly on the CHL by having a Bauer logo on every visor.
I think you will see the Itech logo stay on most Itech products, much like RBK allows CCM logos to say on some CCM products.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I think you will see the Itech logo stay on most Itech products, much like RBK allows CCM logos to say on some CCM products.
Doubt it, Itech doesn't carry the same weight in the industry CCM does. From what I have read, any product that carries over will be rebranded under the Bauer name come spring of 09.

Old
09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Everything will eventually be rebranded Bauer

Old
09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
factsarefacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Doubt it, Itech doesn't carry the same weight in the industry CCM does. From what I have read, any product that carries over will be rebranded under the Bauer name come spring of 09.
Quote:
Everything will eventually be rebranded Bauer
correct

Old
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
factsarefacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
There were just better ways of conducting buisness and employee loyalty. I know people who worked there, etc etc, and the way it was handled left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.
that says a lot about the guys who owned Mission/Itech. the deal was rumoured for over a month. they had ample time to tell the employees what was going on. i know job losses are a fact of life but you can treat the people impacted with respect and dignity.

Old
09-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
that says a lot about the guys who owned Mission/Itech. the deal was rumoured for over a month. they had ample time to tell the employees what was going on. i know job losses are a fact of life but you can treat the people impacted with respect and dignity.
Apparently some of the workers at Bauer were approached by their superiors and told, "we just want to address some of the rumors"

"what rumors"

"Oh....Well, we're buying Mission..tomorrow."

Old
09-27-2008, 03:15 AM
db88

so wait then.. is nike still in the hockey buisness... i cant imagine nike bauer not staying together.. thats the majority of the **** i see people using.....

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
so wait then.. is nike still in the hockey buisness... i cant imagine nike bauer not staying together.. thats the majority of the **** i see people using.....
Nike sold Bauer in May.

Bauer will still continue to exist.

Nike Bauer continue to be on products until 2010, I believe, but it could be late 2009. Either way, Bauer will eventually stop branding their products "Nike Bauer" and go back to just "Bauer".

Old
09-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Apparently some of the workers at Bauer were approached by their superiors and told, "we just want to address some of the rumors"

"what rumors"

That sounds about right. If only Mission-Itech employees got that the same notice. ha.

And they are re-branding every Itech product, goalie, helmets, facial...all will be come bauer in the near future.

Old
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
factsarefacts

so what is going on with Itech's goalie design guys? there is duplication there and Bauer's goalie team hasn't seemed to produce (if they did there would be no need to buy Mission/Itech). did they get their notice last week? will be interesting to see what happens

Old
09-27-2008, 07:36 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
so what is going on with Itech's goalie design guys? there is duplication there and Bauer's goalie team hasn't seemed to produce (if they did there would be no need to buy Mission/Itech). did they get their notice last week? will be interesting to see what happens
I would imagine both design teams will stay on. Itech has been much more successful in the goalie gear department, but Bauer has their niche market. Itech already has a bunch of marquee players, while Bauer only has a handful of players in the NHL and they aren't big names.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:21 PM
stick9

Quote:

"what rumors"

Had the same thing happened where I work. We were told not to believe or comment on any rumors circulating. Two days later it was announced we had bought out another company in the industry. We're a public company so things are different. Stuff leaked can mess with stock prices.

I've seen the other side of the short notice spectrum. Workers at out plant were told their jobs were being shipped over seas in a few months. Talk about crap morale, no one cared about anything. They were just waiting for their severance.

Old
09-27-2008, 09:25 PM
stick9

Quote:
Nike is officially done with hockey. It's not a large enough market and profit margin for them.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
DinkusMaximus

Just a heads-up, Vaughn just bought out Eagle. I made a new thread about it here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=555800

Last edited by DinkusMaximus: 09-28-2008 at 02:04 AM.
DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Goalie guys on itech's side are staying on.

All future goalie equipment will be branded Bauer.

Old
09-30-2008, 02:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Does anyone else like the Itech protective gear and hope they keep making it? Itech stuff was always protective, lasted well and was affordable for all. I guess companies like that are marked for extinction.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote