HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Montreal Impact..Concacaf Champions League and USL playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
OT: Montreal Impact..Concacaf Champions League and USL playoffs

There was another match with a Montreal team tonight, and at Saputo Stadium, the Montreal Impact caused a surprise by holding the champions of the Mexican Futebol League to a 0-0 draw, putting themselves in good position in their pool of the CONCACAF Champion's League.

This is similar to the Hamilton Bulldogs drawing Team Canada.

Here's the record of the team.

- Impact defeats Toronto FC for Canadian championship
- Impact defeats Real Esteli (Nicaraguan Champions)
- Impact defeats Joe Public FC (Trinidad & Tobago Champions)
- Impact draws with Atlante FC (Mexican Champions)

Old
09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

yup, very impressive result.

I hope they can play the same way on the road.
Lets not forget that 3 of their last 4 games of this round robin stage are on the road. they need to finish in the top 2 of their group.

Old
09-24-2008, 09:48 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
This is quite amazing... The Impact is losing regular season's games against average opponents, but they always seem to perform well in important games like that.

Old
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
There was another match with a Montreal team tonight, and at Saputo Stadium, the Montreal Impact caused a surprise by holding the champions of the Mexican Futebol League to a 0-0 draw, putting themselves in good position in their pool of the CONCACAF Champion's League.

Impact didn't defeat Toronto FC ... but won the Canadian team qualification tournament... 2 wins vs Vancouver, 1 draw and 1 loss vs. Toronto FC...

Great performance by the Montreal Impact to get the 0-0 draw vs. that great Mexican team...

Old
09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Woland

I wish this team would get more media attention in the city . What they are currently living through is very significant for the club. I am very disappointed by the local media for not giving this team the full support the need and are entitled to.

I finished class at 8 PM tonight and tried desperetly to find a place to watch the game down-town. Impossible....not even the cage aux SPORTS. They were showing baseball....The Expos are gone. Time to support the third sport franchise in town. At least give them the same respect the Als get.

I wish I could have gone to the game. I saw two of the Atlante FC players down-town yesterday and trust me, they are not out of a 2nd tier league.

Last edited by Woland: 09-24-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old
09-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
I wish this team would get more media attention in the city . What they are currently living through is very significant for the club. I am very disappointed by the local media for not giving this team the full support the need and are entitled to.

I finished class at 8 PM tonight and tried desperetly to find a place to watch the game down-town. Impossible....not even the cage aux SPORTS. They were showing baseball....The Expos are gone. Time to support the third sport franchise in town. At least give them the same respect the Als get.

I wish I could have gone to the game. I saw two of the Atalante FC players down-town yesterday and trust me, they are not out of a 2nd tier league.
Its Atlante. Atalanta plays in Italy

Old
09-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Its Atlante. Atalanta plays in Italy

hehe I've been doing to same typo over an over these last days.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Karpodsa

i was at the game. I thought montreal would lost 4-1....

first 15 minutes, horrible....montreal was impressed, but then, they had their first chance, and it woke them up. Montreal had the best chances tonight for sure. Matt Jordan could have stay home and the result would have been the same. No real chances by atlante. I was really impressed by Grande tonight. I felt he was everywhere on the field, made a couple of mistakes, but man can he put the ball at the right place, he gave montreal a lot of chances. Byers had a good game, but missed an open net...ouch

i was surprised by brillant too. Really fast, he "backchecked" couple of time to help his defense...

have to admit those ultras are doing a great job too...

as someone said, medias have to talk about it a lot more than they do right now

Old
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Erika

Incredible game by Montreal !! Di Lorenzo, Gjertsen, Grande are all incredible !!

It's a shame that nobody talks about this historical game !! Wake up people !! This team is pure gold !! Only 12000 people for this game tonight, I was expecting around 14000... Again, I'm disguste by how poorly the montreal media has done in covering this event... a pure disgrace... I hope more people will attend the game againts Olympia in October.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:56 PM
1UP

Also, they came from a really low position in the beginning of the season to finishing 3rd of the USL with a great rally these last 2 months.

SRC will show the odd game but damn I wish i could see them all, especially with the USL playoffs starting now.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

well, the champions league games are all on TV.

I was at the game vs Joe Public and wanted to go tonight but I had hockey.
if I dont have hockey, I will be at the last home game of the group stage

Old
09-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpodsa View Post

first 15 minutes, horrible....montreal was impressed, but then, they had their first chance, and it woke them up. Montreal had the best chances tonight for sure. Matt Jordan could have stay home and the result would have been the same. No real chances by atlante. I was really impressed by Grande tonight. I felt he was everywhere on the field, made a couple of mistakes, but man can he put the ball at the right place, he gave montreal a lot of chances. Byers had a good game, but missed an open net...ouch

i was surprised by brillant too. Really fast, he "backchecked" couple of time to help his defense...

I'm also a big fan a Sandro Grande. I hope we can keep him here for a few season. Let's hope the perspective of playing in the MLS encourages him to stick with the team.

Old
09-25-2008, 05:10 AM
HabsDood

Impact are amazinn'!

Lucky enough we get SRC's live stream..

Old
09-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
This is awesome.

I agree I wish this was on tv more. The Canadian national team gets more tv time and they are pure garbage. Let the Impact try and qualify for Canada in the next world cup.

Old
09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Next week will be the most important game of the round for the Impact.They play in Honduras and last night the Honduras team beat Joe Public 3-1.Impact and Atlante have 4 points and the Honduras team 3.

Big game next week and this weekend against Seattle

Old
09-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
This is awesome.

I agree I wish this was on tv more. The Canadian national team gets more tv time and they are pure garbage. Let the Impact try and qualify for Canada in the next world cup.
The Impact's game was on the SRC yesterday, right after 'La Zone' and so were all its matches against the other teams in the Concacaf tournament.

Old
09-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Incredible game by Montreal !! Di Lorenzo, Gjertsen, Grande are all incredible !!

It's a shame that nobody talks about this historical game !! Wake up people !! This team is pure gold !! Only 12000 people for this game tonight, I was expecting around 14000... Again, I'm disguste by how poorly the montreal media has done in covering this event... a pure disgrace... I hope more people will attend the game againts Olympia in October.

holy overreaction Batman

Old
09-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Turboflex*

Why do you guys expect the media to give it big coverage when no one wants to watch it?? They are not a charity for unpopular sports.

Old
09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
CH4

Watched it at SRC yesterday

Great game! I like how they managed to contain a stronger team. They need to vin against Honduras because it certainly won't be easy playing on the road...

Especially with the crazy Impact's schedule!

Old
09-25-2008, 08:58 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

Is there a way to disable smileys for Erika??

Old
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Why do you guys expect the media to give it big coverage when no one wants to watch it?? They are not a charity for unpopular sports.

Soccer is an unpopular sport?

ya right.
Its one of, if not the most practiced sport in the world. Maybe not in North america but it the rest of the world it is HUGE.

Old
09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While I use to play intercity soccer growing up etc, I kind of lost interest in the sport execpt maybe around world cup time. I must admit that the Impacts performance has me following more once again. Go Impact!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Soccer is an unpopular sport?

ya right.
Its one of, if not the most practiced sport in the world. Maybe not in North america but it the rest of the world it is HUGE.
I think that is the point he is making, here in NA it is below even hockey and the other major sports for sure. It would be cool if there was more coverage but not going to likely happen any time soon.

Old
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpodsa View Post

as far as media coverage goes, The Team broadcasts the games and they provide coverage during the day. The Gazette actually sends a warm body and offers day before and game coverage. I'm not sure if CTV offers highlights at night, but I know that they are well covered on English sports radio and oddly, the Gazette, whom I've criticized for ignoring this stuff. I can't speak for RDS and CKAC but Radio Canada does show the game on tape delay.

Old
09-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
While I use to play intercity soccer growing up etc, I kind of lost interest in the sport execpt maybe around world cup time. I must admit that the Impacts performance has me following more once again. Go Impact!!

I think that is the point he is making, here in NA it is below even hockey and the other major sports for sure. It would be cool if there was more coverage but not going to likely happen any time soon.
It should happen though.
Especially here in Montreal.
We only have 3 major teams, Habs, Als and Impact.
It isnt to hard to support 3 teams.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

Not even close. Mexico isn't a super-power in football. I'd compare it to the Bulldogs tying the Sabres, or something.

Still a good feat though.

Closed Thread