HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Composite shaft + wooden blade?

Old
10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Thefalkon

vCash: 500
Composite shaft + wooden blade?

Does anyone have a 2PS with a composite shaft + a wooden blade? I was wondering because I play street hockey and the court is going to be asphalt, and I don't want to waste money on a composite stick. If anyone does, how do they feel? Like are they blade heavy?

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 04:43 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

I've used one in the past. The blade is heavy, but if you're on asphalt you have no choice. Using a composite blade on that is a really bad idea- it'll become worthless faster and cost more money to replace.

It's certainly usable and gives a nice feel for the puck.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Try and get one of those fiberglass blades for street. Wood is a bad idea, as the blade will quickly split, and wood chips will begin pouring out from it. The fiberglass blades will wear down, but you won't have issues with the blade falling apart in pieces.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:43 AM
iceman_88888888

easton makes a hybrid fiberglass/wood blade specifically for street hockey... but i'm not too sure if they're still selling or not. anyways, they're pretty nice and lightweight as well. i had one for an old two-piece and it was just a little blade heavy but not enough to notice.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:17 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Try and get one of those fiberglass blades for street. Wood is a bad idea, as the blade will quickly split, and wood chips will begin pouring out from it. The fiberglass blades will wear down, but you won't have issues with the blade falling apart in pieces.
Those Hybrid Synthese blades (not sure if they're still around) cost just as much as fibre/wood blade and are I think best thing for street hockey.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Thefalkon

Thanks for the responses

Old
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
NYRSinceBirth

http://hockeymonkey.com/easton-syner...-blade-sr.html

I use that, the Easton ABS blade in a Z-Bubble. Not too heavy, doesn't wear down to quickly either. Plus it's cheap and comes in the best curve ever, Forsberg.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Thefalkon

Anybody use a 3K blade? I'm leaning towards that because I love my 5K shaft.

Old
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I've had lots of wood experiences with street hockey, the thing tears apart in no time and splits. You have wooden spears coming out the bottom of that thing.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Definitely summed up my thoughts. There should be Koho and Easton ABS blades for $15. I've recommended the CCM Vector blades to folks in my league, either the older V20 model or the current V2.0 go for about $20-25. I personally like the CCM ones since they'll have at least 3 choices in curves whereas the Koho/Easton ones only offer one. I recently loaded up on CCM V110 blades (used to go for $50+) for $18 to use on asphalt.

These blades will throw off the balance with a composite shaft, but realistically while you're playing you probably won't notice.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
Anybody use a 3K blade? I'm leaning towards that because I love my 5K shaft.
3K blade is pretty solid, off the top of my head it's like $25-$29. My friend and I bought the same pro return Mission shaft. He put a 3K blade in there and I put a composite Easton blade, and they both felt very balanced.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote