HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto

Old
09-21-2008, 12:21 AM
JayMan82

vCash: 500
Del Zotto

Geez, everytime he had a shift he showed me something! His body positioning and reading of the play has really impressed tonight. The forward lines Ottawa iced tonight were no slouches, and I'm gonna love keeping my eye on how he does this year (I think he feels he needs to prove that he was on the same level with the big 4 that were picked so high in the draft). Watching those one touch passes on the PP truly shows his offensive awareness. He's DEFINITELY gonna be better than Sanguinetti (although I hope they're both great).

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 12:23 AM
NYR Viper

i dont know who will be better....i see del zotto as the better skater but i think sanguinetti may be the better all-around defenseman.....it seems sangs beefed up over the summer so that he can compete with the men in the AHL and may have lost some speed and quickness but he will regain it as he skates more and more.....in no way am i knocking del zotto because i really like what e brings to the game(reminds me of andrei markov) but i wouldnt throw out sanguinetti

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I don't like his passing...

I LOVE it!

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Nyrvana

obviously he had a very good debut. That was Ottawa's A team (minus Alfredsson) and he still performed well. His offensive knowledge really shined on the PP. I hope he learns to be a good defensive player and gets up here quickly.

Staal, Girardi, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto ... very solid future

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 02:45 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

He was solid the first period AS a 18 year old.

Thats about it.

He was decent, but the 2nd two periods he didnt stand out. But thats not a knock on him, hes 18!! He had a nice showing but like expected he needs more time to develop. Nice to see a peep of him though. Hes going to be a nice offenseive Dman for us in 2-3 years.

At 184 though...he needs to beef up..nice to see he lost 20 pounds (of fat i assume)..but in the next 2-3 years..he needs to add that 20 pounds back of muscle.

PS...lets be frank..he didnt stand out like Staal did at 18 in the preseason..but no surprise again. Staal is a #1 dman in 2 years.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 04:04 AM
shon

I think Del Zotto showed a lot of pose and smarts out there. Made good decisions.
Let's be honest Staal is One of the "Staal's" is 6'4' so has a presence everyone thinks he is the best d man that lived. He is good ,
Del Zotto will be great.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 05:55 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Thats about it.

He was decent, but the 2nd two periods he didnt stand out. But thats not a knock on him, hes 18!! He had a nice showing but like expected he needs more time to develop. Nice to see a peep of him though. Hes going to be a nice offenseive Dman for us in 2-3 years.

At 184 though...he needs to beef up..nice to see he lost 20 pounds (of fat i assume)..but in the next 2-3 years..he needs to add that 20 pounds back of muscle.

PS...lets be frank..he didnt stand out like Staal did at 18 in the preseason..but no surprise again. Staal is a #1 dman in 2 years.
i see that as a good thing. we know he can work offensively, but by not standing out, he showed he can play solid D too. for a defenseman, standing out is often a bad thing (see: marek malik).

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 06:15 AM
eco's bones

The skating is there. He moved the puck nicely and he didn't get caught out of position. He didn't seem jittery. It was a very good showing and he looks like a guy who could make our team in the next couple years--maybe a long shot next year. I agree with Fly though--he is going to need to bring his weight back up. 200 lbs. at least and more muscle. He's got a good build so I don't think that should be a problem. He should be going back to juniors. Looks like a great pick though. Not a reach after seeing him last night to think he'll be an excellent NHL player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 07:18 AM
shoothepuck

Good to see how well he played and the composure he showed in his 1st game. He needs to develop, add muscle and get experience. He will ge a very good Dman when he makes the big club.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Ola

Tobias Enström, 5'10 175 lbs and by far Atlantas best D -- and probably would have been as worthy Calder Trophy as we have seen lately besides Crosby and Malkin.

My point is that there is defenitly room for a D in this league right now; even if he isn't big nor all that outstandning defensivly -- as long as he can move the puck.

I am pretty sure that if people in the Ranger org could go back a couple of years and change stuff theyd go back 2 years and ask Sangs to don't give a sheit about defense in the OHL -- tell him that he only should concentrate on his offensive game.

Like truth to be told, not many D's in this league can play defense when pressured by the other team. Like we have seen year after year in NY, when we play well our defense looks like the most underrated in the league, when the other team pushes us back, our defense looks like the worst in the NHL. Malik played well when we played well, and was the worst D when our team played bad.

A D that can make a good, smart play every time he gets the puck, a D who can beat the first forechecker that comes at him and by that open up the ice, a D that can skate the puck up ice -- no matter if he is below avg defensivly, is probably worth more then a great defensive D who can't play offense.

I am not saying anything specific about Del Zotto, my point is just that things have changed in the NHL lately, and you can't throw the same cliche's around anymore. About D's needing to adding weight and learning to play defense et c. Enström did neither of thoose things and still did just fine.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 07:32 AM
NYR425

Staal in his first camp did not standout at all. He had a tough time. I was very impressed with Mike DZ. It is still way to early to tell, but was a very good start. Makes me excited for the future. Hank and ? in net,
Staal - Sangs
Del Zotto - Sauer
Gaulton, Potter, Kundratek
All homegrown players. Move to Forward and you have
Dawes - Gomez - Cherepanov
Drury - Dubinski - Zheredov
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Callahan
Byers - Moore - Grachev
with Hiller, Dupont, Campbell, Strachan , Skokan, Weise, Soryal, Hagelin also around.

Glen Sather takes a beatin around here, but he has to be given kidos for the way he has built the system from empty to where it is now. We are in good hands, because the kids are alright in my book. Hope we can add, a young sniper to the fold next draft. Love the look of the defense.

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:34 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I loved the way he played. I really hope he makes the team.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:39 AM
E-Train

I thought Del Zotto looked solid the entire game and don't think Staal was so much better in that game at the Coliseum in '05. Both solid performances as 18-year-olds in the pre-season. No way to know if he's "definitely" gonna be better than Sangs. I think both will be above average. Time will tell if either of them can take it beyond that. Have to figure after a likely 2 more seasons in the OHL, DZ can challenge for a spot on the big club as a 20-year-old in 2010.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Ola

Staal was way out of place his first season in camp -- but he also is 6'4, and actually wasn't a all that early developer. Like he defenitly looked like a boy in a mens body so to speak.

But its allot easier for a smaller guy to be more coordinated at a young age. (unless your name is Victor Hedman that is... )

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:56 AM
HenriksBetter

Del Zotto showed he can play at the NHL level, for one game anyway. It is way to soon to get real excited about him. Plus i would rather see him go back to juniors or Hartford where he will get a lot of minutes as opposed to sitting in the press box more often than not with the Rangers. I would love to see him play a full year in Hartford this season so he can get used to a faster and more skilled game than he will playing in juniors. Bring him along just as they did Staal. Why rush him when you don't have to.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Garv23

I was impressed! The kid looked real solid.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Always takes the D man longer to mature, but DZ sure looked like a worthy 1st round pick last night. Lots of positives.

#1 He plays with confidence and he has an edge.

09-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Celestial Black

He definitely impressed me with his play last night and it kept going through my head that he is still quite young with a vast amount of time to get better. I think a line with him and Sangs would be damn good. Looking forward to seeing him play again.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:53 AM
FrolundasFinest

Does anyone know if he is going to be with the team through the whole preseason?

I want to know if this is the start of a trend. I was really excited and impressed by him last night. 18 year olds are not supposed to be in really good position everytime and they are supposed to make stupid mistakes consistently. I am excited to watch him develop over the next year.

FrolundasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:59 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
Del Zotto showed he can play at the NHL level, for one game anyway. It is way to soon to get real excited about him. Plus i would rather see him go back to juniors or Hartford where he will get a lot of minutes as opposed to sitting in the press box more often than not with the Rangers. I would love to see him play a full year in Hartford this season so he can get used to a faster and more skilled game than he will playing in juniors. Bring him along just as they did Staal. Why rush him when you don't have to.
No, it's way too soon to start penciling him into lineups. In no way is it too soon to start getting excited about the kid, especially when the supposed knocks on him - his defensive awareness, his physicality (?!), and his skating (?!?!) - appear to be nowhere near as bad as some of his critics made them out to be. Give him two years in juniors, and he may very well be ready to make the jump to the NHL, much like Staal did.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 10:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We knew before he was drafted that he had an elite level of skill.

The real thing that impressed me is how poised and confident he was with the puck in his own end. And he never got caught out of position.

He never panicked, not once. Against the full roster of one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

And we knew those scouts claiming he is all offense were full of it. He is a big kid and handled the physical part of the game better then a lot of NHL players.

All while just turning 18. When Staal impressed us like this in camp, he was a full year older. And that's saying something.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 12:56 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
On another note, Staal's willingness to rush up the ice was awesome. I just thought of Bobby Orr every time.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Thats about it.

This.

i was excited about him because he didnt suck, not because he was super awesome.

he showed a lot of potential, he didnt exactly dominate the game like Dubinsky did.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 01:25 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
On another note, Staal's willingness to rush up the ice was awesome. I just thought of Bobby Orr every time.
LOL i saw him get knocked on his ass once though as he tried to split two defenders. Glad to see him experimenting with it though, I just hope he doesnt over do it like he did last night.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
FYI, Del Zotto isn't eligible to play in Hartford this year, it's either with the Rangers or in Juniors.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote