HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let the fun begin!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 06:27 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Let the fun begin!!!

Let's look at a few items, shall we?

1) Sather steps down as coach to concentrate on being GM.

2) Dellapina reports that the consensus within the organization is that, if a strrong offer is made for Brian Leetch, that team should accept it.

3) Diamos reports that a Western Conference team, believed to be the Red Wings, has inquired about the availability of Mark Messier.

Any pretense of a valiant fight to the end is OVER. The fire sale is about to commence.

What I want to see is a storm of activity, with the following players traded - Kovalev, Nedved, Poti, Rucinsky, Simon, Barnaby and Mironov. If the trade is right, then I'll deal Leetch (unless it's the Debbies or Flyers; too sickening a thought.) And, while I don't expect it to happen, I'll trade messier in the right deal, also.

What do I expect to be realistic returns?

Kovalev - A quality prospect and at least a #1
Leetch - A quality prospect, perhaps a young roster player and a #1
Nedved - Similar to the Sullivan and Zhamnov deals, at least a #2, plus possibly a prospect
Poti - I think whatever teams loses out on Leetch and Gonchar could be ripe for a deal for Poti - Al least a #2, or a quality prospect and #4
Barnaby/Simon/Rucinsky/Mironov - a #3 or #4

If you add up the math, that's three to four prospects, two #1's, 1 or 2 #2's, and four picks in #3-#4 range. I don't think that's unreasonable at this stage.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Fletch

Jas...

not too sure why Leetch would command more than Kovalev...Leetch is a bit older, and has been battered the last two seasons. His defensive skills have obviously taken a beating too the last several seasons. Kovalev, most can argue, is having a bad year with a bad team. Even his 10 goals last season would extrapolate to a 30 goal season. He's coming off 4 very good seasons and is just turning 31.

At this point, I don't think having Leetch on the hook for next season is much of a positive, and a UFA-to-be may be just as attractive.

And I'm doubting both Leetch and Poti go. As bad as this team is, and perhaps as bad as most feel Poti is, the defensive cupboard is pretty bare and this team would need on of those two to stay.

And I'm almost thinking Rucinsky get get a second, or a b-level prospect, third/fourth liner if you will.

Unfortunately, though, as I think more and more, the trading partners are teams in the playoff hunt - any player we'd want in return, most likely, is someone those teams won't give up. I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it nonetheless. The potential for losing my two favorite players, Kovalev and Leetch, makes me want to kill Sather (but thank God for the NHL package on cable, as I won't miss 'em much).

Old
02-25-2004, 09:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Fletch...

It's not that Kovalev has less value than Leetch. Rather, it will take more for the Rangers to move Leetch. If Leetch is available, I think it will take a can't miss deal to move him, especially since he's signed for next year. I think the Rangers will take less for Kovalev.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:25 AM
phish3579

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Let's look at a few items, shall we?

1) Sather steps down as coach to concentrate on being GM.

2) Dellapina reports that the consensus within the organization is that, if a strrong offer is made for Brian Leetch, that team should accept it.

3) Diamos reports that a Western Conference team, believed to be the Red Wings, has inquired about the availability of Mark Messier.

Any pretense of a valiant fight to the end is OVER. The fire sale is about to commence.

What I want to see is a storm of activity, with the following players traded - Kovalev, Nedved, Poti, Rucinsky, Simon, Barnaby and Mironov. If the trade is right, then I'll deal Leetch (unless it's the Debbies or Flyers; too sickening a thought.) And, while I don't expect it to happen, I'll trade messier in the right deal, also.

What do I expect to be realistic returns?

Kovalev - A quality prospect and at least a #1
Leetch - A quality prospect, perhaps a young roster player and a #1
Nedved - Similar to the Sullivan and Zhamnov deals, at least a #2, plus possibly a prospect
Poti - I think whatever teams loses out on Leetch and Gonchar could be ripe for a deal for Poti - Al least a #2, or a quality prospect and #4
Barnaby/Simon/Rucinsky/Mironov - a #3 or #4

If you add up the math, that's three to four prospects, two #1's, 1 or 2 #2's, and four picks in #3-#4 range. I don't think that's unreasonable at this stage.
I haven't done much research with this years draft but would two #1's or #2's be worth it? There have been some drafts that a late 1st rounder was closer to a 5th rounder than an actual 1st rounder.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish3579
I haven't done much research with this years draft but would two #1's or #2's be worth it? There have been some drafts that a late 1st rounder was closer to a 5th rounder than an actual 1st rounder.
It may be, in the sense that you could perhaps move up. But this draft is said to be fairly light on depth...

Old
02-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Fletch

Gotcha, jas..

I can definitely understand that logic and I agree. I'm not so excited to unload Leetch, believing that he would be an asset to youth that may eventually step on the ice, and may, with the help of a 'coach', help this team's PP. It'll be real tough to replace him on that right point - and no Kovalev on the left. Gotta hope Holik and Jagr get some help down there.

Closed Thread