HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais

Old
09-24-2008, 06:12 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Desharnais

I saw the 1st period tonight and from what I saw, Desharnais looked very good. He is even smaller looking than I remember, but he he plays a good hockey game from what I saw.

Just wondering how he looked the rest of the game? And for the opinions of some of the other posters here.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Kaptain Bégin

Looked good too. Was on the ice with less than a minute to go, with a score of 3-2. Pretty solid all game on faceoff. Got a pass from A.Kost goal. Nice vision on it, but A.Kost did all the work. Really think he could get a NHL chance on the next couple of year, with the Habs or not.

I'm really pleased with Fortier too. Play a real good game. Play well on PK, I saw why he got the Guy-Carbonneau award last year.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
marchabsfan

grabovski version 2

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:28 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
grabovski version 2
totally wrong!!

Desharnais CAN pass the puck.

he has a better vision of the game

he is way more responsible defensively

he is an all around player

Desharnais' offensive skills (hands ans shot) are way worse then Grabs
Grabs also skates better

They are extremely different players; exept for size, I see no similarities at all.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
I'm 5'6 as well so I cheer for him.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
totally wrong!!

Grabs also skates better

They are extremely different players; exept for size, I see no similarities at all.
They can both be pushed off the puck with a feather duster. There are similarities.

Desharnais looks like a more complete player. Not sure how effective he'd be in an actual NHL game.

09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
totally wrong!!

Grabs also skates better

desharnais had 106 points last year in ECHL. I know it's only the ECHL but to me he has a lot of offensive potential

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Let's calm down here. I like David, I really do. But his battle right now is solely to convince the management that his ECHL time is over. The guy will have a solid battle ahead of him just to make the Dogs.

Having said that and when it comes to a Grabovski's comparison, clearly since Desharnais is much smaller, his balance his much better. Still he does get pushed fairly easily and needs to be stronger everywhere, especially as far as his legs are concerned. But I like his speed but moreso his awareness in both offensive and defensive zones. The guy was positioned really well in a lot of occasions yesterday and that was impressive to see.

But potential wise, and I'm not a Grabovski lover, Mikhail has a much higher ceiling and has the best potential without a doubt. Desharnais might be fast, but Grabovski can be explosive.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
desharnais had 106 points last year in ECHL. I know it's only the ECHL but to me he has a lot of offensive potential
That is because he was on the wrong league... playing with a oplayer also inn the wrong league

2003-04 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 70 23 28 51 12 18 4 7 11 8
2004-05 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 68 32 65 97 39 17 5 10 15 8
2005-06 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 63 33 85 118 44 9 2 9 11 4
2006-07 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 61 38 70 108 32 4 1 5 6 2
2006-07 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 7 1 1 2 4 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 4 0 1 1 6 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Cincinnati Cyclones ECHL 68 29 77 106 18 22 9 24 33 18

29 goals
77 assists!!

look at his stats in the Q. he isn't a flashy highlight real player like Grabs.

But a worker that shows up every night and exeptional vision and understanding of the game, good on both ends of the ice

I have seen him play about a lot!... mark my word.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
Things like this humble me as a fan. Clearly separates me from the scouts. This kid puts up fantastic numbers everywhere, but he's small. Not even worthy of being drafted in late rounds? Oh well, I'm someone that is pulling for this kid. Even if that means pulling for him to make the Bulldogs. I'm very interested to see what he can do in the AHL if given the opportunity. He looked very good to me last night.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
1UP

He did a few nice defensive plays, and has strenght down low.

I don't see his size as an NHL deterrent, if he keeps working hard. He has what it takes.

I believe he has more potential than Grabovski.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Belso

I've seen David play at the Bell Center last year in the rookie camp. He didn't have the best shot or wasn't the fastest guy on the ice. He seemed "ok" in those areas .. As far as his hockey sense are concerned, it was one game, but he showed he knew what he was doing out here. What set him apart was the way he played the game as opposed to the other players.

David made his presence be felt every shift. He always seemed to make a "good" play to get the offense going. He seemed to understand his defensive responsibilities, and he never gave up on a play. Even at 5'6", he still hit someone when it was opportunistic too do so with every ounce of weight he owns.

There was this old guy sitting right behind me last year who said he's had been watching the Habs for ever. He made very good observations on the players which I didn't even notice. It was very interesting to hear his comments because I was learning more just by chatting with him.

At one point, David was crossing the ice with the puck and was trying to make his way into the offensive zone through traffic. He wasn't capable of stick handling the puck through and it kept going into the corner. There was a defense man who knew the puck was going there and sort of tried to push David away and put himself between himself and the puck. Big mistake! David ran right into him in the corner and knocked the defense man on his ass. David hit him so hard that he almost went down too. After he regained his balance, he didn't think twice, he went right for the puck. It was too late because the other D had it now and he passed it up but he still tried to get it back even though there was little hope..

I turned around to the old guy to see his expression. He raised his eye brows made a little nodding motion and said in french, "That kid's got heart.." That opinion was "dead on". I felt the same way...

I was a fan of his after that day and was really happy to see him succeed in Cincinnati last year.

I was also glad to see him play in Roberville and I thought he looked comfortable out there. He must have been really nervous to play with all that attention on him. Guy promised he would play for the fans there. Then there was all the Habs fan across the country watching the first broadcasted pre-season game on TV. Then most of his bosses where there like, Guy, Kirk, Doug, Trevor, George Gillett, even Gary Bettman showed up...

So with that said, Maurice Richard was small but look where his heart took him! I'm not saying David will be the next Maurice. I'm just saying that a kid with that much heart can go a long way and I wish him all the best!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
I'm 5'6 as well so I cheer for him.
That explains the avatar...

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The only non roster players on this team (so far) that has impressed me is ben maxwell.

Pacioretty has impressed me somewhat but thats mostly due to his raw abilities

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The only non roster players on this team (so far) that has impressed me is ben maxwell.

Pacioretty has impressed me somewhat but thats mostly due to his raw abilities
I liked Ben too. I sure hope he has chased the injury bug away!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
Looked good too. Was on the ice with less than a minute to go, with a score of 3-2. Pretty solid all game on faceoff. Got a pass from A.Kost goal. Nice vision on it, but A.Kost did all the work. Really think he could get a NHL chance on the next couple of year, with the Habs or not.

I'm really pleased with Fortier too. Play a real good game. Play well on PK, I saw why he got the Guy-Carbonneau award last year.
I liked what I saw from both Desharnais and Fortier as well. Hopefully for Desharnais he can have a good year with the Dogs, he didn't look so good in the few games with Hamilton last year but hope to see him stick all year. Fortier is a hard working guy that seems to always give a great effort, hope to see him get stronger and bigger.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's calm down here. I like David, I really do. But his battle right now is solely to convince the management that his ECHL time is over. The guy will have a solid battle ahead of him just to make the Dogs.

Having said that and when it comes to a Grabovski's comparison, clearly since Desharnais is much smaller, his balance his much better. Still he does get pushed fairly easily and needs to be stronger everywhere, especially as far as his legs are concerned. But I like his speed but moreso his awareness in both offensive and defensive zones. The guy was positioned really well in a lot of occasions yesterday and that was impressive to see.

But potential wise, and I'm not a Grabovski lover, Mikhail has a much higher ceiling and has the best potential without a doubt. Desharnais might be fast, but Grabovski can be explosive.

Agreed, we might very well never see David in the NHL while Grabovski has had a cup of coffee and should be a full timer with the Leafs this year.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Pr3Va1L

Grabovski?

That Leafs 1st line center?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
That explains the avatar...
no.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
OnePoll*

Mathieu Aubin is really not a NHL prospect anymore IMO.

He was so useless without any creativity.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I have to admit, I didn't see what other saw in Pacioretty last night. It seemed that every opportunity he had he bungled it up some way or another. And on that 2 on 1 (with Tanguay?), when they played the reverse angle, Max stopped skating at about the blue line which made the pass real easy to block.

Rookie mistakes for sure, but aside from his skating he didn't impress me in the slightest last night.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I have to admit, I didn't see what other saw in Pacioretty last night. It seemed that every opportunity he had he bungled it up some way or another. And on that 2 on 1 (with Tanguay?), when they played the reverse angle, Max stopped skating at about the blue line which made the pass real easy to block.

Rookie mistakes for sure, but aside from his skating he didn't impress me in the slightest last night.
I do agree with you that he wasn't impressive at all last night, but it is the first time I see him play... and his 2nd preseason. we need to give him time.

But he won't take Tender's spot this year from what I've seen yesterday

Old
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I do agree with you that he wasn't impressive at all last night, but it is the first time I see him play... and his 2nd preseason. we need to give him time.

But he won't take Tender's spot this year from what I've seen yesterday
I've seen him play plenty more impressive than last night when he was at Michigan, but I was surprised that he was that ineffective in his second pro game. There were positive reviews from those who were in Halifax though.. He's got another preseason game to show his stuff though, so let's give him another opportunity to impress.

An aside, does anyone who was at the Halifax game (looking at you WTK) believe he was better/worse than last night? I mean it was a terrible team performance, but I'd be interested to know if he was better or worse.

Definitely not a dominating physical performance like Latendresse's camp 2 years ago. However you can see the raw skills. He'll be a player to watch in Hamilton this year, for sure.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Dandes

I saw the entire game yesterday and I was impressed by Deharnais's game. He creates a lot of opportunities with his speed and determination. I'm curious to see him play in heavy traffic just to realize if he's more like grabovski or St-Louis type of player.

Dandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
goalchenyuk

he's a lot more solid on his skates than Grabovsky . Grabovsky is faster , more flashy , but i think that Desharnais has more vision and is a better playmaker . He won't be spectaculor as Grabovsky , but at the end , i think that he could be more suited for the NHL .

If he doesn't make it for the Habs , we could get another 2 nd draft choice from Toronto .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote