HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why wasn't Brisebois offered a tryout contract?

Old
09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Would you have offered Brisebois a tryout contract?

Just thought I'd stir the pot, because it's going to come up eventually if Brisebois poops the bed.

We saw Burke offer Selanne a tryout this week, as well as Sather giving one to Shannahan(although he refused). Historically, invites to camp is nothing new for older players, though I believe this year is unprecedented with teams offering tryouts to players that were there last season.

I was all for signing Brisebois in the off-season, but would giving Brisebois a tryout contract even be an option for Gainey? Would it have been viewed as 'unclassy' and send the wrong message to his players?

Thoughts?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Everyone knows I hate Brisebois but with him as seven we're fine.
I rather have a guy like him sit out more often then not then a young guy.

Young guys need to play, so in the AHL they will develop.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Selanne got a try-out contract because Burke needed to buy himself more time to rid of Schneider.

Sather was just disrespecting Shanahan with that offer.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Didn't Gainey ask Brisebois to not sign until the Sundin situation was resolved? I think basically Gainey just has too much respect for him to offer a tryout contract.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:04 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Selanne got a try-out contract because Burke needed to buy himself more time to rid of Schneider.

Selanne knew it was simply for cap purposes.

But the Rags are overcap also so I could understand the offer to Shanny

We are not over the cap so yes it would have been disrespectful for a guy who was here for so long.

its not like he has a big salary...

he is going to be more useful then most think, injuries happens more often then what we had last year. he has his place (from a former Brisebois hater that changed his mind given his new attitude of leader of last year.)

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Beakermania*

I agree... we all know the Selanne situation....

The Shanahan one is weird and I'm not surprised he refused.

Brisebois knew his situation, if the money was needed for Sundin we wouldn't have signed him; unless Dandy was out too... since its not needed for Mats we have breezer now. He was patient in the summer... He knows his role as the pressbox defenceman. He's a good option for us.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Exactly. The Habs have too much respect to do some crappy thing like that.

Burke doesn't have a choice and Selanne and the Ducks need Selanne in training camp.

Sather, I don't know what the hell he's doing to a future HOF. You don't disrespect this guy like that. But it's New York, and they don't care about anyone, they'll just buy someone else if Shanny isn't happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree... we all know the Selanne situation....

The Shanahan one is weird and I'm not surprised he refused.

Brisebois knew his situation, if the money was needed for Sundin we wouldn't have signed him; unless Dandy was out too... since its not needed for Mats we have breezer now. He was patient in the summer... He knows his role as the pressbox defenceman. He's a good option for us.
If Sundin would have signed. BG would probably have gotten rid of Dandy and dependant on the cap room, would have signe Breezy to whatever he could fit in. That's why Breezy waited, because no one knew how much Breezy would actually make. This team likes the guy, and I can see Breezy getting a job with the organization after he hangs them up.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-23-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Gainey and Carbo clearly hold Brisebois in higher regard than I do. They think he's better than the alternatives and that there isn't any risk in using $1.5M of our cap space on him.

But for me, sure, the most I'd have been willing to do would be invite him to camp. Then maybe I'd also invite some number of guys like Keith Carney, Jassen Cullimore, Nolan Pratt, Bret Hedican, Marek Malik, and whatever other unsigned recent NHL regulars are out there to camp. They wouldn't all accept. But I'd let them know we definitely have an open spot and that one of them would get it. (Right now some of them are trying out with teams that don't have an open spot, just to stay in the mix). Bryan Berard might be the one tryout that actually has a chance to get a spot in his situation. The rest are just playing for exposure, I believe.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 03:19 PM
dre2112

The only way for Selanne to play in exhibition games was if he was either under contract with the team or on a tryout contract. Since he wasn't signed to a deal due to cap issues, he was offered a tryout contract instead. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to skate with the Ducks right now.

If the Ducks had cap space they would have just signed Selanne to a contract and that would have been the end of story.

Brisebois wasn't offered a tryout contract because we have the cap space to sign him to a real contract and therefore allowed to play in preseason games

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Corey

Carbonneau, that's why. I'm curious to see how well Brisebois competes with the prospects who are trying to take his job.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Carbonneau, that's why. I'm curious to see how well Brisebois competes with the prospects who are trying to take his job.
Ah...that would make sense if there was a prospect with a chance of taking his job? Who do you see in that position?

Unless there was a pleasant development after June, Tank or Carle don't have a shot at a full time spot and certainly neither will be assuming a role in the pressbox.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
This team likes the guy, and I can see Breezy getting a job with the organization after he hangs them up.
One year ago, during the training camp, at one time Brisebois was asked to act as a coach because they were missing one. I remember how seriously he took the "role" and I even think some journalists reported it. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a job in the organization immediately after his retirement as a player.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote